AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Alpidur said:

What do you think about a list witch warsong, ancient and a branchwich with spellportal ? To fragile? 
And with new point decrease a list with Alarielle and warsong is still interesting? 

Warsong+TLA+wych+portal is something viable, but it fell apart as soon as you face a army with better casting/unbinding (lumineth, Tzeentch, Seraphon). Can't recommend for tournament play, but if you are mostly playing casually, it should work pretty well if you don't face those kind of lists.

The warsong + Alarielle is viable as well, but face the same problem. I prefer the wych with tome + alarielle, as it let us take another unit and alarielle lists welcome any extra unit you can fit in.

A general comment on our magic: it is good, but unreliable most of time. We have some effects that help getting one spell (reroll with dwindling, 3d6 with gnarlroot) but for a spell heavy list we don't have much help. The +1 from warsong is good, but not sufficient to make it reliable, specially against factions with better bonus. If you want consistency, focus in one or two spell, but try not depend too much on getting them all the time.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:21 AM, Alpidur said:

What do you think about a list witch warsong, ancient and a branchwich with spellportal ? To fragile? 
And with new point decrease a list with Alarielle and warsong is still interesting? 

I played a list with warsong, ancient, wych and spellportal.  Backed it up with Durthu, 6 bow hunters, and some dryads.

Overall, the list is super swingy.  I had games where spells just didn't go off, or I rolled low for the damage rolls, and because I had so many points invested into the bombs my list just crumbled.  On the other hand, I also had games where my dice were rolling hot and I managed to double my opponent and murder their whole army with just spells.  As a list for casual games, it can be fun (or unfun because you went off and your opponent couldn't do anything about it), but once you get into competitive games, it falls apart due to its unreliability, and it doesn't have the spell power to punch through magic dom armies like Tzeentch, Seraphon and Lumineth.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm a returning player. The last time i played was before the pandemic and the 3.0 changes. Are any of the units (new or old) considered auto-includes in the current or upcoming format? Or are there any trap options?

RIP Branchwraith.

Edited by itzrenren

1 hour ago, itzrenren said:

I'm a returning player. The last time i played was before the pandemic and the 3.0 changes. Are any of the units (new or old) considered auto-includes in the current or upcoming format? Or are there any trap options?

Our 3.0 tome is really well balanced internally, all our units have a place. The closest to a auto-include we have now would be a unit of tree-revenants, more because the free teleport is really good, but you can do just fine without it. Some units are a little more niche than other, but you can find a list for those just fine. Is there any unit in particular you are interested in using?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

Our 3.0 tome is really well balanced internally, all our units have a place. The closest to a auto-include we have now would be a unit of tree-revenants, more because the free teleport is really good, but you can do just fine without it. Some units are a little more niche than other, but you can find a list for those just fine. Is there any unit in particular you are interested in using?

Cool. Thanks. I always run 1 unit of TRevs -- so versatile.  I just picked up the updated tome this weekend and have been trying to get caught up with the warscroll changes. 

It seems the game has changed to run shorter/quicker. I'm glad that my hunters are finally an optional/conditional battleline. Is there still a reason to carry around more than 20 dryads now that summoning has essentially been gutted? 

I haven't purchased the new Archers, Spiteriders, or the Lady of Vines yet. I didn't want to invest in new models to only have them sit on the shelf unused. The Seekers seem useful with their revive capabilities. Do you have any opinions or suggestions on the LoV or the Gossamid Archers?

14 hours ago, itzrenren said:

Is there still a reason to carry around more than 20 dryads now that summoning has essentially been gutted? 

If you aren't taking the Lady of Vines or Alarielle, there is none. The Lady can summon 10 most of the time and Alarielle still has 20 as a option, but we don't have other ways to summon them.

14 hours ago, itzrenren said:

Do you have any opinions or suggestions on the LoV or the Gossamid Archers?

