The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

Really good and informative bat rep, thanks for writing that!

I think the best course of action in that game would have been to go first, run the Gruntas up far and form a fatty piggy meat wall in front of the Khorne army (possibly without charging), then comfortably parking on the objectives with other units. If you park them in front of prime targets (Wrathmongers and Skullcrushers as @Sangfroid says), your opponent has to either commit more units to taking them out, thereby wasting precious turns, or accept his most important units being stuck in the deployment zone and try to move around your Gruntas to fight the rest of your army.

• Like 1

Good report! It seems you had swingy luck in both directions. 

Good seeing two of the worst cavalry units in the game swing pillows at each other (not so Mighty Skullcrushers and Pigs).

It felt less one sided than I'd expected though. What did you think of the Blood Tithe system? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I'm actually going to go out of sync and instead discuss my game last night with @Bueno whilst it's nice and (painfully) fresh in my memory.

Thanks for the game Chris, and for bearing with me as I blew the cobwebs of, a few hectic months without playing and i'd reverted to 8th edition going straight to the movement phase!

As requested there are pics of my army here, though my photo skills are not the best and its far more a painting log than the level of detail Chris goes into here (which is phenomenal to see):

It was a good game and good me for to see what my units do (only being my 4th game with the army) and what the Ironjawz can (or can't ;)) do.

It was also great to see more of your army, having not seen the MC in the flesh before I was blown away, great scheme and execution.

I agree with you that the BOK match up isn't great for IJ, as i said last night if GW are going to make armies like IronJawz pure combat they should be able to be the best combat army in the game, an unfortunately a lot of the Khorne units seem to out combat them, helped of course now by the new allegiance abilities etc. It struck me that the book was perhaps written before they had fully decided on how they wanted special rules to work in AOS, the goregruntas charge ability only working from 8" away rather than when rolled over an 8, and the warchanter only affecting your turns for example. You don't see those limitations of rules on the more recent stuff.

I think as you say the biggest decider of the game was you not taking 1st turn, but knowing the Khorne match up as you do I completely understand why you were hesitant to barrel forward with everything. The terrain certainly didn't help you either, being mystical and the size of it making it hard for you to manoeuvre the Megabrutes (which were scary to see in action when they got in there). 

I think there could be some mileage in the pigs with the objective as they did take some shifting, even with the number of units i threw at them, I think the biggest problem is the low model count though, with only 3 pigs in a unit they are easy to out number on a objective.

I'll definately be down again sometime soon, thanks to @Paul Buckler for having me, maybe next time we get a game i'll bring the beastmen as i haven't completely given up hope on making them work yet.

cheers,

Ben

Edited by Bueno
typo
  • Like 2

On 2017-04-27 at 1:22 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

@Ratrek - Hey man, that's such great feedback and really nice of you to say. Genuinely makes the time that goes into the thread worthwhile. Are you doing Ironjawz yourself?

Greetings!

I started off as pure Ironjawz but I've been rather irritated at how easily I was getting blown off the table. Our group is only jumping back in to AoS but everyone played Fantasy for ages before that and everyone is a ex-tournament player of reasonable to really high skill. So it took all of 5 days for the arms race to begin. Hah!

So I'm branching out from pure Ironjawz to add in Savages. I'm hoping the extra wounds at the lower point cost will actually keep me in games.

I had high hopes for the Gorefirst, until I realized the bit about shooting out of combat. Sigh. Which incidentally is the only rule in AoS I really don't like. Oh well.

• Like 1

Hi @Chris Tomlin. I'd just like you to know that I hold you personally responsible for my having spent over £200 on Ironjawz in the past 2 weeks. I hope you are happy.

P.S: anyone know how easy it is to remove the arms of assembled brutes? I think I maybe want them to be all gorehackas instead. Unless anyone can vouch for squads over 5 with all choppas that is.

Edited by Walrustaco
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

Hi @Chris Tomlin. I'd just like you to know that I hold you personally responsible for my having spent over £200 on Ironjawz in the past 2 weeks. I hope you are happy.

P.S: anyone know how easy it is to remove the arms of assembled brutes? I think I maybe want them to be all gorehackas instead. Unless anyone can vouch for squads over 5 with all choppas that is.

Check out this thread we discuss and I've posted some pics to help explain. :-)

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies, some great ones in there. I'm super busy at work this week (Bank Holiday Monday just means 5 days of work needs to be done in 4 days!) but will catch up and respond to them all ASAP.

