AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, broche said:

but 60 pts is a lot.

It's the same cost as cogs which is my point. It's also not something mandatory for turn 1 which means you aren't forced into strange plays involving hiding the wizard essentially removing him from the game.

Additionally you can throw out a mystic shield turn 1 which is ofc huge for the cabbage with ironclad.

I might agree on the weirdfist, haven't played it yet so it's theoretical.

I ran a Bloodtoof today but all I can say is that the results were.... I would like to do further testing. 

I played a game in the morning with my Khorne, then after that game no one else had an army so someone was like, “I’ll play your Khorne army” so I test my Ironjawz. However they had never played AoS before, only 40k, and despite me giving them my best advice and tips for running my Khorne army it wasn’t their strategy, their army, their list so it just wasn’t super useful for really seeing my IJ list potential... but I got to see glimmers. 

I can see how the +2 movement and +4 charge is amazing. I planned for going second because I knew he would drop before me which worked to my benefit... 

Overall I think it can be done either way and is probably a rock solid list - but other armies and more experienced players will give me more information. 

I still have some thoughts on my anecdotal evidence after several games: 

Ardboys are pretty amazing. For 160 points they’re tough as nails, even just 10 of them. They’re great for covering a large area with just their bodies, for denial, tarpitting or just holding objectives.

On the other hand unlike, say blood warriors or Bloodreavers they’re not dog ****** in a fight. They can actually put a hurt on someone. Every game I’ve had I’ve never been like “man I wish I had brought something else.” 

Brutes - these guys are just rock solid. Reliable. Hardcore. Tons of damage. I love them. Against enemies of multiple wounds they wreck, especially when Frenzied to Violence.

Against lower wound enemies the re-roll 1 to hit aura from the Megaboss is clutch, so they can double time as Horde clearing or monster/hero hunting. These guys are just the lynchpin and the work horse for my army. 

Speaking of the Megaboss on foot - I don’t know. His Rip-tooth sucks, and to make it any good you need to put like 2 Warchanter buffs on him. His Choppa isn’t bad and when he kills enemies heroes it’s good.

His re-roll to hit aura for brutes has been clutch.... however he just feels really swingy. Feast or famine - he either wrecks hard or just sucks. He’s also slow and basically has to play tag-along with the brutes. I love this model so I keep bringing him but I don’t feel like he’s an autoinclude for me. 

Weirdknob Shaman/Fungoid Cave Shaman - I think I’m doing it wrong but this is the first game I’ve ever played with Endless spells and this feels like the first time I’ve ever had a useful wizard. Ever. And it’s because he used the endless spell.

Green Puke just sucks, I just feel like their offensive output is trash and they’re slow and have garbage range. Again it’s probably a me thing but every time I bring one he’s just there on the board and he never does anything. I don’t like these but I keep taking them because dispell I guess. 

Gore-Gruntas - another unit I’m iffy on. Swingy for me again. Some games they just get shot off the board or wrecked before they can even charge, but that’s probably a me thing, bad positioning, or target priority, but then other games they get stuck in and they’re never Killy - not really - but they just last forever. They’re either paper towels or tanks and it’s either/or.

I’m never amazed with their offensive output and I continue to struggle with what their purpose or role in Ironjawz is aside from “goes fast”. Their boars are garbage so really it’s the riders and they’re like worse than Ardboys somehow lol. 

The best thing I’ve found for them is to just run into enemy shooters to tie them up and... mildly injure/annoy them until the rest of my army gets there. Unless their shooters are protected by several screens of units. Then it’s just like “hey we got here first, didn’t do much... maybe lasted awhile maybe instantly died.” Ok? I guess... 

MBMK is just wonderful. He’s my favorite thing in AoS out of everything and always rules. He can do no wrong in my eyes. 

Warchanters are auto include for me. They make anything they touch automatically better and they’re just super silly to fight with in combat. It’s even funnier with they beat someone to death with their drumsticks... and they’re not particularly... TERRIBLE in melee haha. 

• Like 4

Trying to think outside the box a bit. I keep defaulting to variants of Mawcrusher+ Ironfist everytime I try to build a list. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
Ironfist (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 181

The whole list should still be able to close by turn 2, possibly with 3 CP in the bank and Broach.  'ardboyz are deployed  on the flanks stretched to the center to receive Waaghs, banner, chanter buffs .  I'm a little worried about the warboss/megaboss being sniped early, but if I notice it's a recurring problem I've thought of some contingency lists that will hopefully keep them alive long enough to at least Waaagh dump turn 2 ( variants with Palisade, defensive artifact on MB, warchanter general w/ prophet of waaagh, a few others).

