AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

@Luke1705 I've done some test games with them when the battletome first came out, using grims as proxies, took 2 x 15 and they were good but died quickly, being a priority target. They benefit from max squad size. I now have the actual models for 2 x 20 and run them with a KoS on foot and a GoS in a list.

Basically all of our battalions work best when the units are maxed out. If your taking shroudguard then build the rest of the army around that battalion. If you try and fit two battalions in, then most of the time the units will be under strength to fit them in the points. 

2 hours ago, Espy85 said:

We try again, despite what I think of the army, but I'm stubborn and until I find a way to play do not give up.

A lot of those units are at minimum size and will get squished very quickly is my concern from looking at that list. I like the overall theme of it but it needs more bulking out, it's also a lot of drops (I counted 8). Play a few games with the list how it is and see where you need to trim/bulk out units. 

• Like 1

I started out with really liking SH, but as others have said their damage output isn't that great. But I think I will switch it up a bit and use them more defensively as opposed to before when I tried using them to attack. They tie up units more than anything.

I'm also going to try and be more offensive with my chainrasps, try and soften up targets and hold them in place for my more killy units, and distract a bit so hopefully the chainrasps will take more of the damage that maybe otherwise would be directed at my Grimghasts, for example.

Started painting my Hexwraiths (but I built them as Black knights, because I liked the knightly theme more), but man... Compared to the newer Night haunts like the KoS on steed and the Harrows, it feels a bit off painting some parts ethereal and others not. I think it's because the newer NH have a much better blend going from like the skeleton bone of the horse to the etheral bits which makes it easier to define what areas to paint in what colours. \ Random rant over xD 

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

I think it's because the newer NH have a much better blend going from like the skeleton bone of the horse to the etheral bits 

Have you tried using green stuff to make your own ethereal trails? 

You are spot on with SHs being defensive. I'm tweaking a list using SHs in the executioner battalion and also taking shroudguard battalion. Taking slitter artefact on the lord ex, as he's -1 (or -2 if a hero) to hit, gets the bodyguard of the SHs, make them a low wound killing unit. The other SHs will act as backfield objective holders. Meanwhile taking hysh mirror cuirass artefact on the KoSos in the shroudguard, so he gets a 4+, 5++, 6+++, which will help to keep the blades 4+, 5++ lasting longer than normal. It doesn't leave much room for magic but I'll test it out at some point and see how it goes. 

Blades&SHs2klist.pdf

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 1

@Tropical Ghost General I just wrote up my own list to try out that's pretty similar. However, I only had 2x10 Revenants in place of having a Mourngul or Lady Olynder, which either way is a huge damage loss in comparison I am starting to realize.

Looking at your artifact choices instead, I had the Executioner use the Tome in order to cast Reaping Scythe on himself. It worked decently last game to ensure I killed off that Kairos, but I can see Slitter being infinitely more useful, especially against players who string out their models. I had my KoSos using ruler of the spirit hosts to have available for Revenants, but he has the movement speed to get elsewhere if needed (although that would leave the Revenants vulnerable).

I think this list is far more aggressive than the one I used during my report, which was mostly just hyper-defensive\model return, and I really like the idea of it. I just hate that my Mourngul is sort of looking more and more like a 300pt paper-weight when I can just take 20 Revenants and do 80 attacks with the KoSos.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I just hate that my Mourngul is sort of looking more and more like a 300pt paper-weight

I feel you on that. You could give it the hero keyword and let it take an artefact, that would help, a mourngul with doppelganger cloak would be great, but for the points it's just not efficient. In my standard grim list, I've swapped the 300pt for 20 more grims and a GoS. The damage they can put out compared to mourngul is no comparison. ? 

• Like 1

@Tropical Ghost General That would be great, or at least allow him to be healed by giving it the Summonable keyword. At least he looks nice...and I still plan to use it extensively in my above list, but for competitive play I will leave him out. After doing some mathhammer on buffed vs unbuffed Revenants, I can't not take them at this point, at least competitively. Especially combined with coming in as reserves and cogs allowing for 7+ charges w/ a CP re-roll from the KoSos coming along with them.