Hoping to try out a silly Brutefist list at the club tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 10:38 PM, Walrustaco said:

I can vouch for units of 10 brutes with two choppas each, I have been running it for a while, and found it pretty decent, especially in the mirror match. Here is my logic:

A unit of 10 brutes is probably deployed in two rows of 5, your boss and 4 normal guys are in the front line, which is fine.

Your second rank has the two gore-choppas in it, leaving three normal guys.

You can normally pile in the two end guys from the second rank to wrap around your opponent, meaning you only miss one model out.

This gives you boss + gore-choppas,+24 normal attacks.

With gore-hackas you would get all the normal attacks in, but thats still boss+gore-choppas+21 normal attacks.

Obviously with 15 brutes the gore-hackas get much better, as your still only likely to get two models on a wrap-around.

• Like 2

Morning all,

Going to try to catch up with all the replies now (caught up on all the likes as well), then post my list for tonight later on. Hopefully like last week I can do a detailed battle report tomorrow as well. I then have 4 SCGT practice games and 6 SCGT games to do briefer reports on over the next couple of week. You can listen to my SCGT coverage on the following The Black Sun Weekly podcast episode (about 45mins);

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, Fungrim said:

Reckon this is where it broke down mate, I absolutely know this feeling and when it's Gorefist time, I get the impression there is absolutely no room for fear....

Another great battle report though mate, think you're inspiring us all to get our pig on (sounded better in my head than it looks on-screen...)

You know what, in it's simplest form I think you are 100% first. There is no reason to take that Battalion and not go for it. Makes the extra move essentially pointless if not as by the time they've moved you could get there with Rampaging Destroyers, Ironfist and move anyway!

Yeh we did all pig out a bit last week didn't we haha! Good fun.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, Sangfroid said:

Great report Chris, I honestly felt the green waaagh energy building in my stomach reading it, I literally now cannot wait until I can get a game with the IJ again!!

Gorefist some thoughts based on what you posted (for all our benefit tactical discussions) 

1) stay away from khorgoraths with goregruntas, they have rend -1, now do 2 damage and worse have a -1 to bravery buff (and a shooting attack) you are unlikely to clear off all 8 wounds in a single charge with 3 pigs so the more likely outcome is a second round of combat, if things don't go your way and you lose a model or worse 2 then you on a 5+/4+ bravery test to lose the unit. Ideally the crusha goes for this, shoots it first and does some damage then destroys it with bulk on the charge and then goes to charge again! Or if it's close to other units does the above but splits attacks to clear it off and assault a second target. 

2) skullcrushers, these guys in a 6 were a prime target for the gorefist, even if they had glaives I reckon it could have taken maybe 3 or 4 rounds of combat (unaided) for them to kill the 3 pigs, if you had shielded on the way in as well. This would have pinned the massive unit in place for your cabbage or Megabrutes to advance and smash to pieces on your terms.  Worst case is you hold him up and commits other units to clear them out of the way basically meaning even if he double turns you he hasn't actually moved forwards with enough to really threaten you because you have pinned him back on his deployment line for his turn one. Then You have the double turn chance back going into T3. 

3) wrathmongers, another prime target (as you said) 3 pigs with a chanter buff should kill 3 of these on the charge (losing 1 to attacking yourself and maybe a second to the 2 guys attacks back) depending on how things play out and the threat they pose to cabbage and Megabrutes you could have sacrificed the pigs to neutralise or even destroy the wrathmongers as a trade off. As the battle enfolds his army has to engage both the cabbage and Megabrutes so without wrathmongers to make you hurt yourself gives you more chance to win out in the grind. 

Btw not any criticism here just some observations before a Weirdnob makes my head explode :-) Khorne was alway tough now with a new book even tougher! I am quite pleased the gorefist (could have) worked and has some legs for further testing! 

Hey, cheers for the lengthy reply brother. Good comments/advice as to be expected;

1) Agreed. The pigs should not have gone for this. However at it was deployed on an extreme flank, there's now way the Cabbage or Megabrutes were wasting a turn out in no mans lands...leaving me with...well, just pigs! In hindsight I probably should've tried to ignore it.

2) Yeh I was really hoping to get these stuck on Gore-gruntas, but @Bueno's deployment stopped me being able to as they were dead centre...I couldn't throw 3 pigs forward into that as they would've been swamped by about 4 other units. In general, this was the issue, Ben had so many more units than me.

