21 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Once I will get my hand on the minis I will try out this army 

Tidecaster General with Steed of Tides and Born from Agony Trait  

Soulscryer

Aspect of the Storm with Ethereal Amulet 

3x10 Thralls  

2x6 Morssar

6 Ishalean 

Going three small units of Thralls over one big blob?  Seen your other lists, why this change?  Any suggestions for my list?

It's just something I want to try out next and I will get 30 Thralls painted before  Reavers so it's what I will have ready first. Also Thralls are some kind of tax for Tidecaster and Reverse Tides ability. Also I will play much more with Deepkin now as I am little tired with DoK after winning Throne of Skulls with them and as my ID are currently being painted I will play a lot DoK for one more  month or so. 

Actually I like your list a lot and I wouldn't add any endless spells - extra CP is huge for Deepkins. But I think you can struggle with objectives as your army isn't full force alpha strike (like 3 Morssar units lists) but doesn't have many drops to contest objectives with only 3 units. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

It's just something I want to try out next and I will get 30 Thralls painted before  Reavers so it's what I will have ready first. Also Thralls are some kind of tax for Tidecaster and Reverse Tides ability. Also I will play much more with Deepkin now as I am little tired with DoK after winning Throne of Skulls with them and as my ID are currently being painted I will play a lot DoK for one more  month or so. 

Actually I like your list a lot and I wouldn't add any endless spells - extra CP is huge for Deepkins. But I think you can struggle with objectives as your army isn't full force alpha strike (like 3 Morssar units lists) but doesn't have many drops to contest objectives with only 3 units. 

Thank you :) and congrats on winning throne of skulls! 

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

So if you had the Reavers what would the list look like?

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

My list looked like this 

2xTidecaster

Soulscryer 

2x10 Reavers

30 Thralls 

9 Ishalean Guards

6 Ishalean Guards

6 Morssar Guards

it's 2k but I would probably scrap something for 1CP  

Why larger Ishalean units?    3 man units are rather effective.

2 hours ago, Nerdkingdan said:

Why larger Ishalean units?    3 man units are rather effective.

He’s bringing them onto a table edge via soulscryer. Local player in my area does almost exact same area except 2 units of morsar and volturnos. He spends first three turns getting cogs onto the board, then the unit hits turn 3 with +5 to charge, uses eel flight to hop past blocking units, daisy chain into the heart of your army then apply 12 eels worth of mortal wounds to the bed stuff in your army, then volturnos blows 3cps and they kill whatever is left.

Eel squad size is irrelevant. It’s just a brute force game over move most of the time. The only counter is attempting to kill whatever is on the board by turn 2, and also spreading out so that you don’t lose too much when the wrecking ball hits. Highly mobile, alpha strike, horde armies, with extremely high damage output have the best chance to counter. Not many of those...

If he's bringing them on the table turn 3 just push your stuff into the middle of the table out of charge range, rack up as many points as you can while he sets up his first 2-3 turns and you negate his turn 3 advantage.  Then hold objectives til he kills you off of them.

Wont work on every battleplan but on about 80% of them it will.  I've played against a similar list before and just avoided them for 3 turns holding objectives and left a small expendable unit on my home objective, which is all that died.

1 hour ago, Drofnum said:

If he's bringing them on the table turn 3 just push your stuff into the middle of the table out of charge range, rack up as many points as you can while he sets up his first 2-3 turns and you negate his turn 3 advantage.  Then hold objectives til he kills you off of them.

Wont work on every battleplan but on about 80% of them it will.  I've played against a similar list before and just avoided them for 3 turns holding objectives and left a small expendable unit on my home objective, which is all that died.

Yes, that's what I do when I face them. It doesn't always work however simply due to the mission or terrain or whatever. You do the best you can, but it's not like they are easy to deal with even after turn 3 is over. Most of my own big power play moves have already been played by turn 3 as well. there's some mild utility in trying to hold everything back until turn 3 and hoping to force IDK to go first so that you can counter with a similar tactic, but I find that's pretty dicey against models with that many wounds.  I generally find it's better to try to hit them first and let them try to counter early on, or spend 2-3 turns letting you hit what they have on the table.

