AoS 2 - Legion of Blood Discussion

RuneBrush

2 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

The big dilemma I'm having is trying to balance a fluffy list that is still reasonably competitive. I made some really nice Blood Knight conversions, so I'm working on a list that has a VLoZD as a general with Aura of Dark Majesty, Prince Vhordrei, ten Blood Knights and then modify from there. I REALLY wish we had better Battalion options because Orb of Enchantment is so good but not so sure it's worth taking over Ethereal Amulet on the VLoZD..

Well, with 2 dragons, 10 bloodnights and battleline tax there is not that much roomfor summonable options.

I tried similar core under soulblight with dragon, manfred, vhordrei, 10 bloodknights and 2x3 vargheists and it worked well

Dont know if blood is that great if youvdont use gravesites /resurection that much 

7 minutes ago, ZLee Syn said:

Well, with 2 dragons, 10 bloodnights and battleline tax there is not that much roomfor summonable options.

I tried similar core under soulblight with dragon, manfred, vhordrei, 10 bloodknights and 2x3 vargheists and it worked well

Dont know if blood is that great if youvdont use gravesites /resurection that much 

That's where I'm at too. On one hand I agree that if you're not using the gravesites and you're getting hit with battleline tax, is it worth it. On the other hand, in LoB the Blood Knights and VLoZD are hitting harder and you can use the battleline tax as chaff / objective holders.

One thing I was thinking about for a "fun list" would be a Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror to double the speed of a 10 man unit of Blood Knights. But I think that can only be used in a Grand Alliance Death army, right?

Edited by BaylorCorvette

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

That's where I'm at too. On one hand I agree that if you're not using the gravesites and you're getting hit with battleline tax, is it worth it. On the other hand, in LoB the Blood Knights and VLoZD are hitting harder and you can use the battleline tax as chaff / objective holders.

Thought so too but the fact that you can taje mannfred for rerolls without making him general littlebit negate that.

If you want to play it under blood, take small units of chainrasps for screens and maybe one bigger block for objectives. 1 block should be enough for resurection to matter

9 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

One thing I was thinking about for a "fun list" would be a Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror to double the speed of a 10 man unit of Blood Knights. But I think that can only be used in a Grand Alliance Death army, right?

Yea, only GA death

9 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

Thats exactly what I had in mind. As Soulblight.

VLOZD
Vhordrei
Mannfred
10 Bloodknights (or 2x5 Bloodknights)
2x3 Vargheists

The big problem is, that if you play it like this, you dont have points for the additional CP left.
Its exactly 2000p.

Thats why my plan was this one:

VLOZD
Vhordrei
Mannfred
5 Bloodknights
2x3 Vargheists

10 Chainrasps (allies)

70p left for endless spells:

maybe
Prismatic Palisade
Quicksilver Swords

But of course it would be great to have 10 Bloodknights, although I think they are better in LoB because of their bonus attacks.

Also not sure if I go for Swift Death or Necromantic for safer casting.

43 minutes ago, Enwolved said:

Thats exactly what I had in mind. As Soulblight.

VLOZD
Vhordrei
Mannfred
10 Bloodknights (or 2x5 Bloodknights)
2x3 Vargheists

The big problem is, that if you play it like this, you dont have points for the additional CP left.
Its exactly 2000p.

Thats why my plan was this one:

VLOZD
Vhordrei
Mannfred
5 Bloodknights
2x3 Vargheists

10 Chainrasps (allies)

70p left for endless spells:

maybe
Prismatic Palisade
Quicksilver Swords

But of course it would be great to have 10 Bloodknights, although I think they are better in LoB because of their bonus attacks.

Also not sure if I go for Swift Death or Necromantic for safer casting.

Take wolfs and cogs. I would use necromantic.

Sorry that this doesnt belong here

I'm after some thoughts/comments on my Legion of Blood list. 

I'm playing with a list that leans on the bravery screams and debuffs but also trying to keep some edge against high bravery armies:

VLZD -( general)  ethereal amulet, Aura of dark majesty, pinions

Necromancer - overwhelming dread

Vlord - flying horror, amaranthine orb 

Tomb banshee

2x units 5 wolves 

40 skeletons

Terrorgheist

6 crypt flayers

Spell portal 

Purple sun

Gnashing jaws 

2 hours ago, Ceebeedee said:

I'm after some thoughts/comments on my Legion of Blood list. 