What do you guys think?

Edited by Andrew G

@Andrew G I like the idea, honestly though I think if I were going to run what you are I'd go with an Ardfist instead. Your list is very hard to shift and the Ardfist is potentially 450 points returning to the board.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Ardfist (170)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 186

This isn't quite the list you were running but it's very similar, the main thing is the loss of the aetherquartz Broach, changing 5 brutes --> 10 Ardboys and Ironfist --> Ardfist. Plus you get 30 points for the prismatic palisade to potentially ****** some shooting over.

If you desperately wanted to keep the broach you could swap the Ignax's Scales for Daubing of Mork on him which would let you have the Broach on the second WC instead.

• Like 1

Just came off of a 30 man local tourney went 2/3 with the loss being on 11-9 places of power on top table to a tzeentch tzaangor and casters army. 

I ran Bloodtoofs 

Realms- shyish

MBMK

- Ethereal amulet + Prophet of the waagh

2 x chanter

-Boss skewer 

1x foot boss

-Goldtoof

1 X fungoid shaman

3 X 5 brutes

2 x 3 gruntas

Cogs

I have to say complete immunity to Rend with rerolling 1 much of the time and the ability to reroll crucial Waaagh dice was absolutely devastating!

Being able to stick my mug in just about anywhere shrug it off was Huge. With the big spikes in atks given by prophet (6-10 atks on 4 command points). Also the ability to squeeze out an extra atk later. Or reroll a crucial Waaagh when units were low, saw me clean through many a hairy situation. 

I'll post a summary of my Batreps later. The battle plans were randomized between rounds. My match ups were 

Game 1 - Border war - Onedrop sylvaneth army with a huge block of Melee Kurnoth hunters

Game 2 - Places of Arcane power  BCR 3 x stonehorn 2 x butcher 1 X thunder tusk 

Game 3 - Three places of power 2 x30 man blocks of tzaangors,  small batch of dogs, gaunt summoner, tzaangor shaman and Fate weaver and spells. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Megaboss Gorstag said:

Just came off of a 30 man local tourney went 2/3 with the loss being on 11-9 places of power on top table to a tzeentch tzaangor and casters army. 

I ran Bloodtoofs 

Realms- shyish

MBMK

- Ethereal amulet + Prophet of the waagh

2 x chanter

-Boss skewer 

1x foot boss

-Goldtoof

1 X fungoid shaman

3 X 5 brutes

2 x 3 gruntas

Cogs

Exactly the list I want to run in 2k points, awesome.

Interesting artefact choice, too. Would you care to explain why you had such a heavy focus on battleshock although you ran bloodtoofs? Thanks bud!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

Exactly the list I want to run in 2k points, awesome.

Interesting artefact choice, too. Would you care to explain why you had such a heavy focus on battleshock although you ran bloodtoofs? Thanks bud!

In my lead up practice games I had been running hyish or Ulgu for my magic items lens/spell mirror for protection and mirrored cuirass /miasmic blade.  But the defensive buffs were never enough. Any help With such low body count is good. But it seemed to be more diverting a trickle then any real stemming of the tide. 

When playing against people with endless spells I deployed in a large block keeping the gruntas as a wall. With my units placed a max coherence it was difficult for people to "fly" spells  over individual units leaving the damage/debuff (ugh geminids) to usually fall on the Gore gruntas. After that I just hauled off out of their range and spent my endless spell moves pushing them to empty corners. 

The logic behind my battle shock focus was twofold. In my practice games leading up to the tourney I played quite a few games against armies that starting stacking some serious bravery penalties or could cause additional models to flee. It was annoying to lose a Brute to battleshock when you are bravery 8. And unlike the mortal wound difficulties I knew that I could make the battleshock phase almost a non entity. My second reason was that I made the magic item choices 5 minutes before list submission and I couldn't find anything else in shyish that jumped out at me. 

It paid off in spades though. In the sylvaneth game I had a single brute boss survive the battle shock round(rolled a 5 when I had lost 4 YaY skewer) then go on to bludgeon the melee hunters with +8 atks and rerolls the following turn when I Waaaghed. 

