AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

32 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

This is assuming that someone has one big screen rather than a layer of smaller units.  For example, a couple cheap units such as skinks or greenskin orcs.

But again, I think people will move towards tactics to mitigate the issue of getting punched in the face on the first turn.

It also assumes that we can't punch a hole in it with destructive bulk.

When you add +4 to a charge (or +6 for ardboys) suddenly the ability to get through a tiny hole created by those kills is increased drastically. Not to mention that if you charge correctly you can force your enemy to open a hole or let you get a second charge.

There's also the fact you don't even need to blow your load in one go which is vicious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malakree said:

When you add +4 to a charge (or +6 for ardboys) suddenly the ability to get through a tiny hole created by those kills is increased drastically. Not to mention that if you charge correctly you can force your enemy to open a hole or let you get a second charge.

There's also the fact you don't even need to blow your load in one go which is vicious.

I'm not saying that there is not going to be potential for counter-play.  My point is that I think people will adapt to the concept of first-turn alpha strikes as a number of forces can now do this to various degrees.  If that happens then it won't be a guaranteed thing to necessarily be able to cripple someone with that tactic.  And of course it will depend upon what army they are playing as some will probably be able to better handle this than others.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing and everyone should forget about it.  I'm just saying people will probably adapt and it won't be nearly as strong in many cases.

Edited by Skabnoze

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I'm not saying that there is not going to be potential for counter-play.  My point is that I think people will adapt to the concept of first-turn alpha strikes as a number of forces can now do this to various degrees.  If that happens then it won't be a guaranteed thing to necessarily be able to cripple someone with that tactic.  And of course it will depend upon what army they are playing as some will probably be able to better handle this than others.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing and everyone should forget about it.  I'm just saying people will probably adapt and it won't be nearly as strong in many cases.

Which is why I said they will have to both screen and give up board position. They can't just throw a bunch of marauders out front, push stuff up behind it and then take the centre of the board as we can crack holes in it quite easily then flood through and maul the army. An example of that is the dude I played who screened with a wall of nighthaunt ghosts, I wiped them out with only the attacks of my MK and then the brutes got through onto his VLoZD. Or the 3 GG's killing off 31 skeles creating a massive hole in his ability to screen the rest of the army/objective.

The pure power which comes out of our Blitzkrieg now is enormous and when combined with the extra charge range we need only the tiniest of gaps to break through onto the key units.

This is why I think we are T1, because the threat of what we can do forces our opponent to play in a way which lets us claim then control objectives. Realistically our opponent needs to build a screen 2 units deep and then keep his entire army behind it which, combined with the various battleplans, basically hands us the objectives. More over the longer someone waits the more times we can alphastrike. When you add in that with a 1drop battalion we can easily force them to go first we can then fish for a double turn. 

I'm not saying we are the best army out there, I am saying we are absolutely competitive with them. If someone doesn't build their list and then play directly to stop us we will roll them with no issues, even if they do it's still an even game.

EDIT: 

2 hours ago, tchad78 said:

You stole my CP! I've rolled 0 extra in 2 games.

Your donation to the better Megaboss was appreciated!

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Malakree said:

Aetherquartz Broach. Whenever you spend a CP you get it back on a 5+

So I had 4 and kept using the Waaagh! till I had 1 left. End result was 8 Waaagh!

You stole my CP! I've rolled 0 extra in 2 games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My comments were mainly in regards to turn-1 alpha strikes.  The idea of smashing someone in their deployment zone before they can even take a turn and crippling them.  I don't think that deploying to mitigate that gives up board position.  Subsequent turns is a whole different thing.

But, in regards to screening in later turns - armies that can quickly & easily summon cheap chaff units are going to probably be one of the tougher fights for Ironjawz.  There are a few armies, such as Seraphon, who can easily conjure cheap chaff out of thin air and use them to continually eat charges and create fights that are favorable to them.  I'm not saying that we cannot out-fight them, I am simply saying that they will probably be the toughest in the hands of a good opponent because Ironjawz do not really have a way to deal with things other than to punch them in the face.  In that situation it plays right into the opponents hands because they are continually summoning disposable stuff into your face to keep you busy and away from the important things.  