3) Similarly to the above points, I do agree and in a vacuum would pick the targets like this where possible. However, my army dropped waaaaay before Ben's, so I didn't have much control. Sure, I could've used my movement to point things in the right direction, but being vastly outnumbered on actual units meant each of mine would be fighting two, or even three units to one. The Megabrutes don't mind this, nor does the Cabbage to an extend...3 pigs though, not so much!! 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Solaris said:

Really good and informative bat rep, thanks for writing that!

I think the best course of action in that game would have been to go first, run the Gruntas up far and form a fatty piggy meat wall in front of the Khorne army (possibly without charging), then comfortably parking on the objectives with other units. If you park them in front of prime targets (Wrathmongers and Skullcrushers as @Sangfroid says), your opponent has to either commit more units to taking them out, thereby wasting precious turns, or accept his most important units being stuck in the deployment zone and try to move around your Gruntas to fight the rest of your army.

Yeh, I definitely think it was a big mistake not to go first. The army needs that every time I think. The only issue is that the army is literally just the Gorefist, the Cabbage and the Megabrutes, so once they get through said pigwall I haven't got enough units. So really I guess we have to consider poor list design as well as poor play on my part. In my defence, there is no way I wasn't using the Megabrutes after SCGT haha! I suspect @N_Watson's variant with 3x 5 Brutes compliments the list better.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, Nico said:

Good report! It seems you had swingy luck in both directions. 

Good seeing two of the worst cavalry units in the game swing pillows at each other (not so Mighty Skullcrushers and Pigs).

It felt less one sided than I'd expected though. What did you think of the Blood Tithe system? 

Cheers man. Yeh as to be expected, both units were terrible haha! I actually really like the Blood Tithe system. It's super fluffy and really effective. I suspect we'll only see the first few results regularly used. I liked @Bueno's use of triggering the Aspiring Deathbringer's command ability for 1. That worked nicely and is reliable enough to build into list design. For the latter turns he had a dispel scroll ready if I ever cast Foot of Gork!

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Bueno said:

Thanks for the game Chris, and for bearing with me as I blew the cobwebs of, a few hectic months without playing and i'd reverted to 8th edition going straight to the movement phase!

As requested there are pics of my army here, though my photo skills are not the best and its far more a painting log than the level of detail Chris goes into here (which is phenomenal to see):

It was a good game and good me for to see what my units do (only being my 4th game with the army) and what the Ironjawz can (or can't ;)) do.

It was also great to see more of your army, having not seen the MC in the flesh before I was blown away, great scheme and execution.

I agree with you that the BOK match up isn't great for IJ, as i said last night if GW are going to make armies like IronJawz pure combat they should be able to be the best combat army in the game, an unfortunately a lot of the Khorne units seem to out combat them, helped of course now by the new allegiance abilities etc. It struck me that the book was perhaps written before they had fully decided on how they wanted special rules to work in AOS, the goregruntas charge ability only working from 8" away rather than when rolled over an 8, and the warchanter only affecting your turns for example. You don't see those limitations of rules on the more recent stuff.

I think as you say the biggest decider of the game was you not taking 1st turn, but knowing the Khorne match up as you do I completely understand why you were hesitant to barrel forward with everything. The terrain certainly didn't help you either, being mystical and the size of it making it hard for you to manoeuvre the Megabrutes (which were scary to see in action when they got in there). 

I think there could be some mileage in the pigs with the objective as they did take some shifting, even with the number of units i threw at them, I think the biggest problem is the low model count though, with only 3 pigs in a unit they are easy to out number on a objective.

I'll definately be down again sometime soon, thanks to @Paul Buckler for having me, maybe next time we get a game i'll bring the beastmen as i haven't completely given up hope on making them work yet.

Good, fair summary there mate, can't disagree with any of that. Glad you enjoyed the game, I had a great time hanging out with you. Up for a rematch anytime. It would be interesting to replay and see what (if any) difference that turn 1 makes. Personally, I think you swamp me every time.

@Ratrek @Walrustaco @Sangfroid and @KnightFire I'll catch up with your posts shortly. Taking longer than expected haha.

Cheers guys,
Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 4

Before I get around to the other replies thought I'd quickly share some pics I've posted on twitter. Couple more Gore-gruntas finished bar adding the little icons and cleaning mouldlines. 4 more to go!!

I've also converted my second crossbow armed Brute (will have a unit of 5 eventually). This one is riding a mini-grunta haha!! Still a bit more greenstuffing to do on this bad boy. 

I have so much to paint again now!!

Enjoy! 

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

• Like 3

Can't wait to see some paint on these bad boys!!

oh An dan said thank for shouting his mum out on the latest episode of the black sun. As always another baller show. An come in handy while I was converting up a few brutes. 

