AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Yea its going to be rough. One guy in my local group runs FEC so my answer to avoid his gristlegore is an Eidolon heavy list. Possibly Nautilar so i can stay turtled up on my objectives. And try sword of Judgement on the storm shoal. The other idea is Morphann and just throw boddies at his dragons to hold em up until the eidolons can handle em.

59 minutes ago, Akhelian-Snail said:

Yea its going to be rough. One guy in my local group runs FEC so my answer to avoid his gristlegore is an Eidolon heavy list. Possibly Nautilar so i can stay turtled up on my objectives. And try sword of Judgement on the storm shoal. The other idea is Morphann and just throw boddies at his dragons to hold em up until the eidolons can handle em.

Namarti should shredd any puny dragon in one go ^_^

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Akhelian-Snail said:

Thats my hope! My one hang up is enclave. Do i go with Morphann so i can get a solid 6 namart plus 2 d3 with my 2 soul renders. Or go for reroll all failed hit rolls when charged? 

Hit rolls.

though you actually should not need anything extra.

10 Namarti with Icon bearer should do 19,444 wounds against a Zombie Dragon on average ^_^ (which is kind of mean when you compare the price of Namarti to the price of a ZD xD)

Edited by JackStreicher

The only problem is if running Gristlegore the dragon gets to attack first always.  Even during high tide if I remember the wording correctly.

Will work fine if you have enough Namarti to survive the dragons attacks, but that is kind of a problem unless running larger blocks of Namarti.

1 minute ago, Akhelian-Snail said:

The plan is one eidolon of each aspext. 2 10x reavers to follow behind them. 20x thralls. 2 soul renders one being general. Then a leviadon to cover, and really distract from the infantry since i dont expect him to match a dragon.

I dont really see that list doing well.  Too many big bodies that arent really putting out much damage, I dont think it would have fared well against FEC prior to the tome let alone now when they've been given a power bump.

• Like 1

Lets be honest not a lot we have is going to be very competitive against a whole dragon list. Especially if they take royal menagerie battalion. They out move, out save, and out punch almost everything we have. So my goal is to mainly de-buff and frustrate my opponent. Then buy him a beer after his dragons chomp through everything I've got.

3 minutes ago, Akhelian-Snail said:

Lets be honest not a lot we have is going to be very competitive against a whole dragon list. Especially if they take royal menagerie battalion. They out move, out save, and out punch almost everything we have. So my goal is to mainly de-buff and frustrate my opponent. Then buy him a beer after his dragons chomp through everything I've got.

I'll see pretty soon how my old list fares against new FEC.  I dont think its as bad as its made out to be, they will be powerful but I dont think they're an auto loss either.  I think if you look at some of the LVO's top lists those could stand a decent chance.

2 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

Both at first glance just look like better books if I'm honest.

It's really shocking how poorly equipped the current elf factions are at magic.

Imo idk won't compete in this model heavy meta.

To be honest it seems a lot of our tomes  ay need some rewrites with the next generals handbook... But I may be wrong.

Honestly the tome creep is real with these past three ones

• Like 1

Almost the whole army except Morrsar needs and deserve a point decrease, at least to compete with the newer, more powerful battletomes.

Well, if GW expect us to play anything besides eels.

Let's hope they realize and gives us at least some of them. And not as part of an "everybody gets cheaper" spree as happened in 40k 🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Almost the whole army except Morrsar needs and deserve a point decrease, at least to compete with the newer, more powerful battletomes.

Well, if GW expect us to play anything besides eels.

Let's hope they realize and gives us at least some of them. And not as part of an "everybody gets cheaper" spree as happened in 40k 🤣

the worst part is I seen people on reddit saying that morrsarr needs a nerf. They are pretty much the only guys in our tome that is worth the points and they need a nerf?!

anyways, yea these new armies would new tactics to fight against for sure. The fact that flesh eater courts are so good and can summon new squads for free really puts them on the top in my opinion. At least skaven don't summmon more units on the battle field (I think)

Hi, sorry to disturb you but i need some help with my idoneth list . I have my first turnament in 2 weeks and i dont know wich list built, if you have time too help me its very nice.

My miniature are 

- Volturnos / King

- Leviadon

-Soulcryer

-Soulrender

-Lotan

-10 thrall

-10 reavers

- Eidolon ( 2 aspects)

- Allopexe

- 6 morsaar

- 9 Ishlaen

- Tide caster

So i see you talk about a reverse fuethan list its very viable for tournament? What i need to build this list? Have you an exemple of a list reverser tide fuethan?

Thanks you very much for helping me

4 hours ago, wardrock84 said:

Hi, sorry to disturb you but i need some help with my idoneth list . I have my first turnament in 2 weeks and i dont know wich list built, if you have time too help me its very nice.

My miniature are 

- Volturnos / King

- Leviadon

-Soulcryer

-Soulrender

-Lotan

-10 thrall

-10 reavers

- Eidolon ( 2 aspects)

- Allopexe

- 6 morsaar

- 9 Ishlaen

- Tide caster

So i see you talk about a reverse fuethan list its very viable for tournament? What i need to build this list? Have you an exemple of a list reverser tide fuethan?

