Are Liberators with Warblade useful at all?

Lissë-Prime

Hello.

I try to find some uses for Liberators with Warblade vs Warhammer.
Basically I want to include Warblade Liberators because it looks cool.

Warblades hit and wound on 3+ and 4+ instead of Warhammers 4+ 3+.
But the bonus SE unit get are almost +1 hit roll, be it from Lay Down the Tyrants or 9" bubble from Lord Celestant.

So given the bonus, hit and wound for Warblades become 2+ 4+ (0.417%) while Warhammers are 3+ 3+ (0.444%).
Moreover, if 2 bonuses have effect, Warblades are still 2+ 4+ (because roll of 1 always fail) but Warhammer can be 2+ 3+.
Clearly the Warhammers have advantage over Warblades.

Does anyone find some advantages of Liberators with Warblades over Warhammers?

So I've played with both warhammer/shield and warblade/shield,  here's what I've experienced. 

Both are fairly weak against opponents with a decent save and increasing your to hit with a 2+ on a weapon with no rend does not net you much.  I'm currently running 10 warblade/shields with 2 grandblades and they have been fairly effective as the grandblades put out a little more hurt.  So if you like their look as I did I would just go warblades.

The advantage of Warblades is mainly aesthetic. If you, however, are fighting a unit that gives a minus to hit (such as Dryads or Plaguebearers) then the Warblade is marginally better.

However, as The Jabber Tzeentch has said the difference is really minimal (against a model with a 4+ save we are talking about Warhammer's doing about 1 extra wound every 65 or so attacks) and not enough to my mind to require that one or the other is worthless.

21 hours ago, Lissë-Prime said:

Does anyone find some advantages of Liberators with Warblades over Warhammers?

They don't snap off like the Hammers!! (well, like the starter set ones anyway!)

21 hours ago, Lissë-Prime said:

Basically I want to include Warblade Liberators because it looks cool.

You just answered your own question bro!

I know people will tell you all the reasons why Hammers are better, but I really think its negligible. Just go for the ones you like best :) 

I'd completely forgotten that Liberators come with the option of warblades, only having the starter set ones at the moment. Another box alongside some more Retributors and Judicators has just become a must - after all, hammers are cool, but swords are cooler :D 

Archived