We will probably have to develop good tactics to deal with this situation. 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

I like that @Malakree, doing damage outside of the combat phase can be huge, and this is a perfect example.

Do you reckon you could do a diagramm (or if not maybe just talk through) how you are forcing the holes where you want them?

In my simple mind, the opponent is always removing his Destructive Bulk casualties so as to leave an obstacle in front of your not-Maw Krusha.

How many units are you actually getting into charge range Turn 1?

Yeah I think we're talking more in the context of a Bloodtoofs here.  The Gorefist is also of great interest - but the Bloodtoofs is a one-drop which is pretty big.

On average you'll get 1x Hero Phase move (which Cogs would also boost, since it's not phase-specific?), plus the Batallion move on your Battleline.

Thinking about the Arboyz for example - and assuming you don't get a 4+ / 6+ IJ move on them (because you give it to your Krusha / Pigstar).  On average you have a 3.5" Batallion move + 6" move (with Cogs) is 9.5" forward.  They are +6" on the charge but the harder part is getting them into 12" to be able to attempt it.  The 9.5" gets you just past the centre of the board in most missions.  So if your opponent sets up just a few inches back, you are either relying on getting a big Batallion move, or using your (likely) only Hero Phase move on them.

Brutes you can basically forget about now that the Realmgate has been nerfed?  Unless you use your 1 Hero Phase move on them, which could be worthy of consideration?

You could of course run MSU and then give yourself a few chances of getting a good Batallion move on 1 of the units.

Basically in my head I keep coming back to multiples of the GGs, but there are a few moving parts here so I am keen to pick the brain of @Malakree because he's seen this in action.  I love the idea of being able to burst through a small gap at +6" to the charge with the Drummer, just wondering how you engineer that in practice without giving up your IJ move - or maybe you do use it on them?

I do put moves on them @PlasticCraic When your cabbage is going 14" and the pigs 11" before Ironfist with +4" on their charge you really don't need more movement on them.

As to the charging, Imagine your opponent has a line of 10 skinks, you destructive bulk at the end of the line so that you have 3/4 in 3" you inflict 4 casualties. Unless he wants to eat another destructive bulk he has to leave 1 model in range of the Cabbage, this means that somewhere down the 10 skink line there is now a 1 skink hole.

A low end charge roll for Ardboys would be a 4, which keeping a command point back to reroll almost guarantees that or better. So that's 10" you then have your ardboys charge through the 1 skink hole onto whatever is behind it and leave 1 or 2 trailing through his skink line. This pins the unit since he can't retreat and make coherency but it also gets your ardboys into whatevers behind. It gets harder if he has a larger unit or double lines them, but doing that increases his investment and reduces his screen width.

With a WC buff you're comfortably looking at 6 attacks per Ardboy on 3+/3+/-1/1, that blenders a lot of things.

If you roll a 10 on your charge, as I did in one game, you suddenly have 16" of movement to play with which might even let you just run round the screen.

It essentially boils down to having the smallest point of contact available for your cabbage forcing your opponent to play around it. Now obviously there are ways to stop it but every-time they do that you are further reducing the amount of board presence that they can achieve because they need more and more screening.

At some points it becomes better to just let your opponent go first and either mess up his screen or waste his first turn. The threat of it can be as powerful as pulling it off. Getting the Cogs off is mandatory though, without them you can't pull it off so Seraphon with their global unbind are a huge threat. That said if you can get an Arcane terrain piece you are looking at +3 on a weirdnob or +1 with a RR on a fungoid. Also depends on deployment zones etc.

• Thanks 1

That's an excellent summary @Malakree, much appreciated.  I guess Khorne with their auto unbind artefact are another one to watch out for.  Do Seraphon need LOS for their auto unbind?

The threat of On Da Rampage was the piece I was missing, it makes a lot more sense when you throw that into the equation.

Also - since we're in Hysh, and with 2 Batallions we have artefacts for days - the Luminary Rod could be worthy of consideration?  It could further help with creating holes, especially if there are two thin lines?

43 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I do put moves on them @PlasticCraic When your cabbage is going 14" and the pigs 11" before Ironfist with +4" on their charge you really don't need more movement on them.