• Like 1

Afternoon bros and hos!

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, Ratrek said:

Greetings!

I started off as pure Ironjawz but I've been rather irritated at how easily I was getting blown off the table. Our group is only jumping back in to AoS but everyone played Fantasy for ages before that and everyone is a ex-tournament player of reasonable to really high skill. So it took all of 5 days for the arms race to begin. Hah!

So I'm branching out from pure Ironjawz to add in Savages. I'm hoping the extra wounds at the lower point cost will actually keep me in games.

I had high hopes for the Gorefirst, until I realized the bit about shooting out of combat. Sigh. Which incidentally is the only rule in AoS I really don't like. Oh well.

Yeh man, I feel your pain. Running pure Ironjawz is tough work at the best of times. Both myself and other long time Ironjawz tournament player @Sangfroid have discussed our frustration with them at times. I think in certain groups an arms race is really common, happens in my in every game we play. Still, you can usually find a level and it makes the wins you get all the more sweeter. I'm quite confident I could take a super strong list and compete well, but a sick part of my wants to fight on through the pain of being a pure Ironjawz player haha! I do properly love the army and have a good time playing it which helps.

Adding some Savage Orruks is a solid plan for sure. It's something I've been meaning to do for the longest time now. I think I'll probably hold off until GH2 now before investing a bunch of time into converting and painting them to fit my theme.

Oddly, I've heard a few newcomers mention their disdain for shooting into/out of combat in AoS of late. It's strange, as I don't play with shooting often, but it really doesn't bother me...it's just part of the game. You'll learn to live with it man, it's fine.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Walrustaco said:

Oh man, that's awesome!! Wow! That makes me feel great I gotta say, definitely happy. Hopefully you will be too. Playing Ironjawz is the most fun I've had wargaming in memory. As mentioned above, they will frustrate the hell out of you at times, but you cant help but smiling at their "little green faces" (to quote @Sangfroid) as they smash stuff up on a glorious double turn and crush your opponent entirely.

Speaking of Kieran, he has you covered in the link he posted;

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, Sangfroid said:

Check out this thread we discuss and I've posted some pics to help explain. :-)

This was a great post and really highlighted that Jagged Gore-hackas are not a necessity on larger units. Up until this post I wouldn't have believed this.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, KnightFire said:

I can vouch for units of 10 brutes with two choppas each, I have been running it for a while, and found it pretty decent, especially in the mirror match. Here is my logic:

A unit of 10 brutes is probably deployed in two rows of 5, your boss and 4 normal guys are in the front line, which is fine.

Your second rank has the two gore-choppas in it, leaving three normal guys.

You can normally pile in the two end guys from the second rank to wrap around your opponent, meaning you only miss one model out.

This gives you boss + gore-choppas,+24 normal attacks.

With gore-hackas you would get all the normal attacks in, but thats still boss+gore-choppas+21 normal attacks.

Obviously with 15 brutes the gore-hackas get much better, as your still only likely to get two models on a wrap-around.

Again, @KnightFire does talk sense on this subject. However, for me, I do prefer my units of 10+ Brutes to have the Jagged Gore-hackas. It's not just about bringing the full unit to bear as discussed above. There also should be consideration to what happens when your units get (inevitably) depleted. Sure, at this point if your unit has Brute Choppas you can easily get them all in, but with the Jagged Gore-hackas, you are able to condense your frontage and fit in smaller spaces, which is a help. Now obviously once you drop below a certain number it's irrelevant as it's down to the Boss and the Gore-choppas.

Basically, it's not a foregone conclusion either way. Genuinely for me I like to have a mix for aesthetics!

Oh Matt, I hear rumour you may be attending the Dorset Doggers club at some point?!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Can't wait to see some paint on these bad boys!!

oh An dan said thank for shouting his mum out on the latest episode of the black sun. As always another baller show. An come in handy while I was converting up a few brutes. 

Yeh man, cant wait to paint them up. Think it's going to have to be in 3's in order to feel like I'm getting anywhere. My target is definitely to have all 18 painted for RAW! Keep pressing me on this! @Mitzy @Jimbo @Devilreefman @Thornshield

Haha!! Gotta give the shout out to AdrenaLynne! :x. Glad you liked the show bro. Which events you got planned for this year?

Any pics of the Brutes you've been converting?

1 hour ago, Bueno said:

Nice use of those bits on the conversions :)

What are you gonna use the bro riding the oldschool boar as? That boar looks so much better with that rider than the original.

