AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

19 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Can anyone share any tips about painting Endrinriggers, specifically how to to hold them while you paint? Don’t wanna put them on the flight stand yet but struggling to find a point where I can sticky tack them to something for example. Ta!!

I drilled a hole in their bum and pinned them to corks with a paper clip

Edited by Scruf
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Can anyone share any tips about painting Endrinriggers, specifically how to to hold them while you paint? Don’t wanna put them on the flight stand yet but struggling to find a point where I can sticky tack them to something for example. Ta!!

I just sticky tack’ed them on the bottom of their feet. After they were assembled it was easy enough to paint the undersides of their boots. 

• Like 1

Cunning Fleetmaster gives a blanket “It can Fly High unless it’s an Arkanaut Ironclad”. 

What are y’all’s thoughts on this overriding the normal Fly High garrison limits?

In my mind, because of the way it’s written, it removes any other limitations of Fly High so you could Fly High a Frigate with 15 Thunderers for example.

I know it likely needs an FAQ, but I’m still frustrated about lingering questions that haven’t been answered.

Edited by Scruf

2 hours ago, Scruf said:

Cunning Fleetmaster gives a blanket “It can Fly High unless it’s an Arkanaut Ironclad”. 

What are y’all’s thoughts on this overriding the normal Fly High garrison limits?

In my mind, because of the way it’s written, it removes any other limitations of Fly High so you could Fly High a Frigate with 15 Thunderers for example.

I know it likely needs an FAQ, but I’m still frustrated about lingering questions that haven’t been answered.

I honestly don’t get this. If someone said claimed that was what it meant I would feel they were gaming me. There’s nothing there about ignoring limitations. You can make a normal move (with all limitations and option like fly high). On top off that Cunning Fleetmaster gives you another restriction: ironclad can’t fly high. 
I just can’t see it. And understand that it didn’t get faq’ed as a result 

For reference, cunning fleetmaster: 

‘After armies are set up, but before the first battle round begins, you can make a normal move with 1 friendly SKYVESSEL. It can fly high unless it is an ARKANAUT IRONCL'

EDIT: although I will say that GW rules translations are notoriously bad. So if your reading it in a different language there might be a difference there. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Cauthon said:

The magnet on the dude end wasn’t the problem, it’s keeping them from popping off the super smooth surface of the flight stand. I clipped mine to be a flat surface but it really needs a bit of green stuff to make a cap to hold the magnet to the flight stem.

I wonder if your magnets are too stronk for their own good? I have had no problems with the magnets coming off just being held in place with superglue. I think your way is better, but im a lazy ******, so ima stick to superglue lol. 

Does anyone have any insight on that winning KO list from the recent Age of leapmar tournament? It so different than what I've been running id love to know how they played it. 

Also, WIP of my gunhauler. Anyone know a good way to add some frost theme to the model without ruining it? I dont really wanna just start splattering Valhalla blizzard over it. I'd like it to look a bit more weathered. h2rhTDw.jpg

This is what I got messing around with the base effect directly on another ship. Not sure if I can just do little patches like this on the ship. Might look real goofy.
 8C3bJ5v.jpg

Edited by Ser_namron
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

Does anyone have any insight on that winning KO list from the recent Age of leapmar tournament? It so different than what I've been running id love to know how they played it. 

Also, WIP of my gunhauler. Anyone know a good way to add some frost theme to the model without ruining it? I dont really wanna just start splattering Valhalla blizzard over it. I'd like it to look a bit more weathered. h2rhTDw.jpg

This is what I got messing around with the base effect directly on another ship. Not sure if I can just do little patches like this on the ship. Might look real goofy.
 8C3bJ5v.jpg

I use shards of glittery stuff that looks a bit like ice, and features a lot on my KO bases.

I just thought of something. If I had say 2 gunhaulers, right next to each other, and a company in front,  then could I put them in both at the same time? And then combined with that, could I deploy half of them one round, and then have the others join them the next? I have a feeling the answer is a no, and I am not planning on doing this, but I just wanted to know.

Edit: Confusing/dumb question, don't do it.

Edited by Sttufe

4 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

I just thought of something. If I had say 2 gunhaulers, right next to each other, and a company in front,  then could I put them in both at the same time? And then combined with that, could I deploy half of them one round, and then have the others join them the next? I have a feeling the answer is a no, and I am not planning on doing this, but I just wanted to know.