I still testing the Lady of Vines with the recent point drops. I liked how she performed so far, but I need to test her more before making a final judgement. Her main selling point is her spell, which she need some help to get though. Gnarlroot and/or Dwindling help, but they don't make it something super reliable. I think she is much more playable now, but I don't think she has what is need to go into a tournament list. I would recommend you get a couple of seekers and gossamid box before you look at her, they are more generically usable than her.

The Gossamid are interesting. Good movement, super good screen against lists without shooting and can spike pretty hard if you roll well. They drawback is their short range (12") and that they die pretty easily to a reliable shooting unit. You don't want more than 1 unit of them in a list due to the importance of unleashing hell to their performance. I had pretty good success using a unit of 5 as screen and to threat small heroes. Unless you only play against super heavy shooting lists, I would recommend a box of them. They are easy enough to fit in some lists and add something pretty unique to our army.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, itzrenren said:

RIP Branchwraith.

Yes yes very sad to see a Juan Diaz model disappear from the range.  Granted it was the old Drycha model that is 18 years old and Lady of the Vines makes more sense in AoS now.  

Did anyone hear The Honest Wargamer talk about Mathmellow going 5-0 with an Allariele,6 Bow hunter, list?  Apparently the direct counter to the Teclis/sentinel list.  Not sure how all-rounder it is.  Also it suits his play style well so likely an update of something he's well accustomed to.

23 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Did anyone hear The Honest Wargamer talk about Mathmellow going 5-0 with an Allariele,6 Bow hunter, list?  Apparently the direct counter to the Teclis/sentinel list.  Not sure how all-rounder it is.  Also it suits his play style well so likely an update of something he's well accustomed to.

Yeah he talked about it in some other Sylvaneth groups I'm in. Pretty cool seeing a shooting + Alarielle list winning! He is probably the best Sylvaneth player in the tournaments scene and the list was tailored to fight Lumineth (the 2nd and 3rd place of the tournament were teclis + setinels lists).

21 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Does anyone know what list he had? Im kinda interrested. Also do we have any other good shooty lists?

Here is his list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Glade: Heartwood
– Grand Strategy: Take What’s Theirs
– Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
– Season: The Reaping

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (840)*
Arch-Revenant (120)*
General
– Command Trait: Radiant Spirit
– Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
– Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong

Battleline
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (460)*
– Reinforced x 1
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)*

Units
5 x Gossamid Archers (220)*
3 x Aetherwings (65)*

Endless Spells & Invocations
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1965 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88
Drops: 1

I personally never focused to much in a shooting focused list. I imagine if you want to focus more on it you could swap Alarielle for Drycha + Reinforce the Gossamids to 10. I imagine this kind of list would be even more hard to pilot, as it is pretty fragile outside of the bow-kurnoths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArcLight said:

What is it about that army that makes it a particular counter to Teclis/Sentinels?

Mostly Radiant Spirit stopping spells and his shooting been able to take units to dismantle the castle. He talked about focusing the wardens on the first turn so the lumineth player has to use the sentinels to score objectives.

• Like 1

Just had a friend argue that groundshaker could be used more than once each phase because the warscroll wording overrule the main rules. 

"you can carry out this monstrous rampage with this unit instead of ANY other monstrous rampage you can carry out with this unit." 

He argue that he chose a viable one, and then change it into groundshaker. 

He can then pick a different viable one, and then also change that into groundshaker, because the warscroll allows it. 

What is everyones thought on this reading? 

8 hours ago, Third said:

Just had a friend argue that groundshaker could be used more than once each phase because the warscroll wording overrule the main rules. 

"you can carry out this monstrous rampage with this unit instead of ANY other monstrous rampage you can carry out with this unit." 

He argue that he chose a viable one, and then change it into groundshaker. 

He can then pick a different viable one, and then also change that into groundshaker, because the warscroll allows it. 

What is everyones thought on this reading? 

I thought main rules say you can only use any single Monstrous Rampage once per phase or something.  (don't have it handy).  The warscroll wording doesn't change that.  Instead of any other rampage you can do the Groundshaker, once.  