I am making a unit of 5 Brutes armed with crossbows for lolz, he will just be one of the dudes in that unit. The boar is a nice sculpt actually, doesn't look out of place.

The bits I got off you were super useful actually. Will really help me to convert my Savage Orruks into Ardboy Yoofs (if I finish the project as mentioned above).

Cheers for all the replies boys!

Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 4

Oh,

Here's the list I think I'll use tonight as I continue my journey of trying out the other battalions down the club;

Krunk - Battle Brew
Pig Benis on Cabbage - Talisman
Weirdnob Shaman
3x Warchanter
5x 5 Brutes
Brute Fist

2,000 on the nose.

Again, like my Gorefist list last week, it's not great, but looks fun. I'm playing a Beastherd heavy Chaos list tonight (probably backed up by two Warp Lightning Cannons). As this one is a campaign game, it means my General will be the Brute Big Boss (he gets reroll to hit once a game as a bonus he rolled...useful for that Boss Klaw!). I had considered upping his unit to a 10. I could drop the Weirdnob and one Warchanter to achieve this possibly. I can afford to do this as Krunk now has a crown that makes him a wizard (and also permanently suffers the effects of mystical terrain if he rolls a 1), so he can shield the Cabbage.

Dunno, thoughts?

• Like 1

Best pics I have on my phone at more. They are primed now an awaiting paint. 

Also events I'm not sure. @Dan Hadert is like my tournament secretary lol. Because he's baller like that. Or maybe he has no friends. 

I know we have the doubles in Norwich booked up an a few more. I'll ask him. 

Also if I can I'll be nabbing a couple raw17 ticket for me an dan. 

We went last time was a great social love hanging with the eatsbats boys. Especially @Jimbo an @Mitzy 

already got so many ideas as to what I wanna do! Loads of new jaws stuff on the way. 

Ill be interested to see what you make of the brute fist tonight. I think msu is the way to go with it. Max out them mortal wounds. Maybe. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

@Tom - ****** man, they are f'in awesome!!! Wow. Seriously, I'm jealous. I want all of them in my army now! I had planned to use the Gordrakk icon thing as an Ardboy banner myself, but this is much better.

Any pics of the one hander Gore-choppa bro, he looks like a total boss!

Definitely wish I did some of mine without the front army, looks badass.

Great work...and they'll look even better when put into the fantastic colours of the mighty Blackburn Rovers!! #COYB

Also, you need to make your own blog on here so people can see your army so far etc.

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 2

Great posts all (as always) regarding the brutefist     @Chris Tomlin as it's a campaign game it will be fun but it's an interesting idea to not take any chaff and load up on characters as they will really help the brutes bring the pain. Only thing I would say is every time I've use the Brutefist I have had the Megaboss as general and used a waaagh everyturn because IP is largely irrelevant. If you can't do this because of campaign then you should load up a 10/15 Megabrutes unit :-) 

also don't forget the stupid 10" rule all units have to be 10" from Bruteboss to be able to charge and do mortals I've found a 2 wave formation works with choppas at the front jagged Hackas second line.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

also don't forget the stupid 10" rule all units have to be 10" from Bruteboss to be able to charge and do mortals I've found a 2 wave formation works with choppas at the front jagged Hackas second line.

Rushing to reply before the end of work, but yeh, I won't forget this....only because I forgot it with the Gorefist last week and had to pull back in with rubbish deployment and Rampaging Destroyers haha!!

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Friday again...for a four day week, it's felt long. Urgh. Looking forward to a nice chilled weekend, bit of podcasting and editing and then hopefully get some paint on some Orruks and/or Gruntas!

So, I'll give a quick recap of my game(s) last night. Unfortunately not much to talk about though as due to a monumental error it wasn't much of a game haha! As we know, I do have 10 other games to recap on as well.

But yeh, due to a lack of time, let’s just crack on with this now and will circle back round to the other replies above. I'm continue my little adventure with all the other Ironjawz battalions; Gorefist last week, Brutefist this week.
I did have to change my proposed list as I forgot a couple of campaign related things, including only be able to use painted models. So, this did seem the perfect opportunity to get 30 Brutes on the table for the first time since August 2016;

• Megaboss Krunk - Battle Brew, Crown of Sorcery (makes him a Wizard, but has to roll as per Mystical terrain each turn)
  • Pig Benis on Cabbage - Talisman of Protection
  • 2x Warchanter
  • 15 Megabrutes - General, Bellowing Tyrant, Big Boss can reroll hits once per game
  • 3x 5 Brutes (2 units with Gore Choppas, 1 unit with Jagged Gore-hackas, just due to models painted)
  • Brutefist

1,980 points - My Triumph was reroll hits...which I've only just remember and when you read below you'll understand why I've just become even more irritated at myself haha!!

