Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Burf Jeah. Dude. You were very rude in conveying your opinion. There are other ways to tell other people what you think without disregarding their point. 

Back on topic. In the video from Guerilla Games at "11:40" there are the point costs for the Harbringers. I can't tell how much points they cost, because of the quality. Can someone encode the point costs?

I can only see two digits. I guess they cost 80 points, but I can't really see something.

30 minutes ago, Burf said:

If I say 'I don't understand why you'd go left there' it means 'you shouldn't go left'; 

No. It really, really, really doesn't. 

The first is putting words to a gap in knowledge and implying the desire for clarity.

The second is giving a mandate and implying a level of certainty of knowledge.

Really, two extrememly different ideas. 

If you look at the two as being the same, it is clear that reaching any sort of mutual understanding will be quite difficult - we have fundamentally different understandings of language.

5 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If you look at the two as being the same, it is clear that reaching any sort of mutual understanding will be quite difficult - we have fundamentally different understandings of language.

Have you studied linguistics or a subject which includes linguistic? :-D Normally such statements don't come from people outside of the field, so I have to ask out of curiosity.

13 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

This is the problem with the interwebz. Lack of tone. 

When I said I don't get why people would choose to get into this hobby if they don't like painting,  I in no way meant to imply the "like I do" part that you added. Nor did I want to be read with the heavily negative vibe that "should go elsewhere" carries. 

All I'm saying is that there literally are better gaming choices out there if a player is into the gaming part of this hobby more than the painting part. Not that those players "should" go away or anything like that. 

Not hearing the words or seeing the facial expressions really makes it easy to misinterpret stuff. 

Fair enough. @Kirjava13 seems to have run into a similar issue with me as I did with you.

And I do apologise that my initial response was not as tempered as it could have been. And the rabbit hole we all went down. It's more often than not difficult to be someone in the AoS community who finds the 'hobbying' part of the hobby to be taxing rather than relaxing. There is a lot of pride taken in peoples hobby work that I'll simply never understand, the same way many hobbyist will never understand tossing out a skeleton you destroyed because you're so frustrated with that stupid fiddly kit and you need 40 of them to get the massive regiment bonus and once I get these stupid things built I'm priming them white, dipping them all, then silver weapons and red cloth because I'm so sick of these awful little punks. Or completely destroying Arkhan to the point where you have to mount him on an old pen casing because his old mount pose just isn't ever gonna happen again.

1 minute ago, Infeston said:

Have you studied linguistics? :-D Normally such statements don't come from people outside of the field, so I have to ask out of curiosity.

Not specifically or formally,  no.  Words, language, and all that goodness are just an area of passion for me. I've always been good with words, understood how they work, and so on.  I have a good education, a part of which is language-based. I'm also a writer (fiction, business, training, and other sorts) so I really sorta need to be good with words. My independent publishing and my full time job depend on me being able to convey and understand meaning. 

3 minutes ago, Burf said:

And I do apologise that my initial response was not as tempered as it could have been. It's more often than not difficult to be someone in the AoS community who finds the 'hobbying' part of the hobby to be taxing rather than relaxing.

No problem. I hear ya.  My bff is more into the gaming than the painting.  It's kind of a bummer since he's good at it.  He'd rather just play, though,  which is probably why we have played 50 or so games of Shadespire since its release and zero games of AoS.

5 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Well that's just sad and not a little hilarious ? 

I think the same thing about evertime I see someone pull out kairic acolytes or Black Knights, or Vanguard Hunters, or Grundstock Thunderers.

We all do silly things sometimes ;)

3 minutes ago, Mandano said:

looks like those are renown for skirmish

Ah jeah you are right. But normally you can derive the point costs from the renown point costs.

I could decipher that the Lord-Ordinator is 20 Renown and the Cave-Shaman 16 renown. So I would say the Fungoid Cave Shaman will propably cost 80 points and the Lord-Ordinator 100 points.

