5kaven5lave

8 minutes ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

@Gwendar how do you feel about the WLV with the point drop. It's one I have been thinking about, especially running thanquol. I keep putting it into lists and then taking it back out.

Seems there are quite differing views on it. Dan brewer was on honest wargamer this week talking about it. Although Rob was going on about how the spell is still broken...which I think is ****** tbh, Dan thinks the decreased range means it going to block our own stuff and might be more of a hinderance than benefit, even with the point reduction. 

I dunno.. It's still one of those things that is great when it works, but when it does 3-4 MW's across 2 phases it feels horrible. It really wants to be cast right on top of a bunch of squishy heroes, but now KO is better at doing that than we are 🙄. I'll take it now and then, but overall I'd rather have another 20 Clanrats most of the time.

The issue is that it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.. Tom and Vince on WW are also quite vocal about how horrible it still is when it's literally never taken by Skaven armies anymore and always by KO that run Spell in a Bottle or whatever. I find that it's no worse than Teclis + Spell portal or the SC Comet just to name a couple things. He is right though, with the reduced range you're probably getting it out on T2\3 when your own stuff is just as likely to be in range of getting hit by it as the enemy.. and again, with the swingy damage it won't always be something that someone will stay away from if it means they can snag an objective from you real quick.

So I’ll be playing a short 1500points game this evening.

Since it is with an old buddy of mine, I’ll be going for a more fluff fun list instead Usual list I play.

So my list looks like this:

Allegiance: Skaventide
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
LEADERS
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Deranged Inventor
- Artefact : The Brass Orb
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Bombardier (120)
Warlock Bombardier (120)
 Master Moulder (100)
UNITS
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
4 x Rat Ogors (200)
3 x Stormfiends (260) 1 x Ratling Gun (60)
  TOTAL: 1500/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0
WOUNDS: 157
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

Behold my first custom Skaven heroes!!! Feedback is welcomed :)

A Warlord riding a Vermintide for 400pts...

1910853525_vermintide-ridingwarlord.PNG.80fee402496bb18bfaebffc4047efe1d.PNG

An enhanced Warlcok Bombardier for 200pts, that can throw More-more-more Warp Power and Vigourdust Injector.

1435783376_arch-warlockbombardier.PNG.3af8c811e20d3fc3c7182d45bf4c70ae.PNG

A Warlock Engineer with a Ratling Gun for some tasty warpstone sparks for 200pts...

warlock-gunner.PNG.124b8c150b4fb71d9f06a923d4cba07d.PNG

And a Warlock Engineer that boosts the bravery of nearby unit and gives them a 6 ward bubble, and an extra command point (in addition to the usual MMWP+Vigourdust). All that for 200pts!

warlock-protector.PNG.2f9858ee326e5f6df5b22814cfa42438.PNG

Cheers

Edited by Num
  • LOVE IT! 3

52 minutes ago, Num said:

An enhanced Warlcok Bombardier for 200pts, that can throw More-more-more Warp Power and Vigourdust Injector.

A Warlock Engineer with a Ratling Gun for some tasty warpstone sparks for 200pts...

And a Warlock Engineer that boosts the bravery of nearby unit and gives them a 6 ward bubble, and an extra command point (in addition to the usual MMWP+Vigourdust). All that for 200pts!

Cheers

So I’m guessing you’re already the proud owner of the new ghb

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Hey I am new to Skaven or at least thought about starting Skaven. Wanted to maybe buy into a 1000 point start to play with a friend for now. Do you guys think it is okay to play without Clan Rats at the start? I like Stormfiends. So I thought about buying 2 times 3 Stormfiends for battleline. I know I would be missing numbers but would it be that horrible that i couldnt have fun with it? If I got up to 2000 points and would look into a more competitive list I would look into Clan Rats but I feel like I would prefer to play around with the "fun" models for the beginning. 

