AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Marthen said:

So should Kharadron ever get a 2.0 battletome, any thought how endless spells will be addressed? 

Only GW knows the answer.
Imo, the main KO problem is their design. Interactions between ships and arkanauts are a must. I don't know about Endless Spells Endless <something>, but our scenary could be a lot of things (from small turrets to zonbeks).

33 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Who would 'cast'/build/deploy them? GW would probably make the Endrinmaster the only hero that could since he already is the repair guys

Hopefully. I’m guessing it’s weather related so I expect the navigator to play some part. More of a ‘prayer’ type character imo. But the endrinmaster would be cooler, as now it really has no play value to me and the navigator at least has some. 

As long as it’s not the khemist that gets involved and turns into more of an auto include 😂

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

Hopefully. I’m guessing it’s weather related so I expect the navigator to play some part. More of a ‘prayer’ type character imo. But the endrinmaster would be cooler, as now it really has no play value to me and the navigator at least has some. 

As long as it’s not the khemist that gets involved and turns into more of an auto include 😂

I will be really happy if it's something that buff our ships!!!

• Like 1

I would suggest prayer-style mechanics seem very likely, given they did exactly this with the Fyreslayers who have a similar duardin no-mages issue.

It's the obvious solution from a mechanics perspective, and exactly as stated, would fit either the Navigator or Endrinmaster well to give them more of a place in many lists and make all the leader choices viable.

With that said, even now with the points cuts in GHB, I am finding the Kharadron are no joke if you are careful with how you build a list... freeing up 10% of total points with the cuts across the board was huge, as shooting has that snowball effect where when you hit a critical mass, it really starts to hurt.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, Reinholt said:

I would suggest prayer-style mechanics seem very likely, given they did exactly this with the Fyreslayers who have a similar duardin no-mages issue.

It's the obvious solution from a mechanics perspective, and exactly as stated, would fit either the Navigator or Endrinmaster well to give them more of a place in many lists and make all the leader choices viable.

Maybe. But imho,  we shoudn't get neither spells nor prayers.
We know that spells are just not for us, but Prayers are linked to "religion and gods". Their main mechanics are about "asking  them" (chosing a prayer) and then "they" answer (usually on a roll of 3+/4+). Some gods even "punish" you if you are not worthy (rolls of 1).

Kharadron Overlords don't believe in gods: Trust Aethermatics, Not Superstition (maybe  Barak-Thryng, but like they usually say: Honour The Gods, Just In Case).

Edited by Beliman

In regards to endless spells, I always thought it would be pretty cool if our faction’s “spells” would end up being special ordinance from our larger sky vessels. 

They could function just as the “endless prayers” do, and then have an array of missiles and torpedo like abilities that can range from the typical mortal wound generating AOE, to an earth shaker that reduces movement, etc.

Originally I saw this as a way to make Frigates and Ironclads more viable before the point drop and to bring us up to where new factions are in terms of mechanics while keeping us a bit separate to how that actually comes about in the fluff.

For a terrain piece a repair station would be cool as others have mentioned. I know others have also suggested a floating aethergold harvester which would also be really neat!

Hi there,

First time KO player here. They've always appealed to me so I picked up an army on eBay that consists of the following.

1x Admiral

2x Khemists

10x arkanaughts (spears)

10x arkanaughts (hooks)

3x Endrinriggers

1x frigate

The intention is to play this for Meeting Engagements at 1,000 points and was hoping you guys might have some tips for a first timer.

After a bit of reading, I'm drawn to Zilfin which seems to help me make the most of the frigate and gives me some much needed maneuverability.

My concern with the list is that it doesn't seem to have much damage in it? Having to run the arkanauts in 10 worries me as they look very fragile.

I'm happy to change up the special weapons and am not too bothered about running with what they have equipped.

I don't really want to add to the army until I'm confident I like playing KO and know what I want, so please don't suggest additional units to add, rather just get the best out of what I've got, even if it's not tournament level! 

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, Reinholt said:

With that said, even now with the points cuts in GHB, I am finding the Kharadron are no joke if you are careful with how you build a list... freeing up 10% of total points with the cuts across the board was huge, as shooting has that snowball effect where when you hit a critical mass, it really starts to hurt.

Everybody’s focusing on the point drops, which is mostly fair by the way, but for me barely relevant. Almost every faction that I regularly play has gone down. Only exception are the soulcast. So nothing (much) changes in balance for me. 

i think the most interesting new lists are about combos that couldn’t fit previously. Otherwise it’s just more of the same.

No criticism or anything. Just a thought that’s been bouncing in my head for a while. 

