AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 hours ago, Requizen said:

He's a 2 cast Wizard. I think he'll be quite good, honestly. Spell isn't amazing but still a beefy Hero that casts 2. Give him Ethereal Pendant from Shyish and now he's a big 3+ ignore rend dude who can cast Mystic Shield on himself. 

300 for 3, 5 wounds each. 

Oof, that's pricey, not sure I wouldn't take the 5 on foot at 200, though damn the models look great. Also agree with the earlier point that 6 palladors for 400 feels like better value.

Edited by tamthethird
  • Like 1

I'm really in doubt on what load out to give my Judicators. I mainly need them to hit hero's. So the look out sir hurts the skybolts a lot. An option might be to have a unit of skybolts with a thunderbolt crossbow in there. But that seems gimmicky and i'm not sure I like it.

I have 10 on sprue, What do you guys recommend?

17 hours ago, Requizen said:

Pretty good for MSU holding/harassing. For the price of 5 Judicators, you get 6 Castigators. They miss out on the Shockbolt Bow, but they get their buffs (Rend -2 is really good), and if they split up into 2 units of 3, get 2 Primes and can split up on the board with the new Scions.

Judicators get the boost of being Battleline and having the very swingy Shockbolt bow, but if you've got those 80-160 points at the end of list building, they are great harasser units that can chip down Heroes with Rend -2 and jump on Objectives for cheap.

Will the Soul Wars pt cost be legal to use at any tournament however? Wouldn't most organisers prefer you to use the GBH/Battletome points? 

8 hours ago, Haldawe said:

Either list 1 or 2.

I would prefeer the 1rst, as the 2nd has 2 really big units which are the obvious threats of the army, and could be debuffed (for example geminids) or targeted without muchmagic defense units (for example the incantor's dispell scroll).

My favorite so far is list 2 too. Like the big unit of Sequitors.

1 hour ago, Reeve said:

Will the Soul Wars pt cost be legal to use at any tournament however? Wouldn't most organisers prefer you to use the GBH/Battletome points? 

For the Castigators they have the same points on GHB and the Soul Wars, and the costs for reduced units is less efficient than the normal squad (140/200 for 3/5 evocators)

11 hours ago, Alucard Hellfire said:

Question,  I have a Lord castellent with gryph-hound,  under GHB2017 gryph-hounds could be played 1-12 at 40points each,  under GHB2018 it is 6 -18 at 140 points/6 so can I no longer play 1/2 gryph-hounds with Lord-Castellant,  Lord Veritant? 

Can anyone please give me some information about this? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alucard Hellfire said:

Can anyone please give me some information about this? 

If you pick a Castellant or Veritant you can take one gryph hound for free and set him up next to him.

Edited by Erdemo86

4 hours ago, Reeve said:

I cant speak for everyone but id say 99% of the time all Sigmar events will use GHB18 only for points.

Rather than jumping into list building I thought it would be better to examine some combos and form some cores. I want to see the exact wording and restrictions on the Battalions before going too deep, but so far I've found the following combos:

• Stardrake + Wizards + Endless Spells
  • Stardrake + Save buffs (Castellant, Staunch Defender) + Arcanums + Heraldor, the ultimate immortal Stardrake deathstar
  • Stardrake + Everblaze comet can reduce enemy casting by 2
  • Vexillor with healing banner + Arcanum x3 + Lots of multi-wound models + Emerald Lifeswarm, take the Lens of Refraction from Hysh to reduce damage from enemy spells by D3 within 6" of bearer
  • Hurricanes + Incantor reduce enemy charges drastically
  • 20 Sequitors with Arcanum command ability and Evocators Empower, reroll hits & wounds & saves
  • Celestian Vortex + Tempestors can really mess up enemy shooting
  • 4 Ballistas + Ordinator can form a solid gunline that out-ranges every other army, forcing them to come to you. Use Aetherwings + Hurricanes to stop melee armies in the midfield
  • Deep strike units alongside a Vexillor and Cogs for a 7+ rerollable charge 
  • Spam Heraldors? At 100pt this might be the best shooting unit in the game...
Edited by PJetski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rod said:

anyone knows if celestant prime attacks were buffed to 3 base ?

