Make GW Lore Guys Work For Their Supper

Okay, hear me out. Ramble inc.

First of all, I'm one to talk as I'm a Stormcast player to begin with and I've always felt an 'affinity' for order. Maybe it's because I can be quite tidy and organised?

Anyway, I was just thinking that the playerbase has got one of those unique opportunities to shape the lore of the game.

Now the thing about that is, it almost feels like everyone is playing Order. I mean, the new Sylvaneth just came out but from what I've seen, even if you take away the order (ha!) of releases Order dominates in player armies.

I saw a poll on FB and - while not statistically perfect I'm sure - Order was top in every zone. Which means that it's almost certain that Order will win each city and the fluff written will be what Games Workshop would write anyway.

And this is what I really want to drive at - GW fancies the good guys. If you've read the realmgate stuff, by and large the forces of Order are swinging their big ol' order tackleboxes everywhere just rubbing it all over Chaos, Destruction and Death's faces after letting them have a little sniff of potential victory.

This is with high probability what's going to happen in the Season of War stats. So for me, it is almost like we are engaged in this big 'world changing' event and GW could have already written the content for the future of the realms and it'd match without any changes to their world required.

That kind of bums me out. I want to force GW to write up these cities being lost. Even if they 100% will write them as being taken back in a future piece of lore :) Make them earn it!

So my idea is that y'know everyone who feels the way I do, splits their hobby time or devotes their time to a bit of death or a bit of destruction or a bit of chaos.

I myself have some Tzeentch from the ST box set to paint up and game with and I intend to if I get time.  Don't need to lay out any money. If I did have money to lay out I'd probably paint up some death. Just something to break up the stats of my order paint desk/gaming this month!

So what do people think? Am I missing the mark?

As I continue to mull it over, part of me thinks I'm being too cynical and the inevitable Order victory will still be cool to see written as we made it happen.

I mean, for all I know they want to write that the cities end up split between the factions. Otherwise it ends up a bit one sided for the realm of life in the lore...

7 minutes ago, Turragor said:

So my idea is that y'know everyone who feels the way I do, splits their hobby time or devotes their time to a bit of death or a bit of destruction or a bit of chaos.

I myself have some Tzeentch from the ST box set to paint up and game with and I intend to if I get time.  Don't need to lay out any money. If I did have money to lay out I'd probably paint up some death. Just something to break up the stats of my order paint desk/gaming this month!

This part here is exactly what GW wanted with this campaign. They care not how much work their lore slaves have to work. They want people to want their faction to win and to buy more models to make that happen. 

I'm sure most people are like me with a few more army options sitting around though. There's no minimum game size either is there?

So not playing with your larger order army but playing smaller skirmishes with chaos/destruction/death is good enough.

I would say the way GW is writing everything, and seeing how vast each realm is I think they already have all the outcomes thought out. I could easily see them having an order, chaos, destruction, and death win scenario already written out. Chaos still has a death grip on all the realms, Order is just starting to get a toe-hold and a little bit of an alliance going, meanwhile death and destruction are still doing the same things they always have been, dying and destroying things.

IMHO, I think the pendulum is going to swing inexorably toward "the good guys".  I think the 25+ years of impending doom over all the races is going to be followed by at least a few years of good re-establishing itself and having it's "wins" count.  Personally, I was getting kind of tired of the fluff always seeming to be doom and despair, even if the good guys did win a few.  Everyone knew it would end badly, and it did.  (Same in 40k, I fear the end is nigh there as well...)

That being said, I think the results of this campaign could very well determine how quickly and completely the good guys get their way.  A few losses in this might be just the ticket to a long, protracted (i.e. Horus Heresy) style road to eventual victory, whereas a big win for order might just see chaos on their heels a while.

I bet the fluff-inators at GW have a few story lines ready depending on the resolution...

v/r

Bill

Chaos was always the focus before. They never 'won' but they got most of the attention. GW loves chaos. WoC was the most spoiled army there ever was (since the beginning), and daemons were like 4x armies in one (also, bonkers broken rules)

The 'good guys' before were:
- Neglected Brettonia
- Mostly ignored High Elves
- punching bag Empire
- Wood Elves, who finally got a book after 10 years only to be deleted in the AoS
- Dwarfs, who also got a nice nod before being deleted in AoS

GW is now taking a stand and making 'good' cool again. 
- Stormcast are now GW's favorite lovechild (instead of WoC)
- Dwarfs are crazy naked addicts!
- Crazy half-elf tree things!