28 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Have I heard right that it's finally the age of the Stormvermin due to a points decrease? 😅

Because that would definitely get me excited about this army again. 

Well it’s the age of using Stormvermins as a less expensive screen.

But anything else might be already too much, but who knows I might be wrong

6 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well it’s the age of using Stormvermins as a less expensive screen.

But anything else might be already too much, but who knows I might be wrong

But they are going down from 500 for 40 right? 
they already did serious work, I played that much with them, so why only as screens?

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

But they are going down from 500 for 40 right? 
they already did serious work, I played that much with them, so why only as screens?

Hey I

said I could be wrong!🤗

You’ll have to try them out for yourself to be certain of their use.

I’ll be doing the same thing as soon as I can, but till then I’ll just have a good laugh with my Acolytes at the upcoming tournament tomorrow.😁

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hey I

said I could be wrong!🤗

You’ll have to try them out for yourself to be certain of their use.

I’ll be doing the same thing as soon as I can, but till then I’ll just have a good laugh with my Acolytes at the upcoming tournament tomorrow.😁

Haha fair enough. 

where you livin that you can do a tournament 😍

the Netherlands has things relatively under control. But our store doesn’t allow it yet. 

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

where you livin

Currently in switzerland.

although I’m hoping to be able to go back to Singapore, after my studies.

Or London,

after all I haven’t been there for a long time.

Being surrounded by mostly german speaking people your English will sooner or later get a bit rusty, so should we meet you might recognize me from my weirdly accent, which I have been told to have some kind of a mixture between american, canadian, british and german.

Not sure what they meant with that, but I guess it kinda fits the skaven theme, and being  taught by multiple different English teachers, might have that affect.

But I did enjoy my stay in london, New York

and (especially) Singapore.

those were probably my best 7Years in my live.

Although, Switzerland has some great side’s that I enjoy as well (although it isn’t cheese or chocolate).

Edited by Skreech Verminking

On 7/10/2020 at 8:18 AM, Num said:

Cheers

Love the rattling  gun warlock!!

16 hours ago, Kramer said:

Have I heard right that it's finally the age of the Stormvermin due to a points decrease? 😅

I think they'll show up more often, but I'm still not certain on their competitive usefulness. 500 points (because I consider the Clawlord essential to elevate them above Monks) for a unit of 40 is hard to swallow, although there's plenty of us that run 630+ points worth of a unit + hero with Fiends so I guess it isn't that much different. They definitely won't make matchups against the current meta bullies anymore even since they'll blow them off the table before they can touch anything. Against everything else? Yeah they'll delete them, but generally 40 Monks will too.

I've been inclined to try them by doing 2x20\1x40+1x20 Clanrats and 1x40 SV as battleine.. but when I can pay 560 points for 80 Monks that will do around the same damage it's hard to make that choice. So, my ranting aside... yeah, they're great, but I still think they need to be around 360 for 40, barring a warscroll rewrite to justify their current cost.

4 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Any idea how to incorporate Forgeworld's Skaven Warlord on Your Mom in the army list? Got this model lying around, about to start it but I'm not sure wheter to paint it as a piece of army or for display purposes with some wacky colours.

Well, in my statement above this it would fit pretty perfectly. Matching a Clawlord\"Clawlord on your Mom" works best with Stormvermin present to give them +1 attack. Just a slight more resilient and mobile Clawlord is all it boils down to.

8 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

16 hours ago, Kramer said:

I think they'll show up more often, but I'm still not certain on their competitive usefulness. 500 points (because I consider the Clawlord essential to elevate them above Monks) for a unit of 40 is hard to swallow, although there's plenty of us that run 630+ points worth of a unit + hero with Fiends so I guess it isn't that much different. They definitely won't make matchups against the current meta bullies anymore even since they'll blow them off the table before they can touch anything. Against everything else? Yeah they'll delete them, but generally 40 Monks will too.