Yes they were. His sky setup is also optional, so he's not screwed on the new mission that prevents Reserves. His dice manipulation now also affects the Charge Roll, so at current wording you can legitimately just set his charge roll to 12". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Yes they were. His sky setup is also optional, so he's not screwed on the new mission that prevents Reserves. His dice manipulation now also affects the Charge Roll, so at current wording you can legitimately just set his charge roll to 12". 

but he still gets +2 attack per turn on reserves?

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Yep. So you can start on the table and be overpriced but ok, or you can come down on 2 for 5 attacks, which is pretty darn respectable already.

nice!  i think im getting one now, 

painting that model though....uber difficult 

Just played a game with the new starter set which me and a friend bought, I got the Stormcast part. There is something I'm unsure about; the evocator's Celestial Lightning Arc reads "...after resolving this unit’s attacks in the combat phase, pick one enemy unit within 3" of this unit and roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each roll of 4+, the enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound." It seems somewhat overpowered against single wound units.

We might be reading this wrong but the way we understood it says that if I for example charge a group of 20 chainrasps and attack them I get to use CLA right after and before he gets a chance to fight back. If i'd for example manage to kill 3 on the charge and pick said unit for the ability I get to roll 34 dices with a 50% chance per dice of dropping a mortal wound on said unit.

That's how we played our first match and although everything seemed somewhat balanced the evocators evaporated any unit it came into contact with.

Edited by Warfiend
typo

1 minute ago, Warfiend said:

Just played a game with the new starter set which me and a friend bought, I got the Stormcast part. There is something I'm unsure about; the evocator's Celestial Lightning Arc reads "...after resolving this unit’s attacks in the combat phase, pick one enemy unit within 3" of this unit and roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each roll of 4+, the enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound." It seems somewhat overpowered against single wound units.

We might be reading this wrong but the way we understood it says that if I for example charge a group of 20 chainrasps and attack them I get to use CLA right after and before he gets a chance to fight back. If i'd for example manage to kill 3 on the charge and pick said unit for the ability I get to roll 34 dices with a 50% chance per dice of dropping a mortal wound on said unit.

That's how we played our first match and although everything seemed somewhat balanced except for the evocators whom evaporated any unit it came into contact with. 

The this unit refers to the  evocators not the enemy unit

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

He could change the charge roll prior.  Since he could change any one die per turn.

Did this change?

9 minutes ago, chord said:

He could change the charge roll prior.  Since he could change any one die per turn.

Did this change?

Now it says something like "change the result of a Charge Roll", and a Charge Roll is both dice. I would wait til we see the exact wording, but you could, RAW, change both dice to 6s if you wanted. 

Just now, Requizen said:

Now it says something like "change the result of a Charge Roll", and a Charge Roll is both dice. I would wait til we see the exact wording, but you could, RAW, change both dice to 6s if you wanted. 

So in the new battletome is only changes charge roles?    Currently you can change any of his rolls (one die that is)

image.png.8461c1f1b056be3e4bdff2b345a34804.png

Just now, chord said:

So in the new battletome is only changes charge roles?    Currently you can change any of his rolls (one die that is)

image.png.8461c1f1b056be3e4bdff2b345a34804.png

I believe it says "you may change the result of a single Hit Roll, Wound Roll, Save Roll, Charge Roll made by the Celestant-Prime, or the roll to see the distance or damage of his Cometstrike Scepter". 

Something like that, going off Facehammer. 

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

I believe it says "you may change the result of a single Hit Roll, Wound Roll, Save Roll, Charge Roll made by the Celestant-Prime, or the roll to see the distance or damage of his Cometstrike Scepter". 

Something like that, going off Facehammer. 

Interesting..that would be very oddly specific .  

Oh, also: Judicators with Crossbows gained an Attack, so they're 3 normally, 4 when they don't move. And the new FAQ/Commentary clarified that being set up is not a move. Also nice for Hurricane Raptors, that.

So, a unit of Crossbow Judicators (still a Shockbolt on the Prime, because it's that good), drops in and unloads 16 shots (not counting the Prime). ~5-6 wounds with no Rend is a lot more than Bows do, though you're basically required to put them in Scions and drop them quite close. Still, way more worth the consideration than they were a couple weeks ago.

• Like 2