AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

I don’t use acolytes personally. Their main bonus is that they are cheap little units. Don’t forget you can ally in clanrats as battleline, though Of course you can use stormfiends anyway in a skryre list. 

Wait. If you ally a Battleline unit, it counts as Battleline? 

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Nop

you can find the rules for allies listed in the ghb matched play section

Hmmm. I’ve just reread that, and you’re right, you can’t. It only works in mixed skaven or chaos lists. Apologies.

I’m worried now that I’ve done this in the past! Anyway, I almost always use a minimum of 3x3 stormfiends in skryre lists, so I don’t think you need acolytes, and personally don’t use them.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

I would echo what Baron is saying; I really find that I never use them unless I'm doing some kind of meme shooting list and using 20+ of them, or I have a list where I just can't fit in a 3rd Stormfiend unit, so I use 5 Acolytes as a battleline tax.

3x3 with 40-80 Clanrats is generally the best way to go for Pure Skryre I've found.

6 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

So what weaknesses does Gautfyre have? Is it just a negative play experience. I never see the list ranking very high but it seems like a great list.

To be actually truethfull with you, I haven’t seen anybody use any kind of skaven army in the new edition on any tournis.

must be those fish-things taking the spotlight 

On 11/23/2018 at 12:49 PM, Gdead909 said:

So what weaknesses does Gautfyre have? Is it just a negative play experience. I never see the list ranking very high but it seems like a great list.

I've spent a lot of time strategizing with this list and have played against it in tournament (as Skaven). It's a glass cannon that wants to strike hard enough that the enemy is crippled and can't hit back effectively. Generally this means focusing high-value targets with mortal wounds, such as heroes and synergy pieces. As a sort of corollary, it does very poorly against horde armies with lots of cheap wounds, because it means your rather expensive mortal wounds aren't getting good value. Lots of models also allows deployment strategies which keep you out from reaching the key pieces of their army, either by bubble wrapping or by spreading really wide.

This concentrated fire strategy also means you are kind of all-or-nothing on objectives. If you don't wipe your opponent out, it's hard to maintain objective control across the mid and late game.

My take on theorycrafting the list is it would feel oppressive to non-competitive players, but perform poorly in tournaments where opponents are familiar with counterplay options.

On 11/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

To be actually truethfull with you, I haven’t seen anybody use any kind of skaven army in the new edition on any tournis.

must be those fish-things taking the spotlight 

There's one guy in NZ who runs Skryre and does quite well. He came second in two recent tournaments (Sigmonkey being one). The New Zealand Masters tournament this year will also feature a Clan Pestilens army. I think the Skryre guy might have qualified for Masters as well.

20 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

There's one guy in NZ who runs Skryre and does quite well. He came second in two recent tournaments (Sigmonkey being one). The New Zealand Masters tournament this year will also feature a Clan Pestilens army. I think the Skryre guy might have qualified for Masters as well.

Sweetness. Do you know where we can get the lists?

On 11/24/2018 at 6:37 PM, Sastopher said:

I've spent a lot of time strategizing with this list and have played against it in tournament (as Skaven). It's a glass cannon that wants to strike hard enough that the enemy is crippled and can't hit back effectively. Generally this means focusing high-value targets with mortal wounds, such as heroes and synergy pieces. As a sort of corollary, it does very poorly against horde armies with lots of cheap wounds, because it means your rather expensive mortal wounds aren't getting good value. Lots of models also allows deployment strategies which keep you out from reaching the key pieces of their army, either by bubble wrapping or by spreading really wide.

This concentrated fire strategy also means you are kind of all-or-nothing on objectives. If you don't wipe your opponent out, it's hard to maintain objective control across the mid and late game.

My take on theorycrafting the list is it would feel oppressive to non-competitive players, but perform poorly in tournaments where opponents are familiar with counterplay options.

Ya I wondering about adding in 40 to 80 clan rats to help with objecrives while everything else goes ham. 

Or have 1 unit of storm fiends set up with shock gauntlets with a pack master to help mitigate them

On 11/26/2018 at 2:14 PM, Gdead909 said:

Sweetness. Do you know where we can get the lists?

Here's the Skryre player's list that he used to win the 2017 Masters tournament, and also an interview with him.