I'm playing with a list that leans on the bravery screams and debuffs but also trying to keep some edge against high bravery armies:

VLZD -( general)  ethereal amulet, Aura of dark majesty, pinions

Necromancer - overwhelming dread

Vlord - flying horror, amaranthine orb 

Tomb banshee

2x units 5 wolves 

40 skeletons

Terrorgheist

6 crypt flayers

Spell portal 

Purple sun

Gnashing jaws 

If the your list is for fun 👍🏻. Not for competitive, bravery bomb is not a good way to go and the list has so much spells without spell buffs so...

Need some help 1500 points for a small tournament me and my friends are going to play next Christmas. Im pretty new to AOS

Allegiance: Legion of Blood
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Command Trait : Aura of Dark Majesty
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Lore of the Vampires : Amethystine Pinions

-Ethereal amulet

Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference
Necromancer (130)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
UNITS
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
TOTAL: 1490/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 104

Several questions:

1.The +1 attacks for Vampire lords and for Blood Knights from LOB adds also to the mounts(dragon , horses..)?

2.Since all the vampire lords are wizards and they are in LOB,  my two leaders vampires get to know an extra spell from lore of death and also the necromancer gets to know an extra one.?

3.How would you play this ? in general? I am against lots of different army's , does my list completely sucks?

4. I have 2 boxes of hexwraiths/black nights that i plan to convert in to blood knights with the help of some Daemonettes Heads/idoneth and a bit of greenstuff to cover ( basically the bone feet of the black knights) in to armor boots. Am i doing wrong? is a really bad idea?

5. I am also thinking of Running 2 units of 5 Hexwraiths replacing the blood knights, i think that those are pretty awesome if i can support them with a flying vampire lord and they can revive... always save 4... and they don't hit bad at all , so i don't know if i should just play the hexwraiths instead of the blood knights and forget about the conversion....

Any suggestion/advice is more than welcome!

Thanks so much!

Edited by Zaerion

This is the second list i have in mind with the hexwraiths sorry i could not edit my post from before:

Here i would play each vampire lord with the hexwraiths , healing them and buffing them and adding hitting power to them.

Then in the middle and to the objectives , the 30 skeletons, 10 zombies and 5 dire wolfs supported by a necromancer. while the big threats VLZD and the other 2 Vampire lords are trying to do some cleanup.

LEADERS
- General
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
Vampire Lord (140)
- Nightmare
Necromancer (130)
UNITS
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
10 x Zombies (60)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
TOTAL: 1500/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 99
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by Zaerion

19 hours ago, Zaerion said:

This is the second list i have in mind with the hexwraiths sorry i could not edit my post from before:

Here i would play each vampire lord with the hexwraiths , healing them and buffing them and adding hitting power to them.

Then in the middle and to the objectives , the 30 skeletons, 10 zombies and 5 dire wolfs supported by a necromancer. while the big threats VLZD and the other 2 Vampire lords are trying to do some cleanup.

LEADERS
- General
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
Vampire Lord (140)
- Nightmare
Necromancer (130)
UNITS
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
10 x Zombies (60)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
TOTAL: 1500/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 99
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

+1 atack to both rider and a mount. Only command traits and artefacts cannot give bonus to mount.

Necro can take 1 spell from lore of deathmages and each vampire can chose 1 from lore of vampires

Legion of blood is kinda diferent because you use many units that cannot be resurected.  You need to protect your vampiric units (especialy bloodknights) since they cannot heal that well. 

I feel like first list is better since I dont like hexwraiths that much.  Also personaly I dont like vampire lords on foot that much. I would rather take second necro with fading vigor, especialy with skeletons, but that is personal preferance i think. Btw mounted vampire lord gets +1 atack on his horse too.

Overall I think your list is good. I would swap skeletons for chainrasps since you dont have spot for 40 and chainrasp is better at defending and have higher move. Those are 2 main things that you want from big blocks in your list because this legion has alot of damage from vampiric units. That beeing said, many hard hitting agresive forces will decimate rasps as much as skeletons and unchecked skeletons with necro can do alot of unexpected damage. Still I feel that rasps are better, especialy in LoB.

Legion of blood doesnt have any bonuses for infantry/summonable units and that is why picking those that are strong on their own is recomended. You need some summonable units but if too much of your units have a good synergy with other legion then why dont you play that legion. And if you have too little of them then you cannot use gravesites and invocations. Nighthaunt works perfectly for that.

