What's hot for Grots?

Ademo

Hi all, just wondering what people's preferred loadout is for moonclan grots (night goblins) on foot? For context - this is to go in a mixed destruction force, so not just moonclan keyword. I'm open to using alongside a boss in order to grab the boost from command ability though. How many do you use in a unit? Which banner do you feel works best for them? What role do they have? 

So somethoughts at the minute:

Run in a unit of 30 for melee units to maximise chance to get wound bonus from '20 or more'? but 40 seems pretty unwieldy in a skirmish style game. Their bravery certainly sucks!

Banners - both seem pretty useful when being shot at - is their anything to stop taking both in a single unit?

Spears - not entirely sure if the extra range makes it worth -1 to hit (compared to the stabba)?

Stabba - seems the rounded choice (4+/4+)

Bow - gives a ranged option but at only 16" likely to miss and then get squashed by anything coming at them? Perhaps deploy them next to a scarier unit to draw attention from them and allow them to chip away? Worth taking in smaller units? 10? 20?

Nets - seem excellent - the -1 to wound feels worth it to get 3 attacks and enemy 'to hit' denial but how many to take?

SKARSNIK SKARSNIK SKARSNIK

I like Spears for 30-40 sized units, with 8 barbed netters (great vs Executioners/Retributors/units whose hit rolls proc on 6+'s) with the Bd Moon Icon & shields, & their cheap Shaman* Mystic Shielding them to get a 3+ Save vs Shooting, with Skarsnik giving them both an extra attack & BS immunity/Inspiring Presence with his top-tier Cmd. Ability.

MoonClan Bow Grots tend to get run in groups of 20 with either banner, with the Bad Moon Icon reducing casualties vs shooting as a preventative way of helping BS compared to the Grot Flag's more reactive manner.

They are nasty enough where my friends have teased me they need to be on 25mm rounds as with spears & on 20mm squares they get a zillion attacks in melee it seems like . . .

*his spell is great vs clusters of Heroes & shooting & melee units 'castled' together.

Unless you can get some buffs to hit or wound (or both) I've been massively underwhelmed by Moonclan Grots with bows.  Shoot a unit of 20, lucky to get 1 wound through.  Just nothing there.

With shields though...  So much more durable than you'd think, and with 40 of 'em wounding on 2s (nets on 3s) you just get more damage through, even on good saves, than you'd expect.

I like about 1/4 of the unit to be nets.

I also learned a new trick with Fanatics - rather than just one big unit, do one big unit and one single model unit (in Matched Play, one max size unit of 6 and one min size unit of 1).  You can still break up an enemy charge phase with the single Fanatic, then launch the big unit on your own turn when you get to swing first.

Thanks guys - spearmen with a healthy portion of netters does seem to be a very good option and I can see how it would potentially throw out lots of wounds. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry to bring this back up - I'm currently working on my unit of 40 moonclan grots just wondering how many should be netters? I currently only have 1 box which comes with only 3. I'll probs order spares from a bitz merchant but how many? 6 in total? 10 seems perhaps too many?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how many I'd use, but if you have a unit of 40 you will want to think about having them all around the perimeter in case you get flanked. I'd seen people using 8 before, so one out of every 5 with a 6" range of coverage (thinking it of 3" from the base on each side). 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, Dotification said:

They are nasty enough where my friends have teased me they need to be on 25mm rounds as with spears & on 20mm squares they get a zillion attacks in melee it seems like . . .

Yeh the difference here is pretty big (though perhaps not as bad as models that should be on 32mm rounds on 25mm squares?) and creates quite the imbalance/discrepancy.

I'd be interested to know if many people are still playing on squares?

One point to remember about Netters is they don't (usually) come with shields on the model, so are slightly more vulnerable than the spear wielders.

That, for me is enough to allow entire units of Nettas if it comes to it

Skarsnik 100
Moonclan Shaman 60
Moonclan Warboss on Gigantic Squig 80

20 Moonclan Grots 120
20 Moonclan Grots 120
20 Moonclan Grots 120
10 Cave Squigs 120
10 Cave Squigs 120
2 Squig Herders 20
2 Squig Herders 20
2 Squig Herders 20
10 Squig Hoppers 160
1 Moonclan Fanatic 30
1 Moonclan Fanatic 30
1 Moonclan Fanatic 30

Mangler Squig 240
Mangler Squig 240
Colossal Squig 300
Squig Gobba 60

Total: 1990

That's my 2k :)

12 minutes ago, Arbaal said:

if you add the doom divers you lose the battleline on the moonclan grot (they are battlelines only in the moonclan allegiance.. and the doom divers are gitmob)

Dont think so. 

Pg 139. You dont see any notes, just battleline role (exactly like git.mob ones)

On the same page, check spider riders. Now, those are specific bl, cos they are noted as so.

What you do lose, is the option for allegiance, as long as command traits, spells and artefacts go.

But then, they dont have those yet, youd have to stick to destruction ones anyway

1 hour ago, Arbaal said:

you are right... sorry.. my fault

No problem. We are all humans.

You can trade the divers for manglers if you want to go pure moon.

If the had some insane perk, i know i would.

But since they dont, 2 warmachines dealing d6 damage is too good to pass.

:)

Archived