AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Despite my schemes amongst skryre and mixed magic skaven lists, I've gotten much feedback on the nature of magic's usefulness for skaven. On one hand, its all long range mortal wounds and devastating against already terrible magic armies, but on the other its not at all as effecient with magic armies that also have a battletome spell list. I have decided to push further into shooting. A mob of mortar teams or trio of lightning cannons will do the trick. Jezzails, while I love them, have become difficult to boost their to-hit roll for their headshot proc. Alternatively pestilens have the foulrain congregation that absolutely destroys a mob, not to mention snipes large heroes at that. Of course all of this shooting is in response to everyone around me casting way better magic. 

11 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Despite my schemes amongst skryre and mixed magic skaven lists, I've gotten much feedback on the nature of magic's usefulness for skaven. On one hand, its all long range mortal wounds and devastating against already terrible magic armies, but on the other its not at all as effecient with magic armies that also have a battletome spell list. I have decided to push further into shooting. A mob of mortar teams or trio of lightning cannons will do the trick. Jezzails, while I love them, have become difficult to boost their to-hit roll for their headshot proc. Alternatively pestilens have the foulrain congregation that absolutely destroys a mob, not to mention snipes large heroes at that. Of course all of this shooting is in response to everyone around me casting way better magic. 

It's still good to at least have a couple of wizards around to attempt to unbind or dispell, so don't go too far out of the way of magic usage. There are 2 Tzeentch players in my area that love unbinding almost everything I do (one uses the Curseling so sometimes things get fired right back at me) and it got frustrating until I started bringing a pack or two of 20 Gutter Runners and using 2 WLC's up from one.

It's worked well. I would like to see what 3 could do, but I'm not sure if it's worth it unless you run them with an arkhspark to get 6 shots a turn. I've stopped using mortars entirely now as they were already very swingy, but If you do run mortars, I recommend at least using 3 and overseer to give them re-rolls to hits of 1. Just don't leave out units to screen all of this shooting. I typically run with 3x3 Stormfiends and ally in 40 Gutter Runners to deepstrike to take off pressure. I just wish Jezzails didn't turn so...worthless.

Edited by Gwendar

On a seperate note, the topic of doomwheels; I'm using them, its happening, you cant stop me. But I've had real trouble determing what their actual battlefield role is. Quite frankly, I'd rather be shooting with them than charging in. They flank well enough, they engage fast enough. But as a harassing unit, they're not exactly something that I want to expect to die so quickly. I thought about running a crew of 'em up the side, skitterleap in a disposable General to proc the Deranged inventor command trait (which by the way is the only skryre war machines that even needs it). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

On a seperate note, the topic of doomwheels; I'm using them, its happening, you cant stop me. But I've had real trouble determing what their actual battlefield role is. Quite frankly, I'd rather be shooting with them than charging in. They flank well enough, they engage fast enough. But as a harassing unit, they're not exactly something that I want to expect to die so quickly. I thought about running a crew of 'em up the side, skitterleap in a disposable General to proc the Deranged inventor command trait (which by the way is the only skryre war machines that even needs it). 

I have a pair of Wheels and have tried them in several games.  They are of course not great but I have found them useful running up the field as a glorified distraction or to grab a secluded objective. They can be somewhat fast and that shines in most  Skyre lists that are pretty slow.

@TheWilddog while doomwheels die quickly, they are indeed attention grabbers. For instance, I ran them up on either side of an orcs opponent and appropriately they split out two units to fight them. One of which was an elite unit (Brutes) and rightfully killed the doomwheel in one stroke. But an interesting thing happened: those units were marooned for a whole turn which let me deal quite well with the rest of the army. I would propose that they are flashy enough to entice such elite units out to the sides by using their speed to position themselves in range to shoot such elite units but also providing the only decent charge  for that target unit. It forces a choice on an opponent to either give chase with an expendable unit for a later attack and leave the elites to get into the thick of it. Or, just kill the damn doomwheel but, at the very least, putting them well out of position. Certainly other armies have units that do this better, and the mobility of some armies ignore this completely, but its a start. 

Any thoughts on this list (items etc to be decided)? Cheers!!

Allegiance: Skryre

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
Warlock Engineer (100)
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Units
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
- Allies

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 144

49 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Any thoughts on this list (items etc to be decided)? Cheers!!