In the second game with the BCR I had another brute boss do the same b/c he was under the Gold toof radius. Didn't have to chance that 50/50 battle shock for losing 4. Again the following combat phase saw him chain a smashing and bashing off a wounded stone horn with +7 atks and rerolls to hit.  Honestly it kept enemy units locked in place, and them dismissing a single brute as an annoyance, when they were in a position to gut them. 

The tzeentch player had spoke with my previous opponents and went out of his way to nuke off any free floating brute boss b/c of how they could turn the tides. 

Was a nice feeling going through 3 games and not losing a single model to battle shock. 

Edited by Megaboss Gorstag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

made a variant of the list: Keeping a resistant Maw-Krusha, swap bloodtooth for ironsunz (2/3 big defensive buff round 1, bigger MK), and a flying Megaboss with 8'' move to threathen weak backline heroes

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
Ironfist (180)
Ironsunz (120)

Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

• Like 1

Hello Ironjawz boyz and girlz! Beastclaw Raiders player here looking for some sage advice.

Has anyone run a squad of 6+ gore gruntas? Through one of the BCR battalions we can ally in gore gruntas. Part of me wants to try running a squad of 6 or even... 9 as a chaff/zone control unit. Most lists I see take squads of 3, am I out of my mind thinking that 6+ could be a solid anvil? Obviously battleshock is a bit of a concern but with my army's lack of command point outlets I don't mind dropping one or two to save a 5 wound model.

Also, as I've not used gore gruntas before, how do people generally feel about their damage output? Obviously, it is much better on the long charge but do you see them accomplishing much in that department most games? I've heard stories of their lack of damage, just seeing if those have any legitimacy.

Thanks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

Hello Ironjawz boyz and girlz! Beastclaw Raiders player here looking for some sage advice.

Has anyone run a squad of 6+ gore gruntas? Through one of the BCR battalions we can ally in gore gruntas. Part of me wants to try running a squad of 6 or even... 9 as a chaff/zone control unit. Most lists I see take squads of 3, am I out of my mind thinking that 6+ could be a solid anvil? Obviously battleshock is a bit of a concern but with my army's lack of command point outlets I don't mind dropping one or two to save a 5 wound model.

Also, as I've not used gore gruntas before, how do people generally feel about their damage output? Obviously, it is much better on the long charge but do you see them accomplishing much in that department most games? I've heard stories of their lack of damage, just seeing if those have any legitimacy.

Thanks!

Their bases are rather large so anymore than 6” will make it difficult to get them all stuck in unless they are fighting a giant blob of <something> like 30-40 25mm based <something> or bigger bases. 

The Pig Iron Choppas are decent, but in my own experience the boars are worthless. Out of so many attacks from all 3 GG’s maybe 1-2 wounds will go through from the boars, so at this point I don’t even bother with the D3 damage. 

My GG experience has been, to use a D&D term, “save or suck”. As in they get in and they take a LONG time to remove and just hang around as tanky little ****** that can usually kill the unit they’re stuck against faster than they get killed but it takes 2-3 turns of fighting or they just immediately die and do nothing at all. 

Depends on the opponents shooting. 

Either way their offensive output, at least compared to literally everything else in the army except the Shaman and Warchanter is lackluster. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Their bases are rather large so anymore than 6” will make it difficult to get them all stuck in unless they are fighting a giant blob of <something> like 30-40 25mm based <something> or bigger bases. 

My GG experience has been, to use a D&D term, “save or suck”. As in they get in and they take a LONG time to remove and just hang around as tanky little ****** that can usually kill the unit they’re stuck against faster than they get killed but it takes 2-3 turns of fighting or they just immediately die and do nothing at all. 

Either way their offensive output, at least compared to literally everything else in the army except the Shaman and Warchanter is lackluster. 

Thanks for the advice! I believe their bases are the same as mournfang, which are rather large and awkward. With that said, I should probably cap it at a squad of 6. As I thought 9 would be... adventurous.

This is basically what I was hoping. I want these guys to bog down my opponent so that my big hitters can get around and smash. It is good to know that I shouldn't expect much damage out of them.

I would LOVE it if BCR had access to anything else Ironjawz :( Sadly, we're limited to one battalion that lets you take 2 squads of pigs. A lame restriction in my opinion.

1 hour ago, IndigoGirls said:

Thanks for the advice! I believe their bases are the same as mournfang, which are rather large and awkward. With that said, I should probably cap it at a squad of 6. As I thought 9 would be... adventurous.

