Firestorm Destruction

Fungrim

4 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

Essentially you build an army around orruks and grots then roll a d66 each battle or hero phase (not too sure) and get to use a free stratagem according to the result you roll

But can this army use allies, this is the question. e.g. what if a non-orc and non-goblin faction such as trolls can ally with both goblins and orcs? The allies rules suggest that this is fine, and won't break an allegiance. This new buttstomper allegiance or whatever its called should therefore be legit. 

It mentions nothing on allies in the book.  It just states the destruction faction can be made up from: bonesplittas, ironjawz, greenskins, gitmob grits, moonclan grits.  Don't have the book on hand but their is no mention of allies.  Their is also no points costs for these big formations as they aren't designed for matched play.   

It's not for matched play in that the big formations don't have points and some like the destruction one give no benefit.   The confusion is how you decide to play each game.  When you challenge another player you roll some dice based on muster points. D3 for each point and in open and narrative play your allowed 10 wounds per point rolled or 100pts per point rolled.  

Destruction is pretty odd in comparison to many of the other Allegiance abilities, very fluffy, but hard to use very well and very variable.

However, fluffyness is a good reason, and who wouldn't want a Bonesplitta Warlord with two JuJu head advisor!

So have we actually got anywhere re colour requirements and specifics about the ability....?

I know about the D66, but is it worth much at all? What kind of fun can ensue?

Colour-wise, do I need to paint all my orruks' teeth maroon or something?

I haven't had a chance to look at the book yet, my FLGS didn't get any in stock, but I ordered it through them.

Color/colour-wise, there is another thread in the Discussions sub-forum that is covering that topic, but I'll summarize my thoughts here:  ignore that ruling on having to paint certain colors on your models.  The hobby is expensive and time-consuming enough that you should not have to buy new models or repaint what you have in order to play a game with a new set of rules.  If GW wants us to have our models painted a certain way, then they should sell them pre-painted.  Because once custom color schemes become subject to officialdom, so do the other creative choices that can be made like conversions or custom bases.

If I wanted a paint-by-numbers kit, I would go get one.  Give me creativity and freedom any day.

5 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I haven't had a chance to look at the book yet, my FLGS didn't get any in stock, but I ordered it through them.

Color/colour-wise, there is another thread in the Discussions sub-forum that is covering that topic, but I'll summarize my thoughts here:  ignore that ruling on having to paint certain colors on your models.  The hobby is expensive and time-consuming enough that you should not have to buy new models or repaint what you have in order to play a game with a new set of rules.  If GW wants us to have our models painted a certain way, then they should sell them pre-painted.  Because once custom color schemes become subject to officialdom, so do the other creative choices that can be made like conversions or custom bases.

If I wanted a paint-by-numbers kit, I would go get one.  Give me creativity and freedom any day.

Agreed 100%, but I'm still curious as to what the requirements are exactly

It's been confirmed legal at this weekend's WHW Finals, so could be interesting...

5 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

It mentions nothing on allies in the book.  It just states the destruction faction can be made up from: bonesplittas, ironjawz, greenskins, gitmob grits, moonclan grits.  Don't have the book on hand but their is no mention of allies.  Their is also no points costs for these big formations as they aren't designed for matched play.   

it's allegiance, not formation. Allegiance don't have any point-cost 

1 hour ago, Fungrim said:

Agreed 100%, but I'm still curious as to what the requirements are exactly

It's been confirmed legal at this weekend's WHW Finals, so could be interesting...

According to the Army Paint Schemes for rules thread there aren’t any paint schemes listed or shown for the Death, Chaos or Destruction stuff.  Which is interesting. 

7 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I'll just buy it as I can't fathom all the terminology until I understand the campaign stuff. 

I got to the shop after work but its sold out until further notice apparently. So painted some goblins instead. 

10 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

According to the Army Paint Schemes for rules thread there aren’t any paint schemes listed or shown for the Death, Chaos or Destruction stuff.  Which is interesting. 

I can confirm this, the book actually says you need to paint using that warlords colour scheme in order to use the allegiance but never shows a colour scheme for anything other than the free cities in the book.

53 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

I can confirm this, the book actually says you need to paint using that warlords colour scheme in order to use the allegiance but never shows a colour scheme for anything other than the free cities in the book.

This. Most confusing :S 

Personally I am of the opinion these abilities should remain within the confines of a Firestorm campaign, where they are great fun and add to the narrative element. The idea of using the Destruction one in regular games is a bit weird tbh. You can include units with the following keywords;

Greenskinz
Aleguzzler
Bonesplitterz
Gitmob
Ironjawz
Moonclan
Spiderfang 

I am planning a day/weekend campaign with @Tom Hewitt, @Andy Talbot and @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary) to run through it and try it all out (think we will be allowing unpainted for this). Afterwards those guys will be doing a more lengthy campaign (I'm not very local to them) and I will be doing the same with @Paul Buckler, @Forestreveries and @Cowboy Boots Matt as we add an escalation format to the campaign with monthly painting targets. I'll be painting up my Phoenix Temple in the colours of the Phoenicium for this. The bonuses aren't great tbh, but it should be a lot of fun.

Sorry, bit of a tangent!

I'm not really understanding whats confusing. They brought out some extra allegiance boosts to general destruction allegiance which was weak in GH2017. They fixed the problem, and people are unhappy with it - mainly non-destruction folk, shocker. 

23 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I'm not really understanding whats confusing.

5 hours ago, Moonlightwolf said:

@Moonlightwolf's post is accurate and it's undeniable that this is pretty confusing.

There is surely no way that the abilities within the Firestorm book were designed and planned with general Matched Play in mind. Funnily enough out of all of them, the Destruction one is by far the most obscure in its interaction with this.

I do not subscribe whatsoever to the theory that this book is intended to balance Death and Destruction in Matched Play! They've only just released the GH2017 and given the high production value of Firestorm, this isn't something they have just knocked together quickly in response, it's a well refined and polished product.

The Community page decided to focus on the new allegiance abilities with their previews (I can see why, they are a cool focal point of the campaign) and ran with it that they were also for Matched Play and it's all spun out of control from there. Personally I wish they instead focussed on the great campaign system and left this as an isolated system outside of tournament play. @Fungrim is right, the actual purpose of the product has been completely overshadowed.

To think that they've confirmed to @Terry Pike that they will be enforcing the colour schemes at the GT Final is a very interesting precedent. As a TO I can't imagine going round and trying to tell people that their armies are the wrong colours, especially when the book offers very little guidance on this (compared to say, the Kharadron Overlords book which has excellent paint guides for each major Skyport).

All this aside, I for one can't wait to play some Firestorm campaigns and enjoy the cool rules within the vacuum.

Archived