I actually don't think this is a terrible list. Having Krunk on Shaman duty definitely helps it tbh, you'd probably miss the Shaman in regular matched play. But then, you'd probably drop the 15 Brutes down to a 10, make the Cabbage the General (for Mighty Waaagh!) and chuck in a Shaman. Wouldn't be bad.

Game 73 vs James Eveleigh (Chaos)

James was using his list that saw him place 178/182 at the SCGT a couple of weeks ago (so this should be easy, right? ;)); Beastlord, 2 Bray Shamans, 30 Ungor Raiders, 3x 20 Gor, 20 Bestigor, 2x 3 Bullgor and 2 Warp Lightning Cannons.
Loads of models! He had Lord of War and the ability to put Inspiring Presence on two units. I'll be honest, I probably took James and his list a little lightly; both distrustful and stupid!! We were playing Gifts from the Heavens and James spread his army wide across the board, with the characters and WLC's central behind banks of Gor and Ungor.
My deployment was weighted just off centre to the right, meaning if the comet dropped to my left I'd have to speed across the grab it. This wouldn't be too much of a problem as the Cabbage was near enough and the Megabrutes were central.
I passed James the first turn, knowing that his WLC's (which worried me) would be out of range. He put down his buffs and moved up a little, but not much, awaiting the comet. A good plan on his part. I did pretty much the same and that was turn 1 done, very uneventful. I often find this battleplan is a 4 turn game.
I won the priority for T2 (so that's 5 priorities in 8 games now...spoiler, I didn't get any more this game!) and stupidly decided to take it. I should've look to see where his landed and given myself the potential of a double into 3. Hopefully reading my mistakes is helpful to some of you!! My objective landed on the right, which was useful, but I just played this turn terribly. Inexplicably I moved the Megabrutes to go and sit on my objective. WHY?! I should've let him take the turn, seen where the objective was and ran them straight at it. This was honestly a terrible move. 5 Brutes charged 20 Gor in the hero phase with the Brutefist, killing 3 with the mortal wounds (nice!) and the Cabbage went into another 20. By the end of the turn all 40 Gor were dead for the loss of a Brute, not too shabby.
James' objective dropped in the middle amongst 50 odd bodies with inspiring presence on it all. Tough. His whole army was pretty much covered by a couple of bits of mystical and whilst he had a couple of fails over the game, the rerolls to wound proved telling.
I'll say now, James got the double turn from 2-3 and over those two turns was able to bring down the Cabbage and Krunk (who was inexplicably running towards the Beastherd alone - oh, his career as a wizard start off poorly with a double one. Did get a mystic shield off after that before dying though!).
Basically to cut a long, grindy story short, it went from bad to worse as the Bestigor killed 5 Brutes as did 3 Bullgor(?!) in one turn. In the end I finally got the Megabrutes into the middle, fighting almost all of James' army. In their first round of combat they had +2 to hit (Bellowing Tyrant and Warchanter), the Boss missed with his Klaw (I forgot his special reroll) and the Brutes with 36 Jagged-hacka attacks hitting on 2+, roll 14 (FOURTEEN!!) ones...here's where remembering that triumph beforehand would've helped!
Anyway, had I won T5 priority, I could've retreated the Megabrutes to within 6 of his objective, meaning he would have to kill them all else I'd stop him scoring and win. As I've alluded to, this did not happen...though truth be told, I would not have deserved it.
His WLC were really poor early game, so I told him to swig his cider for a battle brew power-up....yeh, 4 consecutive 1's after that!! Ridiculous haha.
Going into my last turn, we counted up the kill points so far (as it would definitely be a draw on the objectives); James had killed 1120 of mine and I had killed 780 of his. The depleted Megabrutes were still fighting 3 Bullgor and a unit of Gor (about 15 left)...Bullgor are worth 180, Gor 160....180+160+780 = 1120!!
I was sure we'd have a rare straight up draw on our hands...as it was, I couldn't get the job done, even with charging 4 more Brutes it, 4 Gor remained and James won!

Result - Minor Defeat

So, it's definitely fair to say that the dice were ridiculous in that game...like crazy! However, my play was even more ridiculous, utterly retarded and I deservingly lost!

I liked the list, it was fun to play. Got 3 Brutefist charges in over the game and totally 7 mortal wounds, which is a great little addition. I think with some more respect and sensible play, I could've pretty handily won this one. Ah well, definitely some good learning points. Also, I quite like the Beastherd especially backed up with the WLCs!

