AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I would expect something like that:

1) Aether gold as a pool (1 share for each ship, 1 share for each hero, 1 share for each 10 models in the army) 

2) Aether gold effect table (3 effects for all, +2 for each guild hero and admiral/captain/magnat)

3) New hero who will do things with aether gold or give marine keyword to allies

4) Flying transport > garrison rule from core rules. Give us our own rule!

5) Less shooting profiles (Ganhauler's carbines and thunderers special weapon I'm looking at you!)

6) Less enchantmets (some of them could be built-in profiles for some heroes/ships)

7) Unique hero actions and battalions

8) Spell-in-the-bottle removed or changed

9) More lore about unification of all duardins and Grungni with Grombrindal.

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love the new model, really hope there a option with a helm for it.

Good that the footnotes and amendments are staying, if they give us around 5~6 for each we gonna have a lot of customization options!

The book NDA ends at March 4th, so we can expect it to be on pre-order at that day, which 3 weeks from now!

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 2

So, what do you want to see in our new book?

Do you think that we are going to lose our Fly High ability with that 3D6" charge? Buffed Frigates maybe? Return of the Clown-taxi maybe? Or are we going to conitnue be chained to our Star Destroyer, aka, Ironclad with Sun + ammunition?

Can't wait to read this book!

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Do you think that we are going to lose our Fly High ability with that 3D6" charge? Buffed Frigates maybe? Return of the Clown-taxi maybe? Or are we going to conitnue be chained to our Star Destroyer, aka, Ironclad with Sun + ammunition?

Warscrolls for

• A small one person skiff/biplane (with nice I-15 vibes)
  • Mechanized infantry
  • Valkyries, wing assisted female strike squads (yes, I know that would tread on the toes of balloon boys, but I want my steampunk winged dwarf ladies)

Assuming we aren't going to get any other models, which seems pretty likely, A few things I'd like to see would be;

• Larger Garrison capacity for Frigates (11 to 12 so we can run a hero in the ship with a Ark Company without it being slowed down)
  • Some sort of ability for Ark Company to disembark and charge after a Skyvessel has moved/flown high
  • An extra bit of rend on some of our guns would be nice.
  • As mentioned, Monstrous(Ramming) actions for our Skyvessels.
  • Some sort of streamlining special weapons (I'd love to be able to run a squad of Ark Company with 3 Skypikes in 10. Thunders with 4 Aethercannons etc.) But that is very much wishful thinking and wouldn't really work with how the actual kits are setup
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

I really hope we don't loose fly high, specially with the 3d6 charge being a once per game effect. I don't think our playstyle is to far off from what you would expect, just need some better shoots and a better defense/offense for melee honestly. I don't expect us to keep the spell in a bottle, but with Gitz getting endless spells for free with a trait who knows, maybe they keep it.

@CaptainGrimm summed all I expect as well. My biggest wish is that they simplify our weapons profile. Give the special weapons the same profile and make they give different abilities if the unit has them.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

Warscrolls for

• A small one person skiff/biplane (with nice I-15 vibes)
  • Mechanized infantry
  • Valkyries, wing assisted female strike squads (yes, I know that would tread on the toes of balloon boys, but I want my steampunk winged dwarf ladies)

The rumored pre order of the tome on March 4th, don't expect new models other than our new book lawyer.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

Almost everything from excelent list by @CaptainGrimm above. I kinda like special weapons as is tough, and would actually want larger range for mortar.

Additionally bit more consistency especially on Frigate. It does not have to be d3+3, it can be d3+2 so it would have lower ceiling than IC weapon which sound themathic but be much more consistent.

I actually hope that Fly High will go away, and like you wrote maybe footnote for 18" charges is harbringer of that. Fly High is hard to balance and often can be taxing and unfun to play against. This is one of things often mentioned even by KO players that should go away.

Hopefully Iron Sky Command Abilities they mention will be decent/fun.

Also all changes should in aggregate push from Ironclad as clearly superior choice and auto include.

