AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 minutes ago, RedemptionUK said:

Only once on the same unit right? If two different eligible units die in the same phase you can still pop a command ability on each? Just only one time per unit.

Hammers of Sigmar, Soul of the Stormhost Add the following to the end of the rule. ‘You cannot use this command ability more than once per phase. 

So only 1 unit lol, we always get shorter end of the stick X D

• Like 2

Noob Question, but if you tie up a Mortek Crawler in combat, does this mean it cant shoot?
I played a game against OBR and its crawlers were completely gimped for half the game when I threw some aetherwings at them.  Seemed too easy..

Edited by Tzol

34 minutes ago, Tzol said:

Noob Question, but if you tie up a Mortek Crawler in combat, does this mean it cant shoot?
I played a game against OBR and its crawlers were completely gimped for half the game when I threw some aetherwings at them.  Seemed too easy..

You played it correctly: shooting units that are locked in combat can only shoot units they are engaged with. Crawlers have a minimum range of 6" so, unless one of the units they are in combat with has models outside of that range, they just can't shoot

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

What is the meta for competitive stormcast atm?what type of lists are people playing?

I'm a relatively new player, 1year or so(not played so much since 2020..), imo there's no real competitive list atm😆,  there are but don't seems to do well in tournaments:

Most played lists with better results are with: evocators+sequitors somtimes with gavriel or with ballistas support and liberators, most played heroes: lord arcanum on various mount, castellant, relictor, celestant on drake, incantor.

shootcast(simply play the 3vanguard battalions) did well for sometime but now..glass cannon playstyle and not so simple to use.

starcast a mix of  drakes/good mages ballistas celestant prime and generally 3x5 libs + comet.

skyborne slayers is viable. Here I could say something but wait the juicy master of this battalion.😄

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

Most meta list would be Vanguard mega battalion. Some of the enemies list will totaly dissapier and have no counter play, but some will kill you. Its rather hard to play becuse your entire list is behind 3x3 vanguard raports. if you loose them you have literally nothing. 

40 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Most meta list would be Vanguard mega battalion. Some of the enemies list will totaly dissapier and have no counter play, but some will kill you. Its rather hard to play becuse your entire list is behind 3x3 vanguard raports. if you loose them you have literally nothing. 

yeah, one of the last 20people tournament we take the podium..18th, 19th and 20th!🤣 last 2 lists were vanguard

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, baiardo said:

I'm a relatively new player, 1year or so(not played so much since 2020..), imo there's no real competitive list atm😆,  there are but don't seems to do well in tournaments:

Most played lists with better results are with: evocators+sequitors somtimes with gavriel or with ballistas support and liberators, most played heroes: lord arcanum on various mount, castellant, relictor, celestant on drake, incantor.

shootcast(simply play the 3vanguard battalions) did well for sometime but now..glass cannon playstyle and not so simple to use.

starcast a mix of  drakes/good mages ballistas celestant prime and generally 3x5 libs + comet.

skyborne slayers is viable. Here I could say something but wait the juicy master of this battalion.😄

This sums up most of it.

The juicy comment made me smile and spit coffee at the same time.  Haha

• Like 2

i have been considering building a starcast list with kroak, stardrake and prime, but i don't really know how they play against list that don't run too many heroes. i'm really not sure how they would deal with objectives, and how they would handle hordes.

If anyone could point out the general stragedy, or meaby throw a link to a batrep my way i would be super happy! 😀

Edited by mmmbbb3

18 hours ago, mmmbbb3 said:

i have been considering building a starcast list with kroak, stardrake and prime, but i don't really know how they play against list that don't run too many heroes. i'm really not sure how they would deal with objectives, and how they would handle hordes.

If anyone could point out the general stragedy, or meaby throw a link to a batrep my way i would be super happy! 😀

hop over to the Starcast thread, I have answered you there!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thanos-se said:

I can;t understand how you can deal with units that deal mortal wounds on 6s to hit. For example Hearthguard Bersekers or Lumineth (they deal at 5+). Forgive my naiveness but I really can't undestand this playstyle.  

Same way you deal with everything... Tie down the melee units with aetherwings, shoot the heroes, then shoot the hearthguard blob, then charge in with Evocators to finish them off.

• Thanks 1

I can;t understand how you can deal with units that deal mortal wounds on 6s to hit. For example Hearthguard Bersekers or Lumineth (they deal at 5+). Forgive my naiveness but I really can't undestand this playstyle.  

kill support heroes with raptors, then deal with the berserkers. Lord relictor with divine light might help keeping your stuff alive.. 
other tactic.. Out score them by feeding them liberators/birds/vanguard hunters while keeping him of your objectives.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

Charge in with evocators so the bersekers can hit first...