Allegiance: Skryre

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
Warlock Engineer (100)
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Units
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
- Allies

War Machines
Doomwheel (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 144

It looks interesting, not sure though if you have enough clanrats.

from my experience I would probably stick with at least 80of them.

also using 3warplighntinig cannon is definitely a force that can be recon with, just the cost a fortune, and I’m not sure that your warplightning cannon will do enough damage for their cost.

still your army list definitely has potential, and it is interesting to see that your are not taking any battalions.

anyways good luck and happy wargaming 

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It looks interesting, not sure though if you have enough clanrats.

from my experience I would probably stick with at least 80of them.

also using 3warplighntinig cannon is definitely a force that can be recon with, just the cost a fortune, and I’m not sure that your warplightning cannon will do enough damage for their cost.

still your army list definitely has potential, and it is interesting to see that your are not taking any battalions.

anyways good luck and happy wargaming 

Thanks for the feedback fella. Not been on Skryre for a while, last time I played people were generally wanting the Packmaster for buffing electro fiends and leaving the batallions out as they were expensive. Has that changed in 2.0? 

57 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Thanks for the feedback fella. Not been on Skryre for a while, last time I played people were generally wanting the Packmaster for buffing electro fiends and leaving the batallions out as they were expensive. Has that changed in 2.0? 

Well,

buffing your shock gauntlet fielding stormfiends with the packmasters and a warlock engineer with the artifact is one of the best things you can do to make horde/ Elite unit killing monsters.

as for battalions, they are still rather expensive but from what I heard the gautfire scorch is still one of the best in the whole game.

with it you can even surprise a very competitive player since it isn’t really usual to see an battailon that give you the function to spam you units directly to base contact of the enemy’s models.

• Like 1

@5kaven5lave Looks good. I've tried a doomwheel a couple of times in the past and have since shelved it, but I see how it can have good moments. I just prefer having more shooting output. 

3 cannons will be interesting.. But you really need to keep them safe as they are paper thin and you're sinking a lot of points into them. What I would personally do without changing much is: Drop the Doomwheel and Packmaster and buff up your low Clanrat unit to 40 (20 of them will most likely do nothing, I'd rather bring a warpseer to generate giant rats and they would do just as well as a screen) and add in another Engineer or whatever else you want for 100 pts. 

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@5kaven5lave Looks good. I've tried a doomwheel a couple of times in the past and have since shelved it, but I see how it can have good moments. I just prefer having more shooting output. 

3 cannons will be interesting.. But you really need to keep them safe as they are paper thin and you're sinking a lot of points into them. What I would personally do without changing much is: Drop the Doomwheel and Packmaster and buff up your low Clanrat unit to 40 (20 of them will most likely do nothing, I'd rather bring a warpseer to generate giant rats and they would do just as well as a screen) and add in another Engineer or whatever else you want for 100 pts. 

Legend. Where can you get some Giant Rats nowadays? There are a few large-ish ones in the Plague Monk kit, are they roughly the same?

19 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Ah, that’s where I’ve seen them. Cheers ears. 

Yeah, monks and doomwheel boxes are the best source. You can use two of the small ones on one base or something if you want as they feel odd on a 25mm.

Ebay is your friend too, that's where I got all 30 of mine for about $20. Still, 80 Clanrats will do more for you over a Warpseer and Giant Rats, which you need a lot of extra CP to summon in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

Yeah, monks and doomwheel boxes are the best source. You can use two of the small ones on one base or something if you want as they feel odd on a 25mm.

Ebay is your friend too, that's where I got all 30 of mine for about $20. Still, 80 Clanrats will do more for you over a Warpseer and Giant Rats, which you need a lot of extra CP to summon in. 

Yeah cheers, the Warpseer is Masterclan and 220pts so he cuts you down to 20 Clanrats which is a shame. I have loads of Skryre assembled but unpainted so I just need to start playing some games. Been playing lots of Nurgle this year but I’m using Pestilens as my gateway back into rats, would like a Battletome to weave it all in together. 

• Like 1

@5kaven5lave Well, he's 260 actually. But I tried using him a lot the first month or two of 2.0 before the spell portals got changed and he worked well with a magic bunker focused Skryre list. Since then he's lost most of his value to me, but definitely still up there. Clanrats just do everything better than the Giant Rats he generates, and they cost less.

Happy to see more getting into Skaven. I started the hobby a little over a year ago with them and they will always be my "main army". LoN and Beasts of Chaos tomes should be a good indicator that we will have our time soon. But there's plenty of discussions about that all over the verminus/general skaven thread. Let us know how your games go. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@5kaven5lave Well, he's 260 actually. But I tried using him a lot the first month or two of 2.0 before the spell portals got changed and he worked well with a magic bunker focused Skryre list. Since then he's lost most of his value to me, but definitely still up there. Clanrats just do everything better than the Giant Rats he generates, and they cost less.

