Darkoath?

Mr. White

5 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

No gun powder. They have very different flavours,  the barbarian army might have the berserkers, the mammoths, wolves, tamed or forced monsterous  beasts.  The horsemen and marauder hordes, raider longships that could possibly  travel across realms like Wulfric's seafang.

the free people aren't as feral or wild, they live in fortified cities, have science on their side and gunpowder weapons.

Yes. But Mechanically I could build a list with the current Free Pepoles rules that could be modeled just like a Barbarian army. Just skip the black powder options. 

Iam willing to bet that within a few months of any Darkoath battleline show up, we see some pictures in the White Dwarlf of someone doing just this.. like duncan did with his acolytes making them into a free people's army 

AoSFreeCities-Duncan2yr.jpghttps://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/04/converting-your-own-free-city-oct-4gw-homepage-post-3/

Oh sorry, I thought you meant from a story point of view.  No I agree with you but I'd like to think the barbarians will make a nice basis and starting point.

ive got over 100 blood reavers to use as marauders and my marauders I've chopped about with beast men.

whatever happens I think it's win win for us who love to build models by throwing away instructions and just starting with a pile of parts on the table :)

I'm hoping for a better concept than just Norsica with the serial numbers filed off, they'll need a quirk about them, whether it's flying mounts, landships, shape-changers etc. so they stand out.

Darkoath implies some form of priestly blessing, so I'd expect Warshrine and the older Maurauders to get folded into the list, with maybe 1 - 2 new troopkits (Axe hurlers would be good) and 3-4 characters including the ones previewed.

Hope against hope is we get a mixed male / female new Maurauder boxed set and some decent skinwolf plastics

So, thinking conversions. The two darkoath models we have, have armor on their shoulders/chest, loin cloth, and fur boats, and lots of skulls. The skulls we can get added on to any kit. The issue, I think, is finding legs that are bare from the knee to waist. For a conversion, I think you need this part. The marauders and bloodreavers all have pants, the kairic acolytes have shirts/kilt things and few boots. I think kairic acolyte torsos work well, and fur can be easily sculpted onto boots, shoulder pads, etc. But where to find the legs! Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Thundercake said:

So, thinking conversions. The two darkoath models we have, have armor on their shoulders/chest, loin cloth, and fur boats, and lots of skulls. The skulls we can get added on to any kit. The issue, I think, is finding legs that are bare from the knee to waist. For a conversion, I think you need this part. The marauders and bloodreavers all have pants, the kairic acolytes have shirts/kilt things and few boots. I think kairic acolyte torsos work well, and fur can be easily sculpted onto boots, shoulder pads, etc. But where to find the legs! Any ideas?

Kairic Acolytes are the best bet, if you want boots then unfortunately it's a case of trimming the feet off and replacing with boots from Maurauders

I don't think Darkoath is going to be parts of Slaves to Darkness - in fact I think StD are one of the sub-factions that won't get anything new, but be there as a good filler for the God based factions.  My gut feeling is that they'll lumped in with Chaos but perhaps limited on the allies (perhaps no daemons).  Very much a faction that hates everybody - Sigmar abandoned them and the Chaos Gods tried to eat/warp/hump/kill them.  More than likely the models will be versatile enough to be used as alternative marauders or kit bashed into other models.  If going for a typical barbarian style, we'll likely have shaman, seers, warriors, elite warriors and a unit mounted on beasts other than horses.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I don't think Darkoath is going to be parts of Slaves to Darkness - (...)

Well, we have the Darkoath Warqueen, explicitly from the same faction as the Darkoath Chieftain - who belongs for now to the Slaves to darkness (cf. his warscroll).

Now that we have 2 Darkaoth guys, moreover both "boss" (so destined to have soldiers under them), it seems plausible that Darkoath will be a proper faction.

But then, why does the Chieftain warriors has, in place of the faction keywords "Chaos, Mortal, Slaves to darkness" and not "Chaos, Mortal, Slaves To Darkness, Darkoath" ? 

As you say RuneBrush, they may change faction and become their own, i.e. pure Darkoath (and we know the two Aelfs form Silver Tower are just named "Order, Alef" and will surely attached to another faction when the Alefs get their own Battletome). Or they will stay Slaves to darkness, and just replace the Chaos Marauders... (I hope not).

I think that "Dark Oath" is a certain aesthetic within a faction.  Almost a sub-faction, but not quite, as it is just a theme or style that can be used to guide players to making there army look or play a certain way within a theme.  Like how Seraphon can go all Saurus or all Skink; Stormcast can go all Vanguard in their army; how you can go Frost Sabres , Yhetees, and Hunters in BCR.  But not quite enough to make an entire faction (because Lion Rangers, Gargants, and Firebellies did?).

Anyways, I do like the new model.  It matches the other Darkoath, doesn't look sensationalist in any real way, and looks to be fun to paint.  I don't normally grab models up just to paint them, but I might in this case.  Would definitely be a good jusitification for testing out my possible Slaves to Darkness color scheme.

I'm going to make a prediction here and now. With GHB2 I was really sorry to see Wilfrick turned into an exalted champion. As you may recall he had seafang that let him outflank with marauders. We also lost the marauder outflanking battalion.

My prediction is that the warqueen will be a re-imagining of wulfrick.

At least I hope that's the truth, because I have an army centered around marauders and I'd love to be able to play it again ;_;

36 minutes ago, kahadin said:

I'm going to make a prediction here and now. With GHB2 I was really sorry to see Wilfrick turned into an exalted champion. As you may recall he had seafang that let him outflank with marauders. We also lost the marauder outflanking battalion.

My prediction is that the warqueen will be a re-imagining of wulfrick.

At least I hope that's the truth, because I have an army centered around marauders and I'd love to be able to play it again ;_;

Well the beastmen did get the outflanking stuff, so maybe Darkoath gets it..  Depends what other units they put in. 

Archived