AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Correct. The first Maw Krusha as very good value (Insane command ability combining good hitting power and survavibility thanks to amulet of destiny). The second one doesn't bring as much so his relative value drop. But i don't think it get close to 9 extra pigs.

Good morning ladies and gents! Coming back to AoS after about 2 years off (story of my life) and I had a few questions about making a new Ironjawz list. I have a pretty good army painted and ready to go. 1 MK, 20 Brutes, 20 Ardboyz, 6 GG, 2 Chanters and a Weirdknob. Also have a Fungoid & a bunch of Bonesplitters painted if I need them. I'm just wondering what would be the most competitive list. My buddy just opened up a hobby store and he's doing an AoS Ascension League that we're all pretty excited about. These guys always destroy me so I want to do well. I also really liked the idea of having a double MK & all GG army that has been going around the competitive scene. I'm not opposed to picking some more models up to make it happen. Anyhow, to start I have a few basic questions about gameplay:

1. How are you guys using your mages? From what I'm seeing there's always a weirdknob rocking Hand of Gork. Should there be any other mages? Fungoid for the command point? Who are you buffing with bubble? Any other major role these guys should be playing?

2. How are you guys using the chanters? How are they keeping up with the 2 MK + GG list that have 2x - 3x their movement? Who are they buffing?

3. The years old debate, 2 MK's + less GG or 1 MK + more GG?

4. If 2 MK, how are you gearing the second one? From what I'm seeing the 1st will be ultra tanky with amulet and smelly un. Is the point for the second one to be super offensive? I've seen many builds rocking destroyer on the 2nd one for burst damage.

I think that pretty well covers it for now. Any help you guys can give would be instrumental.

Thank you!

@Baron_Bathory based on your models, MK, the 6 gruntas the 2 warchanter are auto include. Weirnob is probably a good addition as well (mystic shield + teleport would be very good). Not convinced that fungoid is worth it currently. Then a mix of ardboys / Brutes depending on your play style and meta.

Not sure what model you have for Bonesplitter, but I've been running Big Waaaagh! for couple of week with decent success (sample list in the Big Waaagh thread).

have fun!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, broche said:

@Baron_Bathory based on your models, MK, the 6 gruntas the 2 warchanter are auto include. Weirnob is probably a good addition as well (mystic shield + teleport would be very good). Not convinced that fungoid is worth it currently. Then a mix of ardboys / Brutes depending on your play style and meta.

Not sure what model you have for Bonesplitter, but I've been running Big Waaaagh! for couple of week with decent success (sample list in the Big Waaagh thread).

have fun!

Thanks for the reply! :D

Right now our group consists of Myself as Ironjawz, Flesh Eaters, Sylvaneth, and Fireslayers, & Deepkin. There will be more for the ascension league but I'm not sure what everyone is running. Would you play those GG's seperate or together as 6?

I'll definitely check your Big Waaagh list out, sounds awesome! Right now what I have painted is 20 Savage Orruks, 40 Savage Arrows, Savage Big Boss, Wurrgog. Probably need some more for a Big Waaagh. Honestly I like the aesthetic of Ironjawz better. I played O&G for my entire warhammer career and it's nice to finally have a smaller and more elite force.

Thanks again man!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron_Bathory said:

Would you play those GG's seperate or together as 6

I would use 2 x 3 (easier for coherency and more option to flank). But 1 x 6 would be justifiable as well.

For Bonesplitter just the Wurgog is an insane model right now with glowing tatoo. Savage orruk are worst thant Ardboys currently IMO. Arrowboys, it depend. it give you some shoot so it can be interesting but you can only use 20 and at 2 attack each they are a bit meh. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, broche said:

I would use 2 x 3 (easier for coherency and more option to flank). But 1 x 6 would be justifiable as well.

For Bonesplitter just the Wurgog is an insane model right now with glowing tatoo. Savage orruk are worst thant Ardboys currently IMO. Arrowboys, it depend. it give you some shoot so it can be interesting but you can only use 20 and at 2 attack each they are a bit meh. 

Perfect, thanks man!

