AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I mean it may get wrecked, but thats ok if I have fun. I have LVO to go all "hardcore" on so this is more chill. We actually have had a charity 1 day event pop up on the 6th of oct so may run it then and see

Played with this last night and I got a win at the bottom of my 3rd (delayed due to him getting double turn)

Morathi
Gotrek
Hag (General, Devoted Disciples, Ignax Scales, Blessing of khaine)
30 Sisters of Slaughter (shields)
10 Witch Aelves 
10 Witch Aelves 
10 Witch Aelves 

Gotrek was a beast, killing 880pts inc the general due to him leaving a gap big enough to charge through. He did die though, as 1 turn he took 4 wounds from Dreadscythe Harridans, another 2 the turn later from black knights (rolled double 1's) and his last wound popped from the necromancer arcane bolt. So him living really relies on rolling better lol

He killed a Mournghoul, 5 black knights, 5 Dire wolves, 20 DreadScythe Harridans, Dreadblade Harrow

Morathi struggled to kill as much as he kept making his saves as rend has no affect

It was total commitment, but I think i might drop 10 Witch Aelves and with their points and the 40 I had left grab 2 units of lifetakers. Puts me at 8 drops which isnt bad

Or 5 Doomfire warlocks. 7 drops then, some shooting support and their spell plus maybe take shroud of despair 

Edited by Chumphammer
  • Like 1

Hoping to get some thoughts on this army list for a tournament I have coming up. List is 2K, with no extra points.

Temple: Khailebron

Leaders: 870

Morathi

• Mindrazor

Hag queen on Cauldron

• General
  • Crone Blade
  • Mistress of Illusion
  • Catechism of Murder

Hag Queen

• Martyr's Sacrifice

Battleline: 660

30 witches (2 knives)

20 sisters (bucklers)

10 witches (2 knives)

Other: 410

5 Khinerai Heartrenders

10 Doomfire warlocks

• Shroud of Despair

Endless spells: 60

Balewind

Gravetide

Strategy & Tactics:

• Morathi - Keep her as a caster on the vortex surrounded by a bodyguard of 10 witches (ideally on a back objective). Fire out spells to buff units far away (up to 42"!
  • General is bubble wrapped by 20 sisters. Hangs back to later teleport Morathi (turn 2 or 3)
  • 30 witches + hag run up aggressively to take an objective (buffed to the ******)
  • Doomfire warlocks sit behind the 30 witches and next to general, teleport on turn 1 and snipe elite unit or characters then run to claim objectives. Once down to 5 models use in a supporting role to cast -1 bravery (either through shroud or gravetide or both) and thus aiding the unit with Mindrazor

Also would like to hear people's thoughts on being able to teleport Morathi while on the vortex with Mistress of Illusions and then transform her (ideally now on a front objective) so that she has 2 spells and a 3+ save!

I've been asked for my Facehammer GT lists a couple of times so I thought i'd post it in here. 

I came 4th from 81 players. 

Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples
- Artefact: Ignax Scales
- Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (90)
- Catechism of Murder

Hag Queen (90)
- Blood Sigil - Sacrament of Blood
- Martyr's Sacrifice

Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor

30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers

30 x Witch Aelves (300)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

10 x Witch Aelves (120)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

5 x Khinerai Lifetakers (80)

5 x Khinerai Lifetakers (80)

Cauldron Guard (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000

This was a 5 round event, scoring was ETC style with 14 points on the battle plan and a further 4 for Hidden Agendas and 2 for Kill Points. 

G1 vs @Chris Tomlin and his Order Draconis. He had 2 drops and made me go first. Loss on the major but managed to get a 5 points from the one.  It was shifting objectives and it shifted against me late in the game when I didn't have the chance of getting to it.  Should have left some lifetakers in the sky!!!

G2 vs Fyreslayers with all the tricks.  20 Hearthguard block with Armour and -1 to wound buffs.  I won this by concentrating on the battle plane (places of arcane power) and managed to go all in on the black after I was far enough ahead to have secured the major win.  I chose to go first here. 

G3 vs @Dangermouse425 and his TerraDan list. in Total Commitment 🥳 Dan went all in for the double turn and didn't get it.  It was pretty brutal after that. Dan game me t1

G4 vs @Adymc and Godseekers Hedonites.  I took a t1 charge into his whole army with Morathi and buffed witches.  Managed to soak up enough damage to let my sisters of slaughter mop up while staying ahead on the battle plan.  I chose to go first in this one. 

