Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

15 minutes ago, Roark said:

What are the competitive lists using for damage-dealers if not Paladins?? Just Stardrakes, or Dracothian Guard?

Aetherstrike :P

Try using a Hammerstrike with 10 Rets/5 Protectors and Vandus + Lord Celestant (with Consummate Commander). Bring any priest to use Divine Light and reroll 1s for maximum insanity.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't decide if I wanted to run Aetherstrike or a Stardrake. So... 

LCoStardrake - Mirrorshield, Staunch Defenders, Keen Clawed

Knight Venator

Knight Azyros - Lantern of the Tempest

Judicators 

Judicators 

Liberators 

Aetherwings

Aetherwings

Longstrikes x6

Hurricanes 

Aetherstrike 

I dunno if 6 Longstrikes is enough to justify running it, but it's still a pretty threatening shooting force and a Dragon. Do you think it's worth running? 

4 hours ago, Roark said:

I love Paladins, and use Retributors in the same way with a Lord Celestante. They're devastating in that combination. I don't even use Starsoul Maces.

I'm the same with Protectors, just shanking dudes at 3" and protecting the central characters until I'm ready to chariot them at a monster.

What are the competitive lists using for damage-dealers if not Paladins?? Just Stardrakes, or Dracothian Guard?

I think they are, and always have been, a competitive option. Would love to hear what the top players are apparently doing instead...

Fulminators appear to be the biggest one ( they are in pretty much every high placing SC list). Huge damage, and much, much more durable and mobile than a unit of Paladins.

10 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Fulminators appear to be the biggest one ( they are in pretty much every high placing SC list). Huge damage, and much, much more durable and mobile than a unit of Paladins.

Yeah, the problem with paladins isn't the damage output, it's the fact that they're slow and die to harsh language.

I tend to run mine up the field once with a Staunch Defender Celestant and Castellant (2+ save) and then just chariot them near what I want to destroy. Their 30 wounds (usually at 2+) has never been a problem for me in terms of fragility.

1 hour ago, Roark said:

I tend to run mine up the field once with a Staunch Defender Celestant and Castellant (2+ save) and then just chariot them near what I want to destroy. Their 30 wounds (usually at 2+) has never been a problem for me in terms of fragility.

There's a lot of failable die rolls and things out pacing each other going in in there. Also, If you're running celestant with staunch defender for the +to hit and not inspiring presence the blob has 18ish wounds before it wipes itself out to battleshock.

Paladins always needed a delivery system. You had hammerstrike, celestial vindicators and (further back) the old knight-vexillor in combat deployment.

Delivering paladins within 9" as we can so easily do is one thing but they're just going to always fluff their charges when it counts (just like my Venator always fluffs his star fated arrow).

2 things I find interesting with paladins:

1. SCE (I may be wrong here as I've not an encyclopedic knowledge of all other unit scrolls) are one of if not the only army without the traditional 'command' models.

Just primes. No banner (helps against battleshock often) no musician (helps with runs and charging). The armies taking big units of elite troops really make the most of their banner and musicians (usually with some kind of 'being near a hero of your faction equates to battleshock immunity').

2. Paladins are glass cannons and it makes no sense now.

Previously it would have been ridiculous for them to have tough dfefensive stats but with battalions costing so much it feels like now Paladins should be the hulking armoured units they are meant to be. I mean, paladins have the exact same save as vanguard hunters (wearing 'light armour') or judicators (archers).

I feel like a kind of SCE terminator status is appropriate. Dare I suggests a ward save (5+)?! Okay 6+... no? I'm envisioning other faction players reading this and sputtering. Surely an armour save of 2+ or at the very least 3+ makes sense?

I just find it weird that shielded libs are tougher.

Anyway, that's where I stand. Unless something changes with the paladin warscroll you'll not see them in any big competitive lists as the core of a list.

Lists built around an extra large unit of paladins might become something you would see in the better competitive games if they had the option of a banner and musician, and/or better defense.

They don't need any boost to attack. Everyone knows how well they do that. They just don't get a chance unless the stars align or you pay for an extra 5 paladins you don't get (hammerstrike).

38 minutes ago, Borjemann said:

Anyone know if he played with double warhammers or warhammer & shield?

Given the presence of Castellan and Staunch defender SD, i place a huuuge bet on the shields.

Edit : Not that sure after all, given that WarHammerssss is written

Hey Guys, didnt played till gh 2016 and bought the new gh 2017. what is the meta for sc now? Really like the idea of 30 vulkites in sc list is it worth it? 

Thought about something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- Handaxes & Slingshields
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
2 x Fulminators (240)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1910 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Dont know what to do withe the last 90 points, maybe change LCoD to Vandus.

14 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Really like the idea of 30 vulkites in sc list is it worth it? 

I won't lie I'm only aware of myself building this as a list at the moment and I've yet to try it in a tournament. It's not particularly flashy! It's also not inspired list building. It's a simple, complementary allied unit.

I did win a test game against a great Fyreslayers player who just placed 4th in a large Swedish tourney but the scenario favoured me (strongly) and, well, practise games are just that. Practise.

11 hours ago, Roark said:

Though they have 2/3 wounds for a similar number of points, the same combination makes D Guard 1+, reroll 1s (0+ in the shooting phase for Fulminators). And they walk at 250% the speed of Paladins. All 4 varieties can dish out mortal wounds in the shooting phase. And a single Fulminator can potentially outdamage 10 Protectors by himself. The former can deal 6 mortal wounds in the shooting phase, and up to 27 in close combat, unless fighting monsters 10 Protectors deal out a maximum of 31 wounds. Of course you actually get 4 Fulminators for those 10 Protectors.

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Though they have 2/3 wounds for a similar number of points, the same combination makes D Guard 1+, reroll 1s (0+ in the shooting phase for Fulminators). And they walk at 250% the speed of Paladins. All 4 varieties can dish out mortal wounds in the shooting phase. And a single Fulminator can potentially outdamage 10 Protectors by himself. The former can deal 6 mortal wounds in the shooting phase, and up to 27 in close combat, unless fighting monsters 10 Protectors deal out a maximum of 31 wounds. Of course you actually get 4 Fulminators for those 10 Protectors.

4 Fulminators are 440 points, 10 protectors are 400. Also 4 Fulmis have 20 wounds compared to 30 wounds of the Protectors. And no 1 fulminator cant dish out the same damage as Protectors. You have to be verry lucky to dish out 6 damage in the shooting phase with one fulminator! Fulminators do a little bit more dmg mathwise. (Not much more) Also protectors are alot better against monsters and give all units behind them +1 save. Both units are great and think they are too diffrent to compare them. Protectors are there to protect? And kill monsters.

3 hours ago, Thebiggesthat said:

I like Seraphon, 40 Skinks are great objective grabbers, and you can whack in a Starpriest for Mystic Shield and Starlight support.

Exactly what I’ve just written. Don’t get me wrong , vulkites are cool and resilient. But I fee you get a lot more from a star priest and 40 skinks along with less points!

Archived