Order will win, and they should. The lore has been order driven and it has been great, why stop now?

Chaos doesn't need anything really, especially with the inclusion of Skaven. WoC and Daemons are finally properly split up. Bloodbound are not all that exciting lore wise. Chaos inevitably will get a lot of attention and we have huge Arcanite stuff on the way along with rumors of Slaanesh.

Destruction is getting proper treatment with ironjaws and the new wild waagh, along with a new ogor book on the way but its just not big enough to win the campaign, though they could very well beat out chaos due to all the recent releases.

Death is sad. Its an alliance of one. It needs serious help and fast. Flesh-Eaters pretty much took all that was left out of the army. Now we got the End Times models, FE-Courts and not a whole lot else. It needs like 4 sylvaneth-style releases just to get it up to par. There's no hope for death in the campaign. As of this November it will have been no new death models for two years.

What if it's the losing armies that get more?  I also need Tzeentch Arcanites badly.  Soooo badly.  I'm horribly torn, because I want a Verminlord Warpseer, but I know when the arcanites book hits I probably won't use him due to allegiance rules.

I do agree in the sense that I'd love to see 'humans' more because I want to see the direction they take them.

In any case I intend to make a significant dent in Order's command of the Living City this weekend.  :ph34r:

Part of the problem is that the forces set against Order are divided into three factions. So if you perceive Order as good and CDD as evil then the numbers show evil being ahead. But in the Warhammer world, the forces of "evil" have always fought against each other as much as against good.

3 hours ago, GreenMarine said:

Part of the problem is that the forces set against Order are divided into three factions. So if you perceive Order as good and CDD as evil then the numbers show evil being ahead. But in the Warhammer world, the forces of "evil" have always fought against each other as much as against good.

I don't really think Death and Destruction are strictly evil. Death is closer to being evil I suppose but they are no where near Chaos as they still need actual civilization around. Destruction is evil in the way a natural disaster is evil.

6 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

What if it's the losing armies that get more?  I also need Tzeentch Arcanites badly.  Soooo badly.  I'm horribly torn, because I want a Verminlord Warpseer, but I know when the arcanites book hits I probably won't use him due to allegiance rules.

I do agree in the sense that I'd love to see 'humans' more because I want to see the direction they take them.

In any case I intend to make a significant dent in Order's command of the Living City this weekend.  :ph34r:

I suspect this is the case, think about it this loss might cause Archaon to focus all his efforts on freeing slaanesh and allowing the tzeentch arcanites to get out from under his thumb. Nagash might go overdrive in gathering the mortarch's together and getting them to raise new armies. Who knows what could happen. 

Death does desperately need an update. I mean ghouls are cool and their fluff are cool but most people don't run ghoul armies IMO. All the skeleton models NEED to be reboxed death players have to order in round bases and zombies need a dam update for real now. We don't even have a plastic vampire model. D: We have the smallest grand alliance and the least amount of fluff. 

Hell in all-gates all death got was a page, while all the other grand alliances had their own crazy stories and battles. 

On 7/15/2016 at 1:43 PM, ronin_cse said:

I don't really think Death and Destruction are strictly evil. Death is closer to being evil I suppose but they are no where near Chaos as they still need actual civilization around. Destruction is evil in the way a natural disaster is evil.

Fair enough. I was speaking more from a player perception POV than a lore POV. From a lore POV I agree that Orruks are not evil. They're just rowdy boyz being rowdy boyz.

Er I view Death as more of the bad side of order. Nagash clearly says he pretty much wants to bring things to desolation and he would call it "good". He want's to cast down the chaos gods and sigmar. Hell in the old world nagash believes if majority of the world is undead or followers of his will (mortal necromancers and the like) there will be peace. 

Going by his audio drama speeches that has not changed. 

Archived