As to the charging, Imagine your opponent has a line of 10 skinks, you destructive bulk at the end of the line so that you have 3/4 in 3" you inflict 4 casualties. Unless he wants to eat another destructive bulk he has to leave 1 model in range of the Cabbage, this means that somewhere down the 10 skink line there is now a 1 skink hole.

A low end charge roll for Ardboys would be a 4, which keeping a command point back to reroll almost guarantees that or better. So that's 10" you then have your ardboys charge through the 1 skink hole onto whatever is behind it and leave 1 or 2 trailing through his skink line. This pins the unit since he can't retreat and make coherency but it also gets your ardboys into whatevers behind. It gets harder if he has a larger unit or double lines them, but doing that increases his investment and reduces his screen width.

With a WC buff you're comfortably looking at 6 attacks per Ardboy on 3+/3+/-1/1, that blenders a lot of things.

If you roll a 10 on your charge, as I did in one game, you suddenly have 16" of movement to play with which might even let you just run round the screen.

It essentially boils down to having the smallest point of contact available for your cabbage forcing your opponent to play around it. Now obviously there are ways to stop it but every-time they do that you are further reducing the amount of board presence that they can achieve because they need more and more screening.

At some points it becomes better to just let your opponent go first and either mess up his screen or waste his first turn. The threat of it can be as powerful as pulling it off. Getting the Cogs off is mandatory though, without them you can't pull it off so Seraphon with their global unbind are a huge threat. That said if you can get an Arcane terrain piece you are looking at +3 on a weirdnob or +1 with a RR on a fungoid. Also depends on deployment zones etc.

What sort of list are you running? All of my Bloodtoofs come down to 3 units of 5 Brutes and 2 units of 3 Gore-Gruntas with various leaders. Notably MGMK, 1-2 Warchanter, either 1 Weirdknob or 1 Fungus Shaman and a Megaboss on Foot (or not). Plus mostly just cogs but sometimes cogs and Balewind Vortex. 

That said: even though everyone earlier on this thread was essentially saying Ardboys are dead, and have lost their purpose, just playing casually in my anecdotal experience I’ve found them to be useful and fun.

They’re just plain old tough and I like to run a mix of 2 handed weapons and dual-wielding no shields, but pure dual-wielding a unit of 10 no buffs spits out 30 attacks each and it only goes up from there baby. They put a hurt on just about anything through sheer numbers and once you start buffing them it gets worse. 

And I know it’s dumb but I just love how Footboss looks and I find his brute re-roll aura to be heroic in its own right. 

So for me personally, my all stars have been MGMK, Footboss, Brutes and Ardboys. I always bring a Weirdknob and he never does anything all game if I’m not using endless spells. Sometimes my GG get shot off the table before they can act too. 

• Like 1

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 7x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 13x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
Bloodtoofs (120)
Ironfist (180)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

I would run something close to this.

Edited by Malakree
Herp derp ironsunz and ironfist be two different battalions!
  • Like 3

@Malakree Thanks for the list!

I'm thinking about a bloodtoofs list, too. But somehow I can't really mix it all together as I want it to.

So regarding your list, there are two points giving me a 'think-about': 

• You stated all you want to do is multi-waaagh-rumble your opponent with the aetherquartz brooch and wreak havoc. While I really appreciate this humble plan, I think relying on only one waaagh source could be risky-frisky, especially if you want to run prophet of the waaagh instead of the ironclad on your MBMK for rerolling the dice. I really want to take a Megaboss on Foot, as I think he provides a plan B in our list if our cabbage falls  and he is (in my opinion) heavily underrated, as he really dishes out damage in close combat, even without artefacts. 

• Why two weirdnobs? I'cant wrap my head around those freaks without running a 30 orruk ardboy blob. Is your plan to let one weirdnob stay on the cogs to manipulate them after casting them first turn? (as the effect gets lost if there is no wizard in 3" at the start of the hero phase) I think in a bloodtoofs list it's all about the cogs, and for that I'm thinking about getting a cave-shaman with his shrooms , bodyguarding those cogs after that and dispelling stuff from afar.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on those points @Malakree, thanks in advance!