This is basically what I was hoping. I want these guys to bog down my opponent so that my big hitters can get around and smash. It is good to know that I shouldn't expect much damage out of them.

I would LOVE it if BCR had access to anything else Ironjawz :( Sadly, we're limited to one battalion that lets you take 2 squads of pigs. A lame restriction in my opinion.

id run 2 x 3 man squads if the formation allows it....they perform well in 3's

@IndigoGirls

I have run units of 6 several times and I personally like them. They are a bit unwieldy due to the huge amount of board space they take but it changes the roll they play.

At 3 ggs are a medium cav harassment unit which threatens weak units or poorly defended units. At 6 they become heavy shock cav capable of serious damage even without the 8" charge.

There are a few other things to consider since you will be running bragoths beast hammer.

Both ggs and mournfang love the +1 to hit and at 5 wounds 7 bravery it's incredibly hard to battleshock them. 

A block of 6 is generally only getting 4 into combat which ironically means they don't lose damage with the first few casualties. This is by far the biggest difference I found between 3 and 6. At 3 losing 1 gg really tanks their output but at 6 it's 15-20 wounds before the same happens. This means you can realistically activate them last without to many problem, very important for bcr. 

Its also worth noting that the spare bodies will make it easier for you to keep then in range to give the +1 to both their own unit and the mournfang.

Personally I would say try it. If you want to run the beast hammer you need 6 anyway. Fight a friendly game against someone who will let you proxy 3 bases for a unit of 3 and compare how you feel about both unit sizes. Would you rather just have more mournfang instead etc.

• Thanks 1

@Malakree Awesome and informative post. Thank you for your perspective and confirming much of what I had hoped for!

A real problem for BCR is a reliable anvil. While I could take grots in large groups as an ally I much prefer the Beast Hammer battalion and the idea of pigs as my anvil. The last thing I want is my stonetusk stuck in with a bunch of garbage because I lacked an appropriate screen. Additionally, I want a unit that can take a hit from something big and keep fighting. Basically, I want some options and see a 6 squad as being able to fulfill that role. An alternative is a squad of 4 mournfang but when you lose one you lose a lot of potential damage. As you noted, the 6 man squad can take a hit and keep chugging.

Again, thanks for all the information, I'm planning a big move and will be taking my BCR with me. Therefore, I'm trying to think of some fun additions to keep the army fresh and the pigs seem like the ideal candidate.

3 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

Again, thanks for all the information, I'm planning a big move and will be taking my BCR with me. Therefore, I'm trying to think of some fun additions to keep the army fresh and the pigs seem like the ideal candidate.

I was at Bravery One British Open last weekend and there was a Braggoths there. I don't know how it finished in the final standings but I think it was mid tables when I saw it.

So I finally got to test my boys against a top tier army last night (sadly in progress of still being built) and it was a real roller coaster, very tough battle with a Pyrrhic result.

IronJawz vs Legions of Nagash

My list

• Allegiance Ironjawz (Hysh)
  • Bork Ballsmasha on Mawkrusha (Ironclad, Mirrored Cuirass)
  • Megaboss (The Destroyer)
  • Warchanter (Aetherquartz Brooch)
  • Fungoid cave shaman
  • 5 units of 5 brutes
  • Bloodtoofs and Ironfist
  • Cogs

His list

• Allegiance legions of nagash (Hysh)
  • Nagash (all his filthy bony stuff)
  • Necromancer
  • Vampire (Aetherquartz Brooch)
  • 30 reapers
  • 40 skeletons
  • 2 units of 10 dire wolves
  • Shackles
  • Umbral spell portal
  • Additional CP

Essentially his army was build around magical dominance and destruction as well as buffing big solid core units into heavy fighting units that were difficult to take down, would hit really hard and if destroyed would all just reappear next turn. Also everything unbreakable, rerolls armor saves of 1 and rerolls hit rolls of 1. Tough to take down.

We played the relocation Orb (key with this is if you take first turn you score 1 point for holding, if you go second you score 3 - this is important), with the setup below, he screened everything with unbreakable spirits and I gave him first turn.

IMG_4037.jpg.a5f63ee1b846d9c567fc76d0957e4280.jpg

He did a few wounds with magic first turn but most things were out of range. My first turn I used the cogs and rapid movement to pile my army to his front line to clear it and claim the objective.

