AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

5 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

exactly my point. By swapping the VLoZD with mannfred you would get his amazeballs CA wich is mathematically equivalent to +1 attack for BKs, difference is that you would give it to half your army. Also mannfred is a better damage dealer than the standard VLoZD and would benefit more from Vhordrai CA. Taking necromantic bloodline for +1 to cast and -1 bravery is just icing on the cake. This is my two cents obviously

But you would give away your juicy command trait.. Is it really still better to take Vhordrai + Mannfred?
I am building a similar list right now and I had the same idea last week, but I wasnt too sure if its worth to give up the command trait.
Or maybe just use the little VL as general then? (I dont own a Coven Throne, so making it as general isnt an option for me)

Edited by Enwolved

12 hours ago, Honk said:

he‘s mandatory as general within a Legion of Night army, Soulblight is not concerned with those Mortarch restrictions iirc

No, you are right, I know that, thats not what I meant. But I thought its better to have a VLOZD with the powerful retreat + charge and even a powerful artefact like the amulet instead of having a small hero with a command trait and artefact, which is less useful, although you would have mannfred and a great CA. But that were only my thoughts of course.

Edited by Enwolved
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Enwolved said:

But that were only my thoughts of course.

The usual conundrum...

I really liked him, behind three units of knights, but my opponent had no shooting so he was safe and could engage carefully.

otherwise, I take the throne for its buffs and use the free points for something else.

At 380 I think he starts having a reasonable price for relaxed games, but Arkhan is still the only mortarch worth considering in a more competitive setting

7 hours ago, Honk said:

The usual conundrum...

I really liked him, behind three units of knights, but my opponent had no shooting so he was safe and could engage carefully.

otherwise, I take the throne for its buffs and use the free points for something else.

At 380 I think he starts having a reasonable price for relaxed games, but Arkhan is still the only mortarch worth considering in a more competitive setting

in my list, do you think as Raptor_Jesues and change Vhordrai for Manndfred or not?

Mannfred more necromantic or swift dead or Vordrhai more dragon warrior for kill with the VLoZD.

The problem with use Mannfredd more necromantic is that i do with this the same that i can do more easily with LoB.

Other possibility is change dragon warriors for swift dead and the Covern Throne more vampire lord for Mannfred but Mannfred and Vordhrai must be use his command Cp's and with only one cp for turn and other cp in all the battle is a problem. I want the covern throne for his spell in order to block any elite unit of the stormcast. 

Edited by Sartxac

44 minutes ago, Sartxac said:

in my list, do you think as Raptor_Jesues and change Vhordrai for Manndfred or not?

I personally think your list is quite tricky...

with all the heroes and nice CAs, you’ll burn your CPs in no time. But they also drain your points and model count. The 10 bedsheets theoretically are nice for objective grabbing, but they just evaporate when breezed at. With the points I‘d throw wolves as roadblocks into the fray.

so I guess if i had to make the list, either double dragon fun or dragon with coven throne and the points well spend into 10 more knights. 

As bloodline I prefer swift death, you’ll want to hit the enemy first and block objectives. But my successrate is meager at best

😂👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly the Mortarch's are a touch overpriced IMO, though they do certainly give one thing to Soul Blight: Options.

Each of them is a two cast Wizard with unique and powerful buffs. However I think Nef is more geared to letting your Heroes shine and Mannfred is all about buffing the troops.

While Nef is in my list I plan to try (two Etheral Dragons say HELLO!) I think Mannfred certainly has his perks with a stellar aura and some mighty powerful attacks (easy to buff with his spells) and a non-degrading profile (where it matters) plus he's got some awesome internal synergy with Necromantic where he'll often have +2 to cast, thus activating his buffed sword, thus meaning he kills things to keep up the +2 to cast...!

I actually wonder if there is an army build focusing on the two named Vamps, leaving the generic VLoZD at home?!

4 hours ago, Charlo said:

I actually wonder if there is an army build focusing on the two named Vamps, leaving the generic VLoZD at home?!

No, because they are both CP hogs, and soulblight does not have battalions to load up on CPs.  

I would love such a list!  But as of now I don't see it being viable (competitively or even just much fun).

I personallytried 

VLoZD with ethereal amulet and mistform

Mannfred

Vhordrei

10 blood knights

2x3 vargheists

+1 to cast bloodline

Only one game against fatesworn chaos but it was a masacre.

The fact that mannfred doesnt have to be general is huge advantage. I feel like he is better then second dragon but first normal dragon is a must. Mistform is just too good.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Taking the Vamps out later today against some Nurgle Mortals. I'll be running Necromantic as that's what I have experience with!