2 hours ago, C-sizzler said:

Hi there,

First time KO player here. They've always appealed to me so I picked up an army on eBay that consists of the following.

1x Admiral

2x Khemists

10x arkanaughts (spears)

10x arkanaughts (hooks)

3x Endrinriggers

1x frigate

The intention is to play this for Meeting Engagements at 1,000 points and was hoping you guys might have some tips for a first timer.

After a bit of reading, I'm drawn to Zilfin which seems to help me make the most of the frigate and gives me some much needed maneuverability.

My concern with the list is that it doesn't seem to have much damage in it? Having to run the arkanauts in 10 worries me as they look very fragile.

I'm happy to change up the special weapons and am not too bothered about running with what they have equipped.

I don't really want to add to the army until I'm confident I like playing KO and know what I want, so please don't suggest additional units to add, rather just get the best out of what I've got, even if it's not tournament level! 

Thanks a lot!

Your total Army is 960 points, so there’s not much advice to give you besides take the lot!

I think for meeting engagement, I’d split it as follows:

Spearhead: endrinriggers, khemist (normally i’d send endrinriggers with your ship, but in meeting engagements, given what you’ve got, these will make a decent (buffed with khemist) if fragile (so pick your targets) spearhead).

Main body: frigate, admiral, khemist, arkanauts with skypikes (buff the pikes, use the ship to get them where you want them and  get stuck in with the admiral in support)

rearguard: arkanauts with skyhooks ( late game shooting/ mopping up - and grab an objective if it fits)

13 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Your total Army is 960 points, so there’s not much advice to give you besides take the lot!

I think for meeting engagement, I’d split it as follows:

Spearhead: endrinriggers, khemist (normally i’d send endrinriggers with your ship, but in meeting engagements, given what you’ve got, these will make a decent (buffed with khemist) if fragile (so pick your targets) spearhead).

Main body: frigate, admiral, khemist, arkanauts with skypikes (buff the pikes, use the ship to get them where you want them and  get stuck in with the admiral in support)

rearguard: arkanauts with skyhooks ( late game shooting/ mopping up - and grab an objective if it fits)

Hi thanks fo your comments! Sorry if I was unclear but I was more curious about overall playstyle, which units I should try and keep together as well as input on the best skyport to take rather than the composition, which as you say is kind of predetermined! :)

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

Maybe. But imho,  we shoudn't get neither spells nor prayers.
We know that spells are just not for us, but Prayers are linked to "religion and gods". Their main mechanics are about "asking  them" (chosing a prayer) and then "they" answer (usually on a roll of 3+/4+). Some gods even "punish" you if you are not worth enough for them (rolls of 1).

Kharadron Overlords don't believe in gods: Trust Aethermatics, Not Superstition (maybe  Barak-Thryng, but like they usually say: Honour The Gods, Just In Case).

So they use technology to call up weather effects that simply use the same rules as prayers.  You get that a Navigator can already call up storms on demand, right?  I think you are being overly pedantic about the terminology here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

So they use technology to call up weather effects that simply use the same rules as prayers.  You get that a Navigator can already call up storms on demand, right?  I think you are being overly pedantic about the terminology here.

I didn't want to be pedantic (sry if I offended you, I'm not an english user and I'm not sure if I'm writing over-agressive or just giving some arguments).

Of course they can can design some "Aetheric Currents" and just use the navigator to "call" them. They can even give the Mage keyword to navigators and say that they learned from other races if they want. But I just wanted to say that, imho, that would be a miss for me.

53 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I didn't want to be pedantic (sry if I offended you, I'm not an english user and I'm not sure if I'm writing over-agressive or just giving some arguments).

Of course they can can design some "Aetheric Currents" and just use the navigator to "call" them. They can even give the Mage keyword to navigators and say that they learned from other races if they want. But I just wanted to say that, imho, that would be a miss for me.

Whoa - first thing, I'm not offended!  Sorry if I sounded like I was - didn't mean to seem like I was getting on your case.

But, I still don't see where your problem is coming from.  You are saying that if they designed some "effects" that are based in technology, but follow the game mechanics of Endless Spells, then you would have an issue? 

I don't really understand the problem.  The narrative would fit, because they are technology, rather than magic.  The game mechanics would be solved, because Endless Spells (and all the other similar things) are a known quantity at this point and nicely into the game.  It seems like everything fits to me?

Edited by mikethefish

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

Everybody’s focusing on the point drops, which is mostly fair by the way, but for me barely relevant. Almost every faction that I regularly play has gone down. Only exception are the soulcast. So nothing (much) changes in balance for me. 

i think the most interesting new lists are about combos that couldn’t fit previously. Otherwise it’s just more of the same.