G5 vs @Adam Hall with Godseeker Hedonites, this time the Seeker Cabal list with 6" pile ins.  A much tougher list and it went down to the wire.  It was nearly all over on turn 2 but a damaged Morathi couldn't quite put down the Epitome to shut off the summoning leaving it with 2 wounds and thh chance to summon back around 50 Depravity points worth of units.  Adam game me turn 1.  Morathi transformed, took a bunch of buffs and flew into a Keeper killing it in one go.  

Highlights were Morathi being a constant baller. In the last game she was 3/4" from the front line but I surrounded her with bodies so the shortest transformation deployment was directly forwards.  That meant when I went first and transformed it put her nearly 10" closer to the enemy and she ended up needing a 7" charge. 

Also, Witches buffed for defence and taking massive punches every game.  Bucklers, Blessing, Martyrs.  Its a solid combo. Late game Cauldren of Blood, Witchbrew, Rune of Khaine kills pretty much anything.  

I went first in all 5 games!

I rolled a 1 on Blessing of Khaine once all tournament, rolled a few 2's too.   Didn't miss Iron Circlet at all.  The additional prayer was excellent.  

What I did miss was a 2nd spell caster just to add a bit more flexibility in the hero phase. Not sure how I would ever fit it in though.  Morathi was in Shadow Queen aspect all tournament. 

Over all top 10 .

Luke Morton    Idoneth Deepkin    1
Bryan Carmichael    Hedonites of Slaanesh    2
Dan Bradshaw    Skaventide    3
Ben Curry    Daughters of Khaine    4
Laurie H-W    Sylvaneth    5
Mark Wildman    Blades of Khorne    6
JP Stevens    Hedonites of Slaanesh    7
James Tinsdale    Idoneth Deepkin    8
Tom Mawdsley    Legion of Grief    9
Ritchie Mcalley    Gloomspite Gitz    10

@Antipodean7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

39 minutes ago, Ben said:

I've been asked for my Facehammer GT lists a couple of times so I thought i'd post it in here. 

I came 4th from 81 players.

@Antipodean7

Certainly makes me wish I had any Witches with bucklers!  Buuut I don't much fancy painting any more witch aelves anytime soon.

Can I ask how you found the SoS with Bucklers performed?  I took 30 with knives to EGGS and had multiple instances where they just couldn't kill something that really needed to die where dagger witches would probably have been able to, and the 2 attacks with bucklers is obviously even less punchy.  Were you mostly using that 30 block for board presence/another defensive piece, buffing in the late game when their damage is more reliable?

7 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Do Daughters of Khaine ever attack other Order factions for sacrifices? I know the narrative is loose enough that anyone can fight anyone, really. I'm just wondering if they're like Idoneth in that they are known to occasionally prey on their allies.

I got an impression that they are like one step down from Khorne, and that they basically worship slaughter to the point that they kill for fun, and when it's not other people, they kill themselves.

The notion that they are any sort of nice is just a front they put up. It's quite literally an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of situation.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I got an impression that they are like one step down from Khorne, and that they basically worship slaughter to the point that they kill for fun, and when it's not other people, they kill themselves.

The notion that they are any sort of nice is just a front they put up. It's quite literally an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of situation.

I was also leaning that way, but I don't actually have the Daughters book to confirm, haha!

Edit: It appears that I do in fact have the Daughters of Khaine book and am, in fact, dumb as a bag of hammers.

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity

As with many warhammer factions there are shades to it, some of the DoK temple-sects are popular and well-regarded elements of established cities, and others (like the Kraith) are little above any roaming band of bloodthirsty murderers.  The caveat, of course, is that the entire order is under the control of Morathi and her machinations, so if she commands them to attack other order factions, even erstwhile allies, to further her own shadowy agenda they would have to obey.

The key to realise is that to Daughters of Khaine their temples are battlegrounds and their form of worship is battle. As such your witch aelf, (which we must remember is a warrior not representative of the entire population) spends copious hours training hard. For them battle is a dance, an exhilaration and moment of joy even within the brutal bloody fighting. 

Their magics are also blood based without them being vampires, so they will harvest and use hearts and blood for their spells and boons. Indeed some of their mixed concoctions use blood as an ingredient. 

However they are not in the same league as, say, a bloodthirsty vampire or khorne worshipper. For them its a more functional element of their society and outside of battle a witch aelf might be quite and reserved, but otherwise not inclined to just reach out and tear out your heart for no reason. 