1500 pts so my list is:

Vampire Lord on nightmare; saccarine goblet, pinions, mistform

Vampire lord; winged, orb

Coven Throne; vile transferrance

5 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

3 Vargheists

4 Batswarms

Pendulum

I could double up a unit of BK to ten, but I think I'll need the board control of 3 units.

• Like 1

Ciao all. 

Soulblight was always one of those armies that was on my “list” to play. I loved the idea of bloodknights and heavy cavalry but wasn’t a huge fan of the models. I knew I could create my own with something other than the standard dragon blades but hadn’t come up with how until recently. 

I built 10 knights and took them as mercenaries to my Clans Skryre Skaven for NOVA this year and they crushed it for me. I decided now was the time and expanded the army for another GT in New York in November, but in the mean time have another one crop up for this weekend. The army isn’t really ready but I still wanted to take Soulblight. So this is what I came up with. 

Bloodline: Necromantic

Realm: Hysh

Leaders:

-Vampire Lord on Nightmare

General- Mist Form 

Aetherquartz Brooch

Spell: Soulpike

Spell: Soulpike

Spell: Amaranthine Orb

Spell: Amaranthine Orb

Spell: Amethystine Pinions 

Spell: Vile Transference

10 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

Corpse Cart

Geminids of Ul Gysh

Aethervoid Pendulum

Quicksilver Swords

Purple Sun of Shysh

Balewind Vortex

Soulsnare Shackles

Just something I threw together for fun and to see what happens at the GT level with a joke list like this. The strategy is pretty obvious. Throw Spells forward and hope they do enough to keep the Blood Knights alive for the charge. 

Any thoughts?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Guys, i have a dilemma. Im building a list with neferata and i have 20 points left i dont know what to do with. Should i pick the prismatic palisade (i already have horrorghast) or leave the 20 points and hope for a triumph? In that case i would pick the one that basically nets you a free CP

If I remember correctly you cant "pick" the triumph, but you roll for it.
I feel like its always a gamble, but I think Palisade can be pretty good, escpecially for Neferata, to protect her from shooting.
In addition you can throw it out pretty early, because most other spells arent in range anyway in the first turn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enwolved said:

If I remember correctly you cant "pick" the triumph, but you roll for it.
I feel like its always a gamble, but I think Palisade can be pretty good, escpecially for Neferata, to protect her from shooting.
In addition you can throw it out pretty early, because most other spells arent in range anyway in the first turn.

Auto correct, i meant to write "i would hope to pick" but my dumb italian phone did not abide to my will.  Anyway i see what you mean and i agree, the palisade is quite some value (i could also help stacking to hit maluses with neferata's CA).
I was also wondering, if not using soulblight what would be the best spell for neferata. Overwhelming Dread seems like the best one all around but Fading Vigour  would be less redundant

Palisade is 30 points. 

So the 6 Vampire  Lord list I ran this weekend managed to get me 4th of 22. I know. I'm just as shocked as you are. Not a ton of players, but some very strong netlisty type lists present including Morathi and witches, mass Plague Monks, Idoneth Eel spam, and Tzaangor Skyfire spam. 1st-4th was also 1 army from each GA as well, which is a fun little side note. 

In general I find that the Lords themselves are entirely too swingy. They are essentially just a Blood Knight Kastellan in terms of damage output, I think I over estimated their potential in combat. That would cost me in some games, while in others they mearly did OK. By the end I had used them more for outflanking and taking on units like Namarti Reavers or Skeletons. I had great success with Amythestine Pinions, and not one time got Soulpike to do anything. Either the unit I put it on I charged the same turn, or I was too far away to cast it on a unit I knew would be charging. The endless spells really just ended up getting in the way more than anything else, and I wasn't impressed with their output.  I dominated the spell game, basically getting off whatever I wanted. 

Blood Knights are incredible, and more than one time I used a CP to give them an additional attack as well as another CP for All - Out Attack. It spikes their damage to truly absurd levels. I find that I have a very itchy trigger finger with them, and almost always go for the charge if I can. There's almost never a time where not charging will pay off in the long run. The D3 damage gets crazy. Highlights include murdering 30 Namarti Thralls, 26/30 Vulkite Berzerkers, 20 Spider Riders, 30 Skeletons AND 10 Blood Knights, and 6 Rockgut Trolls and 3 Fellwaters. They are also super tanky. The Hunger was way more useful than I original read it as. 

In the end I managed a Major against Gloomspite Spider cav on shifting objectives, a minor against Nagash  on Total Conquest, a minor loss against Fyreslayers on Knife to the Heart, a Major against Gloomspite Trolls on Duality of Death, and a minor against Idoneth Deepkin Namarti Spam on Focal Points. 