Good old Wurrzag just tearing it up in multiple dimensions. XD Yeah I initially made all of those arrows to do a kunnin ruk list back when that was breaking the entire game and ruining everyone's lives. Didn't finish it on time though lol. I'll keep them in reserves in case they ever make a comeback :D Thanks for all your help! ❤️

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Looking at Honest Wargamer subfaction breakdown for Ironjawz seems most popular subfaction is Bloodtoofs. Second by a very small margin from Bloodtoofs but wide margin from Da Choopas are Ironsunz. Da Choppas seem to be hardly played. May I get a short explanation why are Ironsunz so much better with current rules than Da Choopas?

Command ability to charge units at the end of enemy charge phase does not look so much better then using warchanter violent fury on three units instead of one to a noob like me.

Thanks in advance

Edited by frenk_castle

38 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

Hi guys,

Looking at Honest Wargamer subfaction breakdown for Ironjawz seems most popular subfaction is Bloodtoofs. Second by a very small margin from Bloodtoofs but wide margin is from Da Choopas are Ironsunz. Da Choppas seem to be hardly played. May I get a short explanation why are Ironsunz so much better with current rules than Da Choopas?

Command ability to charge units at the end of enemy charge phase does not look so much better then using warchanter violent fury on three units instead of one to a noob like me.

Thanks in advance

Our strongest piece is the mawkrusha, and the ironsunz command ability makes sure the enemy can't isolate and kill the mawkrusha in combat without us having a say about it. 

10 minutes ago, Tomplex said:

Our strongest piece is the mawkrusha, and the ironsunz command ability makes sure the enemy can't isolate and kill the mawkrusha in combat without us having a say about it. 

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am very new to Orruks. I will play my first game with them tommorow. I do not have all the models hence my thinking was limited to the ones I have. If I was to play a 1000 points game using Megaboss, 2 Warchanters, 3 units of Brutes and one unit on Goregruntas would Ironsunz be better than Da Choopas?

Thanks in advance

Edited by frenk_castle

46 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am very new to Orruks. I will play my first game with them tommorow. I do not have all the models hence my thinking was limited to the ones I have. If I was to play a 1000 points game using Megaboss, 2 Warchanters, 3 units of Brutes and one unit on Goregruntas would Ironsunz be better than Da Choopas?

Thanks in advance

I think the choppas is good for that list at scale. Assuming the megaboss is on foot

So, I've been idly looking at Ironjawz to supplement my Kruleboyz in path to glory, but something's been driving me crazy every time I look at the models. Does anyone have a good tutorial for giving Brutes some Greenstuff Chainmail or even just a decent looking Gambison? I really can't get over how silly it is for the brutes to leave their backs exposed when the 'Aardboyz have proppa chainmail on to cover themselves. What, are the ironjawz in the big waagh not expecting to get stabbed in the back? 😛

6 hours ago, frenk_castle said:

Megaboss is on foot. I can not fit Mawcrusha and all the other units in 1000 points. Thanks a lot. I will definitely try Ironsunz as well.

Do many people have good suggestions how to run them at 1000? 

Local shop is going to run some 1000 point comps and I’m yet to actually play 3.0. 

Hi guys! Love the site, first time posting.

Quick question; 

BRB FAQ says thatsome abilities stipulate that you can pick a certain number of units to be affected by the ability, and that the same unit can be the recipient each time unless the ability places additional restrictions on the number of uses. 

Skull Shaking Bellow allows Megaboss on Mawcrusher to issue the same command to three units. Doesn't say different units must be chosen. 

Can the Megaboss issue Mighty Destroyers to himself three times? Equally can the Megaboss issue unleash hell to himself or a separate unit three times?

Thanks in advance 😁

36 minutes ago, Discombobulation said:

Okay, cool.

Any idea what abilities the FAQ was referring to? Probably worth knowing. 

Thanks

a bunch of the core commands need a trigger to be used. For example all out attack can be used when a unit is chosen to fight or shoot. The FAQ makes it so the megaboss can issue command like that to multiple units, because without it there would only be one unit eligible (the one chosen to fight). All out defense is worded a similar way (use it when a unit is the target of an attack)

Kind of, but not quite what I was getting at. The Megaboss warscroll ability allows the same command to be issued to several units. The FAQ says that baring any other restrictions a single unit can receive the multiple commands. 