Thanks you very much for helping me

You don't have a high model count so you would be looking at a very elite army. I don't think its actually possible to run the reverse tide list with your model collection as you would need atleast 3x10 Thralls/Reavers for your battleline. You could run something like this that would be able to compete at some level:

Leaders
Vulturnos, High King of the Deep (280) - General
Isharann Soulscryer (100)
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (400)

10 x Namarti Thralls (140)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)
6 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (280)

Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Total: 2000 / 2000

10 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

the worst part is I seen people on reddit saying that morrsarr needs a nerf. They are pretty much the only guys in our tome that is worth the points and they need a nerf?!

anyways, yea these new armies would new tactics to fight against for sure. The fact that flesh eater courts are so good and can summon new squads for free really puts them on the top in my opinion. At least skaven don't summmon more units on the battle field (I think)

Yes i agree. Idoneths are roughly 4-5 on tournaments data. And that is being forced to spam 12+ morsars. I dont know why people demand a nerf on them. When daughters. Nagash or stormcast are allready better than morsars.

In fact find morsars are ok.i would even buff his once per game ability to once every turn. Since evocator ability is way better and can be used every turn.

Archers must go down 20p. Sharks 40 minimun. Avatars 80-100 points minimun. Turtle 40-60. And maybe change morsar ability to once per turn and 20p increase? Soulscryer could take a 20p increase too since we are using him in every game. But tidecaster and soulrender could go down sligthy.

Tidecaster is maybe the worst mage statwise? 1 is ok if u want reverse tides but otherwise she havent any cool rule. And save on 6s do 0 dmg in melee etc. If goblins mage cost 80p or new ratcasting 2 rerolleable spells cost 140 i dont see why our tidecaster can cost 100p.

And avatars are waaaaay overpriced. Skavens verminlords and bell are the same bigass monsters with 2 casts. But they are better in everything than the avatar. Tankier. More dmg. Command abilitys great. Better auras etc. And cost 200-300points? Then caster avatar should cost 250p to match those beasts. But ofcourse that would be too drastical. But at least should go down 100points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sedraxis said:

I like how every faction has the exact same thoughts about how only their strongest unit is viable. It's almost like all the strongest units are too strong :o

Well, in terms of our tome the morrsarr are the only  units with a really good rend on more than one attack / damage, not counting the king. The alopex has rend, but we already soliloquized why that is bad on almost every bloody page.  Sure, you can take the non strong stuff  in your army, but chances are unless you agreed beforehand your opponent will bring their strongest stuff,  so it's kinda unfair to handicap yourself like that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drofnum said:

The only problem is if running Gristlegore the dragon gets to attack first always.  Even during high tide if I remember the wording correctly

The player whose turn it is decides which order special abilities activate, so in your turn High tide will override savage strike (but he’ll get to go first in his turn 3).  Hitting targets at precisely the right time is the whole MO of idoneth anyway, isn’t it? 

7 minutes ago, Azamar said:

The player whose turn it is decides which order special abilities activate, so in your turn High tide will override savage strike (but he’ll get to go first in his turn 3).  Hitting targets at precisely the right time is the whole MO of idoneth anyway, isn’t it? 

I believe the wording on theirs was similar to the morrsarr mortals. Which takes place before combat actually begins, which means it happens before high tide. 

I don't get this complaining about Deepkin they are powerful and very cool army to play with it. I love it as even spamming Morssar in Fuethan isn't auto pilot and forces to pick your targets carefully and plan everything in advance. 

Considering points

Eidolons are overpriced a little 20-40 points decrease would be quite handy

Maybe Reavers should get 20 points decrease 

Leviadon would need 80-100 decrease to be viable 

And Sharks like 40-60

But I don't see such dramatic point changes. 

Heroes are fine especially Tidecaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wardrock84 said:

thanks and you think this can be competitive? in nautilar?

I expect you'd go 3/5 games with it, it's such low model count that it would be scenario and match up dependant. People with low rend/mortal wound output would hate this list.

Most people agree the aspect of storm and leviadon are notably inefficient for their points in modern AoS when you start to compare to newer armies, but I was trying to work within the models you provided. Havn't looked into enclave, magic items or spells as thought you'd have fun with that 🙂

3 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I don't get this complaining about Deepkin they are powerful and very cool army to play with it. I love it as even spamming Morssar in Fuethan isn't auto pilot and forces to pick your targets carefully and plan everything in advance. 

Considering points

Eidolons are overpriced a little 20-40 points decrease would be quite handy

Maybe Reavers should get 20 points decrease 

Leviadon would need 80-100 decrease to be viable 

And Sharks like 40-60

But I don't see such dramatic point changes. 

Heroes are fine especially Tidecaster. 

Similar to my thoughts, I think these are the points drops I would make:

Sea: 380 (-60)
Storm: 340 (-60)
Volt: 260 (-20)
King: 220 (-20)
Foot characters: Fine
Thralls: Fine
Reavers: Fine
Leviadon: 320 (-60)
Eels: Fine (Maybe 200 for Morrsarr at a push?)
Allopex: 100 (-40)
Battalions: 20-40 point drops