Happy to see more getting into Skaven. I started the hobby a little over a year ago with them and they will always be my "main army". LoN and Beasts of Chaos tomes should be a good indicator that we will have our time soon. But there's plenty of discussions about that all over the verminus/general skaven thread. Let us know how your games go. 

Yes-yes let skaven rule the world.

manthings will Die-die soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

Ah of course, I had the Corruptor in mind. My first love was Skaven (first plastic purchase was Spire of Dawn and played loads of Vermintide), time seems right to get painting up some ratbois.  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 3:49 PM, 5kaven5lave said:

Ah of course, I had the Corruptor in mind. My first love was Skaven (first plastic purchase was Spire of Dawn and played loads of Vermintide), time seems right to get painting up some ratbois.  

Ha, pretty much the same way me and my girlfriend got into the hobby. I bought a Spire of Dawn because she liked the Aelves and I did not intend to have Skaven grow beyond 1k points.

~7k points later and I am about to get heavily into Verminus. Good luck with all the painting. If you hate painting as much as I do, I recommend going with this technique. It makes Horde armies incredibly fast to do. I painted 40 Gutter Runners with this technique (and a little extra detail\basing) and managed to get all of them done in about 8 working hours or less. I now do this glaze\wash painting on every model I own:

https://jesterpaintingstudio.weebly.com/blog/how-to-speed-paint-skaven

Edited by Gwendar
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Ha, pretty much the same way me and my girlfriend got into the hobby. I bought a Spire of Dawn because she liked the Aelves and I did not intend to have Skaven grow beyond 1k points.

~7k points later and I am about to get heavily into Verminus. Good luck with all the painting. If you hate painting as much as I do, I recommend going with this technique. It makes Horde armies incredibly fast to do. I painted 40 Gutter Runners with this technique (and a little extra detail\basing) and managed to get all of them done in about 8 working hours or less. I know just do this\glaze painting on every model I own now:

Well there is also a very easy way in painting clanrats which I found when a college sold my his brayherd army.

He himself used the leather brown spray from army painter,

and only painted the clothes Armour and boneparts.

its rather easy and 10of those miniatures will take about 1hour of your time.

they will also look great on the table.

sam goes for clanrats spraying them with the brown color will finish the skin tone literally of. The only thing now to do is to paint the clothes, Armour and weapons in the clout you want them to have, and wash the whole model with agrax earth shade,

and your model is now ready to be brought on the table.

i didn’t try it out on clanrats yet but on my Bestigors/Gors and ungors it looks great.

and having painted 10miniature per hour, is something i really enjoy, more time for me to paint my beloved Stormvermins stormfiends and hero’s etc.

ps: that picture her is an example of how I painted one of my Bestigors 

A11B5BBE-F903-4570-8B6C-9FB396BD6D22.jpeg

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Gwendar said:

~7k points later and I am about to get heavily into Verminus. Good luck with all the painting. If you hate painting as much as I do, I recommend going with this technique. It makes Horde armies incredibly fast to do. I painted 40 Gutter Runners with this technique (and a little extra detail\basing) and managed to get all of them done in about 8 working hours or less. I know just do this\glaze painting on every model I own now:

Will have to have a go at this, maybe on the Plague Monks I’m working on. Legendary stuff. 

• Like 2

@Skreech Verminking I tried that more standard painting method for awhile when I first started, but I just couldn't stand the meticulousness of it with paint thinning, multiple coats, being careful of details, etc. This method works for a nice tabletop standard in an insane amount of time, which frees up me up to do a bit of detail work without it feeling like a chore.

Here's a few skaven units I did with this method. I've started making my own glazes now instead of solely using Citadel washes, so future results should look better. I've had a few people compare them to looking almost cel-shaded in a way. Sorry for the bad quality, phone camera is all I have. 

FB_IMG_1540225657849.jpg.8873f43d32846df4e226e557ade18841.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@Skreech Verminking I tried that more standard painting method for awhile when I first started, but I just couldn't stand the meticulousness of it with paint thinning, multiple coats, being careful of details, etc. This method works for a nice tabletop standard in an insane amount of time, which frees up me up to do a bit of detail work without it feeling like a chore.

Here's a few skaven units I did with this method. I've started making my own glazes now instead of solely using Citadel washes, so future results should look better. I've had a few people compare them to looking almost cel-shaded in a way. Sorry for the bad quality, phone camera is all I have. 

FB_IMG_1540225657849.jpg.8873f43d32846df4e226e557ade18841.jpg

Looks great man

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1