AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 minutes ago, Grudgebearer said:

WLV stands for Warp Lightning Vortex, which triggers once you drop it and then at the end of each movement phase both yours and the one from your opponent ☺️

It also has a big footprint due to its three bases. Moving around it does MW’s and has a high dispel value. 
All very valuable things. 

and you can trap monsters with big bases 😅

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

It also has a big footprint due to its three bases. Moving around it does MW’s and has a high dispel value. 
All very valuable things. 

and you can trap monsters with big bases 😅

Ouch, that makes me feel like a terrible person just hearing that idea.

So uh quick question, something I was reading as I finally got my hands on the KO battletome, I noticed that because of disengage, I can retreat and shoot, however I cannot fly high when I am within 3" because I am still retreating and I cannot make a normal move.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

10 hours ago, Sttufe said:

So uh quick question, something I was reading as I finally got my hands on the KO battletome, I noticed that because of disengage, I can retreat and shoot, however I cannot fly high when I am within 3" because I am still retreating and I cannot make a normal move.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

"Fly High: Instead of making a normal move with this model, if there are less than 7 wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can retreat and disengage). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again  more than 1" from any terrain features or objectives and more than 9" from any enemy models."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ointagru said:

"Fly High: Instead of making a normal move with this model, if there are less than 7 wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can retreat and disengage). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again  more than 1" from any terrain features or objectives and more than 9" from any enemy models."

Ah thanks, for the answer!

9 minutes ago, Cavemonster said:

Hey I have a couple questions:
How many Sky Wardens/Endrin Riggers do people tend to have in their collections?
What endless spells do folks use with their Spell in a Bottle, or find to be the most effective?

Depends on the lists, the current consensus (speaking competitively) is that Riggers are definitely the superior choice of them. I guess somewhere between 3 and 12 is a solid number to have in your collection :)

regarding spells we have a large variety of options, I personally always take the Warp Lightning Vortex, since it is a great way to deliver an alpha strike and dictate the opponents movement early on. It has always paid off for me so far and has proved to be highly effective :)

However, there are loads of other different options, depending on your general game plan you can include whatever fits your plan the most.

Hope that helps :)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Grudgebearer said:

I guess somewhere between 3 and 12 is a solid number to have in your collection :)

So is that just 3 to 12 Endrin Riggers? Or balloon boys in general?  Thats a good number either way to work with.

And I honestly don't have any real game plan yet as I acquired my Aether War box before the pandemic hit and haven't gotten my Start Collecting box yet.  But the Spell in a Bottle just sounds like a ton of fun, but we, as you say, have so many options.  I'll definently keep Warp Lightning as a note.

Thank you for your time to answer my questions!

5 minutes ago, Cavemonster said:

So is that just 3 to 12 Endrin Riggers? Or balloon boys in general?  Thats a good number either way to work with.

And I honestly don't have any real game plan yet as I acquired my Aether War box before the pandemic hit and haven't gotten my Start Collecting box yet.  But the Spell in a Bottle just sounds like a ton of fun, but we, as you say, have so many options.  I'll definently keep Warp Lightning as a note.

Thank you for your time to answer my questions!

I would suggest 6 of each as a good starting point, probably expanding into riggers a bit more as they are generally just better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cavemonster said:

How many Sky Wardens/Endrin Riggers do people tend to have in their collections?
What endless spells do folks use with their Spell in a Bottle, or find to be the most effective?

I have six all with saws. And working on six more with special weapons.

And I might just get 3 more and modelling them as skywardens. The reason for that is I’m planning to get a last start collecting and I’m not going to use more than 12 endrinriggers. Plus big chance next ghb/faq they will make them more competitive as they are so rarely used. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kramer said:

I have six all with saws. And working on six more with special weapons.

And I might just get 3 more and modelling them as skywardens. The reason for that is I’m planning to get a last start collecting and I’m not going to use more than 12 endrinriggers. Plus big chance next ghb/faq they will make them more competitive as they are so rarely used. 

That is what I am hoping, with my rather large collection of sky wardens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cavemonster said:

This depends upon what you are wanting to do with them.

For Endrinriggers, I personally am planning to stop at 12 (have 9 at the moment) so that I can deploy 2 squads of 6.  I struggle to find more than 400 points in a list for them, unless the list is based solely around them.  And at $50/3... it is really hard to want to build a huge collection of them.

Skywardens are a bit different.  Basically, they aren't worth running at all unless  you are willing to run Barak Zon.  However, if you are running Barak Zon, I would consider running a block of 12 of them.  Maybe even 2 blocks.  Since they can't shoot after flying high (pistol range is too short), and they don't really buff the boats, it only really makes sense to run them if you are planning to use them like cavalry and charge on in.  However, a block of 6 is only going to do ~14 damage on average before saves, which is barely enough to punch through a screen - and that is if they go 100% pikes and pistols.  They also don't get any bonuses to charge, unless they change one of their pikes out for a Grapnel Launcher, which means less damage in melee - and the grapnel launcher only gives a +1 bonus to charges, and 8" charges aren't all that much more reliable than 9" charges.  Hence the consideration for a block of 12, which will put out ~28 damage before saves in melee, and since they all have 2" reach they can all get in melee pretty easily.  12" move is also pretty quick for zipping around the board.