Had my first battle with my stompy Oakenbrow army vs my buddy's Maggotkin.  He had a Lord of Plagues/Festus/and I think 2 more Sorcerers and Bloab Rotspawned/10 and 5 Blightkings and 10 Plaguebearers and a Beast of Nurgle.  I had Durthu (gladius/gnarled), TLA (Treesong)/3 Treelords/10 Tree Revs/allied Lord Arcanum on Gryphcharger and 2 Concussors; and I took Everdusk figuring extra hits would be awesome.

First mission in the new GHB.  I gave him first turn and he held that until turn 5 when I ended up double turning him.

I foolishly aggressively charged my Concussors towards the maggoth lord and failed hard, while my Lord Arcanum foolishly tried to get rid of the Nurglings who had infiltrated my backfield.  TLA dropped the tree center left giving Durthu a chance to charge the big Blightking unit and do some amazing damage!  And he totally whiffed as I was within range of the Lord who had nasty stench to make me unable to issue/receive commands, so on 6 attacks with the sword I rolled like 3 hits and failed all the wounds.  Luckily I remembered that turn to strike and fade!  Forgot that every other turn.  Treelords tried to run up a bit.

Concussors died, they need to be run in 4s, so not as allies.  Couldn't afford Fulminators.  Blightkings and everything moved up to get the center and my right objective.  He was all over the overgrown stuff in the middle but not my own.  I ended up charging the Plaguebearers with 2 Treelords and they cleaned them up and a summoned Sloppity Bilepiper, then got charged and grinded with 5 BLightkings for a while.  

Meanwhile in the center my Tree Revs were just holding my center backfield objective.  His big Blightkings charged Durthu in the center with the Lord, and brought in the other Treelord with pileins.  That was a tarpit for a while, and Durthu then took Finest Hour got 4 h its vs the Blightkings with the Gladius and rolled.....4 1s!  Oh the humanity!  Durthu ended up withering to disease points (maybe that ward save season is worth looking at?).  But the Treelords and TLA ended up cleaning them up and scoring Eradicate Trespassers....THEN turn 5 Marched the Treelords to kill the maggoth lord!  Tree Revs had teleported over to the left objective to take that turn 4, whilst Lord Arcanum zipped over to the enemy back objective, and I ended up with 19 points top of turn 5, and he couldn't catch me on objectives (we called it top of 5 since I would have charged my Treelords/TLA in with Treesong going and killed his general and Festus, thus not sure he could have summoned anything to deny my Take What's Theirs Grand Strat).

Excellent learning match for both our new tomes.  Nurgle is TOUGH, and super annoying with those disease points and debuffs.  But the big trees are tanky.  Just wish we had the Living City thing to heal a wound every unit in our hero phase; period.  No conditions needed.  And casting buffs!  Seems like we depend on spells quite a bit but really have no casting buffs.  But we do have plenty of move shenanigans.  Also sad that the spells we have depend on Awakened Wyldwoods and don't go off of Overgrown terrain....thus forcing us to take a Branchwych or two just to cast Verdant Blessing.

So I think next time instead of Concussors I'll probably do a Branchwych and maybe Knight Zephyros ally.  I like the Lord Arcanum, and the model I have for one.

IMG20230126174927.jpg

IMG20230126183648.jpg

IMG20230126192056.jpg

IMG20230126200556.jpg

IMG20230126202205.jpg

• Like 4

Hey guys, how many units of tree revenants do I realistically need? I have 10 tree revenants assembled, 32 dryads and 10 tree or spite revenants still in sprue. I was wondering should I build them also to tree revenants or build them into spite revenants. I also have Drycha but no spite revenants. 

4 hours ago, DragonRider said:

Hey guys, how many units of tree revenants do I realistically need? I have 10 tree revenants assembled, 32 dryads and 10 tree or spite revenants still in sprue. I was wondering should I build them also to tree revenants or build them into spite revenants. I also have Drycha but no spite revenants. 