I dont know what models you have or which units you want or dont want to play but this is how I would change your list.

VloZd (ethereal amulet, aura, transference)

Necromancer (overwhelming dread)

2x5 wolfs

10 chainrasp

30 grimghast reapers

5 blood knights

Balewind vortex

Extra cp

Edited by ZLee Syn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

+1 atack to both rider and a mount. Only command traits and artefacts cannot give bonus to mount.

Necro can take 1 spell from lore of deathmages and each vampire can chose 1 from lore of vampires

Legion of blood is kinda diferent because you use many units that cannot be resurected.  You need to protect your vampiric units (especialy bloodknights) since they cannot heal that well. 

I feel like first list is better since I dont like hexwraiths that much.  Also personaly I dont like vampire lords on foot that much. I would rather take second necro with fading vigor, especialy with skeletons, but that is personal preferance i think. Btw mounted vampire lord gets +1 atack on his horse too.

Overall I think your list is good. I would swap skeletons for chainrasps since you dont have spot for 40 and chainrasp is better at defending and have higher move. Those are 2 main things that you want from big blocks in your list because this legion has alot of damage from vampiric units. That beeing said, many hard hitting agresive forces will decimate rasps as much as skeletons and unchecked skeletons with necro can do alot of unexpected damage. Still I feel that rasps are better, especialy in LoB.

Legion of blood doesnt have any bonuses for infantry/summonable units and that is why picking those that are strong on their own is recomended. You need some summonable units but if too much of your units have a good synergy with other legion then why dont you play that legion. And if you have too little of them then you cannot use gravesites and invocations. Nighthaunt works perfectly for that.

I dont know what models you have or which units you want or dont want to play but this is how I would change your list.

VloZd (ethereal amulet, aura, transference)

Necromancer (overwhelming dread)

2x5 wolfs

10 chainrasp

30 grimghast reapers

5 blood knights

Balewind vortex

Extra cp

Hi, thanks for the advice i will check for that , the necromancer and then vampires do not pick an extra spell from the Lore of death?

In the legion of blood chararacteristics Page It says that any wizard can take an extra spell from deathmages.

And vampires and necros hace the keyword wizard so would they take 2 spells? ( Vampires 1 for Lore of the vampires and 1 for Lore of the deathmages) and necros 2 from deathmages no?

4 hours ago, Zaerion said:

Hi, thanks for the advice i will check for that , the necromancer and then vampires do not pick an extra spell from the Lore of death?

In the legion of blood chararacteristics Page It says that any wizard can take an extra spell from deathmages.

And vampires and necros hace the keyword wizard so would they take 2 spells? ( Vampires 1 for Lore of the vampires and 1 for Lore of the deathmages) and necros 2 from deathmages no?

No. In legion of blood is stated that wizards generate extra spells from lores of the dead (70-71). In lores of the dead pages is stated that wizards that generate extra spells from lores of the dead does so this way:

Deathmages - lore of deathmagrs

Vampires - lore of the vampires 

Deathlords they can chose

So necro can take one from deathmages

Neferata can chose 1 from either deathmages or vampires

Guardian of souls cannot chose any eventhough he is legion of blood wizzard because he is not deathmage, deathlord or vampire

Edited by ZLee Syn

22 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

No. In legion of blood is stated that wizards generate extra spells from lores of the dead (70-71). In lores of the dead pages is stated that wizards that generate extra spells from lores of the dead does so this way:

Deathmages - lore of deathmagrs

Vampires - lore of the vampires 

Deathlords they can chose

So necro can take one from deathmages

Neferata can chose 1 from either deathmages or vampires

Guardian of souls cannot chose any eventhough he is legion of blood wizzard because he is not deathmage, deathlord or vampire

Thanks so much for clarifiying , what do you think about the conversion from black knights in to blood knights using idoneth/daemonetes head and a bit of green stuff to cover bone feets ans maybe a bit on hands too, am i too crazy? i really like blood knights but the models are way expensive and its and old model and its resine so ... not a good deal to be honest.

1 hour ago, Zaerion said:

Thanks so much for clarifiying , what do you think about the conversion from black knights in to blood knights using idoneth/daemonetes head and a bit of green stuff to cover bone feets ans maybe a bit on hands too, am i too crazy? i really like blood knights but the models are way expensive and its and old model and its resine so ... not a good deal to be honest.