I've been inclined to try them by doing 2x20\1x40+1x20 Clanrats and 1x40 SV as battleine.. but when I can pay 560 points for 80 Monks that will do around the same damage it's hard to make that choice. So, my ranting aside... yeah, they're great, but I still think they need to be around 360 for 40, barring a warscroll rewrite to justify their current cost

Fair enough. And a bell isn’t a bad idea as well. It gets expensive. But I never jumped on the monk train as I dislike the aesthetic. 
Plus battleline, run and retreat, can get the same buffs as clanrats so buff pieces gave more options. 

and I’m not that competitive. 

but again, very valid points. 

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Fair enough. And a bell isn’t a bad idea as well. It gets expensive. But I never jumped on the monk train as I dislike the aesthetic. 
Plus battleline, run and retreat, can get the same buffs as clanrats so buff pieces gave more options. 

and I’m not that competitive. 

but again, very valid points. 

Oh believe me, I don't care for their aesthetic either, especially with being old models. I'm almost exclusively competitive (as I'm sure everyone has figured out at this point 😅) so I tend to be a bit biased in that particular regard.

I had a 15 minute game with Seraphon yesterday. He wiped my 2 Engineers off the table with the board-wide spell + run and shoot Bastilidons right away and I called the game as there was no way 6 Fiends would be able to kill\get in range of Kroak and his 5 Guard + Astrolith. Nor would they (or the 40 Monks I brought) be killing 2 Bastilidons and a Stegadon. One of the first times I really felt that there was literally no way to compete against a list, no matter what I ran.

Now, all that said... I think the following has a lot of steam, but my above point about being challenged by the meta bullies still stands strong with it:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Stormvermin (400)
- Halberd & Shield

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)
- 2x Windlaunchers
- 2x Ratling Cannons
- 2x Shock Gauntlets

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Soulscream Bridge (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

I'm not sold on it, and I actually made a different variant that took out the Bell for 6 Jezzails and replaced Bridge with Bell of Doom to give me 3 threats. In this one, you're really only rocking 2 unless you count the Warbringer, but I wouldn't personally.

19 hours ago, Duke of Mousillon said:

Hey I am new to Skaven or at least thought about starting Skaven. Wanted to maybe buy into a 1000 point start to play with a friend for now. Do you guys think it is okay to play without Clan Rats at the start? I like Stormfiends. So I thought about buying 2 times 3 Stormfiends for battleline. I know I would be missing numbers but would it be that horrible that i couldnt have fun with it? If I got up to 2000 points and would look into a more competitive list I would look into Clan Rats but I feel like I would prefer to play around with the "fun" models for the beginning. 

At 1000 points it is possible to run 2 x 3 stormfiends as battleline, but then you are restricting yourself to only using Skryre models (with the exception of one Masterclan as your general). It will be a fun army to play as Skryre tend to be the most swingy warscrolls. They’ll either do loads of damage or blow themselves to bits. 😁

You may find yourself missing those plague monks, or a hellpit etc that you can’t use without at least 40 clanrats. But as an entry to Skaven, there’s no cheaper way (cash money wise) to build a 1000 point list.

Edited by Cosmicsheep

7 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Any idea how to incorporate Forgeworld's Skaven Warlord on Your Mom in the army list? Got this model lying around, about to start it but I'm not sure wheter to paint it as a piece of army or for display purposes with some wacky colours.

Paint it, it’s fantastic in your list.

Not seen the new GHB myself, but I’ve been reading some of the leaks etc. Just read something about wards saves/ feel no pain not being able to stack anymore.

Is this true? And how does this affect our Skaven? No verminous valour or suspicious stone for verminlords anymore?

Edited by Cosmicsheep

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It did,

but it still kinda feels cheap, considering that some people are paying 80-100points to just get a singe unit up the board

Then again it is a spell that everybody can use.

Ironic a WLV down to 80, SSB up to 100 - no points change when using both.  But no other endless spell pts changes.