Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

1 hour ago, chord said:

Knight Venator.  Highly Mobile, elevated so easy to see over objectives.  

Do you really value the KV? It's one of the first "buy for coolness" units I dropped from my army.

Outside of the turn of awesomeness (if it doesn't miss, not wound, get saved or roll poorly for damage) it shoots worse than a unit of Javelin Prosecutors.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DanielFM said:

Do you really value the KV? It's one of the first "buy for coolness" units I dropped from my army.

Outside of the turn of awesomeness (if it doesn't miss, not wound, get saved or roll poorly for damage) it shoots worse than a unit of Javelin Prosecutors.

I do value it a lot.   30" shooting range plus its high move value means almost nothing is safe from it.  It flys so terrain is never an issue and we play with LOS so seeing over units is important.    The bow hits on 2+ wounds on 3+ and with a -1 rend is great for 3 attacks.  The eagle has no rend unless it gets a 6+ then it has -3.  And that eagle bonus also works in melee (which you should avoid with him).

A unit of prosecutors is 3 ranged attack at a shorter distance (2 of which have no rend) and they have a worse save.

Sure the star fated arrow rarely goes off on its own, but the luckstone helps or a loremaster.  

I have to say I really rate the Venator. His range and the star fated arrow can easily scare you opponent into deploying badly. He might not do that much damage (I've always been lucky with the SFA) but the perceived threat can do more damage. I do wonder if with look out sir he might suffer a bit though.

I think examining the Venator just for the star fated arrow can be a trap.  I tend to not consider that when bringing him.  For me its threat range plus 6 shooting attacks.   

I agree look out sir will really hurt him the most. 

6 hours ago, Kugane said:

Personally I find that we are mostly playing at 2000 points, and with 1 box of Soul Wars there is no way we are reaching 2k points anyways. I believe these boxes were designed to buy in multiples and split and are then supplemented with easy to build kits. Also, I see no reason why anyone cannot just kitbash/convert some models to fit their needs.

They always Are nothing is meant to be a 2000 point army off 80 bucks if you split. Also for death who wants just 1 20 man chain rasp horde? Both sides to have a big army need 2 or 3 

1 hour ago, chord said:

A unit of prosecutors is 3 ranged attack at a shorter distance (2 of which have no rend) and they have a worse save.

Nope, it's 4 attacks. Remember the prime shoots twice. 2 of them rend -1, two rend 0. And all of them damage 2 if shot from 9 away.

I will run the numbers and see how they fare against each other.

1 minute ago, DanielFM said:

Nope, it's 4 attacks. Remember the prime shoots twice. 2 of them rend -1, two rend 0. And all of them damage 2 if shot from 9 away.

I will run the numbers and see how they fare against each other.

Ah good point I forgot about that.  

38 minutes ago, chord said:

Ah good point I forgot about that.  

I was right. Knight Venator does on average 1,86 wounds to a 4+ save unit, while Javelin Prosecutors do 2,06.

For 100 points, the only thing they lose is range. They aren't even all that less armoured, as they reroll ones.

I'm not really sold on the Venator. Outside SFA, he is incredibly underwhelming.

29 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

I was right. Knight Venator does on average 1,86 wounds to a 4+ save unit, while Javelin Prosecutors do 2,06.

For 100 points, the only thing they lose is range. They aren't even all that less armoured, as they reroll ones.

I'm not really sold on the Venator. Outside SFA, he is incredibly underwhelming.

are those from outside 9"?

Has anyone been toying around with lists given the new points we've seen?  I am having a hard time leaving any points for spells or command points, let alone battalions.  I can  never seem to fit enough bodies and now possibly having to cover not only objectives but grave sites and gnarl maws to block summoning I think we will be stretched even thinner.  Any suggestions for this conundrum besides allies of 40 skinks, lol.

37 minutes ago, Mikosan said:

Has anyone been toying around with lists given the new points we've seen?  I am having a hard time leaving any points for spells or command points, let alone battalions.  I can  never seem to fit enough bodies and now possibly having to cover not only objectives but grave sites and gnarl maws to block summoning I think we will be stretched even thinner.  Any suggestions for this conundrum besides allies of 40 skinks, lol.

I'm really leaning toward MSU.  The Ballista at 100 points makes it possible attractive as an objective sitter, likewise Castigators at 80.  I'm not doing any list building until I see the warscrolls for the remaining models though.  

4 hours ago, DanielFM said:

I don't understand. You are asking me the same I did. I calculated outside 9 (with damage two). Within 9, Prosecutors would do exactly half that wounds

OK, my bad I misunderstood

That's a damned shame because i really wanted to add 2 Venators in my list to supplement my hybrid vanguard list.

I thought 2 Venators would be able to provide long range fire support (6 shots each).

Your calculation was done with units of 3 Prosecutors?

More importantly - Is there a place for Venators?

41 minutes ago, Synidus said:

That's a damned shame because i really wanted to add 2 Venators in my list to supplement my hybrid vanguard list.

I thought 2 Venators would be able to provide long range fire support (6 shots each).

Yeah, three Prosecutors with Prime and trident. Default configuration.

I think you would be better with a pair of Celestar Ballista, IMHO

7 hours ago, Synidus said:

Well a 42" range for senators is massively bigger than the 30" for Prosecutors.  I run prosecutors on occasion, but I do think Venators will have a place in some lists in 2.0, especially when run in conjunction with a Ballista and other shooting units.  

8 hours ago, Synidus said:

The venator still have a better threat range, and because of that, better mobility. Prosecutors need to be 18" from the ennemy to be able to participate in the fight.

The prosecutor can stay far away, shoot while being where he want (for example, in cover)

He is very good to grab a backfield or faraway objective, because he will be able to do so while still firing from across the board.

His 3+ save also mean he is 2+ in cover, which can make him infuriating to kill if the opponent doesn't have mortal wounds. I lost the count of all the time i sent my venator holding someone in melee, risking pretty much nothing with his save, while sniping opponents far away.

Another thing to note : if your prosecutor unit take 4 wound, it's two dead guys, and less attacks. If the venator loose 4 wounds... well, he is still firing at full potential.

The best way to use his arrow is not to immediatly use it. Keep it for turn 2, or 3 if you can afford it. The Venator is a excellent DISTRACTION CARNIFEX, and your opponent will consistently have him in mind.

29 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Well a 42" range for senators is massively bigger than the 30" for Prosecutors.  I run prosecutors on occasion, but I do think Venators will have a place in some lists in 2.0, especially when run in conjunction with a Ballista and other shooting units.  

True and as a hero they can be used to trigger some of the generic command abilities on nearby non-hero units. 

Archived