AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

Taking this to a 60 man tournament coming up. No realm rules! Realm artifacts are ok though. Any thoughts? 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Blades
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

6 hours ago, LJ26 said:

Any thoughts

The only thing that comes to mind is the generals trait...

if you‘re set on GH for extra healing, might as well promote a necromancer who actually is near skellis to have the trait. Or the vamp lord.

if you’re planning on rushing up to summon 40 skellis from a grave site, ignore my comment

I am currently playing 1k lists with my gaming group and starting up with Death.

I do not own all the models yet, but want to make the list to dictate the shopping list, what I do have though is 10 black knights (Also a VLoZD and 3 vargheists, but they are not used in this example list).

I really like the deathrattle theme and came up with the list below. My main issue with it though is mobility, as aside from the king and knights the rest will lack far behind. The pros are that all is summonable with plenty of sources to bring back dead models and units, and the king and necro can really buff up anything that needs to be a hammer, as the king alone can grant aura and command trait to give +2 attacks.

Is this a nice baseline for a good but not cheesy 1k list? I'd like to expand into 1,5-2k later, adding the dragon perhaps and maybe some morgasts as I love those models.

Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- General
- Mount: Steed
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern 
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Blades
15 x Grave Guard (240)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
10 x Black Knights (240)

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 85

Edit: Also a second option for a 1k list

Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern 
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Black Knights (240)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 82

Edited by Scurvydog

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

Also a second option for a 1k list

Maybe No2 but with the necro as general. The vamp can go crazy with the harbringers and knights and you can resummon, if your vamp hits the floor...

If you really want to go for No1 i‘d switch the balefire lantern for the diadem, the wightking with the graveguard can do some work. 

Both lists have their merits,  list 1 has better regen since all is summonable. That really might come in handy especially in smaller games.

list 2 is faster and punches harder...

About to face a Stormcast force in a few days in the Realm of Fire.

I've got Nagash, an Ethereal Zombie Dragon, a Necromancer, and 30 Reapers + basic battleline + Portal.

I know the Stormcast has around 20 Sequitors and 10 Evocators supported by Liberators and other heroes. They're the Host with Deathless Minions-lite and resurrect units on a 5+.

Anyone have any tips fighting such a list? Those reviving Sequitors appear to be especially deadly.

11 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Edit: Also a second option for a 1k list

Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern 
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Black Knights (240)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 82

Unfortunately your second list is missing a battleline :-S Morghasts are only battleline if Nagash is on the board.

So I've been fooling around with my list as I'm assembling my first batch of models, and I can't make up my mind. My original vision was to go mannfred + vhordrai but the idea of arkhan+ 2 necros +vhordrai might provide more healing and army buffing. I've gotten use to the idea of a very deadly leadership contingent and worry that dropping the mannfred +vhordrai combo will leave me lacking punch. I haven't played a single game of AOS however, so I really don't have anything to base experience on, any insight or personal experience would be appreciated. 

Allegiance: Death
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
- General
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead: Decrepify (Deathmages)
Prince Vhordrai (480)
Necromancer (110)

OR

Leaders
Prince Vhordrai (480)
Necromancer (110)
- General
Mannfred Mortarch Of Night (420)

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
15 x Black Knights (360)

2000 points or 1990 points depending on leaders

Hello everyone! Got a couple of questions, i'm new to AoS, only been playing for about 3 months, but i find it really fun!
Got together an army of nighthaunts quite cheap of the internet, running nighthaunt/ Grand host of Nagash alliance .

A couple of questions, i'll be glad if anyone have the time to answer!

1. First of, is Mournghoul legit after all the nerfs? I thought it looked cool and showed my gf it, and i think she might have gotten it for christmas... And that's before i realised it was 300p. Still a cool model. Do you think it will get any buffs in the future?

2. if i would like to try Grand host of Nagash there is 1 bonus that i have trouble understanding: Magic: All DEATH WIZARDS know an additional spell from one of the Lores of the Dead. But then further down it says that only Deathmages/vampires may take spells from lore of the dead? So like my Guardian of souls can't take any, even if it says they can?

