AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I can only imagine that in model terms they’d be warhorse sized.

the book was a great read, very condensed but gave a nice overview of the shifting allegiances and politics of the darkoath tribes in order to just stay alive.

the ending is a true twist, and very surprising i have to say. 

The best thing about her is that unlike valkia, for anyone who’s read her novel, she doesnt come across as a complete tool!

it presents the warqueen i feel, in an interesting light, constantly questioning and searching for answers and reasons, and all the while does a good job of getting across the fact that the barbarian tribes, however much they think they know, actually know very little about whats outside of their world.

its set in Asqy so theres a little more to be learned about the realm.

translating it to game, and i mean this positively, i feel we’re going to get the equivalent of human beastmen.

i get the feeling they will be able to stand alone on their own very successfully but will seamlessly slot into other factions as well.

im wondering if there will be a core set such as barbarians and horsemen, and maybe chariots, with things like mammoths etc being specific to certain tribes in different realms.  In the book it shows that darkoath do not know all the tribes out there.  She does recognise them as and refer to them as darkoath however.

the other thing thst i particularly enjoyed was the detail that they dont aspire to be encased in armour, the tin cans are a world away from what darkoath believe in and are about.  She has a rune shield as well as well as an enchanted javelin which were both wonderfully understated, so im looking forward to seeing these in game.

im looking forward to this release more and more. :)

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Like 2

I duuno, I find the Mumak more beautiful, less bulky.  I plan to add some pieces of warriors shields on it to look like chaos war monster.

What do you guys think about the upcoming SoD battleforce? and each unit insideit?

- warriors

- knights

- both versions of chariot?

- manticore?

Also,  what is best: wizard or lord on the manticore?

Lord on Manticore are interesting in armies that have items that affect all the bearers weapons, like Tzeentch's Daemonheart.

Sorcerer on Manticore I've seen in Slaanesh armies since they have a lack of casters (for now) and their stack of wounds help contribute to Depravity Points.

But as for using them within slaves to darkness? I'm not too knowledgeable on that.

Edited by kenshin620

Hello Slave mates

Here's a list I built just today. I know is not too competitive but it would be very beautiful on the field

Slave to Tzeentch
Allegiance: Tzeentch - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS
Chaos Lord On Manticore (250)
- General
- Command Trait : Illusionist
- Blade & Lance
- Artefact : Dimensional Blade

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Fate : Shield of Fate

Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
- Lore of Change : Tzeentch's Firestorm

Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)

UNITS
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
-Axes and Shield
- Damned Icon

2 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (200)
-Greatblade

1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

10 x Chaos Knights (320)
-Chaos glaives

10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
-Hand Weapon & Shield

10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
-Hand Weapon & Shield

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

alternatively:

LEADERS
Chaos Lord On Manticore (250)
- General
- Command Trait : Illusionist
- Blade & Lance
- Artefact : Dimensional Blade

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Fate : Shield of Fate

Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
- Lore of Change : Tzeentch's Firestorm
Sayl The Faithless (200)

- Mark of Chaos : Tzeentch
- Allies

UNITS
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
-Axes & Shields
- Damned Icon

1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

30 x Chaos Warriors (480)
-Hand Weapon & Shield

10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)

10 x Chaos Knights (320)
-Chaos Glaives

ENDLESS SPELLS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Edited by HMB

9 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Also,  what is best: wizard or lord on the manticore?

I dislike the lord's ability as it only affects warriors, and the sorcerer is one of the only non-ally sources of mortal wounds, so in my opinion; sorcerer all the way.

3 hours ago, Kazimer said:

For a Khorne aligned force, is the gorebeast chariot the better option mechanics wise? Fluff wise imo it is the superior option but im curious what the gameplay style brings to khorne compared to horses.

Even in Slaves to Darkness unless you're going full chariot theres little point in taking the normal chariot over the gorebeast. Or you desperately need 20pts.

Terrible, I'm not that good at Warhammer lol. 

2x30 Warriors, 10 Knights, 10 Chosen; that's the core of it.  Heroes to do the hitting: Daemon Princes, Chaos Lord, Sorcerer Lord.  I don't like to go outside StD so I don't min-max god-themed allies.  I like the run and charge stuff, so usually Slaanesh marked.

31 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

2x30 Warriors, 10 Knights, 10 Chosen; that's the core of it.  Heroes to do the hitting: Daemon Princes, Chaos Lord, Sorcerer Lord.  I don't like to go outside StD so I don't min-max god-themed allies.  I like the run and charge stuff, so usually Slaanesh marked.

no warshrine?

I'm like you. But...

One of the good things of StD is that you can align them to a god and then you can add some biggies (GuO, LoC, khorne etc...) without taking all the specific stuf (the little daemons etc..). This is not the most efficient way to play (far from optimum) but super fun yet not boring because of the changes. And you can play the big ones from time to time.

My plan is to get the battleforce, then later a Start collecting and 1 or 2 daemon princes. With this I have a big core of pure StD, complete.  No worry. With several possible builds/strategy.

Then in the futur, add some chaos god tasty things (the biggies, the specific troops or magics etc...)

EDIT: I hope that in the near future GW will join everchoosen and StD (and darkoath) in a unique Book (à la Legion of nagash)

Edited by GeneralZero

Regarding chariots (gorebeast or regular), as individuals each one is exalted and gets the +1 to hit for the axe/flail. However if you plan on buffing them, with a lord on daemonic mount's ability for example, then putting them in a unit ensures they all receive the buff.

Another consideration; they get extra attacks on a charge roll of 8+ so having 2-3 individual units increases the chance of this happening for at least one of them (assuming all charging the same target at the same time). Of course as a unit of 2 or 3 then one successful 8+ charge benefits all at once. So its all or nothing on that option.

Maybe the deciding factor is that the "unit" does mortal wounds on the charge (each model within "2" of the unit takes a mortal wound on 6). As a unit of 2 or 3, the ability would only goes off once. However if 2 or 3 individual chariots successfully charge then the ability would go off multiple times.

That being said, I would probably be inclined to run them as individual units for the sake of flexibility and avoidance of battle shock.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Regarding chariots (gorebeast or regular), as individuals each one is exalted and gets the +1 to hit for the axe/flail. However if you plan on buffing them, with a lord on daemonic mount's ability for example, then putting them in a unit ensures they all receive the buff.

Another consideration; they get extra attacks on a charge roll of 8+ so having 2-3 individual units increases the chance of this happening for at least one of them (assuming all charging the same target at the same time). Of course as a unit of 2 or 3 then one successful 8+ charge benefits all at once. So its all or nothing on that option.

Maybe the deciding factor is that the "unit" does mortal wounds on the charge (each model within "2" of the unit takes a mortal wound on 6). As a unit of 2 or 3, the ability would only goes off once. However if 2 or 3 individual chariots successfully charge then the ability would go off multiple times.

That being said, I would probably be inclined to run them as individual units for the sake of flexibility and avoidance of battle shock.

^^ what he said. But here's something to think about:

A lord on demonic mount can buff a unit of chariots (+1 to hit, re-roll charge), and Sail the Faithless can teleport them anywhere they can fit in on the table top. Very disrupting for your opponent to have a unit of three gore beast chariots materialize in front of an important unit/character.

• Like 1