Mitzy's Destruction Army The Meatmen of Mitzmanheim

Mitzy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Roostmanuva said:

Just looked through the whole thread, really inspirational! I wasn't sold on the gore gruntas but you have totally changed my mind, will have to pick up a start collecting box asap!

Many thanks, I think that the Gore Gruntas are a bit like Marmite, you either love them or hate them... Personally I love them I think that they are really animated and very much suit my army colours... I mean you routinely see turquoise piglets when you visit a farm right??? 

On 8/4/2016 at 10:30 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Fantastic @Mitzy, really impressed with these. They look awesome.

The time invested in highlights over drybrushing is definitely worth it 100%.

But man does it eat up the hours! #notforthefeinthearted

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:37 PM, Mitzy said:

Cheers mate, I'm super excited to get to Alliance on Sunday! The Pigs are gonna run over everything :)

How did that work out for you mate? ;) hahaha

Nah jokes aside I'm really looking forward to you posting a rundown of your games. Also, the pair of us and @Dangermouse425 need to revisit our previous Whatsapp convo.

I won't say anything more on Alliance for now as I figured you may want to post up how you got on for those that didn't see Twitter. :) 

I very much appreciate the technique of stark highlights. While blending and layers are great for smooth transitions, there's something very dramatic about stark color transitions that you get from this style of painting. Again, love this army. 

On 8/8/2016 at 10:32 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

How did that work out for you mate? ;) hahaha

Nah jokes aside I'm really looking forward to you posting a rundown of your games. Also, the pair of us and @Dangermouse425 need to revisit our previous Whatsapp convo.

I won't say anything more on Alliance for now as I figured you may want to post up how you got on for those that didn't see Twitter. :) 

Well.......

So I arrived at Alliance full of enthusiasm and thinking that my army was quite well balanced with potential to do well.

A model count of 28 models it looked really quite small compared to other lists on the day.

The first round I was drawn against @Ian R and his Stormcast Eternals force, I will admit at this point that having spent all of my time painting in the run up to the event and having spent zero time reading my copy of The Generals Handbook was a bit of a failing... I only learned on the drive up to the event that Gordrakk couldn't take a Command Trait or an Artefact as he is a names Character (DOH).

Also because I was so excited I didn't sleep well on the Saturday night and then hit the road at 05.30am (this is my excuse and I'm sticking to it...) I completely forgot about the Rampaging Destroyers Battle Trait for the whole game!

Okay that said I had a great game against Ian, he played a blinder and I completely underestimated the sheer brute force that 6 (yes SIX) Star Soul Maces in a unit of 15 Retributors, and 4 Concussors dish out. I also neglected to remember that the Retributors could teleport accross the battlefield and having finished deployment first and allowing Ian to go first seemed vaguely suprised when he landed them next to Gordrakk and smashed him off the board with just the 6 Star Soul Maces...

I guess you could describe the game as a bit of a schooling... The Gore Gruntas got their turn 1 charges in and having put two units of 3 in to the concussors and 3 in to his Judicators I quickly established that they bounce off Concussors!

The judicators were left with 1 in the unit after Battleshock but the game was lost, with no Gordrakk and the Gore Gruntas taking a pounding I was left to push the Ardboys and Brutes slowly (remember Rampaging Destroyers next time...) towards the objectives. Ian mopped the army up and claimed a major victory. He was a true gent to play and the game gave us many laughs along the way but it was certainly a wake up call for me!

After game 1 we set up our armies to be judged and voted on by the players for the much coveted "Best Painted" award. I had planned this part of the day prior to the event and set Gordrakk and the boyz up for display.

Alliance Winners.jpg

The Meat Men of Mitzmanheim, seemed to be well received and lots of players popped over to chat about Gordrakk and the ladz.

Round 2 I drew Greig Summers and his Destruction Alliance. This was going to be a tough game, Greig was fielding two Thundertusks and I knew that they would be gunning for Gordrakk!

The Gorefist formation combined with Rampaging Destroyers allowed the Gore Gruntas to make more first turn charges, they got stuck in to the front line of Night Goblin archers (hiding 2 fanatics). I also took the slightly risky decision to move the unit of 5 brutes through a realm gate, all 5 survived the journey and charged in to one of the two thundertusks pinning it in combat. The Night goblin conga line was smashed (the fanatics failing to do any damage on their counter charge) however this opened up the battlefield and gave Greig the opportunity to counter charge in his turn.

He did and after a couple of rounds of combat the brutes, gore gruntas and Gordrakk (by now heavily wounded by the Thundertusks and the vultures) were worn down. The game was essentially lost as my lone weirdnob tried to take on the might of the destruction force on his own. The end score was 2000vp to 180vp

This was a really fun game with some great moments, but Greig knew his list and exactly how to dismantle mine! Again another Gent and he got my best sports vote for the day.

