AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

For those interested, I just put up my batrep against another Skaven player using a heavily magic (and not Flamers) focused Tzeentch list. Painting up these models as soon as I finish my Fyreslayers (only 19 more models to go) so figured I would get some practice in as they're a refreshing break from playing Skaven.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RUNCMD said:

@Gwendar are there any guides or anything online you can share on how to setup games with TTS? Or which module to Download?

Thanks for the Batrep, will give it a read.

Honestly, you just need to search the steam workshop for your models and look for Deinoks table to play on.. he has all the battleplans and terrain among other things that you can select and it automatically sets the table. I would also say to join the following discord groups to find people to play and many of the people there (including me) will teach TTS to anyone just getting in. Tons of tournaments going on pretty often if you're into that as well.

https://discord.gg/mxTX9A2

https://discord.gg/3yRWYsB

And thanks for reading.. I enjoy making them and TTS has kept me sane after not being able to play for 3 months 😅

Edited by Gwendar
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Honestly, you just need to search the steam workshop for your models and look for Deinoks table to play on.. he has all the battleplans and terrain among other things that you can select and it automatically sets the table. I would also say to join the following discord groups to find people to play and many of the people there (including me) will teach TTS to anyone just getting in. Tons of torlurnaments going on pretty often if you're into that as well.

https://discord.gg/mxTX9A2

https://discord.gg/3yRWYsB

And thanks for reading.. I enjoy making them and TTS has kept me sane after not being able to play for 3 months 😅

Thanks a lot mate! Really appreciate the info.

Haha it's a great alternative to not playing that is for sure!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

TTS is amazing.  Now you can test units and AFTER buy them:) the dream for a competitive player. I hope they keep it upgraded post covid too!

Which is precisely what I did with this list and it's all now on order 😅

I have no interest in running a Changehost+Flamers setup (although using Soulscream Bridge in that combination is pretty incredible and I recommend people try it if they haven't) after doing it myself and being on the receiving end.. so I just wanted to experiment with some other stuff. I wanted to run this as Guild of Summoners, but getting the free re-rolls from the General on top of summoned Horrors coming back and keeping things from retreating is far better in my eyes than summoning more chickens for them to do stuff the following turn.

Plus I don't need to buy and paint 2 LoC's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

What do you think to put infusion arcanum to sorcerer lord on manticore? Mount became very scary melee!! Or its better put it on ogroid?:)

I definitely don't think it's a bad choice, but with only 1 cast available to him I would much rather use Arcane Suggestion or Wind of Chaos compared to getting him into combat with Infusion where even then he isn't the best thing out there. If I lose him I lose my RR aura and I would rather have The Blue Scribes casting Tzeentch's Firestorm and being my mobile summoning platform away from other hero's.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xasto said:

I was thinking of running Belakor as an ally, anyone had any success yet? So far my list is basically a 2 drop changehost + belakor

No idea with running him in a list, but he has caused me a lot of grief when I have played against him with his ability.  Depends what youre coupling him with, but he's a great overall utensil in any Chaos army I think.

• Like 1

Question about the Cult Demagogue command trait.

Does the double fate points apply to only spells cast on doubles or all spells. 

The wording is "if casting roll is a double then its an auto success. In ADDITION, if the spell is not unbound then get 2 Fate points instead of 1"

9 hours ago, Xasto said:

I was thinking of running Belakor as an ally, anyone had any success yet? So far my list is basically a 2 drop changehost + belakor

I don't think he's always an auto-include or anything, but the utility he brings for his cost is great and getting 2 spells helps in an army that wants more spells to go off. Being able to just shut off a unit for a turn is incredible (which, by the way he doesn't need to be alive for based on the wording). One thing I think generally works out well is to Enfeeble a melee unit and charge him into the corner of said unit. That 4+ ethereal save will keep a unit tied to him (especially in hosts duplicitous where they can't retreat) for at least 1-2 turns if they can only get a couple models worth of attacks into him at a time.

I wouldn't do this against HGB or anything.. but against a lot of units and it isn't a bad tactic if you absolutely need to tie something up. Barring that I mean.. yeah, 2 casts, a unit shutdown and somewhat resilient hero for hero-based battleplans makes him worth it to me. I can't say I've ever seen it in a Changehost list, but worth a shot.

24 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I don't think he's always an auto-include or anything, but the utility he brings for his cost is great and getting 2 spells helps in an army that wants more spells to go off. Being able to just shut off a unit for a turn is incredible (which, by the way he doesn't need to be alive for based on the wording). One thing I think generally works out well is to Enfeeble a melee unit and charge him into the corner of said unit. That 4+ ethereal save will keep a unit tied to him (especially in hosts duplicitous where they can't retreat) for at least 1-2 turns if they can only get a couple models worth of attacks into him at a time.

I wouldn't do this against HGB or anything.. but against a lot of units and it isn't a bad tactic if you absolutely need to tie something up. Barring that I mean.. yeah, 2 casts, a unit shutdown and somewhat resilient hero for hero-based battleplans makes him worth it to me. I can't say I've ever seen it in a Changehost list, but worth a shot.

This is what I've come up with so far, I intend to test it in a near future

Screenshot_20200813-084841_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know how Burning Sigil of Tzeentch’s 3-4 result(extra 1d6” of movement) interacts with reserve units? Particularly I’m thinking about using it in a BoC list and I’m wondering if I can use it on a unit that comes in out of reserve on a Brayherd Ambush to put it in a better position to charge. They both happen “at the end of the movement phase”.

8 hours ago, Xasto said:

This is what I've come up with so far, I intend to test it in a near future

Screenshot_20200813-084841_Chrome.jpg

cool list, def give us a battle report when you end up using it!