They can only fight first if a nearby hero uses a command ability.

If you kill their nearby heroes like I said then they won't be able to fight first.

• Like 2

Besides VR longstrikes, is it better 3 ballistas/4 ballistas or 3 ballistas with ordinator I don't have any models with Longstrikes yet. I think 3 with Ordinator are the best choice unless you play anvils. THen u ll need a lot od CPs for each unit.

8 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Are there any leaks/hints/rumors that we will get a new battletome soon? Compared to other army’s stormcast feel a bit underwhelming!? 

There's wishful thinking around here we're headed for AoS 3 in the near future which would most likely bring us a new book along the way. I haven't seen any rumors on the web confirming that but i sure hope it's true ^^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thanos-se said:

Besides VR longstrikes, is it better 3 ballistas/4 ballistas or 3 ballistas with ordinator I don't have any models with Longstrikes yet. I think 3 with Ordinator are the best choice unless you play anvils. THen u ll need a lot od CPs for each unit.

They are not the best at sniping heroes because of Look Out Sir reducing their hit rolls

If you use Ballistae you might as well use 4 + Ordinator... I've never understood why people use 3.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PJetski said:

They are not the best at sniping heroes because of Look Out Sir reducing their hit rolls

If you use Ballistae you might as well use 4 + Ordinator... I've never understood why people use 3.

You mean the Vanguard are not good at sniping?

You mean the Vanguard are not good at sniping?

Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows are very good at killing support heroes because they hit on 2+ and cause mortal wounds on hit6.

Celestar Ballistae are not great snipers because they hit on 5+ and the bonus +1 hit from the Lord-Ordinator is cancelled out by -1 hit from Look Out Sir.

• Like 1

What make me think of ballistas are better than Longstrikes is their songle - shot. If u choose the single shot you have a 2+ Hit which may explode into multiple hits. It also has range at 36" , so basically if you set it up 12" far from your edge of the board you definitely have in range any Hero or enemy unit. Point cost efficiently, 3 ballistas underperform maybe vs 6 Longstrikes but at 500pts, 9 longstrikes or 3/4 ballistas + ordinator, I think I would choose ballistas. All these considering you will play without aquillor or any vanguard combination whch benefits longstrikes. Speaking clearly for support shooting range unit. In addition each ballista has 7 wounds which makes them more resilient, making also a heal on them viable while the 9 x 2 wounds models...if you take 4 wounds you have 2 shots less in the next turn.

Edited by Thanos-se

10 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

What make me think of ballistas are better than Longstrikes is their songle - shot. If u choose the single shot you have a 2+ Hit which may explode into multiple hits. It also has range at 36" , so basically if you set it up 12" far from your edge of the board you definitely have in range any Hero or enemy unit. Point cost efficiently, 3 ballistas underperform maybe vs 6 Longstrikes but at 500pts, 9 longstrikes or 3/4 ballistas + ordinator, I think I would choose ballistas. All these considering you will play without aquillor or any vanguard combination whch benefits longstrikes. Speaking clearly for support shooting range unit. In addition each ballista has 7 wounds which makes them more resilient, making also a heal on them viable while the 9 x 2 wounds models...if you take 4 wounds you have 2 shots less in the next turn.

The single shot profile is really bad unfortunately.

4 ballistas + ordinator (580 points) shooting with the single shot will do on average 6.3 damage to a 4+ save which is equal to what 6 longstrike raptors would do (340 points).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thanos-se said:

Ballistae are not cost effective if you only use their single shot, especially when you add in the cost of the Ordinator. You still only average 3.5 shots for 1 damage each per ballistae with no chance at mortal wounds - there's no doubt that Raptors are vastly superior at sniping support heroes.

You are looking at the game as a spreadsheet on an empty battlefield and ignoring too many other factors.

Ballistae are effectively immobile so you won't be changing their line of fire significantly after deployment. Unless you are playing on an open battlefield with little terrain this is a huge weakness that your enemy can exploit. Since Ballistae are max unit size 1 it is not very useful to teleport them.

Raptors also enable Aetherwings, which are arguably the most important unit in the Stormcast book.

Ballistae are good at exactly one thing: dropping into play behind a fast melee list. They combo very well with cavalry that can push ahead to tie down the enemy (Dracolines, Dracoths) or deep strike charge units. You will commonly see ballistae used in Gavriel turn 1 charge lists to clear out screens or in Astral Templars lists along with the aforementioned cavalry. If Tauralons weren't a waste of points you would probably see Ballistae used more often because they combo very well together, but it's an inefficient combo compared to Longstrikes or Judicators double tapping in Anvils.

• Like 1