This is a bit confusing lol. Gunhaulers can't garrison anyone unless they have the endrinwork for 5 models, and you can only take that once. So its already impossible. And you also cant split a unit, because then they arent in coherency and you'll have to choose which half stays and which half gets removed. 

even if you had 2 frigates than can hold 10 each, if the unit splits and doesnt get back to within 1" of another model from that unit by the end of the turn, you lose the models in the split units. 

Deployment after FAQ states we can garrison a unit inside a ship ( that can be garrisoned inside of) at the saem time if its in the same battalion, or as a seperate drop after the ship has been dropped. You also drop a whole unit at the same time, you cant drop 5/10 company as your 3rd drop, and then the other 5/10 as your fourth. 

Hopefully thats what you were asking lol. 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, had my first 2 games as Barak Nar yesterday and I have to say I had a blast. I just want to quickly share some of my insight: 

The bonus CP were nice, not having to worry about battleshock came up 2-3 times but the unbinding was actually a gamechanger.

Played against FEC and I shut almost everything down. 

1) No 5+ fnp allowing me to easily kill his ASF Terrorgheist general

2) No wound reroll saved many duardin lifes obviously

3) No run + charge got me one more round of shooting (combined with aetherstorm anyway)

4) No D3 attacks. See 2)

Those unbinds basically won me the game. 

I havent tried out Zilfin yet, but so far I have to admit that being able to compete in the enemy hero phase was quite fun. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 2:16 AM, Sttufe said:

definitely add a start collecting box. 2 Gunhaulers never hurts, another hero is a great addition, and the thunderers would really be a great addition. Build out it's sky-riggers as wardens and you ave a pretty solid base of units to build an army on. On top of that getting the navigator or the khemist is very useful, and probably another company or 2, and you would be set for most lists.

How would you kit out the Thunderers? Also, which Skyport is best for a Thunderer-heavy list? And an Arkanaut-heavy list? Also which battalions are good?

20 minutes ago, Areldion said:

How would you kit out the Thunderers? Also, which Skyport is best for a Thunderer-heavy list? And an Arkanaut-heavy list? Also which battalions are good?

Definately Barak-Nar in both cases. Thunderers as battleline AND immune to battleshock as general trait makes larger blobs of Arkanauts backed by Thunderers pretty appealing. 

I just used all rifles so far but I am tempted to get another box for 2x special weapons (only 1x mortar though just for the +1 hit) for a unit of 10. 

As soon as they are in combat and survive* the enemy unit got a problem as those 2 cannons alone can deal pretty solid damage. 

Edit: I like the Iron Sky Command as its another way of „no battleshock“ if your general dies and I basically auto include all units in the battalion anyway so its 130p for an artifact, a CP and lower drops as well as the ability. 

*Best way to guarantee it is to put them behind a screen of Arkanauts on an objective, so if the Arkanauts get charged the Thunderers are within 3“ next turn. 

Edited by Phasteon

Never played AoS (but a lot of WHFB and 40K) in the past. Got a bit keen on a painting project that is also playable. I love those balloon boys and hence was thinking about the following:

Barak Zon

Balloon Endrinnmaster (Hammer + Star)

Navigator (Voidstone Orb)

10 Arkanaut (all special weapons)

12 Skywarden (1 skyhook)

3 Endrinrigger (Volley Gun, Drill Launcher)

5 Thunderer (1 Fumigator)

1 Gunhauler (Compartment)

2 Frigates 

Iron Sky Attack Squadron

1990 Points total

This has a fairly varied mix of troops, which I like.

Idea is probably to go round with the Gunhauler, Endrinmaster and Riggers to hunt heroes / smaller things.

the Arkanauts capture objectives and make sure the Wardens get into the right battle. They seem to carry enough punch to get rid of most stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Hey guys, had my first 2 games as Barak Nar yesterday and I have to say I had a blast. I just want to quickly share some of my insight: 

The bonus CP were nice, not having to worry about battleshock came up 2-3 times but the unbinding was actually a gamechanger.

Played against FEC and I shut almost everything down. 