I also played a quick 1k learning game...

Game 74 vs Jenny Lyons (Disciples of Tzeentch)

I had Krunk, Warchanter, 10 Brutes, 2x5 Brutes, Ironfist. Jen had Ogroid, Gaunt Summoner, 10 Pink Horrors, 10 Tzaangor, 6 Flamers. We played a modified Border War (GHOUL PATROL!) on a 4x4 board.
I pushed forwards to go 5-0 up as standard. Jen considered moving into the middle to try and score back. I advised that with a shooting/magic army there's no shame in not engaging and just holding back, taking me off and cleaning up objective later turns.
Unfortunately her dice hated her and Krunk was able to tank 2D6 and 2D3 spells and survive on 1 wound! The Flamers and Horrors didn't pull their wait and before she knew it, my army was on her. I smashed the Flamers, only for her to fold reality and get all 6 back, which was cool to see. Unfortunately wasn't enough and we ended up calling it as I was so far up.
Cool to play against the Tzeentch though, shame her Destiny Dice weren't a little tastier (all 2, 3, 4, 5!) and tbh I was disappointed with the Ogroid.
As I say, just a learning game, just listed for a sake of completeness.

Result - Major Victory

Gonna have to leave it there guys, that still took longer than I can afford really haha!
Sorry to rush towards the end.

Will reply to other bits later if I get the chance, if not have a great weekend!!

Chris

• Like 4

Nice report @Chris Tomlin 

brute fist worth it? Or to early to tell?

your probably right about the blog. But I'm rubbish at taking pics An with the awesome work you guys on here are already doing I'm not sure I need to. 

Also events I'm booked in for so far this year 

Norwich doubles

Brothers of sigmar 

Face hammer

Essex fury 

Raw- if I get a space of corse 

• Like 1

On 2017-05-04 at 6:32 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh man, I feel your pain. Running pure Ironjawz is tough work at the best of times. Both myself and other long time Ironjawz tournament player @Sangfroid have discussed our frustration with them at times. I think in certain groups an arms race is really common, happens in my in every game we play. Still, you can usually find a level and it makes the wins you get all the more sweeter. I'm quite confident I could take a super strong list and compete well, but a sick part of my wants to fight on through the pain of being a pure Ironjawz player haha! I do properly love the army and have a good time playing it which helps.

Adding some Savage Orruks is a solid plan for sure. It's something I've been meaning to do for the longest time now. I think I'll probably hold off until GH2 now before investing a bunch of time into converting and painting them to fit my theme.

Oddly, I've heard a few newcomers mention their disdain for shooting into/out of combat in AoS of late. It's strange, as I don't play with shooting often, but it really doesn't bother me...it's just part of the game. You'll learn to live with it man, it's fine.

Chris

Greetings good sir!

I think the bit about not liking shooting out of combat, is that no other game that I've played lets you do it. Even in the games where you can shoot into combat, there's a risk involved that you might hit your own people. That's something that I accept when there's a risk.

The reason I really don't like it nowin AoS as it allows shooting units to get away with sloppy positioning. There's almost no risk for them to get bogged down by fast moving units as they can still shoot their target AND fight off the pinning unit at the same time. Tactically, this is incredibly irritating. I will get use to it and pretty much have but it's my number one pet peeve about AoS. I love that positioning matters in wargames. It's the main attractor to me playing them instead of just playing a tactical card game like MtG. This rule/ability goes against everything I love in games. You can be sloppy and just dice your way out of the problem. Fleh.

Oh well. At least I know what's what now and can adjust my expectations.

As to GH2, I really wonder if that's going to help IronJawz at all. Even if there's a huge point drops on the Cabbage like 100 and 20 from every other unit, that's really one extra unit to the army. I don't think that's enough really. But we'll see.

Edited by Ratrek
spelling
  • Like 2

Morning all,

Hope you all had a good weekend and are enjoying this lovely wet Monday morning back at work....yeh...me too :S 

I managed to get a decent bit of painting done on 3 more Gore-gruntas on Saturday. I did plan to paint late into the evening and then again on Sunday as well with a view to getting them nearly complete. However I ended up going out to a local Metal show, had a few battlebrews and subsequently achieved nothing else for the rest of the weekend! Ooops.

Socially it's a busy one this week, but will try to squeeze in a bit of time to progress on them. Honestly, if I ever get all 18 of them painted it will be quite the achievement. They take soooo long!!

