AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 6/24/2018 at 1:05 PM, carnith said:

Herald and Masque are low scoring depravity. Take heralds on Exalted Chariots. They are the same price as daemon princes for +1 depravity. Also based on the rules for mortal wounds, they are treated as wounds for rules purposes, they should grant depravity if mortal wounds were done on the charge by a chariot. If depravity gets errata'd to be only wounds and not mortal wounds, I think you'll have a better time with DP's as the chariots throw out a bunch of attacks but with no rend. YMMV overall. 

Your battleline is exactly what I take in my battleline for pretenders. Also remember, keeper of secrets are 20 points less. You have 140 points leftover.  You could take 3 endless spells, not really worth it as your keeper is your only caster. 

Overall, your depravity for your own heroes dying is 38.  Look for maybe higher wound heroes instead of herald and masque. If MW's cause Depravity, then chariots could be a better bet (though a pain to assemble). Also if this is the case, wounds caused by spells would be a great source of depravity, as a chaos sorc on manticore can cause a fair number of wounds without retaliation. If you leave points for spells, take cogs or geminids. Geminids can outpace your army, with being set up 18" away from caster and move 8" the turn they are set up, allowing you hit your enemy with 2d3 mortal wounds on some squads. If you get double turned, you can throw the geminids around with impunity, hurting your enemy more. If you get priority turn 2, the geminids cannot hurt you unless you manage to get into combat turn 1. Mortal wounds done this way can in no way generate depravity as it is not from a hero, so be careful about not losing depravity, unless the batter is heavily in your favor. 

So Demon Prince of Slaanesh count not as allies?  My GW store said you have to go by the general's handbook and anything NOT listed underneath Slaanesh counts as an ally, EVEN with keyword.  Is that not correct?  I do not know where to find this in the rules.  Additionally, if you CAN add keyword models as Slaanesh (such as slaves to darkness) without counting them as allies, can pestilens all be run with NURGLE allegiance?

8 minutes ago, DINOSTAR said:

So Demon Prince of Slaanesh count not as allies?  My GW store said you have to go by the general's handbook and anything NOT listed underneath Slaanesh counts as an ally, EVEN with keyword.  Is that not correct?  I do not know where to find this in the rules.  Additionally, if you CAN add keyword models as Slaanesh (such as slaves to darkness) without counting them as allies, can pestilens all be run with NURGLE allegiance?

I'm 99.99999% certain that anything with the mark of Slaanesh is in the Slaanesh allegiance, including the daemon prince. Not sure where the rule is, though. 

Pretty sure Pestilens can be in Nurgle without allying, for the same reason.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DINOSTAR said:

Thanks! To convince the caucus of people I've discussed this with, I hope someone does know where I can show the rule to these bums!  I'm fairly new so nobody will believe me without proof

I wish I could find the rule for you, but it's an absolute maze in the FAQ section. Really hope someone knows where it's located.

3 minutes ago, DINOSTAR said:

Thanks! To convince the caucus of people I've discussed this with, I hope someone does know where I can show the rule to these bums!  I'm fairly new so nobody will believe me without proof

Well for one, they finally updated (around the launch of 2.0) the Warscroll Builder on their website to include all eligible chaos models in each god army.

When you click Hosts of Slaanesh, you get all the slaves to darkness options. (Also applies to Maggotkin of Nurgle, Blades of Khorne, and Disciples of Tzeentch. Back in 1.0, they didn't even have those options, had to hop around between the mortal section, the daemon section, and the slaves to darkness section!)

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Congratulations Tzeentchmike :) Those reports were really interesting, so thanks for writing them up. 

How do you feel about where Slaanesh stands power-wise at the moment? Reckon we're in a league with the big boys? 

Thanks. Power level wise we are up there with the best with the right list, we can play the objective game well, we have a great summoning mechanic and the slaanesh build has the shock an awe approach it can seriously hurt people a lot quicker than they think due to our speed and damage out put. There is still a few bad match ups for us I personally believe fyreslayers is one of our hardest, but the slaanesh have the utility to play the scenarios very well. We also have the exalted keeper which is now a living torpedo I can’t think of another single model which has the sheer damage output and the speed to use it turn 1 anywhere else in the game. Plus her new whispered temptations means a lot of people are afraid of putting hero’s into her as an instant death ability is such a psychological weapon

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tzeentchmike said:

Thanks. Power level wise we are up there with the best with the right list, we can play the objective game well, we have a great summoning mechanic and the slaanesh build has the shock an awe approach it can seriously hurt people a lot quicker than they think due to our speed and damage out put. There is still a few bad match ups for us I personally believe fyreslayers is one of our hardest, but the slaanesh have the utility to play the scenarios very well. We also have the exalted keeper which is now a living torpedo I can’t think of another single model which has the sheer damage output and the speed to use it turn 1 anywhere else in the game. Plus her new whispered temptations means a lot of people are afraid of putting hero’s into her as an instant death ability is such a psychological weapon

That's good to hear. I'm really excited to see where our Battletome takes us, especially spell lores.

I do worry that FW will nerf our Keeper to the ground; they have a tendency to overreact if anything is above average, so I hope we don't get the mornghul treatment. 

7 minutes ago, carnith said:

I really want a fw keeper to play with, but with the increase to FW, I may never buy it. I really want to try out a Exalted + 3 DP flying circus, but I might just have to play it with a normal keeper. 

Do you know anyone in the UK that you trust enough to buy it and send it over to you? 

It is an excellent model (though horrendous to build), and very strong in game, so it'd be a shame to miss out because of FW pricing.