Edited by Mark Williams

1 hour ago, wanderingrogue said:

I'm not sure how anyone sees thralls as a tax *confused*

In a lot of lists they can be considered a tax if you want to take a Tidecaster general. This means you cannot take eels as battleline.

No-one is saying Thralls are bad but if most people had they choice they would take other options in the books over thralls if they were not in there to cover batteline. Especially as to cover battleline you would need to take 3x10 rather than 1x30 , meaning you don't get the horde point reduction and any buffs are less effective.

My reason using Thralls is 1. I bought them at the release. 2. An army of just eels look very boring if you sak me. If I could start over then maybe it could have been Reavers instead. I know that eels are the best unit but I like mixed forces simply because it looks better on the table. 

• Like 2

Thralls are great both as 3x10 and as 30 strong unit, the problem isn't Thralls as majority of factions would die for such amazing unit but how point efficient eels are. 

10 Thralls are actually quite good -31 rend attacks 3+/3+  against infantry and 21 rend attacks with 2 damage against monsters is very good, as they can fill many roles esepcially with Tides abilities.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Thralls are great both as 3x10 and as 30 strong unit, the problem isn't Thralls as majority of factions would die for such amazing unit but how point efficient eels are. 

10 Thralls are actually quite good -31 rend attacks 3+/3+  against infantry and 21 rend attacks with 2 damage against monsters is very good, as they can fill many roles esepcially with Tides abilities.  

Yeah I'm divided here. My list only have three units as you mentioned. I might need to split things up.

Hi everyone, i started too play few weeks ago and i need some help before my first turnament in 1500 pt.

I try to do a good and competitive list with the minis i had buy so i can give my miniature list and if you can help me too create a decent list, i have a list who win 2 time but i think its not the best.

My minaitures owned

- Akhelian king or volturno

- Eidolon (2 aspect)

- Léviadon

- Tidecaster

- soulrender

-soulcryer

- 3 x 3 Ishlaen guard

- 6 morsaar guard

- 1 allopex

- Baleweind vortex

- cogs

-Spellweaver

i dont like thrall and reavers gameplay.

Thanks for your help ^^

Had my second battle using IDK as part of a Firestorm campaign and I've managed to win again :)

I had 1100 points to my Ironjawz opponents 1200 so I think i did pretty well, we played the Total Commitment battleplan.

I got lucky in that one of his objectives was in a goomtide shipwreck so he refused to take it in fear of taking mortals on his Brutes. I set up with King and 6 eels on one objective to the left and 30 Thralls with a s Soulrender to the right. My Tidecaster sat in the other part of the shipwreck. As my opponent isn't very aux fait with the IDK rules I was hoping he'd forgot about the tide of death battle trait (he had), especially high tide. So I sat back on the left flank so he couldn't get his pigs in for a charge, whilst on the right i tried to use the aelven speed to outmaneuver the orruks and sneak up on the unguarded objective. Unfortunately for me he rolled rampaging destroyers and managed to charge a unit of Brutes into the Thralls. I was impressed with how they held up, especially with the fact that their extra attack/damage ability doesn't work on Brutes. It also helped that I was running Morphann enclave rules and brought back 6 of them in my battleshock phase.

Then it was time for battle round 3 and I won initiative. I then charged my king and eels into the pigs and informed my opposing general of the high tide rule, it did not go down well. The Morsarr went first and my King easily finished them off (6 pigs) before the shield eels needed to attack. In his turn he was horrified that I would get to attack first again and his was nearly the end of the game for my opponent, instead he decided to move on to the objective and avoid combat.

Although he did manage a to take out the Thralls with a Megaboss and Brutes, he had completely lost the left flank. On top of that my Soulrender made a tactical retreat to the other objective so I racked up the VP leaving him no chance of recovery.

As a side note magic was a bit poor throughout except for the casting of the ravening jaws which rampaged through both armies at some point.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:48 AM, Mike Burgess said:

Again just to re-iterate I am not denying Thralls are good, although I think they are on-par with most equivalent battleline for their points e.g. Dryads, Judicators. They are just considered a tax when without the battleline restriction you would take something else.

I'm fully of the opinion id be taking 10 man units even they wernt battline. they are that good in my opinion.

in fact i even take them still when I'm messing about with a king general and have access to eel battleline .

they are critical to IDK regardless of battle line restrictions

Edited by wanderingrogue
spelling
  • Like 1