AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I've been away from playing and focused more on painting, but it seems like gruntas are pretty big right now. Anyone have any c&c on this list that I'm working toward?

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

@brovolone cheese drop the giant and the Cog, take let say a fungoid and 3 extra Gruntas. 

Gargant: Currently he just don't worth his point. The only argument to take him is fluff.  He's just plain worse than any ironjawz units AND don't benefit from any bonus.

Cog: With Ironfist your threath range is enough. Doesn't worth it's point. 

Fungoid: At 90 pts, the fact you'll get 1-2 free CP over the game mean he is basically free. and he have a 4+ ward save.

good luck!

Weirnob, it depend. He's a bit expensive, but he his Ironjawz. If you play with realmspell then should worth it. And he might actually does damage when you Waagh for +6 attack (8 attack at 4+ 3+ d3 damage rend 1 is significative)

Warboss on boar with banner is certainly not bad, give you some waaagh (unrestricted) redundancy and reroll wound of 1 in ironjawz is really good.

2 hours ago, Backbreaker said:

Almost a must have for me. I don't see why any Ironjawz player wouldn't take him ! 

Well, he is 140 pts, can't take artefact, can't really threaten even a small unit. You already have a big waaagh with the MK, so as long as he is alive you're good. So it depend on list, sometime you're just best gamble you're MK will survive and invest those point elsewhere.

8 hours ago, broche said:

Well, he is 140 pts, can't take artefact, can't really threaten even a small unit. You already have a big waaagh with the MK, so as long as he is alive you're good. So it depend on list, sometime you're just best gamble you're MK will survive and invest those point elsewhere.

Just rerolling to wound is enough for me. Our army does one thing, wreaking faces. Anything that help us do that in addition to a Waaagh is really good. 

And sometimes, we don't have 6 different IJ units clos to our Waaagh source, he's safer in that regard.

But it's true that I often play Gordrakk and not a regular MK so I might be wrong !

2 hours ago, Grailstorm said:

Have any of you managed to make two batallions work at 2,000 points?  Love the idea of a third item, but at around 300 points is it worth it?

This is as far as i know a fairly typical build for Ironjawz:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 133

The only hard to swallow pill is that you skip the magic phase. Ironjawz profit heavily from first turn to get board control and block several features of meta armies: graveyards, wyldwoods, contagion points etc. or you get quicker to armies like idoneth which u have to fight prior to turn 3. With bloodtoofs you have a very high chance of getting it because it's a one drop. You could take the weirdnob shaman but hes just so bad. He offers little to nothing. You could ally other casters to the army but then you would loose your one drop. Same for the Megaboss. In general, the warboss with waaaghbanner from the greenskinz is better for 140 points as he offers a reliable waaagh without rolling and a 1's to wound bubble. But again, you would loose your one drop.

In my opinion it's the most competetive build right now for ironjawz which is not the Gorefist (Gorefist is probably really strong with 2 mawkrusha for example, but for me its really lame)

The second build is without any battalion and lots of aardboys and gore gruntas as brutes are too squishy and slow without the battalions. 

For artifacts: if you want a Megaboss on foot, he needs fly. Otherwise he can't reach the targtes he wants to reach. The thermal rider cloak makes him a great hero hunter. Ignax scales are nice on the mawkrusha and the boss skewer is nice for debuffing and buffing morale. Second option is hysh with aetherquarz brooch and coronet for multiple multiple waaaghs, maybe even with prophet of the waaagh for rerolling the dice, fisihing for 6s. 

Edited by DerZauberer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Grailstorm said:

Have any of you managed to make two batallions work at 2,000 points?  Love the idea of a third item, but at around 300 points is it worth it?

My Bloodtoofs list was this.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Madcap Shaman (80)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 139

It had a Fungoid and a Madcap but with the Gloomspites it no longer fits. I'm not sure how I'd alter it, maybe drop the Brutes to another 10 Ardboys and 2 fungoids instead, but it's built around the Mass Waaagh! combo one turning people off the board.

1 hour ago, broche said:

We can't really talk competitive list without Aetherquartz brooch, and now allied fungoid(s).

Unless you bomb early with at least +4 attacks (ideally more), you'll never beat any of the top army.  

Even then we won't beat a LoN army. You end up blowing everything into units they bring back.

18 hours ago, Malakree said:

Even then we won't beat a LoN army. You end up blowing everything into units they bring back.

I think depending on scenario/realms, if you go first in round 2 you should have a shoot at killing the general. I'm not sure Ironjawz currently have autoloss matchup, it's just that they rely pretty much on luck.

12 hours ago, Imperial said:

On previous week i tested Skragrott, The Loonking as ally with Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron. Itchy Nuisance and The Hand of Gork combo work very nice! Teleport -> Debuff -> Waaagh -> charge with MSU -> profit.

How could you use Hand of Gork on Infonjawz units ? It's only GS Gitz units that can be selected...

So I have been toying with idea of getting the most waagh out of the army. I realized playing for an early mega waagh with gorefist needed only spending points on extra command points as fungoids cost 90 points. They wont bring a lot of cp early game so I thought of an ironfist with medium speed but have had problem getting enough units in, I need 12 units for 3 fungoids. Sure one could go with only 2 fungoids but I rather commit to the waagh engine. So I figured why not bring a lot of pigs instead of an ironfist. Also I figured the pigs would cover the slow hammer which then could consist of only brutes. I have never felt I could count on ardboys killing stuff even when waaaghed, same goes with pigs. With 3 units of brutes most stuff will go down thou. One could easily change the footboss (whom is there for redundancy) to a warchanter or an extra unit of brutes. Or since I realised I now have 3 casters, I could bring an endless spell, perhaps a cog for setting the brutes in motion. 

Game plan is to screen/grab objectives early with the pigs and run up the brutes behind to get in good position in cover behind the pigs or retaliate when they have died. Most likely one will go first which may not be a bad thing. I'd rather build up for a serious double turn though so bringing an ironfist may not be a bad thing after all. What's your thoughts? 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)

- General

- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth

- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 

Orruk Megaboss (140)

- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

- Allies

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

- Allies

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

- Allies

3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

- Pair of Brute Choppas

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

- Pair of Brute Choppas

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

- Pair of Brute Choppas

Total: 1950 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 270 / 400

Wounds: 138

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was a reasonably competitive way to run Gordrakk in a list as I don't see him getting much love here. I realise he is pretty squishy in comparison to the cabbages with access to Ironclad and relics, but was trying to figure out a way to get him to the table.

Allegiance: Ironjawz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (580) 

General Orruk Megaboss (140)
Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Artefact : The Boss Skewer

UNITS
5 x Orruk Brutes (180) - Pair of Brute Choppas - 1 x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180) - Pair of Brute Choppas - 1 x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140) - Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140) - Pig-iron Choppas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320) - 12 x Pair of Choppas or Smashas - 8 x Choppa or Smasha & Shields

BATTALIONS
Ironfist (180)

More of a little tester in a local campaign before I try and force Gordrakk to a tournament of any kind (I realise that I have no Warchanters in there...) - If anyone has had any success with the big guy please give me your suggestions!