Gee Dub yearly financials and annual statement

tbh there is enough large warehouses around currently which are empty they could quite easily set up shop for a weekend event, entirely run and paid for by gw , the owners will be happy with the income for the period and gw has the advantage with the fact there is so many options around so negotiate the price. 

a touring event every few months would be great,  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/28/2016 at 3:47 AM, Bowlzee said:

GW would do well to engage the FLGS a little more, especially the ones with large playing space. Offering small prize pool as an incentive for them to run campaigns and tournaments would really help.

The Summer Campaign is a great start, involving the FLGS :) 

They do this, at least around here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/12/2016 at 8:06 PM, daedalus81 said:

I had the same regret with the Wii.  I knew it was coming and that'd it'd be a commercial success.  Ahh well.  Time to travel back in time and buy Amazon shares.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/10/profits-soar-games-workshop-fantasy-model-retailer-battles-back/

told you i should have got some shares lol.

its been on the up an up since the generals handbook released since release its going up by 325 points to 765 a share. nearly doubled!

i dont know if i should invest now and ride to slow increase or wait for 40k to get the AOS treatment, the shares to drop then invest, but if people see 40k getting that aos treatment they might buy in....

3 hours ago, Arkiham said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/10/profits-soar-games-workshop-fantasy-model-retailer-battles-back/

told you i should have got some shares lol.

its been on the up an up since the generals handbook released since release its going up by 325 points to 765 a share. nearly doubled!

i dont know if i should invest now and ride to slow increase or wait for 40k to get the AOS treatment, the shares to drop then invest, but if people see 40k getting that aos treatment they might buy in....

This is good news! They have to keep it up. 

Guys AOS was going to crash and burn the company okay? 9_9

It's a great sign that the new leadership is delivering more of what people want to buy.

A great indicator is the reference to getting new players involved, and the sets like Storm of Sigmar and the associated starter sets and the £10 paint sets all point towards a healthy future.

Is it all great news? For veterans maybe not, as a good chunk of that profit increase is the high prices onthe new releases, Acharon at £100, Typically infantry box runs to betweem £25 and £35 now, when it was previously £15 to £25 but at the end of the day, we're still getting some of the best quality miniatures on the market

9 hours ago, Arkiham said:

From this article:

But the company announced in October that sales had been boosted by the weakening of the pound.

This, rather than AoS, has so much to do with why GW looks so good. It happened to my employer last year as the dollar rose vs the Euro.

For those who may not understand why, here's a quick explanation: GW has a target revenue they forecast and announce they are going to hit every financial period, based on the British Pound. Lets say this is a revenue goal of £30 million from the US, or back in June of last year, a goal of $50 million. Lets say GW didn't have a fantastic year of selling though, and makes only $40 million of revenue stateside.

Did GW make their yearly revenue goal for the US? Yea. Since $40 million converts to £32 million. They actually look better.

One more thing that's going to help GW is the secret price hike they've put on everybody that isn't from the UK.

Start Collecting Boxes have always been $85/£50 since they were released exactly last year. They haven't changed in price, and this is correct at the old conversion rate of ~$1:£0.60, where a £50 box would cost ~$83.33. At the current conversion rate though, a £50 box would be ~$61 (which is one hell of a bargain for us 'Muricans). The problem here (and what makes things crooked) is that GW has continued to use the old conversion rate to set the new prices (See Gathering Storm's price of $50/£30). Really this goes for any currency that has seen a major gain vs the GBP (which should be almost everybody that didn't have their economy collapse in the past 6 months)

And no, there isn't a case to be made for shipping/handling. Because of how everything would be sent in bulk to a warehouses in the US, the addition we might see may only be as low as the ~$1.67 difference that gets us from $83.33 to $85.

4 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

From this article:

This, rather than AoS, has so much to do with why GW looks so good. It happened to my employer last year as the dollar rose vs the Euro.