The two games combined put me squarely on the bottom table for Game 3. Where I met and played against the event spare player Jan Novak. 

This was to be a great game too aginst @Ben Johnson's gorgeous Storm Cast Army. The game also marked Jan's 3rd ever game of AOS (the previous 2 games of the day marking his 1st and 2nd) We settled in to what was to be the Orruks finest display of aggression of the day (despite losing the game).

The Gore Gruntas cleared Jan's right flank taking out his Prosecutors in one round of combat and moving on to the unit of 10 liberators.

Gordrakk too made a turn 1 charge and deleted a unit of 10 Liberators, he was subsequently counter charged by Jan's Stardrake, which fluffed its attached only chipping 2 wounds off the Megaboss. In return Gordrakk dished out 9 wounds and after that the game was on.

Unfortunately we were playing Gifts from the heavens and in turn 2 my "gift" fragment landed on the opposite side of the board whereas Jan's landed in the center. He was able to get his Retributors on it and scored at the end of the turn whereas I was unable to get to mine despite the brutes taking their 2nd trip through a realmgate of the day (and again surviving unscathed).

Despite the Orruks smashing everything they were unable to remove the retributors and Jan's heroes from the fragment meaning we ended the game on Turn 5 Jan 2 points up on me.

Again this was a hugely fun game despite the outcome, and Jan was such a nice guy to play against. 

And the day was over... We then all milled around waiting for the awards to begin.

You may have heard but I was blessed enough to win a trophy... My first in fact for a best painted army. I am so thrilled to have won, this was a really tough field and seriously there were so many lovely armies to pick from! The standard on the day was exceptional and really could have gone to any number of players. Steve Wren (who I voted for) came second with his Sylvaneth and I really was not expecting to clinch the victory!

Never before have three losses looked so pretty :)

2016-08-07 21.06.41.jpg

So what are my thoughts for the next event? Well in matched play I do not think Gordrakk is worth the points, I'm not even sure that the regular Megaboss on Mawkrusha is...

I do however still think that there is a place for the Gorefist formation and the big hogs. So here is my next list evolution:

• Orruk Megaboss (140)
  • Warchanter (80)
  • Warchanter (80)
  • Weirdnob Shaman (120)
  • Weirdnob Shaman (120)
  • Orruk Ardboyz (180)
  • 5 x Brutes (180)
  • 5 x Brutes (180)
  • 5 x Brutes (180)
  • 3 x Gore Gruntas (180)
  • 3 x Gore Gruntas (180)
  • 3 x Gore Gruntas (180)
  • Gorefist Formation (120)
  • Ironfist Formation (60)
  • Total 1980

I'm going to give this a run out next and see how it fairs... Otherwise it'll be on to a Destruction force!

8 hours ago, Mitzy said:

And the day was over... We then all milled around waiting for the awards to begin.

You may have heard but I was blessed enough to win a trophy... My first in fact for a best painted army. I am so thrilled to have won, this was a really tough field and seriously there were so many lovely armies to pick from! The standard on the day was exceptional and really could have gone to any number of players. Steve Wren (who I voted for) came second with his Sylvaneth and I really was not expecting to clinch the victory!

Never before have three losses looked so pretty :)

2016-08-07 21.06.41.jpg

gorgeous army, easily deserved.

Yeah! Well done @Mitzy - I didn't want to spoil your big reveal of that lovely trophy. Congratulations. Really really pleased for you. Hopefully the first of many pieces of silverware us Megabosses can post up on this forum...though I suspect painting / sports are more likely that podiums!! ;) (for all Ironjawz players, not just saying you're rubbish! :P)

Still, we have players with full Destruction lists who can carry that side of things! @ChippyRick@Soup Dragon@Sangfroid etc (Though I think @Soup Dragon has also won paint trophies - another lovely army!)

Thanks for sharing your battle reports, shame it didn't go so well on the table. As long as you had fun in all 3 games though. I think it would be fair to say that all the effort that went into painting may have distracted somewhat from your playing preparation? Still, a worthwhile sacrifice and now you have the base army down you can look into other options going forward.

It's crazy to see how much more you get into a list without a Cabbage. That said though, I think it's a fantastic model that really draws that eye. Especially useful if painting awards are something you'll be considering.

What's the thinking behind double Weirdnob?

50 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hmm, to be honest I have rethought that, I could actually ditch both and take a secone Megaboss on foot for a nice round 2k...

I cast Mystic shield twice on Sunday and the rest of the time just plain failed to cast Foot of Gork. I guess I can actually go no shaman, I don't fear Magic like I did in 8th edition. So maybe all out face smash is the way to go!

I'll have to think how I can make a second Warboss look unique...