1) No 5+ fnp allowing me to easily kill his ASF Terrorgheist general

2) No wound reroll saved many duardin lifes obviously

3) No run + charge got me one more round of shooting (combined with aetherstorm anyway)

4) No D3 attacks. See 2)

Those unbinds basically won me the game. 

I havent tried out Zilfin yet, but so far I have to admit that being able to compete in the enemy hero phase was quite fun. 

What was your list? What other Baraks have you used so far?

25 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

What was your list? What other Baraks have you used so far?

We played ~1600-1700 pts, I had: 

Endrinmaster w dirigible

Khemist

Navigator

10 Arkanauts

10 Thunderers

6 Riggers

Gunhauler

Ironclad

pretty standard imo. 

Tried Urbaz so far.

18 hours ago, Areldion said:

In terms of how I am building mine, i build them with all specials because I like to play wardens and a fun surprise for the enemy is the 5 thunderers and the gunhauler backing the wardens from 9" away. Good times. This is very specific for Zon though, would not recommend trying that with another skyport.

For a more long ranged list, say thunderers providing some longer ranged fire support from a distant ironclad, you should go with rifles as they have a lot more range. Although it never hurts to have a fumigator, that's only if your going in close as theoretically if they have rifles nothing should be hitting them. Should.

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Areldion said:

My personal opinion is that rifles are better because the damage difference is minimal. But at the same the rifles have better utility due to their range and as a side argument it speeds up the game. For example it’s easier to stand behind a line of arkanauts and still reach what you want to reach. If they are in a ship that flies high you Need to land more than 9” away from your enemies. With special weapons that means an opponent only needs to put his important models 3 “ behind his front line and they will be out of range. Vs having to hide those models 9” away behind his screens vs rifles. 
If your walking them across the battlefield I’d also argue for rifles. With special weapons the threat range is 12 +4 movement. There are plenty of things that can move 16” in a turn. Having a threat range of 18+4 isn’t a guarantee. But it makes it a bit harder for your opponent to cross your shooting range in one go. But a fumigator or two in there would be worth it then for me.

but different play styles mean it might other players might disagree. So if you have the chance maybe magnetise a few and have a few games just to see what works for you. 

Barak nar has a few things going for it when going heavy on the infantry. So that would be the first port I’d try. 
secondly I’d give urbaz a go because you will get into combat more so more chances to spend aether gold and that port is all about making the most of it. And a khemist might work very well for you. 

22 hours ago, Skyward said:

Never played AoS (but a lot of WHFB and 40K) in the past. Got a bit keen on a painting project that is also playable. I love those balloon boys and hence was thinking about the following:

Barak Zon

Balloon Endrinnmaster (Hammer + Star)

Navigator (Voidstone Orb)

12 Skywarden (1 skyhook)

5 Thunderer (1 Fumigator)

1 Gunhauler (Compartment)

2 Frigates 

Iron Sky Attack Squadron

1990 Points total

This has a fairly varied mix of troops, which I like.

Idea is probably to go round with the Gunhauler, Endrinmaster and Riggers to hunt heroes / smaller things.

the Arkanauts capture objectives and make sure the Wardens get into the right battle. They seem to carry enough punch to get rid of most stuff.

I’d be careful of Zon and Skywardens, their damage output is big but they’ll be focussed down pretty quickly and they won’t last long.  They could be the secret sauce of the book but there aren’t many running that Barak right now, most favour Zilfin or Urbaz. 

Played 2 games so far with the new book, and won both! First game was against sylvaneth, and opponent conceded in turn 2, I killed 800 points first turn, second game was against Daughters of Khaine temple nest (-1 to hit shooting) and came down to turn 5, the free zilfin move managed to get me the objective!

attached is my list.

KO%20%2D%20Iron%20Sky%20Command.pdf

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nine7six said:

Played 2 games so far with the new book, and won both! First game was against sylvaneth, and opponent conceded in turn 2, I killed 800 points first turn, second game was against Daughters of Khaine temple nest (-1 to hit shooting) and came down to turn 5, the free zilfin move managed to get me the objective!

attached is my list.

KO%20%2D%20Iron%20Sky%20Command.pdf 1.46 MB · 9 downloads

Awesome to see someone trying out the Prime / Comet combo, any army with weedy little characters will really struggle against that.