Their society is also female dominated, however from what little we've seen whilst the males are a lower class and physically weaker, they are not (save by morathi who is a bit crazy) hated. Indeed I suspect without Morathi's magics twisting the race to breed weaker males the society might steadily move toward an increasing level of equal gender balance, though the religious aspects would always keep females on top.

We've seen in the novella Heart of Winter and in the Gotrek stories (he now travels with a witch Aelf) that the witches are almost normalish; its the priestesses who are bit more fevered and driven. Those closer to Morathi and also in the clutches of power struggles in the higher levels. Which makes sense and likely the higher up the power you go the closer to Morathi you get and the more they would have to twist tehir beliefs to match hers to gain favour or be forced (morathi will use her head snakes to bite those who oppose her with power and influence, turning them into Bloodwracks - a boon and gift but also making them totally under her control  -  interestingly whilst Melusai are hinted at being used as secret police by Morathi, the book doesn't state that they are mind controlled like the Bloodwracks). 

For me right now the biggest question over the faction is how Melusai and Khinerai fit into the society. We know that they are kept mostly hidden within the temples and that they are, or were, Morathi's "secret weapon"; however I think that they appear enough that they are now at least known to exist by many. What begs the question is how they operate within Khainite Society. Furthermore biologically if they can reproduce with other aelfs and what the offspring are like - a key question as the fountain of souls from Slaanesh could end (either Slaanesh escapes/ the supply runs dry or even the other Aelf gods block Morathi out of the supply when they discover her stealing more of her fair share of souls).

Sisters of Slaughter would also be interesting to learn more of as they have helms melted to their faces and are clearly religious fanatics within the faction. So how they operate outside of battle would be interesting to see. 

Plus don't forget the faction has builders and painters, accountants, farmers, shepherds and more. Behind the army is a whole faction of aelves who worship Khaine, but who don't enter into the temple armies.

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

What do people think of 10 Shadow warriors (160pts, 1 shot 3+/4+ and 2 attacks in combat. 160pts and now can deepstrike 9") in a DoK list now?

Same points as 2 x 5 Khinari for same number of wounds and more attacks

It's an interesting option, certainly,  though strictly speaking I don't know if DoK can ally in CoS yet, at least until the allies table gets updated for the new battletomes?

The damage output is perhaps a little better, though I'm rarely using Khinerai for their damage potential (aside from screen-clearing Lifetakers on occasion), and the smaller base size is probably an advantage over Khinerai.  But you can't drop them in two locations like you could with 2x5 Khinerai, they don't have the huge flying movement,  DoK buffs, or the coin flip extra flutter either.  Though of course they are 20 points cheaper than 10 Heartrenders.

I dunno, I think my pick is still the bat ladies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

Any other Cities units catch peoples' eyes for allies? Ghur battlemage for +2 run & charge seems good. Maybe 10-20 Pheonix Guard to protect the cauldron? Sisters of the Watch for ranged support (since our bow snakes are worthless)?

Sadly they can't allie with PG (well on the app) but yeah 30pg with an annointed would be a amazing anvil.

Just checked app and shadow warriors are only 110 from 160. Mistake?

1 hour ago, Chumphammer said:

Sadly they can't allie with PG (well on the app) but yeah 30pg with an annointed would be a amazing anvil.

Just checked app and shadow warriors are only 110 from 160. Mistake?

Pretty sure the app is unreliable at the moment. The battletome at least says that Cities can ally with just about every Order faction.

Hey guys I'm new to daughters, thinking about starting with this army very soon. 

I do realise this question probably has been asked alot before, but how would one go about an optimised temple nest list? I have to say the Melusai really caught my eyes and would let me play Daughters while still be different from other top lists who play a bunch of sisters of slaughter or witch aelfs.

Thank you all for your help!

18 hours ago, Xasto said:

Hey guys I'm new to daughters, thinking about starting with this army very soon. 

I do realise this question probably has been asked alot before, but how would one go about an optimised temple nest list? I have to say the Melusai really caught my eyes and would let me play Daughters while still be different from other top lists who play a bunch of sisters of slaughter or witch aelfs.

Thank you all for your help!

I'm not a tournament player, but if you want to run an optimized Temple Nest battalion, you probably want at least 1 unit of x20 Blood Sisters. Go with as few Stalkers as possible (so two units of x5)---they're going to be your unit tax for the battalion as they're the worst unit in the roster, and one of the worst in the game, frankly. You'll need a Medusae general for the Melusai battleline of course, and it's up to you whether you want to include Morathi. Some say she's amazing at being an indomitable wall and holding up any enemy unit, others say she isn't worth the hefty price tag of 480 points. It's probably more efficient to take x20 snakes in her place, but I use Morathi just because it's a cool model. Every DoK army should also include 1-2 units of Heartrenders for mobile objective capping, at least one Hag Queen, and the Cauldron of Blood with your pick of priestess.

