How do you base old models?

Hi folks,

I'm actually building a bunch of old goblin-stuff like Spearchukkas, Rocklobbers and so on - not especially for gaming - more collection wise.  But I'm not quiet sure about how to base them. I love the fact that AOS has round bases now, but for some reason it feels strange on old Minis for me.  On a Stormcast - cool, on a Marauder dwarf - strange. How do you handle this?

I base all my stuff on rounds, because I can't stand to mix round and square in the same army. Of course for me they're primarily for gaming, but even for models that I don't have a game purpose for and are more for collection/display I still put them on round because I think it looks better.

Rounds all the way for AoS. 

Personally I think even the older Warhammer models look better on rounds than on squares in the game. Squares had their place in older Fantasy for ranking stuff up, but in this free flowing game they just don't quite feel right.

So I rebase all the way, even if it is a pain to pry them off their square bases.

I still have all my old metal orcs and goblins, and dark elves, on squares, but have recently ordered 60 25mm round bases with slots (40k) for my goblins with bows to ally with my Ironjaws. The rest will stay on squares until the time comes when I am inspired to use them in AOS.  The thought of rebasing lots of models is the great drawback.  If the Greenskins get some love, then basing here I come!

I'm only very slowly coming to rebase my own stuff, but for the most part I'm of the opinion that rounds just look better. Heck, my brets look so much better on rounds I want to finish rebasing them all even if the army gets dropped entirely!

But of course what looks good will vary from person to person and even to an extent from model to model, so I'd just go with whatever feels right for a particular project.

There were some rounds in classic Warhammer- Goblin Fanatics and such. But yeah, it’s hard to get used to at first; some models, like Chaos Warriors, are so clearly made to look good when ranked up that they seem a bit off freestanding on 32mm rounds.

I just spent a good chunk of time tonight preparing the base for my Great Bray-Shaman, one of the recent-ish clampack characters with a sculpted square base, and it took far more effort than it should to get it (almost) ready to glue down to a 32. It still needs a blob of green stuff under the middle, which is hollow, plastic glue around the edges, careful filing of the two corners that still stick out a bit and some fine slate scatter and texture paint work to blend it all in.

7D91A983-CB09-419D-A00E-ADBF5CDEB92A.jpeg

Yes, rounds are the way to go. I was a bit late to the party but I came to realise they are best both aesthetically and game play wise. If you do put them on squares I think you will want to rebase them in the future.

TGA has some stickied posts in this very forum to help you select the most correct base size for your project, if you can't find the appropriate base on the main Games Workshop site.

Archived