AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

9 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Still holding hope glavewraiths and harridans at least got reductions.

Been any further news? When can we expect deets on GHB19?

GHB comes out middle of June. Thats our best hope. I too hope Harridans go down. I feel like Glaivewraith Stalkers need a full re-write. As it stands they are just bad versions of GGRs and BGRs.

Hey guys,

quick Question regarding our "From the Underworlds..." -Abilitie, because i've seen different people handle it differently:

When setting up a unit in the battlefield am i allowed to put one unit in the underworlds immediately (e.g. 6 Units in total, 3 Drops) or when i'm next in line Setting up a unit (6 units, 6 drops)?

46 minutes ago, DieterLaser said:

Hey guys,

quick Question regarding our "From the Underworlds..." -Abilitie, because i've seen different people handle it differently:

When setting up a unit in the battlefield am i allowed to put one unit in the underworlds immediately (e.g. 6 Units in total, 3 Drops) or when i'm next in line Setting up a unit (6 units, 6 drops)?

As with all this type of mechanic you "setup" the unit in the underworlds rather than on the table.  So 6 units in your list will always equal that number of drops.

48 minutes ago, DieterLaser said:

Hey guys,

Its one on field one in underworlds (one drop each) 

An interesting blurb;

Just realized while tinkering on building a custom Banshee or two, that the complete Nighthaunt aesthetic has no faces. 

Every model consists of a skull, mask, helmet, or veil. The old Tomb Banshee model, as well as the Mortis Engine banshees, have faces and eyes. Its hard to indicate torment or suffering without a face... and interestingly enough the only figure I feel comes close in the new Nighthaunt is the Myrmourns; whose very artistic use of negative space conveys the feel of a yawning, screaming mouth in the emptiness between bust and eyes.

For anyone else who hates monopose models that you wind up taking multiples of; there are some nice other sculpts out there by other companies

Edited by Neck-Romantic

4 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

An interesting blurb;

Just realized while tinkering on building a custom Banshee or two, that the complete Nighthaunt aesthetic has no faces. 

Every model consists of a skull, mask, helmet, or veil. The old Tomb Banshee model, as well as the Mortis Engine banshees, have faces and eyes. Its hard to indicate torment or suffering without a face... 

Needless to say I love the Nighthaunt range but let their be no doubt that the Banshee models (Mortis Engines and solo Banshees) are some of the most scary models imho. I think it’s due to them being easy to relate to because they look human, even if it is a little cliché in the Mortal Realms. 

Made a sort of goofy build...

Banshee Swarm LoG

DB Harrow - bravery aura

Briar Queen

4x TBanshees

2x15 Harridans

3x10 Chainrasps

2x12 Myrmourns

1x8 Myrmourns

Briar Queen retinue

Horrogheist Espell

4 screams at maximum -5 bravery, Harrow to teleport his debuff and activate gravesites while staying out of combat, 3 units of myrmourns to shred with. Preserve the heroes as best as you can while freely throwing myrmourns and harridans into meatgrinder so they can be recycled. (Would gladly use Olynder if she didnt ruin the bravery debuff scheme)

Edited by Neck-Romantic

22 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Made a sort of goofy build...

Banshee Swarm LoG

DB Harrow - bravery aura

Briar Queen

4x TBanshees

2x15 Harridans

3x10 Chainrasps

2x12 Myrmourns

1x8 Myrmourns

Briar Queen retinue

Horrogheist Espell

4 screams at maximum -5 bravery, Harrow to teleport his debuff and activate gravesites while staying out of combat, 3 units of myrmourns to shred with. Preserve the heroes as best as you can while freely throwing myrmourns and harridans into meatgrinder so they can be recycled. (Would gladly use Olynder if she didnt ruin the bravery debuff scheme)

This list is pretty awesome. Now just imagine if Myrmourn or HArridans became battleline in LoG :D

13 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Probably squeeze in a Mourngul : P

honestly I would love to see ANYTHING  else become BL for LoG just because Im not fond of chainrasps. $40 for 10 cannon fodder has always felt like highway robbery for me; especially when harridans/bladegheists are the same price. 

I'm currently looking at using 40 skeletons and 2x10 chainrasp units for battleline. The skeletons give off an additional -1 bravery as well as being a decent brick. Leave a tomb banshee with them to scream, give of the 6+ death save and prevent the entire unit wiping to battleshock (only if necessary). Planning to use the chainrasps as decently mobile screen and honesty because I already have them and won't have to buy more.