IMG_4038.jpg.d3cf785323b444f0e862e30f729858a8.jpg

By the end of the turn the 30 reapers were gone, as was the vampire and all but 1 direwolf on one unit.

Priority was a huge roll here, had I won it was gameover, the screen was gone, nagash, his necromancer and skeletons were in easy charge range or Bork and 5 units of Brutes. He rolled a 1... alas so did I - LON turn 2, and what a turn 2 - I got to see why they call him the master necromancer and lord of death.

First joy was the return of the 30 reapers I just slew behind my forces, realistically I couldn't have stopped these being summoned as I couldn't get to all the grave sites, but it is wild to have 360 points of fighty and hard to kill unit reappear.

IMG_4039.jpg.2eac28c7d6f9773557637692f4237772.jpg

Next up was a brutal magic phase. Nagash one shot hand of dusted Bork who blew away in the wind and proceeded to dole out mortal wounds to my brutes and my backup megaboss. His skeletons were buffed with attack twice to have 6 attacks this turn and piled into my brutes. The only relief was that the reapers didn't make it into combat and neither did nagash with a double 1 charge, although he was hoping to screen the relocation orb which moves to the bottom left to be claimed by the wolves. In the combat phase the skeletons killed the backup megaboss which was really bad (leaving me with no Waaagh) and dealt some damage to my Brutes, my brutes killed a good chunk of them. This was the big takeaway for me - there was no reason for me to throw the megaboss into melee right away, I should have kept him back a bit just in case things went south to give me the ability to waaagh and keep me in the game.

Going into turn 2 was looking almost impossible, I had no bosses for waaagh, all units except 5 brutes well away from the objective, 1 warchanter and a fungoid locked in combat with skeletons. I was going to be tabled for sure so was fighting for objectives. He had 2 points for his 2 captures going first, I had 3 for my second turn capture.

The theme of the game was mistakes in blocking, and my opponent made a couple this turn which allowed me to do some shenanigans. There was a gap big enough for the warchanter to move in front of nagash and then with a big charge scoot right past him to claim the objective by the wolves (characters with artifacts count as 20 models in this scenario) netting me another 3 points and making it 6-2 to me. He also left an 8" space between his blocking wolves at the top and skeletons allowing my 1 units of unengaged brutes to sneak through and kill his necromancer. Even without buffs my remaining brutes cleaned up the skeletons.

LoN turn 3 was going to be brutal and it was, he won the roll for first turn again, objective moved up and left. He immediately summoned back the 40 skellies I just killed (now at 500 points of free stuff including healed dire wolves):

IMG_4040.jpg.db315fa39125ce9dcae7ac03e1afd7df.jpg

Nagash blasted my brutes (which I think was a mistake as he should have killed the warchanter and simply win the mission) with hand of dust and mortal wounds leaving a few remaining who got mobbed in combat by Nagash and 30 reapers. The Brutes held their own, killing the wolf unit in combat with them and dealing some wounds to the chainrasps but really dying heroically. LoN claimed the objective but because they were first only got 1 point making the score 6-3:

IMG_4042.jpg.c5aa875993daf3a0712938974d2922ac.jpg

This was the biggest mistake for my opponent, I had only my warchanter left and a handful of Brutes, it should have been game over, however he moved his wolves back to guard the objective and left enough space between the 2 wolves at the front for me to lodge the warchanter in between them (photo after combat when a dog died and they wrapped around) and claim the objective again, making the score 9-3. I lost all my remaining brutes. Only the warchanter lived at this point.

IMG_4043.jpg.86a31968cfd9059ba779ec2075c45f0e.jpg

The objective moved again to just behind my warchanter which meant the game was decided, if I won priority I would retreat from combat and claim it for a worst case 10-9 victory, maybe 10-7 if I go second turn 5. If he goes first this round I win worst case 9-7, possibly 9-5 depending on last round priority. On this basis he went first and used nagash to crush the warchanter. Ironjawz win! But there is no one left alive to enjoy the victory. A Pyrrhic victory for sure, but one I am proud of given the bad hand I was playing with those last few turns.

IMG_4044.jpg.cb08d843659db06c5d3cefe3e5ae3ebc.jpg

Main takeaway and this should be considered by anyone playing in a tournament or a regular game for the win.