3. This is my list so far, i've won 12/15 games, please tell me what you think!

2x Guardian of Souls - Unnatural Darkness spell (From realm of Shyish) and Soul Cage
1x Lady Olynder - Lifestealer
1x Knight of shrouds on etheral steed - Balefire blade or Slitter
1x Necromancer (Ally) "Optional just to get Dance Macabre and some light heal"
1x Lord Executioner

20x Chanrasp horde
10x Grimghast reapers
10x Hexwraiths
3x  Spirit hosts

1480/1500p
- We're playing 1500p games atm, don't judge

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my "bad" english, it's my third language.
May posts som pics of what i've painted so far (new to painting but getting there quite fast)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrRoff said:

Hello everyone! Got a couple of questions, i'm new to AoS, only been playing for about 3 months, but i find it really fun!
Got together an army of nighthaunts quite cheap of the internet, running nighthaunt/ Grand host of Nagash alliance .

Greetings and welcome to Shyish! Our lord is grateful you have made the correct decision in joining his grand legion well before your death, that just makes you that much more useful when you die! *Laughs in Skeleton*

I'm still fairly recent in playing LoN but I feel I can give you some basic pointers at the very least (I'll focus mainly on Grand Hosts of Nagash since that is what this thread is based on).

1. I don't own a Mournghoul but from what I hear no one is using them much anymore. I guess the nerfs were just too great for it. A shame since its such a cool model.

2. You are correct that your Guardian of Souls cannot take a spell from the Lores of the Dead since he doesn't have all the keywords necessary to use those spells. You can confirm this by trying to put him in the Warscroll Builder.

3. With a list like this it looks like you were originally playing a Nighthaunt army with a Necro ally attached. I'm not familiar with all the inner workings of a Nighthaunt army, but I can at least give you some baseline tips for GHoN to help go in the right direction.

• It seems to me that your current list is very hero heavy. In most cases heroes can do one of two things for your army, buff the rest of you army, or be a one-man killing machine/distraction so the rest of your army can do its job without being disturbed.  So consider removing some of the heroes that don't synergize well with the theme of your army.
    • What is a theme? Basically building your army around a central idea or strategy that you use to win the game. There are many different ways to build your army, especially in the Legions of Nagash Battletome. Focus on what units, spells and abilities you have throughout the battletome and see if you can stack them or find abilities that compliment each other.  This is called synergy. There are so many combinations to choose from it really brings out the strategy in Age of Sigmar and you haven't even rolled dice yet!
  • Building from my first point, since you have so many heroes you are lacking a bit in the number of bodies you can throw at your opponent. You're units certainly aren't bad, but Grand Hosts of Nagash thrive on healing their Summonable units, so the more you have the harder it will be for your opponent to remove threats from the table.
    • Skeletons are always a great choice and are deceptively strong in combat, but Chaingrasps are also really good and everyone loves Grimghast Reapers. Dire Wolves are also a great cheap battleline choice that can help hold points or hold a threat down for a turn or two.
  • Always learn from your matches, especially ones where you lose. They can be great learning experiences on what you need to work on to improve your army and your strategic skill.

Some naysayers may think Age of Sigmar isn't a big deal, but just from list building alone shows how much depth there is in this game and i love that part of it. I hope I was some help to you and that you continue to have fun playing this great game in your community.

For our lord Nagash, for the great undead!

On 11/1/2018 at 7:15 PM, thefishbone said:

I've gotten use to the idea of a very deadly leadership contingent

Since you’re playing grand host you should be ok, with both lists.

manni and VloZd as tag-team should be a nice diversion, while the rest scores some points. 

The arkhan list is better suited for the grind, with more regen, more magic. Vhordrai with the black knights should be a good outrider detachment to put some dents into faces.

so, my sage advice o.O is try both, I think manni could run into some hard brickwalls, while arkhan doesn’t have the heroic action he will perform against most opponents very well.

11 hours ago, MrRoff said:

1. First of, is Mournghoul legit after all the nerfs? I thought it looked cool and showed my gf it, and i think she might have gotten it for christmas... And that's before i realised it was 300p. Still a cool model. Do you think it will get any buffs in the future?

2. if i would like to try Grand host of Nagash there is 1 bonus that i have trouble understanding: Magic: All DEATH WIZARDS know an additional spell from one of the Lores of the Dead. But then further down it says that only Deathmages/vampires may take spells from lore of the dead? So like my Guardian of souls can't take any, even if it says they can?