I've always played it the way your describing and will continue to, just I don't think it's as clear cut.

Thanks for the replies though, appreciate you guys coming back to me on this spurious topic 😄

6 minutes ago, Discombobulation said:

Kind of, but not quite what I was getting at. The Megaboss warscroll ability allows the same command to be issued to several units. The FAQ says that baring any other restrictions a single unit can receive the multiple commands. 

I've always played it the way your describing and will continue to, just I don't think it's as clear cut.

Thanks for the replies though, appreciate you guys coming back to me on this spurious topic 😄

Read the FAQ and your post a little more clearly. In that section the FAQ is referring to Abilities, not commands.

FAQ:

Q: Some abilities stipulate that you can pick a certain number of units to be affected by the ability. When this is the case, can I pick the same unit several times? A: Yes, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

Megaboss ability:

‘This unit can issue the same command up to 3 times in the same phase. If it does so, each command must be received by a friendly Ironjawz unit. No command point is spent the second and third times this unit issues that command in that phase.’

Since the megaboss is using commands its still subject to each unit only being able to receive one.

Not sure what the faq was referring to specifically, but a theoretical would be:

Ability: At the start of your hero phase pick 2 friendly <keyword> units wholly within 12", add 1 to the attacks characteristic of their melee profiles until your next hero phase.

Most of the examples I can think of tend to say pick <X> different friendly units though.

Hello Mega bosses. So I havent played with any of the new IJ models yet, been playing some spliterz. I have some noob 3rd ed questions for my Big Waagh list that uses IJ units. I've always liked a more foot, slogging, not alpha striking list. It may not be optimal because it doesn't have a Mawkrusha but I think it would be fun to play. 

If you could help me answer a few IJ noob questions I'd really appreciate it! 

• Can any IJ Champion use the Mighty Destroyers CA or does it have to be a leader? 
  • Can I teleport a unit of Goregruntas with Hand of Gork, put them 12 inches out of an enemy and then us Mighty Destroyers to move them 9 inches up to 3 inches away? 
  • Can the Megaboss take the Touched by Waagh Command Trait if he is given the Arcane Tome?

This list is more defensive. Tries to control the mid board with 35 Orruks. Wurgog and Breaka-Boss act as counter punches. Breaka-boss can get teleported and use mount trait to try and assassinate small units/heroes. If you get up to +1 hit and wound he does some serious work and can punch above his weight. Megaboss brings a ton of utility by being a good spellcaster who can teleport or cast mystic shield on Ardboyz/Brutes. Goregruntas play role of early objective getters or line breakers with double MD from Megaboss.  I'm waiting for FAQ to drop so I left some points on the table until I see the point increases for Pigs.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
LEADERS
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Touched by the Waaagh!
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
UNITS
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (255)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (150)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (150)
TOTAL: 1895/2000 WOUNDS: 158

Thanks for considering this further.

So, somewhere out there are some abilities that can triggered without a command being issued, and that when they are triggered they can affect multiple units or a single unit multiple times depending on player preference.

I would dearly love to know what those abilities are and what crazy power combo shenanigans they create 😅

12 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:
  • Can any IJ Champion use the Mighty Destroyers CA or does it have to be a leader? 
  • Can I teleport a unit of Goregruntas with Hand of Gork, put them 12 inches out of an enemy and then us Mighty Destroyers to move them 9 inches up to 3 inches away? 
  • Can the Megaboss take the Touched by Waagh Command Trait if he is given the Arcane Tome?

- Any model that can issue command abilities.

- Yes

- Yes

Edited by Chase
  • Like 1

I would like to bring you a topic that I have been thinking about for a while: one drop or not? Do the Ironjawz really need it?
My answer is no, due to the amount of wounds that can be deployed on an average list.
Tell me yours and I will argue mine.

Edited by Holy_Diver

i would agree that they dont need it but it is very nice to have.

I have been running a 1 drop list with:

1 MBoMK
2 Chanters
4x6 Pigs
1 Snarlfang

That army will wreck a lot of lists turn 1 if they cant double screen and/or get buffs off. So no. it is not a must for IJ but it sure is nice to have ;)

• Thanks 1