So this would be my list without Hysh (the Hysh Variant would be with Aetherquartz on MBMK and Lens on MB) as I think i've never used more then 2-3 Waaaghs a turn. With the Miasmatic Blade, the MBMK gets a good defensive boost and the sword of judgement on a megaboss is awesome. I will try out Hysh and Ulgu (and a Ghur variant with the gryph feather charm and maybe rockjaws).

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 5x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 5x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 117

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DerZauberer said:

So this would be my list without Hysh (the Hysh Variant would be with Aetherquartz on MBMK and Lens on MB) as I think i've never used more then 2-3 Waaaghs a turn. With the Miasmatic Blade, the MBMK gets a good defensive boost and the sword of judgement on a megaboss is awesome. I will try out Hysh and Ulgu (and a Ghur variant with the gryph feather charm and maybe rockjaws).

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 5x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 5x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 117

That looks exactly like my list, except I was running 3 sets of brutes over Ardboys. Strongly considering subbing them out and grabbing either Quicksilver Swords against non-caster armies or the Malevolent Maelstrom to help shut down guys who like to cast too much. 

I have rolled doubles with my weirdnob shaman so many times...I really wish it was 1 mortal wound, rather than d3.   Super fun when you fail your unbinding with a double!   I am starting to hate running him.  I know he has the huge casting and unbinding bonuses, but having to keep troops near him or him near the fight can sometimes be a problem as well.   When I look at the cost for our shaman, I end up adding the cost of the units that stand next to him.  So he isn't 120, he is 120+160(20 greenskin orruks) or 120+320(20 Ardboys) or whatever.  

• I do want to run Ironskull's boys next to the shaman to try to bounce off the mortal wounds. (haven't run them yet)
  • I also want to try a footboss or a cabbage with Mirrored Cuirass.   So there would be a chance to bounce the mortals off and into the enemy if they were close...lol.
  • Or just Ignax Scales to more reliably bounce it off...But this all seems to risky and silly,  just to avoid the damage from the shaman.

I love the fungoid cave shaman and will soon try a Wurrgog Prophet (He gets a bonus when he rolls doubles to cast Fists of Gork! and Casts and unbinds 2 spells!)

Not getting the rolls for rampaging destroyer's when running allied heroes always sits at the back of my mind as a problem though.

4 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

@Malakree Thanks for the list!

• Why two weirdnobs? I'cant wrap my head around those freaks without running a 30 orruk ardboy blob. Is your plan to let one weirdnob stay on the cogs to manipulate them after casting them first turn? (as the effect gets lost if there is no wizard in 3" at the start of the hero phase) I think in a bloodtoofs list it's all about the cogs, and for that I'm thinking about getting a cave-shaman with his shrooms , bodyguarding those cogs after that and dispelling stuff from afar.

I like the 2 weirnob, he's a good wizard (2 uniques spell), and give you good dispelling power. if he stay close to the 10 ardboys and 10 brutes your good early. 

I guess he cast Cog early and shield the MK, then move them along with the trop and use Bolt/foot/puke

So the 2 weirdnob is because he is a powerhouse caster so competes at that level. As an example i faced a nagash list last weekend and was on an even footing with his +3.

I might not have been able to stop all his spells but I could pick key ones to try and unbind. Also it doesn't stop us being a 1 drop which is a huge boon.

Additionally it becomes easier to brute force through any unbinds the opponent might have, which given how key the cogs are is important.

I'd run 2 for several reasons.

1) unbinding key endless spells like the shackles.

2) if one dies you aren't screwed.

3) 2 unbinds instead of 1 is a much bigger deal than people realise.

4) FOOT OF GORK!!!! (I might have a problem...)

Essentially we are both reliant on the spells for mortals/cogs and vulnerable to the mortals from spells. The combination of the two makes having 2 weirdnobs very powerful for us in a way the fungoid/wurrgog aren't.

Not to mention the extra chance at an ironjawz move.