I am not good at the hobby part (and I am not that good at playing either) but everything that makes you use diferent then original models for bloodknights is a good idea.  Easiest way used to be dragonblades but theyare not sold anymore. Other idea is to w8 till slaves to darkness are relesed (probably in less then a month) and use the new knights. Thar would require more work but is possible and those models are awsome. That beeing said your idea is also good. It will require you to cover hands and feet with greenstuff (some knights have their whole hands uncovered) so it depends how comfident are you in your skill. I think that hands will be much more dificult then feet. I never worked with greenstuff so maybe it is easier then I thought. Good luck and if you manage to do that share pics :D

I would suggest using Chainrasps over Skeletons in LoB. Generally what I like doing is using 1 unit of five Dire Wolves that can act as a screen or a fast objective grabber and then two units of either ten or twenty chainrasp, depending on what my overall list is looking like. Also, I use either two units of five Blood Knights or one unit of ten. A unit of ten Blood Knights, in LoB with the VLoZD's command ability to reroll all misses will rip most things apart when they're on the charge. The thing you have to remember is that Blood Knights are hurt pretty bad when hit with attacks that have rend and also Blood Knights really need the charge, as a result you need to make sure you have a really good screen, especially now where a lot of units from other factions have speed boosts or increased charging range. 

5 hours ago, ZLee Syn said:

I am not good at the hobby part (and I am not that good at playing either) but everything that makes you use diferent then original models for bloodknights is a good idea.  Easiest way used to be dragonblades but theyare not sold anymore. Other idea is to w8 till slaves to darkness are relesed (probably in less then a month) and use the new knights. Thar would require more work but is possible and those models are awsome. That beeing said your idea is also good. It will require you to cover hands and feet with greenstuff (some knights have their whole hands uncovered) so it depends how comfident are you in your skill. I think that hands will be much more dificult then feet. I never worked with greenstuff so maybe it is easier then I thought. Good luck and if you manage to do that share pics :D

If you have any flesh eater courts friends that have extra Vampire Lords or can buy them I highly suggest using Chaos Knights + Vampire Lords for Blood Knights, that's what I did.

20191102_180758.jpg

20191102_180704.jpg

Edited by BaylorCorvette
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey all just a couple quick updates to my recent experiences. I’ve been trying to cram as many games as possible with my Legion of Blood as possible. 

Biggest event I went to recently was Da Boyz in upstate NY with about 65-70 players. 

Managed to go 3-2, winning against 

Dual Stardrake Cities of Sigmar

Typical Slaanesh 6 hero list

Big Waagh Mawcrusha and mass ardboyz

Lost to

Dual Gheist FEC 

Typical Hagg Nar Daughters

Great event, and felt pretty outmatched in terms of army and rules most of the way. So a 3-2 is great in my mind considering what I was up against. The FEC game I think I could have pulled off, but he managed a Double turn going to turn 2 and charged my blood knights before I could do the same. Daughters I had no answer. There’s no conceivable way I win that game. I play against Daughters A LOT and have only managed to even sniff a win a handful of times. Oh well. 

List

Ethereal Zombie Dragon Lord

VLord on Nightmare-General 

10 Blood Knights

10 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

40 Chainrasp

5 Doggos

5 Doggos

Blood Knights just don’t do it. I want them to be able to delete units but D3 damage and -1 rend just doesn’t get it done too often. Sure they kill a unit of battleline (except daughters) but I need them to be able to take out things like stardrakes, maw crushas, and nagash and they just don’t. 

The Ethereal Dragon is so much fun to play with. Cast Mystic shield on it, and shove it down their throats turn 1. Works fantastically. 

Anyways I like the list, If I’m still going 50%+ in today’s meta in every event I’ve been to something is working. 

Also this is what did to bypass the $99/5 resin models issue. 

2E2701BC-405C-4C68-B6C0-C84D68E0DDE2.jpeg

FB923DA3-6AD9-44E0-B5D7-1F951F5D7030.jpeg

DE60ABFD-3ABD-4F7C-A0A6-B2B817B6010B.jpeg

AD08C73B-4F3D-4C83-AB97-507049488F5C.jpeg

4778CB00-B5D6-441D-A819-4B0981107D7E.jpeg

Edited by Ignatius "Nate" T
  • LOVE IT! 2

56 minutes ago, Ignatius "Nate" T said:

Hey all just a couple quick updates to my recent experiences. I’ve been trying to cram as many games as possible with my Legion of Blood as possible. 