And generally in the same vein better internal balance and distinct roles for units. So f.ex Endrinriggers with their ship healing would stay as direct ship support while Skywardens who should be buffed in melee (or perhaps on pistols, similar effect due to short range or both) would be actually able to "skewer enemies upon longhafted skypikes or hover at short range to incinerate them with vulcaniser pistols." like book says.

Minor point is what Grimm above mentioned (better rend), Ironclad torpedoes in particular should increase in Rend as book states about Ironclads that they are "bombarding their targets from afar with [...] armour-piercing torpedoes".

Yes I am guy that pay attention to those lore blurbs.

There could also be question of giving Arkanauts f.ex. pistol shots in combat

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mnch said:

i`ll be the pesimist here. We will only get the new hero and footnotes/amendments and we will enjoy a lot this season. :(

That would be a bit crazy. There are a lot of 2.0 mechanics still there. I can't see the Battle ram with a 3D6+2" charge. That's probably 6-7mw on average!!

On 2/14/2023 at 10:07 AM, Beliman said:

1) New actions after charge for the ships (something like strike last effect so that w can hit with everything that is in the boat)
2) Frigate 3+ save and 15 models on board without any restrictions
3) More then 6 footnotes and amendments
4) 3+ save or 3w on Skyriggers 
5) Rework or removal of aethergold
6) Rework or removal of spell in the bottle
7) Fly high rework (once per game for each ship?)
8 Thunderers rework
9) New command abilities
10) New heroic deeds
11) Khemists, Endrinmaster and Navigator better support abilities
12) Stronger frigates and Ironclads with point cost increase

Edited by cofaxest

A small KO rumor is floating around, but there seems to be a bigger version of it. By what I saw so far the source seems reliable, just a tad confusing on some of the info they gave.

Looks like we got the gitz free spell for the spell in a bottle, but it's is more restrictive. Fly high still there but also more restrictive and CP dependent. I do wonder if the weapon profile of our units got better to compensate... Overall looks like we got plenty of tricks at least!

IMG-20230223-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0010.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Wow, there is a lot to unpack here! Crazy things!!

It seems that there is a melee build and ranged build, both of them using ships, but not sure how it works because balloonboyz don't disembark.

Really happy about Grundstock trait to make thunderers battleline, small step in the right direction.

I need more time to understand all this rumors but it seems that we are going to be really tactic with so many shenanigans behind CP usage and strategy.

Edit:

So, after re-reading again this rumors, there are some things to discuss:

• We can't Fly High and disembark because both comands are used in the same phase, and even with that footnote that allows us to use 2Cps in the same turn, both CPs target the same skyvessel, but...
  • ... frigatte seems to have an ability that allows to disembark with an added strike-first after a charge, that's crazy and an out-of-phase disembark.
  • It seems that there are 3 footnotes, 3 amendments and 3 articles, but the leak lists 4 footnotes (2Cps in the same phase, counter-shoot, charge with 3D6 and re-roll 1 hit each phase). I suppose the last one is an Amendment.
  • That extra-rend with a Khemist that only costs 80 points is sooooooooo juicy, and take an spell in the bottle with a free Purple Sun to go BOOM!
  • I suppose that the relic that give 1 free CP for each turn is the new Proclamator Mask-hailer and Bara-Mhornar fits completely with the idea of stealing Commands Points from the enemies.
  • I'm not sure how the Navigators works. So, you roll 6 dice before the match, and you use one of them in each turn? Something like that?
  • Grundstock Thunderers with 18" range... I can't wait to see how this works!
  • Our star-destroyer build seems to be varely untouched, even after losing +1wound from tiumphs (we can still gain it with an Article) and worst To Hit (4+). But everything seems to be better and reliable (better damage, better ways to improve rend, better ways to throw mortal wounds, a free re-roll to hit each turn and we can still remove wards). 
Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Beliman said:

Wow, there is a lot to unpack here! Crazy things!!

It seems that there is a melee build and ranged build, both of them using ships, but not sure how it works because balloonboyz don't disembark.

Really happy about Grundstock trait to make thunderers battleline, small step in the right direction.

I need more time to understand all this rumors but it seems that we are going to be really tactic with so many shenanigans behind CP usage and strategy.