Edited by Malakree
Think of all the top tier wizards which see play at the moment. How many of them don't have at least +2 To cast?
  • Like 2

working on something different, no bataillion and bunch of endless spell. Instead of rushing foward, it would play more like convervative round 1: Try to hit something with geminid, and either cast shield on MK or palissade to create a shadow agains shooting, and grab an objective or 2. Round 2 if you loose the roll then you have 2 debuff with geminid.  From R2.2 and R3.1 you can start playing more aggressively.

Another opening, (if you hit Migthy destroyer) would bo to cast the Cog round 1, and try to pin stuff with Gruntas while the rest of your army take control of the board, then round 2 use the cog for double cast on a weirnob so you have 3 cast.

(PS: not saying it's better than current popular list, just trying to evaluate different option)

- General
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

As an example i faced a nagash list last weekend and was on an even footing with his +3.

So you had your whole force within 10" of your Weirdnob the whole time? There is 31 Orruk Heads in your force. 

4) FOOT OF GORK!!!! (I might have a problem...)

I literally hate that spell. In 20+ games I literally never got it off. Maybe that's why I dislike them ...

Also it doesn't stop us being a 1 drop which is a huge boon.

Is there any other popular one drop besides Dreadwood Sylvaneth and other Ironjawz? (both melee focused forces) Could imagine that 2-drop is still enough to decide on first turn in most cases. Or let's say, in my games till now it always was enough. 

I just think magic is a arms race which ironjawz can't compete anyway - or let's say have to invest a lot. Essentially if you really want to compete with magic armies - like you've said with nagash - your board presence is an 10" bubble with 1" weapon range.  And then you're still on even footing, so you still get dispelled. All other circumstances are not in your favor.

On the other hand, I really appreciate the Weirdfist or a list really build around the Weirdfist, where a 30 Ardboy blob is mandatory for I think, so you don't have to give up board position.  Then spread your threats on fast flankers and you could have a competitive army I think.

Somebody had run a weirdfist yet?

• Like 1

@DerZauberer I think ironjawz have all the tools to compete well in magic. +2 to cast / dispel for 120 pts is pretty rare (Nagash get +3 and cost 800 pts)

I aggree with you tough that @Malakree list have low body count, but as long as you have 2 x 10 ardboyz i think your good to ensure your +2 until mid game.

Foot is high risk, but it 7 mortal average when it goes off. Sad to hear you were never able to shoot a big one, but don't give up your luck will turn some day  ;) 

I don't think i would play Ardboys by 30 in new edition, 10 pts is really to small discount for the potential lost of board coverage.

1 hour ago, DerZauberer said:

So you had your whole force within 10" of your Weirdnob the whole time? There is 31 Orruk Heads in your force. 

Not the whole time, but it only needs to be 1/2 turns. At the end of turn 2 he only had Nagash left and I got priority turn 3.

You don't need to shut them down for the entire game, you just need to stop the -1 to hit, half movement etc. on turn 1.

I literally hate that spell. In 20+ games I literally never got it off. Maybe that's why I dislike them ...

Look at it this way, you are as likely to get foot of gork off with a weirdnob on arcane as you are to get cogs off from a Wurrgog without arcane. 

Is there any other popular one drop besides Dreadwood Sylvaneth and other Ironjawz? (both melee focused forces) Could imagine that 2-drop is still enough to decide on first turn in most cases. Or let's say, in my games till now it always was enough. 

I think the ability to decide first turn or not is crucial for Ironjawz. If you are against something like nagash you can force turn 1 onto them leaving him out of range to cast spells in his first turn, especially since you can only target through the Spell Portal once per phase.

I just think magic is a arms race which ironjawz can't compete anyway - or let's say have to invest a lot. Essentially if you really want to compete with magic armies - like you've said with nagash - your board presence is an 10" bubble with 1" weapon range.  And then you're still on even footing, so you still get dispelled. All other circumstances are not in your favor.

You don't need to win the magical arms race, you need to not be crippled by it before your explosion turn. Those are two very different things. After you've had that turn it's way to late for their magic to swing the game. Who cares what Nagash does if he's the only piece left on the board by the start of Turn 3.

240 points is nothing to invest in ensuring you get the cogs off and ensuring you can remove the shackles before your movement phase.

• Like 5