Biggest event I went to recently was Da Boyz in upstate NY with about 65-70 players. 

Managed to go 3-2, winning against 

Dual Stardrake Cities of Sigmar

Typical Slaanesh 6 hero list

Big Waagh Mawcrusha and mass ardboyz

Lost to

Dual Gheist FEC 

Typical Hagg Nar Daughters

Great event, and felt pretty outmatched in terms of army and rules most of the way. So a 3-2 is great in my mind considering what I was up against. The FEC game I think I could have pulled off, but he managed a Double turn going to turn 2 and charged my blood knights before I could do the same. Daughters I had no answer. There’s no conceivable way I win that game. I play against Daughters A LOT and have only managed to even sniff a win a handful of times. Oh well. 

List

Ethereal Zombie Dragon Lord

VLord on Nightmare-General 

10 Blood Knights

10 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

40 Chainrasp

5 Doggos

5 Doggos

Blood Knights just don’t do it. I want them to be able to delete units but D3 damage and -1 rend just doesn’t get it done too often. Sure they kill a unit of battleline (except daughters) but I need them to be able to take out things like stardrakes, maw crushas, and nagash and they just don’t. 

The Ethereal Dragon is so much fun to play with. Cast Mystic shield on it, and shove it down their throats turn 1. Works fantastically. 

Anyways I like the list, If I’m still going 50%+ in today’s meta in every event I’ve been to something is working. 

Also this is what did to bypass the $99/5 resin models issue. 

2E2701BC-405C-4C68-B6C0-C84D68E0DDE2.jpeg

FB923DA3-6AD9-44E0-B5D7-1F951F5D7030.jpeg

DE60ABFD-3ABD-4F7C-A0A6-B2B817B6010B.jpeg

AD08C73B-4F3D-4C83-AB97-507049488F5C.jpeg

4778CB00-B5D6-441D-A819-4B0981107D7E.jpeg

Thanks for sharing , i saw it already but i dont get it since im new , why people make the vampire lord ( the non VLZD) the general?

So I picked the non dragon lord because up to the point of submitting lists I didn’t have a ton of games in yet. I come from Soulblight where there’s no gravesites or restoring full units. I expected it to be hugely significant to the game and used often. 

So I figured the games would look like me launching the dragon up to die, and recycling units of chainrasp. 

After playing games I’ve come to the realization that recycling units really doesn’t happen as often as I thought. 

I have since changed to using the dragon as my general, with aristocracy of blood to give me a better chance at my big blood knight units getting a long charge off turn 1 or 2, and my dragon always getting a reroll for it. Saving the CPs id normally use on rerolling hits. It’s working great. 

8 hours ago, Zaerion said:

Thanks for sharing , i saw it already but i dont get it since im new , why people make the vampire lord ( the non VLZD) the general?

At a guess, because you want the VLoZD getting up in people's grill, which is quite a precarious position. Since your ability to resurrect is based on your general, having them hiding at the back is a lot safer.

3 hours ago, LeSwordfish said:

At a guess, because you want the VLoZD getting up in people's grill, which is quite a precarious position. Since your ability to resurrect is based on your general, having them hiding at the back is a lot safer.

Hability to resurect does not come from gravesites and from vampirelords /necromancers general or not , does not matter no?

can a Vampire Lord Dragon Zombie have chalice of blood and also a Vampire lord have anohter? its one per army or a regular vampire lord can also have a second one? 

Edited by Zaerion

1 hour ago, Zaerion said:

Hability to resurect does not come from gravesites and from vampirelords /necromancers general or not , does not matter no?

can a Vampire Lord Dragon Zombie have chalice of blood and also a Vampire lord have anohter? its one per army or a regular vampire lord can also have a second one? 

Each vampire can have chalice with no downside.

Only general can resurect and you sometimes have to chose between combat snd resurect. You want to have your 440 point model in combat as much as possible. 

Edited by ZLee Syn

47 minutes ago, ZLee Syn said:

Each vampire can have chalice with no downside.

Only general can resurect and you sometimes have to chose between combat snd resurect. You want to have your 440 point model in combat as much as possible. 

How is that only general can resurect? can you point me to where in the battle tome/ rules?  Are we talking about the hability Deathly Invocation?

because i see that necromancers, and vampire lords have this hability so i dont understand the thing that only general can resurect thank you!

I think you are probably talking about endless legions , then it makes sense ok! thx

Edited by Zaerion