Also fun little charge in the final game:

Glorious Blood Knight Charge.jpg

Edited by Ignatius "Nate" T
Rotated Pic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Charlo said:

Sadly you cannot take the lore of the dead in a Soulblight army, only Lore of the Vampires. Yeah i know, i was talking theoretically. Even though i find pretty weird that mortarcs forget spells if they are with the wrong crowd xD

As for the 20pts, pallisade is great but it's more than 20pts right? Do you mean Gravetide? Yeah, the one with the dead guys, sorry, im dumb. It is nothing to write home about but for 20pts i think is quite nice

The idea was to go necromantic bloodline so i thought that more than one endless spell and some bravery debuffing would net me some profit 

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

13 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

The idea was to go necromantic bloodline so i thought that more than one endless spell and some bravery debuffing would net me some profit 

Oh definitely. It certainly has for me. Even just a +1 to cast is so handy. I like combining with a Mortis Engine for +2. The Heal/ Damage bomb is also really good with Soulblight as it keeps the heroes topped off and hurts enemy MSU which we would struggle with.

@Ignatius "Nate" T, that sounds AWESOME and you've really inspired me. I definitely agree with BKs on the charge, they're one of the hardest hitting units in the game. In my tussle against Nurgle I managed to get an extra CP from terrain so T1 I gave them an extra attack from a lord and re-roll 1s to save/hit/wound from a Coven Throne. It was savage, just so accurate and powerful. Their main weakness is anything with rend as it negates the Shields and pops them to a 5+ save which can get dicey. However my opponents blightkings (rend -) could hardly touch them.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ignatius "Nate" T said:

Palisade is 30 points. 

So the 6 Vampire  Lord list ...

Yes, i meant the gravetide.
Btw you are an absolute madman, i love you and wish to bear your spawn.  Im quite inspired to do the same thing as 6 lords sounds absolutely bonkers and F.U.N.
Gonna buy some old blood dragons lords models just to do this.
I would agree alas that they are quite swingy, wich is a shame. I would really like a damage 2 weapon on them (and on bloodknights for that matter). What artifacts and traits did you have?  
Ps- is the model in the low side of the table a black coach?

27 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Oh definitely. It certainly has for me. Even just a +1 to cast is so handy. I like combining with a Mortis Engine for +2. The Heal/ Damage bomb is also really good with Soulblight as it keeps the heroes topped off and hurts enemy MSU which we would struggle with.

I dont think i have the space for a ME quite yet, i would probably be more keen to include it in a LoB army, maybe.

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Btw you are an absolute madman, i love you and wish to bear your spawn.  Im quite inspired to do the same thing as 6 lords sounds absolutely bonkers and F.U.N.
Gonna buy some old blood dragons lords models just to do this.
I would agree alas that they are quite swingy, wich is a shame. I would really like a damage 2 weapon on them (and on bloodknights for that matter). What artifacts and traits did you have?  

I agree. I think a flat 2 would be amazing. And I think the list is a lot of fun and worth a try. It’s not anything like what I’ve played before and I had a great time. It’s definitely not going to win you big tourneys but it’s still fun. 

I posted the list on this page up a few posts. But I took 2 soulpikes, 2 amaranthine orbs, 1 vile transference, and 1 amythistine pinions. I took necromantic for the +1 cast but the -1 bravery stacked well with the banners and purple sun. And the aetherquartz brooch for the regenerating CPs. Mist form literally did nothing for me. It never came up. But I still think it’s strong. 

6 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Ps- is the model in the low side of the table a black coach?

It’s actually a corpse cart. I didn’t think the actual model would fit in well with my knights I converted. It’s made from dark elf dark riders pulling a chariot made from pieces cut up from the coven throne. 

7 hours ago, Honk said:

QfT...

had that fun with Mannfred behind them, poor opponent didn’t really know what hit him...

😄

Rend is so prevalent that you are genuinely surprised when you fight something without it I find! 3+ saves re-rolling 1s from the Coven Throne was nasty.

I'd also like to shout out Bat Swarms... They're silly fast and can really annoy your opponent if they make a mistake on an objective. I took a unit of 4 and the -1 to hit on shooting alone was worth it, however they tied up some Marauders and then retreated behind them onto an opponents objective to score at the end of the battleround!

Whats even better is that unless your opponent deals wounds to them in brackets of 5, they just don't care (too much) as you only need to deal a single wound back to chaff to fully heal a base o' bats! I didn't have them near enough to a hero for the 6++ but if I did they'd be even harder to take down.

With the advent of Cities of Sigmar and their dreaded gunlines, a simple unit of bats could cause untold mayhem to your opponents plans :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1