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, Tom said:

Nice report @Chris Tomlin 

brute fist worth it? Or to early to tell?

your probably right about the blog. But I'm rubbish at taking pics An with the awesome work you guys on here are already doing I'm not sure I need to. 

Also events I'm booked in for so far this year 

Norwich doubles

Brothers of sigmar 

Face hammer

Essex fury 

Raw- if I get a space of corse 

@Tom - Too early to tell on the Brutefist tbh. I think it has potential for sure. The mortal wounds are something we can't turn our noses up at, being we have such poor access to them.

I think it'd be nice just to stick up a topic with photos of your army man, I really like it and your newer conversations are looking great. People would wanna see all that!

Nice, well I'll see you at Bros of Sigmar (perhaps me and @Forestreveries will grudge you and @Dan Hadert), Facehammer and RAW. Plenty of opportunities for me to get you that beer back! ;) 

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:13 AM, Ratrek said:

Greetings good sir!

I think the bit about not liking shooting out of combat, is that no other game that I've played lets you do it. Even in the games where you can shoot into combat, there's a risk involved that you might hit your own people. That's something that I accept when there's a risk.

The reason I really don't like it nowin AoS as it allows shooting units to get away with sloppy positioning. There's almost no risk for them to get bogged down by fast moving units as they can still shoot their target AND fight off the pinning unit at the same time. Tactically, this is incredibly irritating. I will get use to it and pretty much have but it's my number one pet peeve about AoS. I love that positioning matters in wargames. It's the main attractor to me playing them instead of just playing a tactical card game like MtG. This rule/ability goes against everything I love in games. You can be sloppy and just dice your way out of the problem. Fleh.

Oh well. At least I know what's what now and can adjust my expectations.

As to GH2, I really wonder if that's going to help IronJawz at all. Even if there's a huge point drops on the Cabbage like 100 and 20 from every other unit, that's really one extra unit to the army. I don't think that's enough really. But we'll see.

@Ratrek - Yeh I do think it feels a bit jarring coming from other games, it certainly did at the start for me tbh. However a couple of years in and it's just part of the game, I don't consider it any differently that any of the other rules...as much as it tends to hurt me (being that I don't use much shooting).

In regards to the GH2, yeh at this stage we really do need to just wait and see I guess. I see what you're saying, but we'll have to look at it as a whole, it's not just want they do to Ironjawz that matters to us, it's how other armies may be affected.

Interesting.

Anyway, I hope to catch up on battle reports this week with just a quick overview of my final SCGT warm ups and the games at the event itself.

Hoping to get in a game vs @Paul Buckler and his Kharadron Overlords as well. Make sure you check out his thread in the Order section. Incredibly he's already painted a full army and is playing games. Well worth a look.

Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 2

@Chris Tomlin I spoke to @Dan Hadert he said we could do with an easy win? So he's up for a grudge match! 

Ok I'll look in to doing a thread. Thanks for the support. Worst ways I can get some ideas An feed back. Works manic at mo, do prob won't get time till the weekend to do it. 

Keep up the good work brother!

got the podcast downloaded can't want to hear what the hell "narrative" is. 

• Like 1

Afternoon,

Been a bit quiet this week. Work has been busy, but I will at some point get around to brief reports on the 10 outstanding games (will just be a couple of lines for each).

I haven't been totally idle however, I am about 50% of the way through painting Gore-gruntas 4-6 (of 18, so depressing!) and hope to have them finished within the next week or so. I'll be working on some other projects after that, but I think before Gruntas 7-9, I may finally get those Blood Bowl Ardboy conversions painted! This will give me some more well rounded options for when the GH2 drops.

@Tom - Thanks for the support as always bro.

Some of you may have read my Coalescence thread in this forum, where I have discussed taking Ogors to the upcoming global narrative event. I will be attending the Warhammer World event being run by @Devilreefman and @Mitzy . There is still an argument for taking the Ironjawz however. Here's what the staggered lists would look like perhaps;

500 Points

• Megaboss Krunk
  • 5 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes

1,000 Points

• Megaboss Krunk
  • Weirdnob Shaman
  • 5 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 3 Gore-gruntas
  • 10 Ardboys

1,500 Points

• Megaboss Krunk
  • Pig Benis on Cabbage
  • Weirdnob Shaman
  • 5 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 3 Gore-gruntas
  • 10 Ardboys

Thoughts? I could drop the Cabbage at 1.5k for two Warchanters and two more units.

Remember it's narrative so I'm not looking for the best list, more the coolest.

Cheers for reading, have a good weekend
Chris

• Like 2