Lore reveals in GW's "500 Facts..." post

3 hours ago, xking said:

It's more, to save the surrounding Villages and cities from nurgle plague we had to burn this Village to the ground. The Knights excelsior are not wrong in their concern about chaos corruption, but their methods Are Over the Top and extreme.

For me, what perfectly defines Knights Excelsior is what sometimes happens to them after too many reforgings (how do they call them in the book?): They see the world in black and white. That's the literal translation of their ideals, there is only good and bad. 

By their view such concerns as mercy and compassion would be weaknesses that the agents of Chaos would exploit! 

They are, however, a very scary glance into the future for the Stormcast as a race of people, since each one will die and be reforged many times over before the War on Chaos is over. They, as a people and faction could easily all slide into that way of thinking as they lose more and more of their humanity each time and are filled only with Sigmar's hate and desire to fight Chaos.

I'm also not up to date on the whole Soul aspect and if Sigmar can still harvest more faithful souls (intercepting from Nagash); but even that could (if it hasn't already) come to an end or reduce significantly. Far as I'm aware Stormcast don't/can't breed so they can't make more souls nor peoples for themselves. 

Even if they can keep up with recruiting more souls for fresh Stormcast; there would be an ever growing population of heavily reforged Stormcast. 

40 minutes ago, xking said:

You can see the world in black and white and be a very kind and compassionate person. I've met people with such a worldview and temperament.  The problem with the  Knights Excelsior is their belief in "absolute purity" combined with their belief that "once something is tainted by Chaos it can not be purified and must be purged". They also extremist,  combined with the reforging flaw making them less capable of feeling empathy, mercy or compassion.

...that's... That's, like, literally what, "seeing the world in black and white" means, man. Something is either good or bad, with no room for subtlety. It doesn't preclude being nice to a person you perceive as good.

1 hour ago, xking said:

I know what it means, I'm saying they can be kind and compassionate to someone who they believe is bad.  Maybe I wasn't clear.  They believe, just because someone does bad things or is bad, doesn't mean you shouldn't be good to them. It's not just about if you view the  world Black and white, it's also about what do you view  is good. Do you view good as compassion and forgiveness Or do you view good as Purity and being uncompromising? It's not just that the knights Excelsior view things as black and white, it's also about what they think is good.

There's been quite a push behind that the Knights Excelsior are completely uncompromising - the cost of their reforging is indeed their compassion & emotion.

You're right that there are people who are kind despite having a pretty black and white outlook on life, but that relies on being able able to look at the situation in hand and make a judgement call.  The Knights Excelsior are losing the ability to make that call - merchant sold a hot dog to a suspected cultist = dead sausage vendor.  Farmer produces an amusingly shaped vegetable = dead farmer and so on.  All the decisions are purely factual with no maliciousness involved, but they're becoming less and less human as the decades roll on.

4 hours ago, EMMachine said:

The Searphon part could be simply a mentioning to the Malign Portents Story Dying Star.

damn... reading that really makes me want to create a campaign scenario (or standalone board game) set on board a crashed Slaan temple-ship. love the idea of a giant aztec space temple that's so big it has it's own jungle inside and reality warping physics.

You could start with some skaven on the hunt for more warp cheese somehow burrowing through reality into its core, sending it crashing through the heavens, people in every realm can see it streaking through the sky like a giant blazing comet before it crashes into one of the lands.

and then it's game on as every faction and mercenary band within 5 realmgates travel starts sending teams in to try and liberate any and all the space-ghost toad magitek they can loot all whilst surviving skinks and sauruses fight them off and the space-ghost toad magitek nuclear reactor powering the thing starts to go haywire, opening warp rifts and further turning it into something that looks like it was dreamed up by MC Escher and Salvador Dali.

Would be loads of options for crazy rules and levels

Im laughing at the "gotrek is so good at not dying he survived the destruction of the world that was. Hes not happy about that. Monsters beware". I have this image in my head of gotrek finding out about godbeasts and how one of them killrd grimnir. He slams his tankard on the table and says "where can i find one?!" Then he goes up to ignax or something looks it in the eye, tells it he's gonna shove his axe up its ass so far he'll cut its teeth out. Gotrek wins and then screams to the heavens "HOW THE BLOODY HELL AM I TOUGHER THAN A LITERAL FREAKING GOD!!!!!!"

On 10/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, DarkWingDuck said:

255. Malerion gifted Sigmar an arena for his Stormcast Eternals to practice warfare without risking their lives, known as the Gladitorium. Quite why Malerion did this remains a mystery.

This seems like a good excuse for a Stormcast version of Gorechosen!

On 10/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, DarkWingDuck said:

258. The Celestant-Prime once smote Torglug the Despised, Lord of Plagues so hard that Torglug’s soul was freed and reforged as Tornus the Redeemed, a Knight-Azyros with a grudge against Nurgle.

259. Tornus has since gathered a brotherhood of similar warriors who’ve had the Chaos hit out of them by the Celestant-Prime and Ghal Maraz.

And this could very easily be an interesting mini-faction release of more SCE :D

Archived