Realistic, 15 is the maximum you would use (3 units of 5). Now, I personally don't think you need more than 10 (2 units of 5) if you have dryads to fill the last battleline slot. Dryads can be quiet tank with their de buffs and fill a diferente role than the tree revs. 10 Spite revenants aren't super common but they do have play, they just depend a little to much on the Gallatian venteran battlations to get all of them attacking.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 4

hey all, Im planning on starting my second army and want to lean into a very thematic list. I have no idea where to start and need to pick your brains. 

Here's the picture: Deep-Sea Sylvaneth, Drycha has coral armor instead of the beehives, Allarielle is riding the Idoneth turtle, Kurnoth Hunters have heads swapped with Sea-Anemones (hot pink of course), lots of fishes, and allying in 2 Arkehlian Sharks. 

Ideally, I need a 2K list that is very ambush-centric, not wanting a castle army, don't need all of it in a list (will still kitbash the above), but am very much in love with Drycha and want to make her work. I don't need it to be competitive but functual/fun. 

I'm all ears for list ideas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

hey all, Im planning on starting my second army and want to lean into a very thematic list. I have no idea where to start and need to pick your brains. 

Here's the picture: Deep-Sea Sylvaneth, Drycha has coral armor instead of the beehives, Allarielle is riding the Idoneth turtle, Kurnoth Hunters have heads swapped with Sea-Anemones (hot pink of course), lots of fishes, and allying in 2 Arkehlian Sharks. 

Ideally, I need a 2K list that is very ambush-centric, not wanting a castle army, don't need all of it in a list (will still kitbash the above), but am very much in love with Drycha and want to make her work. I don't need it to be competitive but functual/fun. 

I'm all ears for list ideas.

Spoiler

- Glade: Heartwood
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (120)*
Drycha Hamadreth (320)*
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Branchwych (130)*
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
- Aspect of the Champion: Fuelled by Ghurish Rage

Battleline
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)*
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Dryads (200)*
- Reinforced x 1

Units
3 x Revenant Seekers (240)*
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (340)*
- Razorshell Harpoon
- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 112
Drops: 1

OR

Spoiler

- Glade: Heartwood
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (820)*
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Arch-Revenant (120)*
- General
- Command Trait: Warsinger
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
- Aspect of the Champion: Fuelled by Ghurish Rage

Battleline
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (230)*
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (230)*
10 x Dryads (100)*

Units
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (170)*
- Razorshell Harpoon

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 80
Drops: 2

Edited by KarrWolves

2 hours ago, nightsrage said:

Question please: in the new GHB, who are Sylvaneth Ally’s? 

the App is allowing Lumineth to take sylvaneth as Allys but not allowing sylvaneth to take Lumineth as Ally’s. 

By the battlescroll: galletian champions, Sylvaneth allies are Cities, Fyreslayers, Idoneth and Stormcast.

Allies aren't reciprocal, Khaine can take us as allies as well, but we can't take lumineth nor Khaine units. Similarly, Fyreslayers can't ally sylvaneth units while we can ally Fyreslayers.

• Thanks 1

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Zkclf1z46TqPC2jf.jpgRegiments of Renown Let Your Warhammer Age Of Sigmar Army Hire Mercenaries With Powerful Abilities

New regiments of renown just announced, including a Sylvaneth regiment consisting of an Arch-Revenant and a unit of Gossamids.

"Finally, the half-mad Sylvaneth of Elthwin’s Thorns made a name for themselves seeking a cure for their curse amongst the armies of ORDER, darting around the battlefield on zephyrwing spites and unleashing deadly salvos with unnatural insight."

Thoughts or predictions for the new regiment? The two units in the battalion don't really mesh well. I kinda hope the rules will give them some synergy and buff the gossamids, but I suspect that the rules might be more tailored for cross-faction inclusion, and they might just get a watered down teleport or something.