Got to play a 1000 and 1500 point games the shock and awe value can not be under estimated. I only played 3 games won all 3.  The speed and offensive output the army can do is impressive. Surprisingly the defensive mechanics of - 1 to hit  goes a long ways in shutting down abilities. daemonet with a Hellstriders and daemon hero nearby can be tough in combat. Found that useful against a blight cyst it neutered there damage a bit it was also good against those mortal wounds on 6 to hit that some night haunt units have. Though I haven't had chance to play an army with more magic and good shooting options. Hunting multi wound units with the keeper is fun. 

12 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Do you know anyone in the UK that you trust enough to buy it and send it over to you? 

It is an excellent model (though horrendous to build), and very strong in game, so it'd be a shame to miss out because of FW pricing.

I unfortunately dont know any brits to do this. Its a shame cause my next fw order was going to include it. 

Has anyone used Slaves to Darkness stuff with any success? Mainly Chaos Warriors, knights, and chosen. Every time I've tried, they've come across as pillow fisted and not particularly good at tanking, but perhaps I misused them. Do they have a place in a Slaanesh list? 

On 8/28/2018 at 3:35 AM, Enoby said:

Has anyone used Slaves to Darkness stuff with any success? Mainly Chaos Warriors, knights, and chosen. Every time I've tried, they've come across as pillow fisted and not particularly good at tanking, but perhaps I misused them. Do they have a place in a Slaanesh list? 

Yep. My 2k list has 3x10 chaos warriors. I keep my 40 daemonette models as summons. They are great objective sitters especially with shields. You don't want double weapons if you're pretenders... but you lose the bonus after 2 wounds so your mileage may vary. Great weapons give some rend on 4+ save models, quite similar to Ironjaw Ardboyz if you ask me.

Compared to Liberators they are 10pts cheaper and with shields you can get a 5+ save against mortal wounds. Pretty nifty!

In my list, my heavy hitters are two keepers two chariots and two flying daemon princes for maximum wound-to-summoning potential.

Edited by cooleyo

Questions for you lot.

1. Can I move, run, then pile in (without charging) if I am within 6 of the opponent and with the Devotee of Torment command trait?

2. When using the non exalted keeper's command ability, must I attack once, let my opponent go for a combat sequence, then fight again with the unit that I used first, or can I pile in and attack twice in succession without pause for the opponent?

Edited by cooleyo

36 minutes ago, cooleyo said:

1. Can I move, run, then pile in (without charging) if I am within 6 of the opponent and with the Devotee of Torment command trait?

Yup, nothing stops you running and piling in. 

36 minutes ago, cooleyo said:

2. When using the non exalted keeper's command ability, must I attack once, let my opponent go for a combat sequence, then fight again with the unit that I used first, or can I pile in and attack twice in succession without pause for the opponent?

You have to let your opponent select a unit to go before your second pile in. 

@cooleyo To add to @Enoby's answer on the second question. Don't think of that as a bad thing. If your opponent is aware that your model(s) are going to attack twice, it might force them to compromise their combat activation strategy. Forcing the model you attacked to attack again. 

Then (someone correct me if I'm wrong), if they attack the unit that's benefitting from the ability and that unit survives, hold off on doing the second round of attacks (if that's possible?) until the end and enjoy attacking the unit they would have attacked with anyways, had they not reaponded to your threat.

I know this is more of a rules/gaming topic but nontheless. I'm currently finishing assembling my army. I chose a painting scheme already (mostly pink and purple/ i know nothing original) but i am really looking for a nice base theme for slaanesh. Any ideas how to make nice bases? For hosts?

11 minutes ago, Siemano said:

I know this is more of a rules/gaming topic but nontheless. I'm currently finishing assembling my army. I chose a painting scheme already (mostly pink and purple/ i know nothing original) but i am really looking for a nice base theme for slaanesh. Any ideas how to make nice bases? For hosts?

I tend to subscribe to the view that a base should never overshadow the model, so I usually use pale colours (like Agrellan earth and tyrant skull drybrush) to make sure the bright colours of the model stands out.

1 hour ago, Siemano said:

I went with snow bases as i think they work well with my pink/purple scheme. Quick and easy too.

C888AA53-F6BA-47D9-A41B-23B403B7E0A2.jpeg

91642D8B-EC9F-404A-B8AA-E09260F7E1D5.jpeg

That was my first plan. I already made some sylvaneth on snow bases. The problem is i want my slaanesh army to be from the realm of aqshy :P snow bases dont work well with this theme.

On another note, i love your skin color on the daemonettes. How did You make it?

On 8/27/2018 at 1:46 PM, Enoby said:

I'm 99.99999% certain that anything with the mark of Slaanesh is in the Slaanesh allegiance, including the daemon prince. Not sure where the rule is, though. 

Pretty sure Pestilens can be in Nurgle without allying, for the same reason.  

I'm not as precise but nearly as accurate in my certainty this is correct (sorry, nerd jokes based on hearing precise and accurate at work all yesterday).

On the latter, I stumbled upon a 5th ed bat rep about a year ago in an old WD that had a mixed nurgle force of: GUO, Plague Monks, Skrolk, Plaguebeaerers, Nurgle Chaos Warriors, nurglings.  It was a thing of beauty and reminded me why I defend AoS,  For the gamers who truly want a great narrative army it is built into the core of the game.

6 hours ago, Enoby said:

Looks like we're getting something soon! 

Reckon this will be in the same vein as Blightwar or the Silver tower, and will herald a release for us (and maybe Khorne). 

Maybe coming sooner than expected then? Everyone had January down for new Slaaneshi stuff. 

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Maybe coming sooner than expected then? Everyone had January down for new Slaaneshi stuff. 

Well, I'm not sure on the date, but this was a comment on the video so we probably don't have long to wait.  

Screenshot_20180830-151258_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1