Never ever give up, read the scenario and see what can potentially be done. The AOS rules mean that you don't auto lose when you are tabled, the opponent just has the remaining turns to score what they can. So it is possible to play it smart and rack up enough points to get ahead if they are focused on the joy of killing all of your stuff - and for sure he was having a good time doing it. At the end of the day from my turn 2 I knew nothing was going to survive and I used my Brutes for sacrifice, blocking and distraction and snuck the only unit that mattered, the warchanter around to capture to the points.

For the matchup in general against LoN, although I got annihilated, I dont think they are beyond our ability to table them also, which is quite something against a top tier army. If I won priority turn 2 I wound have destroyed his army that turn.  If Bork passed his 50/50 hand of dust I could have had a very good chance to kill nagash and destroy his army also, if I won priority turn 3 I could have also killed nagash and made it a close win. These are all 'ifs' but in the last edition against some top tier lists there were matchups where there were no 'ifs' just a one in a million shot to win. Ironjawz feel more solid this edition, more able to surprise with explosive damage and movement that catches opponents off guard.

I hope you enjoyed the report, I really enjoyed the game.

Edited by Rock Lobster
  • Like 13

@Rock Lobster great write-up, i love the tactical insight! Its nice to know that there is hope against Nagash as that is (no pun intended) the boogeyman around my meta.

If i might ask though, what is the purpose of the FCS in your list as opposed to a regular moonclan shaman? If he is not your general your only getting 1 turn of the reroll/2 spells. Are you finding that this is enough/better than the +2? Is it a resilience thing...bc i know he is a little harder to shift, but at 4 wounds they both tend to splat when looked at wrong. Just curious...

2 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

@Rock Lobster great write-up, i love the tactical insight! Its nice to know that there is hope against Nagash as that is (no pun intended) the boogeyman around my meta.

If i might ask though, what is the purpose of the FCS in your list as opposed to a regular moonclan shaman? If he is not your general your only getting 1 turn of the reroll/2 spells. Are you finding that this is enough/better than the +2? Is it a resilience thing...bc i know he is a little harder to shift, but at 4 wounds they both tend to splat when looked at wrong. Just curious...

It is for the survivability but also the dual use turn 1. The fungoid allows me in my first turn to cogs and mystic shield the Maw krusha fairly reliably, then from that point forward he either just mystic shields or fires a couple of magic missiles to snipe off a model with 1 wound left etc.

He is also much more survivable with a 5+ invuln save to ignore wounds and the -1 to hit. In this game I threw him into combat against the 30 reapers on the corner of the unit to pin them in place for my opponents turn to stop them coming in. With only 9 models able to attack him and -1 to hit and the 5+ he survived to combat to sit there in his turn. A good use of 80 points after his main purpose was done to delay 360 points from coming at me a turn.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

@Rock Lobster  Somewhat off-topic, but looking at the pictures there I really like the table you guys played on.  Most especially I like the look of the table, which appears to be a roll-out mat.  Do you by chance know which manufacturer that particular mat comes from?

No idea im afraid. That was at Darrens place from the Canhammer podcast, really awesome setup he has, great terrain, lights etc.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

No idea im afraid. That was at Darrens place from the Canhammer podcast, really awesome setup he has, great terrain, lights etc.

The terrain looks like the pre-painted terrain sets that www.gamemat.eu sells.  I guess I will go see if that is their mat as well.

Thanks for the reply! ?

EDIT:  it appears that my suspicion was correct and it was this mat:  https://www.gamemat.eu/our-products/battle-mats/6-x4-g-mats/6-x4-g-mat-wastelands/en/

I was interested in that a while ago, but not sure.  Now that I see it in the battle report I think I will pick it up.  Thanks for the pictures!

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

Yestarday played vs SCE. Scenario - the relocation orb. After turn 2 SCE got on table 2 incantors and 2 units of judicators (1 with chamon -1 hit -1 save debuf). I lost 2 units of GG and Gordrakk. IJ-4:SCE-1. My opponent surrendered 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
- Allies
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Guardan's Coronet 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline

Battalions
Gorefist (190)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 99

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (340)
- Artefact: Soulthief 
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Meteoric Standard
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
20 x Liberators (400)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- Lore of Invigoration: None

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

• Like 1

Solid list @Imperial, for me this is clearly a T1 list. Hard to screen with the 2 Krusha potentially doing 8 mortal before gruntas charge. I don't think a lot of army can handle that big spike of damage round 1. I would use Fungoid over Grot shaman maybe?  (so you can open with both Mystic shield and Cog and your odds are much better)

Edited by broche