3. This is my list so far, i've won 12/15 games, please tell me what you think!

2x Guardian of Souls - Unnatural Darkness spell (From realm of Shyish) and Soul Cage
1x Lady Olynder - Lifestealer
1x Knight of shrouds on etheral steed - Balefire blade or Slitter
1x Necromancer (Ally) "Optional just to get Dance Macabre and some light heal"
1x Lord Executioner

20x Chanrasp horde
10x Grimghast reapers
10x Hexwraiths
3x  Spirit hosts

1480/1500p
- We're playing 1500p games atm, don't judge

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my "bad" english, it's my third language.
May posts som pics of what i've painted so far (new to painting but getting there quite fast)

necromancers can't be allies in Nighthaunt sadly! only deathlords and soulblight!

10 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

Greetings and welcome to Shyish! Our lord is grateful you have made the correct decision in joining his grand legion well before your death, that just makes you that much more useful when you die! *Laughs in Skeleton*

I'm still fairly recent in playing LoN but I feel I can give you some basic pointers at the very least (I'll focus mainly on Grand Hosts of Nagash since that is what this thread is based on).

1. I don't own a Mournghoul but from what I hear no one is using them much anymore. I guess the nerfs were just too great for it. A shame since its such a cool model.

2. You are correct that your Guardian of Souls cannot take a spell from the Lores of the Dead since he doesn't have all the keywords necessary to use those spells. You can confirm this by trying to put him in the Warscroll Builder.

3. With a list like this it looks like you were originally playing a Nighthaunt army with a Necro ally attached. I'm not familiar with all the inner workings of a Nighthaunt army, but I can at least give you some baseline tips for GHoN to help go in the right direction.................................

Thank you so much for the long and detailed answer!

I have a quite hero heavy army atm, but that's partly because getting more chainrasps 20x or grimghasts 10x  cost alot of dough to buy new.
I started with the "Start collecting malignants" and then bought the heroes and grim/rasps quite cheap from the internet and a guy that had built them but not painted them.

I would love to use the Mortis Engine but it can't be an ally with Nighthaunts, same with Necromancer i've come to know.

I tried GHoN the last couple of games, and with all the gravesites and my GoS spectral lure + Mystic shield, and necromancer i was quite unstoppable in terms of healing, not to mention the command ability "Endless legion" which seem REALLY strong to me to be able to return a full unit back to life?

My strategy as of latley has just been swarm them with all my summonable units, cast alot of spells to give them minus to hit/wound or make them fight last.
Then just fly over them the next turn with my general and strike them with alot of damage from my relic: 5attacks +3, +2, -1, 3 Damage.
With about 5 spells, 2 of them is spectral lure, heal 1d6 to a unit, or bring back 1d6 + necromancer + gravesites i can easily stay alive long enough.
Even of they would wipe out a whole unit i can just bring them back with an command point.

Oh, and if i really want to mess with them, i just bring my Coven Throne with etheral amulet.

The rules are really badly written when it says in GHoN "All death wizards know an additional spell from one of the Lores of the Dead. Clearly not all death wizards huh.

Now, this may not be the most optional build, but it is what i has at my disposal.

Would love to get Arkham, or some deathrattle, but now i'm mostly focused in my etheral army.

Again, a big big thank you for taking your time and answer a newbie's questions!

1 hour ago, MrRoff said:

Thank you so much for the long and detailed answer!

Its my pleasure, friend!

It sounds like you got the basics down on how GHoN works. I would definitely consider getting both the Skeleton Horde and the Malignant start collecting box sets to help you get not only Arkhan but the Mortis Engine as well. What's also great about what you have now is with the exception of Lady Olynder all of your units can be used in LoN without using any ally points.

14 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

Its my pleasure, friend!

It sounds like you got the basics down on how GHoN works. I would definitely consider getting both the Skeleton Horde and the Malignant start collecting box sets to help you get not only Arkhan but the Mortis Engine as well. What's also great about what you have now is with the exception of Lady Olynder all of your units can be used in LoN without using any ally points.

Got any tips on what relic's i should choose in a GHON army? Is Coven Throne valid?

8 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Got any tips on what relic's i should choose in a GHON army? Is Coven Throne valid?

For GHoN most of their relics are to buff solely the one wielding the relic, so if your army has a hero that is focused on being agressive consider items like the amethyst shard. Otherwise I'm a personal fan of the grave-sand timeglass. With it you can mortal wound a target hero in their backline without having to lift a finger.

Also consider relics from the melgin sorcery which give you a very wide range of relics to choose from.

As for the coven throne, I typically don't see people use it for GHoN. It's probably used more for Legion of Blood/Night.

