AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

Here's the list I'm going to run. I dropped the Madcap and Skrapskuttles for 20 more grots.

Dankhold Troggboss: 250
    Trait: Shepherd of Idiotic Destruction
    Artefact: Glowy Howsit
Troggoth Hag: 380
    Artefact: Aetherquartz-Studded Hide
Fungoid Cave Shaman: 90
    Spell: The Hand of Gork

6 Rockgut Troggoths: 280
3 Fellwater Troggoths: 150
40 Stabbas: 260

Stomping Megamob: 160

4 drops
2000/2000

6 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Here's the list I'm going to run. I dropped the Madcap and Skrapskuttles for 20 more grots.

Dankhold Troggboss: 250
    Trait: Shepherd of Idiotic Destruction
    Artefact: Glowy Howsit
Troggoth Hag: 380
    Artefact: Aetherquartz-Studded Hide
Fungoid Cave Shaman: 90
    Spell: The Hand of Gork

40 Stabbas: 260

Stomping Megamob: 160

4 drops
2000/2000

Would 2x20 Stabbas be better for board control/screening? I'm trying to decide between that or the 40 block

1 minute ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Would 2x20 Stabbas be better for board control/screening? I'm trying to decide between that or the 40 block

Entirely down to whether you want the 4 drop or the 5 drop. Personally I'd prefer 2 lots of 20, but my regular opponent is often a 4 drop too.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:52 PM, Dankboss said:

After giving some thought on the new abilities, here's what I think:

Monstrous Regeneration: Cool? I guess.

Oblivious to Sorcery: Matchup dependent but you'll be thankful you have it against spell doms, especially in this prevailing meta.

Command Trait: It takes the sting off the loss of Loonskin, as does the +1 to regen. You get half of what it was offering, but isn't on a timer at least. A fair tradeoff for the new rules.

Artifact: At first glance it's junk, however, it is something the Troggboss needed, or potentially better, the Trogg Hag. Assuming you're taking the battalion, it's fine and I'll likely take it. That way both your big trogg heroes can have ward saves of some kind. Does mean I need to reconsider Moonface Mommet. It's easy to overlook a 5+ against just mortals, but really not that many units actually get that, and in a world of mortal wound spam, I think it's worth a look.

Loonshrine: this is great; at minimum, you're statistically getting 200  or so points back a game (example being 2 units of 3 Fellwaters, each returning 2) or a lot more if used for big units. Of course, it's on a 4+ so sometimes it might not happen, but at the same time it might happen every time. This is quite a powerful ability when it goes off, especially in the late game when 3+ Rockguts come back when you need them. It does mean you can take bigger risks.

Battalion: this allows us to feasibly aim for an easy 4 drop (mine is 5 drop) which nets a decent chance at dictating the first turn. Obviously, you can push this lower but I wouldn't. Retreat and charge is a rule that wins games, straight up. The ability to not get bogged down and slingshot over to objectives shouldn't be ignored, as a lot of ground can be covered quickly over 2 turns. 160 is a fair price for such a good ability.

Overall, this is a straight buff; the only thing we're really losing is Loonskin, and as I said, the new traits mitigate this somewhat. Now, this isn't suddenly a competitive army, however there is room to net some wins against the current meta, and a good Trogg player can win often enough anyway. Does it bump them up a whole tier? Probably not, but it does move them up in regards to other armies of equal tier, at least, from my own analysis.

Excuse me im a little disconnected. There are new abilites? A White dwarf battalionbor something?

Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

are you running 3x6 and a 9er?

The List is Glogg’s Megamob Battalion 

Danhold Troggboss with battalion artifact and command trait

3 Fungoids (1 with Everspring Diadem)

3 Units of 9 Rockguts 

Scuttletide

Fungusfoot Da Foul and his Big Dummiez!

• Like 2

Make no mistake, my Troggoth brethren, this new battalion is a game changer. Troggoths are now a very competitive army as I’ve been proving to the killers each weekend. I’ll be taking them to Adepticon this year if they have it. People once snickered at guys like us. Lol, soon they’ll want to be us. Get those Rockguts built and start erasing the names of towns from maps. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scythian said:

Make no mistake, my Troggoth brethren, this new battalion is a game changer. Troggoths are now a very competitive army as I’ve been proving to the killers each weekend. I’ll be taking them to Adepticon this year if they have it. People once snickered at guys like us. Lol, soon they’ll want to be us. Get those Rockguts built and start erasing the names of towns from maps. 

#Troggrevolution

I reckon the only Trogg build that will be potentially high tier competitive is your streamlined build of all Rockguts, although that's not to say more mixed lists can't work well enough. Personally, an army made up of one unit is not my style though.

3 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

I run 2 units of 3 to sure up my flanks.

I think my wallet can handle that (still need loonshrine and troggboss).

How are Dankholds fairing? Running them in 3's would get you 2 back. But they are still quite expensive. Although they are cool models!

1 minute ago, Pitloze said:

How are Dankholds fairing? Running them in 3's would get you 2 back. But they are still quite expensive. Although they are cool models!

Fun is subjective but I run dankholds in a unit of 3 and its hilariously fun sometimes.

Are they a liability because of their bravery/price? Yep. But the carnage...

6 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

Regular Dankholds can't be returned unfortunately. They really needed a +1 to their attack characteristic buff to make them good from the new subfaction. To make them even more irrelevant, Fellwaters and Rockguts can receive their 4+ spell save which is what made them somewhat relevant.