You may consider looking up tournament lists that specifically use lots of snakes, because all of this is theoretical based on my experience playing the army since it released. But again, I don't use an optimized build, hell, I don't even have a Cauldron in my army, which is basically heresy.

• Like 1

Did a 1 day 2k charity tournament on Sunday.

As was going to be facing armies I havent played yet, thought Id take something like my Morathtrek list

Ended up being

Morathi (Mind Razor)
Gotrek
Hag on Cauldron (Catachism, general, Ignax scales)
30 Sisters of slaughter with Bucklers
10 Witch Aelves with Dagger
10 Witch Aelves with Dagger
5 Life takers
5 Life takers

Not the best picture, Will try and get a better one at Kippers at the end of the month:

I will do more of a write up when I get the lists from the people, but I went 3 - 0 and won the mini event.

Game 1: Bonesplitters (Star Strike - 19 vs 18)
Game 2: Free Cities - Greywater (Shifting Objectives, 19 vs 6)
Game 3: Free Cities - Living City (Relocation Orb, 3 vs 2)

Gotrek lived through all 3 games (down to 2w, 3w, 4w over the 3 games) but he only got his point back game 1. Yeah he got into combat and killed stuff each game, plus he was a massive target for the enemy (especially in game 3, where Duthru and 2 x 10 sisters of the water ambushed in to take him out, failed, he took out duthru and sos took out sow)

I am still in two minds which list to take for kippers, whether I wanna just have a semi comp list and have fun, and save doing something more hardcore for LVO when I have had more exp, or go for something tougher.

The list I was thinking is:

Hag Narr

Morathi (Mindrazor)
Slaughter Queen (General, Crone Blade,Blessing of khaine, devoted disciples)
Hag Queen (Blood Sigil, Martyrs sacrifice, Crimson Rejuvenation)
Hag Queen (Catachism of murder)
30 Witch Aelves with Bucklers
30 Sisters of Slaughter with Bucklers
10 Witch Aelves with daggers
5 Life takers
5 Life takers
Cauldron Guard

Edited by Chumphammer

Hello, everyone. I’m sure this is a question that keeps popping up, but I occasionally toy with the idea of collecting a small DoK force. As far as I can tell, the Start Collecting kit has gone, the battleforce kit is away, and the cauldron set appears to be out of stock on the GW website. This seems like a big obstacle for newcomers: is there anything out there rumour-wise about what’s going on?  

The Cauldron set comes in and out of stock a lot. I figure that with basically all of the factions leader models save for Morathi, its simply a very popular model that gets its stock drained faster than normal. It will be back in stock eventually - use the "Email me" button because GW does use that to pace their casting. If a model gets a lot of email requests then they bump it up the list a bit to meet that demand; whilst those with little to no "email me" requests get bumped down. They get cast, of course, just not as fast. 

It is odd that they've no getting started set, but I think that's because GW has a general policy of putting a leader into the sets where they can so that the set can work out of the box. Daughters currently have all their leaders in the cauldron and GW appears disinclined to discount that set further. It might be DoK are waiting on a second wave of models and a new leader before they see a Getting Started set. 

Personally I think armies like DoK, Fyreslayers, Flesheaters etc... are all due for a "secondwave". Now that might come like Slaanesh in a big lump; like Gitmob in a massive lump or like Eldar are getting now with a drawn out drip fed release of models. Whatever happens I'm sure they'll see their rosters expanded and increased. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had this idea and kinda like it. No Morathi or snakes, just has a good punch with chariots

Hag Narr
Slaughter Queen (General, Bliod Sigil, Crimson Rejuvenatione blessing of khaine, devoted disciples)
Hag Queen (Martyrs Sacrifice)
Hag Queen (Catachism of murder)
30 Witch Aelves with Bucklers
30 Sisters of Slaughter with Bucklers
10 Witch Aelves with daggers
5 Life takers
5 Life takers
Cauldron Guard

2x3 Scourgerunner Chariots

2x3 Scourgerunner Chariots

extra command point (or lifeswarm)

Scourgerunners give me some.good fire support and monster take down. The crossbow shots are ok, but 4 shots hitting on 3's and 2 on 2's at rend 1 and D3 damage from each unit could really help