Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new GHB probably is enough for me (great cover btw) . Not interested on the magic as I haven't even had time to test out the Malihn portents yet.  Bit on a fence with the rulebook, the fluff part could be a nice read. Depends how much it'll be alone. 

3 minutes ago, Vanger said:

From the podcast: The rules will be 18 pages.

That must include the scenarios and/or the realm rules. Or a heckload of pictures. No way that they can fit that much stuff on top of what we have now with the previews they have given this far. 

This is a nice bit of news to wake up to. Glad to see the full hardback core rule book will be in the box. I'm guessing this box set will probably go for the same $160 as Dark Imperium. I'm not sure which annoys me more, that the Armigier Warglaive is a separate kit from the Helverin, or that we have to sit through it's release waiting on this new stuff.

20 chainwrasps - Nighthaunt's a horde army now? The guy with the wooden thing on his back and the guy with the candle are unique, but everyone else is identical. So they'll probably be monopose.  Having 9 pairs of duplicates and then two uniques seems like a weird sprue layout.

The 8 and 4 man units are interesting, Hopefully those are full legal playable units. Especially with the Sequitors coming in a the 3 man easy to build box. It's one thing for pre-GHB kits, but there's not excuse for new kits to come with odd numbers of troops, unless there's some kind of unspoiled rules change for how points work.

The Malign Sorcery expansion seems neat, but I don't know if it'll be a day one purchase for me. I'll probably jump in to expanding my Nighthaunt forces and finally get a large enough to field Stormcast army and basically focus on the releases of those two armies.

The GHB is an autobuy as usual. Excited to see even more battleplans this year. Surprised that the summoning stuff is there instead for the Core book. I suppose that's a hint that it could be getting tweaked and balanced yearly. So existing GHB armies still have their allegiance stuff there, but I hope that's not an exclusive list. They didn't mention anything about printing updated warscrolls(for non-stormcast and non-Nighthaunt) in the GHB or anywhere, so they may be all digital.

I wonder if they'll be doing small box sets along the lines of First Strike and Know No Fear.  Those easy to build kits look ripe for a First Strike Style box, just add a hero. The current Knight of Shrouds on "foot" would round out a Nighthaunt box well and would explain the models existence as a push fit model.

I wonder if we'll be seeing tandem releases of the Stormcast and Nighthaunt stuff, or if post starter we get one army then the other.

11 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

That must include the scenarios and/or the realm rules. Or a heckload of pictures. No way that they can fit that much stuff on top of what we have now with the previews they have given this far. 

And I quote "Ben from the Studio" from the podcast:
- how you move, shoot, fight
- allegiance abilities
- how to use warscrolls and warscroll battalions
- realm of battle rule

Edit:
Also he mentioned, that they will incorporate every FAQ released to date, that still apply.

49 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

This is a good point regarding rules bloat. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a way  you could register what you have  bought(core book, GHB, battletome ect.) via a digital code. Then the official app summarises all of your available rules if you input your army selection (including spells). It could be added to the Azyr section of the app.

This would be great. Just bring an ipad to a game instead. It's crazy they haven't done this yet, but I guess they make more money from print than digital. The AoS app is still very poor, it's ripe for replacing and adding functionality you outline. 

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

The simplicity and compactness of the rules have always been a major argument in the new GW marketing  for both AoS and 40K. I can't see them to be more than few pages (were 4, maybe next will be 6 max ?

I also hope this will not be 18 pages full of rules, because then I fear that AoS might loose its appeal. Age of Sigmar pulled me in, because of its simplicitiy and fast gameplay. Also it was also easy to pull people in the game. because the rules were so compact.

I never played in the Warhammer Fantasy times, because there were so many rules to learn. Also I could never find people to play with, because you had to read a huge rulebook to start playing this game.

So I really hope GW won't do this again. Some people of my gaming group still have sometimes have problems remembering all the rules from the 4-pages. But if they have to learn 18 pages of rules I think AoS will loose its appeal for those people. 

I have a little fear that AoS might loose its popularity, because the rules are getting too complex again. But I seriously hope not. I simply hope for the core rules to be 18 pages, because of the different realm rules or because there are many illustrations.

1 minute ago, Infeston said:

I also hope this will not be 18 pages full of rules, because then I fear that AoS might loose its appeal. Age of Sigmar pulled me in, because of its simplicitiy and fast gameplay. Also it was also easy to pull people in the game. because the rules were so compact.

I never played in the Warhammer Fantasy times, because there were so many rules to learn. Also I could never find people to play with, because you had to read a huge rulebook to start playing this game.

So I really hope GW won't do this again. Some people of my gaming group still have sometimes have problems remembering all the rules from the 4-pages. But if they have to learn 18 pages of rules I think AoS will loose its appeal for those people. 

I have a little fear that AoS might loose its popularity, because the rules are getting too complex again. But I seriously hope not. I simply hope for the core rules to be 18 pages, because of the different realm rules or because there are many illustrations.

Agreed.

Though unless they've kept some other rules changes/additions secret from us, it doesn't sound like the rules have expanded much. They're likely taking more space because they're clarifying certain rules (pile-ins etc) rather than a load of new rules they haven't announced yet. 

I think if it is 18 pages of new rules, they've sort of stopped newbies enjoying the game as much as AoS 1. I know I don't have the time or inclination to learn a complex game!

So preorders on the 16th, release on the 30th so I'll probably have it in my hands on the 27th or 28th. I guess I have that much time to clear out my hobby queue and finish up the rest of my Stormcast Vanguard and get the Hobbit stuff on my painting table done.

Just now, bsharitt said:

So preorders on the 16th, release on the 23rd so I'll probably have it in my hands on the 20th or 21st. I guess I have that much time to clear out my hobby queue and finish up the rest of my Stormcast Vanguard and get the Hobbit stuff on my painting table done.

I believe it's a 2 week release like 40k's 8th edition. Release date is the 30th of June I think.

Count me in the group that came back to Warhammer because of the simplicity of the 4page ruleset. 18 pages of rules might find me focusing right back to Blood Bowl and Shadespire...or just playing 1e.

Speaking of 1e, I bought a ton of books for that edition, so was hoping to only get the free rules and maybe the GHB for 2e...but this box set looks amazing.

I have 1K of FEC and my son has 1K of SCE. It would be nice if this box set had another 1K of death and SCE in it to bring us both up to 2K with one purchase. ;)

Ok so it sounds from the pdcast description above tast the "actual rules"content will be more or less the same and they are just explained better and the 18 pages includes the" additional content" they describe in the preview, realm rules, open war generator, the new scenarios and the narrative stuff. 

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I think we're going to see the handbook stick at £20 and as a soft cover version.  It's worked for the last one and Chapter Approved (40k equivalent) so don't see why they'd bump it up in cost.

Ah, looked to me like a hardback - assumed they'd smash another £5 on top! Certainly won't complain about £20.

43 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

The new GHB probably is enough for me (great cover btw) . Not interested on the magic as I haven't even had time to test out the Malihn portents yet.  Bit on a fence with the rulebook, the fluff part could be a nice read. Depends how much it'll be alone. 

You could sell the models from the box and make your money back, essentially getting the rulebook for free!

6 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Well they've posted indexes for the faction focuses and rules previews. I wonder if that means that's it for that stuff.

Still expecting a teaser for turn 1 priority, GHB, allegiance abilities for the forgotten factions. 

Archived