Nurgle blightkings good or bad?

Boomfrickle02

Hey guys.

I was looking into playing competitive nurgle, but I need a good strong army for 1500 points. My army so far is...

2 units of 10 plaugebearers (200)

2 units of 5 blightkings (360)

1 glotkin (480)

3 plague drones (220)

1 herald (120)

1 lord of plauges (120)

I think this is a great army, but I was wondering what all of you think. I really like the glotkin and lord of plagues with blightkings, but should I really have the plaugebearers? I like the fell of having tanks in My army, to me the slower the better (unless I am playing against Dwarfs or Skaven). Tell me what you think!

I would strongly recommend you to drop the lord of plague and the herald of Nurgle.

Speaking about blightkings i think they are ok. However the more i play them, the more i think i don't need them. In my plaguetouched list i often think that they do too less damage. Plus the more stormcast/sylvaneth and such high save armies the less they become effective.

In the end, while they are great butchering hordes i still think they could be way better. If you compare them to skullreapers there is no match between the two in terms of damage.

Also they are so slow, they are often the slowest thing in the army (together with plaguebearers)

Conclusion: goes to personal preference, i don't like them at the moment. Bounce off too many things.

20 plaguebearers-200

5 blight kings- 180

5 blightkings-180

glottkin-420

3 plague drones-220

harbringer of decay -140general

demon prince or nurgle- 160

***festus the leechlord-120

Keep glottkin in the harbringers bubble to give him that extra save. And hit Plagebeares with fleshy abundance and mystic shield if you ever need a solid wall.  

Have blight kings travel in 2 separate groups but next to each other to try to heal and deal mortals twice a turn. If they also stay within harbingers bubble that can make then even more sturdy.

Then you have demon prince roll with the drones to set off their keyword and gives you one of the best offensive combos nurgle has.

**if you want to make glottkin you general keep blightkings near him and bring Festus the Leech lord instead of harbringer to heal the glott every turn and have a killer spell to help murder higher saves.

the glott is awesome but also a big target. And with only a 4+ save ( no nurgle save for who the hell knows why) he can go down really fast if your not careful.

10 hours ago, shadowgra said:

They are a real steal at 320 for 12.

48 wounds with a 5+/4++ is a real anvil and costs nothing!

Haha in points maybe! 3 for £49 is insane! But still very cool models. Might get a set at some points just for skirmish purposes. 

If I play rotbringers/mortal nurgle..I bring a minimum of 20 blightkings everytime. They are tough as nails with a harbinger, chew through chaff, and are great at wearing down more elite troops. 

I hope there are ways to have their discharge abilit proc more in any new battletome. I also think a slight buff would be to have the blighted weapons ability trigger on 6s to wound and not hit. 

14 hours ago, Splitbristle said:

I love running Blightkings with the Harbinger for the extra save, I also make him my general and chuck Lord of War on him so the BK's Blighted Weapons goes off on a 5+.  xD

Yeah....without focusing on them, I think Blightkings are a worse buy than the same points in Chaos Warriors, but they're a great unit for buffing (lord of war + harbringer makes a big unit of blight kings a terror to deal with). 

I think you also want festus in the list if running blightkings, to help deal with high save units. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I hope there are ways to have their discharge abilit proc more in any new battletome. I also think a slight buff would be to have the blighted weapons ability trigger on 6s to wound and not hit. 

That would be a HUGE nerf (and not really make sense, since the effect is multiple hits). Not only do you roll less dice to wound, but there's no easy +1 to wound ability for chaos like lord of war (meaning no easy 5+ trigger). 

15 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Blightkings are a surgical scalpel that needs to be deployed correctly to be worthwhile. 

My experience has been the opposite - built right, they're a sledgehammer that demands your opponent to adjust their tactics (though I take a unit of 20 supported by plaguetouched, a harbringer, and lord of war so its a lot of points in a slow unit). 

3 hours ago, decker_cky said:

My experience has been the opposite - built right, they're a sledgehammer that demands your opponent to adjust their tactics (though I take a unit of 20 supported by plaguetouched, a harbringer, and lord of war so its a lot of points in a slow unit). 

A unit of 5 liberators with a 2+ rerollable save will hold up that unit indefinitely.

21 hours ago, decker_cky said:

That would be a HUGE nerf (and not really make sense, since the effect is multiple hits). Not only do you roll less dice to wound, but there's no easy +1 to wound ability for chaos like lord of war (meaning no easy 5+ trigger). 

nurgle's allegiance ability has +1 to wound, Epidemius re-rolls ones to wound, chaos warshrine lets your re-roll all failed wounds. Plague priest grants +1 to wound on a target unit (and prayers are not bound by rules of one)...

lord of war sucks. and so does the chaos allegiance ability. Why are you still using GA: chaos allegiance and not the nurgle cycle of corruption?

On October 31, 2017 at 4:15 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

nurgle's allegiance ability has +1 to wound, Epidemius re-rolls ones to wound, chaos warshrine lets your re-roll all failed wounds. Plague priest grants +1 to wound on a target unit (and prayers are not bound by rules of one)...

lord of war sucks. and so does the chaos allegiance ability. Why are you still using GA: chaos allegiance and not the nurgle cycle of corruption?

1. Command Traits like Cunning Deceiver, which stacked with the other penalties to hit in Nurgle makes your units fairly invulnerable for the first turn.
  2. Items, while toned down, still have a number of nice offerings including the Crown which gives you an extra battleshock immune unit 1/3 of the time and a 5+ ward save against Order.
  3. Nauseous Revulsion shuts off your mortal wounds output from Plaguetouched Warband, one of the best costed  battalion options we have.  
  4. Healing from Corrupted Regrowth has a limited effect on a Nurgle Mortals army.
  5. Unpredictable Destruction, while random and unreliable, is still a great boon to Blightkings and their exploding attacks.  The bonus to wound from Fecund Vigour offers no similar benefit in Nurgle Mortal armies (while granted it does have some benefit for Nurgle Daemon armies).
  6. If you go Chaos allegiance, you can grab things you can't normally ally in, like Blue Scribes (which can let you reliably cast Sayl's teleport and Glottkin's Vigor spells, something you wouldn't be able to do otherwise).  
  7. Finally, the Cycle of Corruption is utterly unreliable.  You don't get to choose where the cycle starts, so you'll be getting buffs sometimes when you don't need them while buffs that you definitely need could remain unavailable for entire games given the random character of the cycle.  Compare this to Fyreslayers who have a similar suite of abilities in their allegiance abilities...but they get to pick exactly when their buffs fire off.   In competitive play, reliability is really important and this mechanic is arguably less reliable than the Chaos Allegiance's ability.

Seven reasons. That seems pretty Nurgle-ish.  If I need to come up with 7 more for you, I could probably make that happen as well.  Until we get a full suite of Traits, Items, and Prayers, the Nurgle allegiance is DOA to me.  Once we get those other things, I'll evaluate Nurgle allegiance and, if that other stuff is strong enough, I'll run it and just ignore/not rely on the terrible Cycle mechanic like I do Chaos Allegiance's currently.

Archived