I have even spoken to the local tournament organisers and all but one have given me the go-ahead to use LotR army of the dead as my skeletons, simply because they will look better with my army scheme and I hate the GW skeleton models.

It is safe to say that what we have seen so for from the previews is all that is in the book though, dont expect to see anything extra. If anything is added it will be in the errata, but sadly I'm not expecting to see anything new, only clarifications. That said, I do hope the army builder and app this weekend make it clear what can be taken; I don't expect to see any battalions anymore sadly, but terrorgheist allies maybe?

Edited by Qrow
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

You're going to want to be really hot on how you place your gravesites if you're relying on bringing units back as it's super easy for your opponent to cap them by parking a unit on top of the marker, you're also going to be limited to a maximum of 5 units due to CP limitations.  That said - really looking forward to how this works when/if you play it!  I think Legion of Grief could really surprise people with shenanigans!

Well I finally remembered TBanshees scream on 2d6, had their scream confused with the NH commander trait that forces a unit to retreat on 1d6 for the longest time. 

A decent roll at -4 or higher can annihilate most heroes, and take large chunks of units who then need to test battleshock on that same reduced bravery as well.

Still completely floored that Olynder wrecks her own lists by eliminating the bravery debuff command aura... in favor of her fairly lackluster command trait

Edited by Neck-Romantic

24 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Wuts tomorrer?

Forbidden Power drops - gonna pick up my preorder and do nothing for the rest of the day but get covered in glue and list build. It's gonna be a great day all round.  

3 hours ago, lare2 said:

Pardon me but... would just like to do a little squeal of anticipation. I am super duper pumped for what tomorrow brings! 

Me tooooo!

I considered bringing a sleeping bag to my local wh store just to pick my preorder up when they open the doors. However my girlfriend replied: good idea honey, but her eyes  gave me a look that said something like: “god why am I stuck with this looser”. So I decided to tone my enthusiasm down a bit and not celebrate this like it was the second coming of Christ or the Super Bowl (whatever toot your horn the most).

Ok, I might exagerate a bit, but I am really looking forward to almost everything about the Forbidden Power release and that is though I have seen the unboxing videos.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Greasygeek said:

Me tooooo!

I considered bringing a sleeping bag to my local wh store just to pick my preorder up when they open the doors. However my girlfriend replied: good idea honey, but her eyes  gave me a look that said something like: “god why am I stuck with this looser”. So I decided to tone my enthusiasm down a bit and not celebrate this like it was the second coming of Christ or the Super Bowl (whatever toot your horn the most).

Ok, I might exagerate a bit, but I am really looking forward to almost everything about the Forbidden Power release and that is though I have seen the unboxing videos.

I have to agree. The small game I had earlier this week using the rules we have seen was great, LoG plays how I wanted nighthaunt to play. My opponent felt that the bravery debuffs were actually a worrying and difficult thing to work around.

I love nighthaunt, but I think I will be mainly using LoG now, they are much more in line with my play style.

Also, with the shards of valagharr only being 40 points and having relatively large bases, I can see a lot of use in locking down parts of the map with them.

I will wait and see with the upcoming GHB before making new purchases, as currently I will be lacking battleline to actually play LoG, as I only got 20 rasps, as I use reapers and spirit hosts in my nighthaunt army for battleline purposes. 

Perhaps I will get some dire wolves and paint them ghostly like I dont know, but myabe GHB has some new goodies to better inform that decision. I just got Olynder and Craven king as well, so rather bummed out that Olynder is so bad for LoG, as she has some of the coolest abilities in the model line.

5 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I will wait and see with the upcoming GHB before making new purchases, as currently I will be lacking battleline to actually play LoG, as I only got 20 rasps, as I use reapers and spirit hosts in my nighthaunt army for battleline purposes. 

Perhaps I will get some dire wolves and paint them ghostly like I dont know, but myabe GHB has some new goodies to better inform that decision. I just got Olynder and Craven king as well, so rather bummed out that Olynder is so bad for LoG, as she has some of the coolest abilities in the model line.

While I do agree that waiting for the GH2019 is a good idea, do consider using skeletons as battleline. They have a banner that has an addition 6", -1 bravery effect and they can get pretty powerful at high numbers.

Strangely, I kinda like Kurdoss in LoG; I like the ability to steal command points when they can be used to bring entire units back. Olynder... you do lose the -2 command trait, but her 'wail of the damned' may be worth trying out with so many different ways of reducing bravery.

Edited by Qrow