Here's another player's Skaven list competing in the Masters this year.

cbe982343ae34f302df10fc69d4d2198.1542178834.jpg

Here's the Pestilens list which will be at the Masters as well: 

6880f8ff6b50fbf3d0e072d312e683af.1542345588.jpg

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign
  • Like 1

Hi, I just want to share that I've got wiped by Nighthaunt at 1k, mostly due to poor strategy and placement...
I played 9 stormfiends and 1 warlock at 1k. Buffed Bladegheist with a 10+ charge wiped 6 of my stormfiends on a charge. I only had the 3 shock gauntlets left but they couldn't do much...

I think that next time I'll bring back the swarm against them with 80+ clanrats! (Or at least a 40 screen for my stormfiends)

Cheers, and all praise for the battletome!

This game is all about tieing units up and flanking them.  You never want to let your hammers get charged and take the full brunt of an assault, always tie the enemy up with cheap units and then flank from the side.    The pile in rules are really the most critical rules in the game (can only pile in towards nearest enemy model) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

What engine coven are people finding work the best?

I've been running double arkhspark lately to good effect, other than that I would say Gautfyre even though an experienced opponent will easily counter it. 

Rattlegauge and Gascloud have their place as well, but I never found them to do much for me personally. 

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I've been running double arkhspark lately to good effect, other than that I would say Gautfyre even though an experienced opponent will easily counter it. 

Rattlegauge and Gascloud have their place as well, but I never found them to do much for me personally. 

What are you running? How many WLC? I thought about trying rattlgauge with like 6 to 10 Jezzail

How do you stop G F?

4 hours ago, bitchparty said:

It was a couple of weeks ago.

My mixed Skaven (The Hallouminati) placed 11th, the Pestilens List at 16th (out of 20).

Both had 2 Wins, 3 Losses. Tiebreakers were Hidden Agendas then Strength of Schedule.

Congrats man. What would you say the weakness of the list of?

16 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

What are you running? How many WLC? I thought about trying rattlgauge with like 6 to 10 Jezzail

How do you stop G F?

My current setup is:
Allegiance: Skryre
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Warlock Engineer (100)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
- Allies
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Clan Skryre (80)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Like I said, Rattlegauge is good, but you really need your Jezzails to be at max unit size (12) for it to be worth it since they will lose models rather quickly, especially if you vigordust them for the +1 to hit which will counter any -1 to hit such as "Look out, Sir". I dislike this as it feels very "all eggs in one basket" and taking 9-12 leaves little room for you to add everything you would want to add. Also keep in mind that Jezzails cannot cause mortal wounds from hero phase shooting, only while in the shooting phase.

As for stopping Gautfyre, it is very easily countered by your opponent deploying well and bubble-wrapping their important units with chaff to prevent your 8" range Warpfire Throwers\Projectors from being in range to dish out MW's. Sure you could try to deploy right on top of them, but all of your units would take d6 MW's if they're within 3" and it wouldn't be entirely feasible to fit everything properly.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

Congrats man. What would you say the weakness of the list of?

Thanks.

The list doesn't stand up well to shooting. There wasn't much shooting at Masters but one of my regular opponent plays a shooty Stormcast list which regularly kicks my ass. I also didn't have that much going on in the combat phase.

The strong points were Thanquol and the Deceiver. Those two did basically all the heavy lifting. It took me a few games to really figure out when and where to use them, but when used properly they totally wreck ****** and it is glorious.

The Assassin didn't do that much for me and the Gutter Runners were just OK. They have been really good for me in about 1/4 games.

I'm going to drop the Warpseer in favor of 40 giant rats and a packmaster and the gutter runners for some plague monks and see how that goes.

To keep things on the topic of Skryre, my Arch Warlock John Cheese is basically an auto include for every list I put together. He goes up on a Balewind and does his thing, gets relocated by the Deceiver if need be.

I've been wargaming for about a year now, playing either mixed Chaos or Clan Skryre. Overall I prefer this mixed Chaos list. While Skryre can deal a lot of damage, I find them to be one or two tricks that work well most of the time, but can be shut down if people know how. Mixed Chaos has a lot more variety (and bodies), and people generally don't realise what it can do. At the start of every game I tell my opponents that I can Skitterleap Thanquol into 2D6 Mortal Wound range, but they often still underestimate how good that can be. If they know about it and set up to zone out Thanquol, I skitterleap the Arch Warlock instead.

• Like 3