Yeah, I will wait until we have the actual rules + the units profiles to judge, but so far I like what I see. Been able to embark + move + disembark in the same turn is pretty huge! Making the frigate our melee ship help give it a role other than cheap transport alternative, if arkanauts get a better melee profile it could be quiet easy to use ~500 points into a frigate + crew to have a independent ship that can put some pressure in different points.

The CP usage was something they tried with the admiral in the previous book, but his commands were pretty underwhelming. May Nar will finally become good if it keeps the CP generation. The CP stealing is probably Mhonar, which is flavourful for sure.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Mnch said:

I dont know how to feel about this, its good because we are where we are but it isnt great : /

We will see how this ends

Trust a fyreslayer player : even when every change look ******, you end up with a much funnier and effective army.

• Thanks 4

Is there a KO discord server? These rumors are interesting. I like the sound of going for a melee or shooting build depending on which big ships you focus your army around. Also that steal a CP on a 5+ would fit well with Barak-mhornar, the sky pirate city. 

• Like 1

This rumors in the vacuum make KO almost unplayable. All this "melee buffs" still doesn't solve the problem of low wounds and saves.  Still can't understand why we need 2cp footnote if Flyhigh issued in movement phase. No mw protection as far as I can tell so good luck to use your ES before khemist will die. 

So right now it looks like your spell in the bottle and bonus cp generation will die turn 1-2 from mw and after that you will not be able to do anything. No scoring from the ships. No bonus scoring for the ships. Very high cost so bare minimum for heroes will cost 380(navigator, admiral, khemist and new hero) point with 500 points on Ironclad and 405 on thunderers and 200 more on arcanauts gives up total of 1485 points with only 1 ship...  so probably 2 gunhaulers and 1 endrinmaster and 1 more khemist will give us 4 drop with 2 artefacts(bottle and +1cp I believe) that will be 1485 + 420 + something around 85-90 pts for endrinmaster. 

1990-1995 with Purple Sun. 122-123 wounds. 

Edited by cofaxest

So Brokk & Barak Nar sounds like they’re getting the Loonking treatment of being a power that can make how the faction plays much easier.

Glad I’ve already saved up to splurge on him, Drekki and whatever special limited time bundle they roll out. Really want to go with a heavy balloon force and it sounds like Brokk & Skywardens are getting the royal treatment for it to fly in and wreck face. Balloonist Bruisers! 🎈 

the Grundstock command opening up gunhaulers & thunderers as battleline sounds neat, gives more army build options if you don’t want to go with their specific Sky-ports but customize your own and still have the high-tech super guns and mini airships ready to go.

Picking a Flagship for generating more CP is super fluffy too. Love how AoS3 is handling mixing crunch & fluff together.

Lastly hope the Rally Article is real. Because that’s both handy and sounds hilarious narratively.

”Oi! Back on your feet, rub some realm-dirt into your injuries and put another Null-stone explosive round into those braggarts. You still gotta fill out your service contracts and aether-marine regulation articles for this battle so this is no time to go dying like a grot! Or by the Code I will find the afterlife you wind up in and start dumping the Skyport’s garbage there until it’s a Shyishian dump!”

On 2/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, clamo said:

Is there a KO discord server? These rumors are interesting. I like the sound of going for a melee or shooting build depending on which big ships you focus your army around. Also that steal a CP on a 5+ would fit well with Barak-mhornar, the sky pirate city. 

Agreed to both, the Pirates were the first thing that came to my mind.

Also there’s a small discord in Reddit:

45 members but a lot joined pretty recent from the news so could spike in activity.

Also AoS Coach’s discord if you want to discuss the crunchy parts

https://www.aoscoach.com/2021/04/talkin-kharadron-overlords/

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, clamo said:

Well hold the phone, guy in the comments just posted a far better and active Kharadron discord with almost 500 members.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Very nice new box, actually has a crew and flying engineers to keep the bigger Frigate ship repaired and ready to go.

A frigate and arkanauts is a pretty good start for the army (specially if the frigate gets as nice as the rumors painted)!

The source of the rumors I posted earlier also said the pre-order would be on march 4th, so it we probably can count on them being true as well.

• Like 1