For those who may not understand why, here's a quick explanation: GW has a target revenue they forecast and announce they are going to hit every financial period, based on the British Pound. Lets say this is a revenue goal of £30 million from the US, or back in June of last year, a goal of $50 million. Lets say GW didn't have a fantastic year of selling though, and makes only $40 million of revenue stateside.

Did GW make their yearly revenue goal for the US? Yea. Since $40 million converts to £32 million. They actually look better.

One more thing that's going to help GW is the secret price hike they've put on everybody that isn't from the UK.

Start Collecting Boxes have always been $85/£50 since they were released exactly last year. They haven't changed in price, and this is correct at the old conversion rate of ~$1:£0.60, where a £50 box would cost ~$83.33. At the current conversion rate though, a £50 box would be ~$61 (which is one hell of a bargain for us 'Muricans). The problem here (and what makes things crooked) is that GW has continued to use the old conversion rate to set the new prices (See Gathering Storm's price of $50/£30). Really this goes for any currency that has seen a major gain vs the GBP (which should be almost everybody that didn't have their economy collapse in the past 6 months)

And no, there isn't a case to be made for shipping/handling. Because of how everything would be sent in bulk to a warehouses in the US, the addition we might see may only be as low as the ~$1.67 difference that gets us from $83.33 to $85.

Makes a lot sense actually I am quite interested on how they will handle the situation when brexit happens from what I have seen of kevin he seems like a person who would prepare for that. 

I expect the bumper profit has been a combination of AoS, a weak pound and various other items.  I saw an article on the news the other day saying that people were tending to spend a bit more on hobbies rather than on going out (so slow burn enjoyment in comparison to over in an evening).  The weakening pound has certainly bumped up the option to export to other countries.

7 hours ago, Arkiham said:

And the shares clearly go up as a direct reaction from generals handbook. 

But with trump being anti import you might see games workshop open a production facility in the old colonies :P

Will be interesting to see what happens on this front - currently with the weaker pound, there's a buffer to absorb any potential import tax increases.  GW have always been very keen to push "made in Nottingham" as a USP, plus it would double the initial overhead cost to make a second metal mold and send it overseas (all molds are made in Nottingham).

GW did have FW production factory in China, and I think a factory in Memphis. They've been closed for 8+ years I believe, they seem keen to keep model production in the UK. Other stuff they sell is made/printed in other countries though.

Edit: getting a feeling of deja vu [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pound crash may have helped, but it would make imports more expensive too, so unsure how that would balance out in the end. It makes sense to keep their prices constant though, as ultimately any loss of revenue is detrimental to the business. Heck, I was quoting for some radios the other day and the guy gave me the cost in USD because they didn't consider GBP stable enough to use for 30 day quotes anymore. Hooray.

As others have noted though, the GBP crash would only affect sale from, oh, June 24th onwards, and they showed consistent, solid sales before that anyway, so it seems that they may be doing fine with or without that buff. Also gotta consider that this period doesn't include Blood Bowl, Wrath of Magnus or Burning of Prospero, all of which appeared to be solid sellers.

Overall it seems to be good times, here's hoping 2017 holds up.

On 11/01/2017 at 0:29 AM, SuperHappyTime said:

The problem here ... is that GW has continued to use the old conversion rate to set the new prices (See Gathering Storm's price of $50/£30). Really this goes for any currency that has seen a major gain vs the GBP .

GW could be taking a long-term view, and not wanting short-time price volatility?  I don't want to think what certain sites would be like if GW adjusted their prices to the correct rate, the GBP "corrected back", and the US got a ~20% price increase ... ;)

I think long-term predictions are for the economy to recover slowly due to rising exports, which will cause the pound to rise again.  

(FWIW, I'd guess GW are leaving prices as they can because they get more money, plus doing nothing is easy...)

On 11/01/2017 at 0:29 AM, SuperHappyTime said:

And no, there isn't a case to be made for shipping/handling. 

Being used to the excuses from US companies as to why a $60 product costs £60 when $1.5 ~ £1 ... *handwave* taxes, transportation, social security, infrastructure, living costs, exchange rate variations *handwave* xD

Archived