59 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

For GHoN most of their relics are to buff solely the one wielding the relic, so if your army has a hero that is focused on being agressive consider items like the amethyst shard. Otherwise I'm a personal fan of the grave-sand timeglass. With it you can mortal wound a target hero in their backline without having to lift a finger.

Also consider relics from the melgin sorcery which give you a very wide range of relics to choose from.

As for the coven throne, I typically don't see people use it for GHoN. It's probably used more for Legion of Blood/Night.

You mean relics of the realms from the Malign Sorcery book?
Like, you choose what realm your army comes from and then you can pick relics and spells from that realm?
Is there a rule of what realm not to choose? Can i as Death make my army part of the realm of life?

8 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

You mean relics of the realms from the Malign Sorcery book?
Like, you choose what realm your army comes from and then you can pick relics and spells from that realm?
Is there a rule of what realm not to choose? Can i as Death make my army part of the realm of life?

As far as I understand it you are free to choose whichever realm you want and pick the spells and relics from there. Just remember that named heroes cannot choose any relics.

18 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

As far as I understand it you are free to choose whichever realm you want and pick the spells and relics from there. Just remember that named heroes cannot choose any relics.

The spells are available only if you play in that realm, you get artifacts based on which realm your army hails from.

28 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

Yes that's is correct thank you. My bad for the mix up.

1 hour ago, sainted75 said:

The spells are available only if you play in that realm, you get artifacts based on which realm your army hails from.

Isn't Doppleganger Cloak a really good realm artifact then?
"The bearer cannot be chosen as the target of attacks made by enemy melee weapons unless the bearer has made any attacks earlier in the same phase"

11 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

"The bearer cannot be chosen as the target of attacks made by enemy melee weapons unless the bearer has made any attacks earlier in the same phase"

The Doppleganger Cloak is really good for units like the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon since it lets him stay alive during the combat phase until everyone else has attacked.

13 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Yes it is, of you‘re able to have more units in combat than your opponent...

Some other bling is although valid, the ignore rend amulet or the -1 to hit/ +1 move feather charm 

whatever works best for you or against your opponents 

4 hours ago, Honk said:

Yes it is, of you‘re able to have more units in combat than your opponent...

Some other bling is although valid, the ignore rend amulet or the -1 to hit/ +1 move feather charm 

whatever works best for you or against your opponents 

Etheral Amulet isn't really required in an almost only nighthaunt army, and all have fly and alot of movement.
Does Jadewound Thorn: "Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons to be the
Jadewound Thorn. If the hit roll for that weapon
is 6+ that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound in
addition to its normal damage." stack with frightfull touch?

Isn't this really good on a hero with etheral?:  Ignax’s Scales:
Roll a dice each time you allocate a mortal
wound to the bearer. On a 4+ the wound
is negated.

Also if i have doppleganger cloak and the only unit he has left to attack with is the unit closest to the bearer of the cloak, is he just skipping an attack because he dosen't have anyone to attack? And then it's my turn to attack with the bearer?

Edited by MrRoff
Forgot 1 thing

33 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Etheral Amulet isn't really required in an almost only nighthaunt army, and all have fly and alot of movement.
Does Jadewound Thorn: "Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons to be the
Jadewound Thorn. If the hit roll for that weapon
is 6+ that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound in
addition to its normal damage." stack with frightfull touch?

Also if i have doppleganger cloak and the only unit he has left to attack with is the unit closest to the bearer of the cloak, is he just skipping an attack because he dosen't have anyone to attack? And then it's my turn to attack with the bearer?

From what I can understand Frightful Touch's ability is slightly different in that once you deal the mortal wound that attack has to end (the attack that rolled a 6). On top of that normally Relics that augment a bearer's melee weapon does not affect the mount's attacks assuming it is using one. I would probably clarify this with someone who has dealt with this before as I don't feel confident that I could give you the correct answer.

The scales are pretty good if you're wanting the bearer to stay alive longer. Let's say someone attacks the bearer with 20-something attacks. More than likely even with ignoring rend some attacks are bound to come through. Now you have the scales to give you a 50-50 shot of shrugging off the wounds you just failed to save. It can really help you in a bind!

As for the cloak, if a unit can only attack the bearer of the cloak then they are allowed all the rights of being in combat including piling in to the unit with the cloak, but they still cannot attack the bearer and has to complete the attacking unit's combat step.

Edited by CaptainSoup