10 minutes ago, Mitzy said:

Hmm, to be honest I have rethought that, I could actually ditch both

I am firmly in the no Shaman camp now tbh. I just said in my thread that when I branch out into Destruction as a whole I'll look to pick up a nice cheap 60pt Grot Shaman for some Mystic Shield, but at 120pts the Weirdnob is just too pricey IMO.

For the cost of two Shaman you could take a Megaboss and an Ardnob (compendium Black Orc Big Boss for those not in the know!) or a 3rd Warchanter.

4 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeah! Well done @Mitzy - I didn't want to spoil your big reveal of that lovely trophy. Congratulations. Really really pleased for you. Hopefully the first of many pieces of silverware us Megabosses can post up on this forum...though I suspect painting / sports are more likely that podiums!! ;) (for all Ironjawz players, not just saying you're rubbish! :P)

Still, we have players with full Destruction lists who can carry that side of things! @ChippyRick@Soup Dragon@Sangfroid etc (Though I think @Soup Dragon has also won paint trophies - another lovely army!)

Thanks for sharing your battle reports, shame it didn't go so well on the table. As long as you had fun in all 3 games though. I think it would be fair to say that all the effort that went into painting may have distracted somewhat from your playing preparation? Still, a worthwhile sacrifice and now you have the base army down you can look into other options going forward.

It's crazy to see how much more you get into a list without a Cabbage. That said though, I think it's a fantastic model that really draws that eye. Especially useful if painting awards are something you'll be considering.

No more mixed destruction for me I'm full ironjawz now orruks, orruks, orruks, orrruks

5 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

No more mixed destruction for me I'm full ironjawz now orruks, orruks, orruks, orrruks

Nice!! Really interested to see what sort of results can be achieved by pure Ironjawz. I will be running them at Brothers of Sigmar (Along with 1,000 pts of @Paddy O'Sullivan's Moonclan), Warlords, Facehammer and Clash. Might bust the Flesh-eaters out for RAW as it's such a different sort of event.

Basically 120 points for 3 Ogors or 180 pts for 5 brutes (I'd always always have my Da originalz ardboyz) gore grunts and mawcrusha were already in the lists. I had fallen out of love with shaman and spear chukka anyway and foot Megaboss is better than a tyrant for less (140 over 160) the only real "loss" is the chariots which I love but I'm sure the ironjawz formations more than make up for these :-) also with compendium points back in my black Orc bosses (Ardnobz someone petition GW to change to this now now now) can smash face once more! 

@Mitzy and @Chris Tomlinyour blog posts are brilliant and you painting amazing, Mitzy you deserve the award the colours are so bright I suspect they looked even better in the flesh! Hopefully you will make it to FHGT and we can all have a sup on some battle brew and I can take a proper look

14 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Basically 120 points for 3 Ogors or 180 pts for 5 brutes (I'd always always have my Da originalz ardboyz) gore grunts and mawcrusha were already in the lists. I had fallen out of love with shaman and spear chukka anyway and foot Megaboss is better than a tyrant for less (140 over 160) the only real "loss" is the chariots which I love but I'm sure the ironjawz formations more than make up for these :-) also with compendium points back in my black Orc bosses (Ardnobz someone petition GW to change to this now now now) can smash face once more! 

@Mitzy and @Chris Tomlinyour blog posts are brilliant and you painting amazing, Mitzy you deserve the award the colours are so bright I suspect they looked even better in the flesh! Hopefully you will make it to FHGT and we can all have a sup on some battle brew and I can take a proper look

I am definitely coming around to having no Weirdnob, it just seems odd not to have a caster! Anyway You are right the points to bodies are much better spent now.

Thanks for your kind words, I honestly can say that all the love for the army makes me want to better every new addition! I will now spend my next holiday planning what to do to my next Megaboss and what "battle line" units to add to allow me to run destruction. I'm leaning towards Savage Orruks but am not sure that they will fit the colour scheme considering that they are essentially naked!

17 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

we can all have a sup on some battle brew and I can take a proper look

Now you're talking my language!! Currently feeling a little worse for wear at work after some midweek jagerbombs last night :S 

17 hours ago, Mitzy said:

I'm leaning towards Savage Orruks but am not sure that they will fit the colour scheme considering that they are essentially naked!

Yeh I am going to go with Savages, they are the nicest model option and tbh the best ruleswise as well IMO. Like you I'm not sure how they will fit in with my army and theme though. I do have some 40K Ork Boyz I painted in the same colour scheme as my Ironjawz, so could rebase them onto 32mms and swap guns for shields, so that's an options.

17 hours ago, Mitzy said:

Oh and I have entered the Gore Gruntas in to Mengel Miniatures Season of War painting competition so if you wanna back the Orruks click on the following link and Like them for me :)

You got my vote bro!

Archived