Can anyone confirm my observation?

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Preview from GMG.

Watched the settup on this and a bit of the battle...did anyone hear were the narrator said that the Heralds dont cost any points?..thought I heared that but cant seem to nail down the spot after going back a few times.

OK,,found it..yes the Heralds dont cost any points if the battle is played using the new Malign Portents rules,,even the matched play battleplans.

3 hours ago, Scythian said:

Matched play and points saved AoS from oblivion. Not a single AoS player in my area plays using the old AoS rules. You never never even hear it asked, and most players consider it unplayable without the matched play rules. Matched play has brought a ton of old players like myself back into the hobby and it’s definitely the future of AoS.

#fakenews!  People like to say this but there is no proof.  

1 minute ago, chord said:

Are there any reviews of the book up yet?  I'm hoping its a lot like the realmgate wars book (lots of lore, and battleplans with some rules)

They went over it a little bit at the start of the battle rep. but I skipped it because spoilers. 

45 minutes ago, mumperpa said:

Why the free harbingers though? It feels like a money grab by GW. I really didn't want to buy the Lord-Ordinator, but it seems like you're basically required to do so. 

Free Harbingers along with the new "command point like" card system encourages people to play in the new setting...its a great way to add another "mode" so to speak to competative play rather than playing the same matched play scenarios over and over while min-maxing the game down to nothing but hard knuckle competative lists,that usually leads to shrinking game communities and eventually a dead game in areas that it was once popular.

6 hours ago, Burf said:

You just said (paraphrased) 'why even play this game if you don't paint and model like I do' You heavily implied 2 seperate times that people who prefer the gaming shouls go elsewhere. 

Gatekeeping.

You shouldn't paraphrase in such a way that it alters the tone of the original statement and makes someone look like a ******.

edit:  apparently it bleeps the "J" word

I wasn't really expecting new zombies, but reboxing the old ones with round bases sort of makes me irrationally sad because it enshrines the current ones for a good while longer. I see that the corpse cart is up for preorder with two "options" (but oddly still with a square base) and I'm pretty sure it was just sold as a corpse cart before. Of course it's the same kit and I assume those options were always there and it's just new warscrolls for a particular build like the blood seeker palanquin, though less differentiation than that and actually just breaking out existing options for the most part(wonder if they'll have different point costs). Don't get me wrong, as a death player I'm ecstatic to be getting a battletome that looks like it will cover so much(GA death actually ends up with the most Battletome coverage for units at 100%, but at the cost of being the smallest GA), but GW working so hard to stretch whats already there still kind of feels bad when you see the releases the other GAs have gotten since AoS came out. Hopefully the manufaturing problems they were having has just delayed model releases(as was rumored to be the cause of the stutterstep Nurgle releases between Deathguard, Blightwar, and the eventual Daemons and AoS release this year).

In any case, I picked up Flesheater Courts starter the other day and have a Vampire Lord on Zombie dragon and some vargeists built and hopefully I can get them painted to be ready for action when order of the books and heralds gets in at the end of next week. Really hoping for one of the allegiances to meld my soulblight and nighthaunt decently.

I love how AoS is expanding , myself I am comeptitive player but I love to have armies painted to the highest standard and I love reading about lore. I just get great pleasure from playing against strongest armies and best players. I've been playing WFB since 5ed and it as only HE (I haven't play single game with other army).  - that's the best part of the hobby but I couldn't never understand people jumping from one army to another only to always play what's considered the best. 

I like how Malign Portents moves AoS in darker, more story driven direction. I'd love more personal stories and I hope we will get lesser know Characters (unlike gods like Malerion or Tyrion) who can dive narrative even more. I loved old fluff of Malus Darkblade, Vlad von Carstein, Eltharion (especially when he went blind ninja style - still got those White Dwarfes) and Malign Portents is step in right direction also price is spot on. Can't wait to get my hands on it even though I guess from competitve gaming it won't have many uses. 

Archived