Lot's of double casters which is cool. Probs get an extra Exalted Flamer in turn 2 or if your enemy has some casting as well just bank the points and bring in another unit of Pinks Turn 2 (gross) haha.

Shame he doesn't get a Tzeentch Keyword, otherwise he could make those horrors that tasty -1.

3 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Does anyone know how Burning Sigil of Tzeentch’s 3-4 result(extra 1d6” of movement) interacts with reserve units? Particularly I’m thinking about using it in a BoC list and I’m wondering if I can use it on a unit that comes in out of reserve on a Brayherd Ambush to put it in a better position to charge. They both happen “at the end of the movement phase”.

The way I understand it (based on FAQs etc) is that something like this breaks the phase down into 3 parts I guess (and is in line with "rules as written"):

- Start of the movement phase - this is where you would complete anything that happens ONLY at the start

- Movement phase proper - this is where you do your movement/runs or anything that says "during the movement phase"

- End of the movement phase - where we arrive and your question comes into it, you would execute whatever is to occur in a linear one by one fashion ie: summoning, reserves, then burning sigil effect, with you picking the what happens first second third etc (noting that if your enemy has stuff to complete at the end of YOUR movememnt phase, you take it turn by turn to execute these abilities starting with the person who's turn is taking place, until no more abilities or effects are can completed)

- Movement phase is done - nothing left to do, onto shooting

I think what you would have to think about/do is make sure your order of events is on point and you bring your reserves or summoning in first, make sure they are setup within the range on the sigil, then do the sigil ability. So that if you hit that 3-4 they can take the effect of it, because they are setup on the board already.

In short, yeah the way the rules are written currently and based on how similar things happen in different phases, the answer is yes, but as above, it would be all about the order in which you do things.

Sorry probably more details than whats needed, but im interested in others commenting and chucking their thoughts in the mix also.

1 hour ago, RUNCMD said:

Sorry probably more details than whats needed, but im interested in others commenting and chucking their thoughts in the mix also.

The way I understand it is how you've put it, more or less; If things happen at the same time then the player chooses which happens first (assuming everything happening is coming from 1 player, but if they have some end of movement phase shenanigans it would alternate with the active player choosing first) so you definitely could pull reserves in first and then activate the Sigil.

15 hours ago, Arcce said:

Question about the Cult Demagogue command trait.

Does the double fate points apply to only spells cast on doubles or all spells. 

The wording is "if casting roll is a double then its an auto success. In ADDITION, if the spell is not unbound then get 2 Fate points instead of 1"

Hard to say on that one.. I was sure with 100% confidence that the "in addition" just means that it also has that effect no matter what, but I'm not so sure in this particular instance since it's referring to "...the spell is not unbound". Maybe a rules team email is in question?

On 8/1/2020 at 4:10 AM, RUNCMD said:

@Jaskier I made some tweaks to your list, as I really liked what you were doing, so here it is with some short analysis as well, just food for thought:

image.png.9e8e2a77aa2dd320fcbe52021944760a.png

So I dropped your fatemaster and chucked in the Magister on foot so a couple of reasons:

- Fatemaster command ability is nice, but it will burn your CPs for the LOCs CA, and also the CA inbuilt to internal conflag, making people Minus 2 to bravery! Seriously this comes in handy way more than people think, coupled with the Pinks Hornerblower forcing re-reolls of 1 for your enemy this is a decent combo! The thing I love on the fatemaster is his ability for re-rolling Hits rolls in both Melee and Shooting, but unless you're using this all the time and can keep stuff like your unit of Horrors within the 9' bubble, it might not be that effective!

- Bring in the Magister (either on foot or on disc whichever you prefer really) to essentially do what Geminids does with an additional spell from the book Arcane Suggestion. Check it out if you haven't already, but it does what Geminids does but in my opiniong, better, because it doesn't come back in your face, you have 3 different options to choose from for when you need it most aaaaaand it can still go down the Umbral allowing you to have that LOC use its auto dispell when you need / want to! The only downside here is that Magister on foot is pretty squishy so could be ded to shooting etc. Magister on disc is 40 points extra (140) and might be worth taking if you want additional movement shenanigans. The other cool thing about magisters is that they can cause some Chaos Spawn to come in off their inbuilt spell as well... just a cool feature really.

I also think that taking the Balewind to get an extra spell and add additional range to spells plus the extra save on something like the blue scribes is pretty gnarly for only 40 points and is well worth it for something like fold reality! Highly recommend considering it!

Anyways - interested to hear what you think. but like I said, these suggestions are just food for thought :)

I wish it was still possible to get the Balewind Vortex without paying exhorbitant eBay prices

On 8/13/2020 at 3:44 AM, Xasto said:

I have tested Be'lakor in a league game last weekend against Coalesced Seraphon. I was running changehost with him allied in but I was running horrors as I hate flamer models. Be'lakors ability shut down a Dread Saurian. This turned it into a scenery peice and then I blocked it's base with an endless spell. The guy said he wont be taking that model again 🤣🤣 

I won on Blades edge 10-7. I have also run it 5+ times in lots of other lists and he usually makes back his points etc against KO (in my league) as they have said his 5+ does not affect fly high. 

Your mileage might vary dependant on armies. 

I think if I was going ultra competitive, I think 2 exalted flamers or some sort of heavy teleporting threat  is more what the list needs than more control. My verdict is he is very solid. 

6 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

I think if I was going ultra competitive, I think 2 exalted flamers or some sort of heavy teleporting threat  is more what the list needs than more control.

Just to bounce off this bit here, I really think people running Flamers + Changehost should really look at squeezing in a Soulscream Bridge. It essentially makes you a teleporting castle (a-la-CoS with Irondrakes) with another teleport available as needed. I think it actually works super well with this kinds of setup that are really dependent on T1\2 tabling an opponent.