No criticism or anything. Just a thought that’s been bouncing in my head for a while. 

Counterpoint: my most common opponents were Idoneth and Gobbos. The former went up, if slightly!

So for me, it's been a noticeable difference when his list is the same and mine has added units; I agree if your other side went down that's funky, but for those of us playing against DoK or Idoneth or Skaven a lot, it's been noticeable, I think.

Which is another good point: your local situation likely differs from the average of this board! Always use your own brains. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ironbreaker said:

It looks like my Dispossessed army is getting squated and I am looking for a new army. Try to sell Overlords to me. Why should I buy them? 

Hehe squat’ed.

I dont think it will. Just like the legion of Nagash book the free cities thing is just to give a lot of players a book until they get around to it. I do think everything without gromgril armour might disappear though. 

But to sell you on KO. Just imagine starting with a free city dwarf combination, maybe even add some fyreslayer, and from there building your KO armada. By that time KO might have a new book, and if not you have a fun, gorgeous and challenging army to play around with that still can, effectively, ally in your old Dispossessed. 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, mikethefish said:

I don't really understand the problem.  The narrative would fit, because they are technology, rather than magic.  The game mechanics would be solved, because Endless Spells (and all the other similar things) are a known quantity at this point and nicely into the game.  It seems like everything fits to me?

I just think that it could be a miss if they just copy&paste "Endless Judgements/Prayers". We had some fun brainstorming in our gaming group about what can be done with tech-based armies, and we all thought that there are a lot of new concepts to develop.

Some examples :

The core units that can cast spells are Mages and  for Prayers we have Priest. For this new mechanic, maybe  Navigator seems fine if we go with "Endless Aetherstorms", but maybe it could be better to give that role to  Engineers (that keywrod could be given to Skryre and KO, with Ironweld already having it, and opening the door for future new tech-based armies). Or even War Machines could be the main catalyst to "summon" this "not-endless spells/prayers"!! 

For how they should function, I'm fine having the same priest-mechanics (no need to duel-roll with the oponent). Some priests are usually punished for rolling 1, maybe this new mechanics could be punished with some type of "missfire"if we go with the war machine keywords (no need for a table, maybe fixed punishment?). If we go for the engineer keyword, I don't know what it could be, but you get the point to what I'm trying to say.

At this moment, prayers seems to only function if you take the Army Allegiance Abilities, in the other hand, the majority of Endless Spells don't need Allegiance to work and it seems fine for me if this Tech-based "Endless spells/prayers" could follow the same of rules of magic instead of prayers (in the end, it's just a man/woman/duardin/whatever that pulls the trigger or just push buttons, no need to be locked behind any Allegiance). 

That's just some random points that we talked about. I don't have a problem if we had some "Aetheric Storms" for our navigator (IMO, that's the eaziest way to go), but like I said, they can make it  bigger and better integrated to the whole game. 

P.D: Sry for my english!!!

Edited by Beliman

13 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

It looks like my Dispossessed army is getting squated and I am looking for a new army. Try to sell Overlords to me. Why should I buy them? 

The KO are a post-monarch take on Dispossessed.  These dwarfs are classical liberalists and the code represents their take on 'rule of law'. They are freebooters, they sell their guns to the highest bidder to acquire more personal property and reputation. They debate and negotiate before they lock and load. Their cultural emphasis on profit has resulted in the Kharadron Overlords developing new technologies that are the envy of the feudal and barbaric societies that inhabit the realms. A KO sky-vessel descending from the clouds is the single most terrifying sight the savage races can witness. The aerial assault cannot be countered by simple slings and arrows. The only choices are to flee in terror or die during the aerial bombardment. 

Either way, they always  surrender the booty! 

• LOVE IT! 1

So i was thinking of geting a small Kharadron army because i think airship dwarves is a pretty dope concept. 

I really want an ironclad, no matter how ineffecient it is, so all I can try is make The list as good as possible to make up for that. 

I was thinking perhaps a Bharak-Mhornar list. 

1x Khemists

10x arkanaughts (volley guns)

20x arkanaughts (hooks)

1x Ironclad

With The 120 pts left i could either get 10 more arkanaughts for either another screening volleysquad or increase The hooksquad to 30 for 3 more hooks.  Or i could get 3 Endrinriggers to help repair The ironclad and do some extra dakka, The idea of just deploying 10 dudes and a ship amuses me. 

My local playgroup is pretty varied faction wise so il have to make a versatile list.