As for endless spells, the "standard" ones are the Skaven Warp Lightning Vortex or the stormcast Everblaze Comet.  After those, the next best is probably going to be geminids.  Overall, I am not a huge fan of it, and I don't think a 1 shot effect of the spell is really worth the points most of the time.  But you do you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, readercolin said:

They also don't get any bonuses to charge, unless they change one of their pikes out for a Grapnel Launcher, which means less damage in melee - and the grapnel launcher only gives a +1 bonus to charges, and 8" charges aren't all that much more reliable than 9" charges. 

Skyhook actually😉, grapnel stops enemy from retreating. Also while 9" charge is at 28% (48% with reroll) 8" charge is already at 42% (66% with reroll)

As for the question I have 15 skyriggers, 4 of pikes/saws each, 2 drills (endrin), 2 volley guns (sky) and grapnel & skyhook (sky). When I will consider some tournaments or leagues I will add more.

• Thanks 1

Another point for Skywardens with Special Weapons is that if you put them on the Grundstock Scort Wing, they lower your army drops and are a bit better for shooting with the batallion bonus than endrinriggers... 

Btw, I still think that Skywardens are not worth enough (Barak-Zon being an exception).

can I argue another use of skywardens. Not my idea and haven’t tested it. But a user here swore by taking dwarf warriors (so maybe in thryng). 
sticking zkywardens behind that screen and poking over that. Before flying over your opponent in your turn to threaten objective if need be  

again haven’t tried it with skywardens. I used the trick occasionally with gnoblars and ironguts. But that’s a bit apples and pears. Still fruit but very different trees.  

and you’d still need a way to boost them otherwise it isn’t worth it. Even against a double it’s not going to change all that much. But again that’s me thinking about it, and in the real game it might be different. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

can I argue another use of skywardens. Not my idea and haven’t tested it. But a user here swore by taking dwarf warriors (so maybe in thryng). 
sticking zkywardens behind that screen and poking over that. Before flying over your opponent in your turn to threaten objective if need be  

again haven’t tried it with skywardens. I used the trick occasionally with gnoblars and ironguts. But that’s a bit apples and pears. Still fruit but very different trees.  

and you’d still need a way to boost them otherwise it isn’t worth it. Even against a double it’s not going to change all that much. But again that’s me thinking about it, and in the real game it might be different. 

Hmmmmmm. This gives me much to think about, I am assuming I could use Ironbreakers? They have a good save so I think it would work as the screening unit, and small bases so I could maybe even stick a double line of Ironbreakers. Once I can game I am definitely going to try that, as an alternate Thryng strat.

Edited by Sttufe
Woops

2 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Hmmmmmm. This gives me much to think about, I am assuming I could use hammerers? They have a good save so I think it would work as the screening unit, and small bases so I could maybe even stick a double line of hammerers. Once I can game I am definitely going to try that, as an alternate Thryng strat.

I wouldn't try it with hammerers though. They need to be the one punching. For lack of a better word, the hammer. As an anvil Longbeards (cheapest option, 3+ save in combat), Ironbreakers (more expensive but 3+ save in general). Those would be better anvils in bigger nummers. 

For a screen it's just cheap bodies that you need. So I'd say Longbeards if you want dispossesd. But thinking about it Arkanauts are perfect for this role. Cheap bodies, that can contribute if you don't need them as a screen. 

Again, never tried it myself though. Want to make that abundantly clear 😂

15 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I wouldn't try it with hammerers though. They need to be the one punching. For lack of a better word, the hammer. As an anvil Longbeards (cheapest option, 3+ save in combat), Ironbreakers (more expensive but 3+ save in general). Those would be better anvils in bigger nummers. 

For a screen it's just cheap bodies that you need. So I'd say Longbeards if you want dispossesd. But thinking about it Arkanauts are perfect for this role. Cheap bodies, that can contribute if you don't need them as a screen. 

Again, never tried it myself though. Want to make that abundantly clear 😂

Woops wrong unit I meant ironbreakers, although arkanauts could work too.

8 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Someone has been advising me to include about 10 Grundstok Thunderers in my Greywater Fastness list. 

what’s the best loadout for these boys? 1 of each weapon they can have? 

Without any strategy in mind, I would say something like:

If you want range (18"): Full Aethershock Rifle and 1 Double-barrelled Aethershot Rifle

If you want damage (max dmg at 9", good dmg at 12"): Max Aethercannon, max Decksweeper, max Fumigators, 1 Grundstock Mortar, all other models with Aethershock Rifle and 1 Double-barrelled Aethershot Rifle.

10 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Someone has been advising me to include about 10 Grundstok Thunderers in my Greywater Fastness list. 

what’s the best loadout for these boys? 1 of each weapon they can have? 

First you need to wonder why?

In Greywater Fastness, Irondrakes are quite good. They have 3/3/-1/1 at 16", but if there are no enemies in 3", get an extra attack at 15 pts per model. They have save 4, 3 vs missile.

Thunderers have 3/4/-1/2 at 18 with rifles, and get an extra attach if enemy within 3, but they are 24 points per model. They have save 4 and 2 wounds per model.

Thunderers deal less damage per point even when equipped with special weapons, and are about as survivable. Only when the enemy is within 3 or 16-18 away, will they outgun them.

Then there's the matter of the command trait Drillmaster (reroll ones to hit) and command ability (giving +1 to hit) not working on Thunderers.