@Nevar Yeah, it's broken again. But if you add the units under the "Other" section and they are battleline, it will add them to the battleline section.

16 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

The killer combo is Anniversary GoS's spell, pendant of fell wind + cogs. Gives +6, +3, +2 (+11 total move), with the +2 to charging. A unit of grims, blades or harridans can move 19" with a +2 to charge. It's awesome. 

Oh, I hadn't even considered the other GoS. Though, I really do like mine coming with Spectral Lure + Beacon, especially with not having Olynder around. But maybe it's overrated. I had considered Pendant with the KoSos, but still up the air about it. I suppose it would be nice to have to get to the next fight after the first turn charges from reserves.

Hello, everyone!
I am thinking to participate in local 2k tourney soon. That’s my first event so I won’t perform well but I am aiming to the top ?
This is the list, that I made from miniatures that I have, maybe buy something else for variety. I don’t want to lose pathetically so asking for advices.

Here is the list

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
-
 Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer

Doing her stuff

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
-
 Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

Accompanying Lady, either exploding units with his exclusive spell or healing her.

Spirit Torment (120)
-
 Artefact: Midnight Tome 

- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage

Accompanying our “screening” horde, shooting random bolts of caging units in combat with CWH

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
-
 General
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist

General with ruler trait, goes with screening horde, either heals it or gives protection with shademist

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
-
 Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 

Dude that leads Shroudguard. I prefer him over Reikenor, as later cannot leave Lady. Item is chosen because it gives Swordguys more mobility.

Battleline
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360) – most of the time I DS it somewhere where it can start destroying units 1 by 1, usually flanks. Trying not to leave to far from heroes.
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160) – 1 Horde is for screening our heroes from charge, initiating combats
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160) – 2 Horde for protecting objectives.

Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)

Maybe I should bounce them, 15 and 5, IDK, with mKos they are flanking either distracting enemies from main hero blob or attacking weak points. With pendant they are very fast.

Battalions
Shroudguard (110)
5+ FNP, extra command point and item.

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

Main point that I see ghosts as attacking army, can’t imagine them sitting in tight defence as shooting capabilities are awful, so moving forward, main blob consists of Lady, Reikenor, GoS, SP and chainrasps, depending on mission I take 1 or both. We have plenty of units, so during deploy we can guess opponent’s plan and see his positioning to pick targets for shroudguard and scytheghosts.

Main point – I am total noob in AoS, I played 40k a lot, but now I wanted to play AoS. Probably I don’t know some basics that everyone else think as natural. Item choice is pure my liking. If there is more playable variants – I will gladly learn about them.

I am opened to suggestions and but I cant afford endless spells right now. If you have any advice or thoughts, I will gladly hear them.

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Gwen; I usually toss the Pendant on a STorment, as the mKoS is fast enough on his own; and that way their rerolls keep up the pace better

I would consider that as well. Honestly it may just be of better use to have the pendant with the SH's in order to get them into anvil position easier for the Revenants to  swoop in later in the turn.

Edited by Gwendar

On 9/30/2018 at 8:32 PM, Luke1705 said:

How have people been finding the bladegheist revenants? I really like the fall back and charge, but I wonder if only 1” reach with 32mm bases has been tough to deal with

I've only used them twice so far: first was a unit of 5, and they performed a useful service in the battle but died all too easily. Second, a unit of 10- they dived the Daughters of Khaine backline and, with a cheeky bit of resurrection support, they chopped up two units of Blood Sisters in short order, before dying to giant snake Morathi. 

I adore them, is what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I've only used them twice so far: first was a unit of 5, and they performed a useful service in the battle but died all too easily. Second, a unit of 10- they dived the Daughters of Khaine backline and, with a cheeky bit of resurrection support, they chopped up two units of Blood Sisters in short order, before dying to giant snake Morathi. 

I adore them, is what I'm trying to say.

The struggle is fitting more of them in the lists.  :(

I have 30 in Shroudguard... but unless I want to spam them it's hard to bring more.