Is this a good purchase for a beginner?

PowerCreep

I recently found a Warhammer Fantasy Battle starting box on sale for 35 pounds.

It comes with Dwarfs (dispossesed) and night goblins (gobos?):

Dwarfs

• Dwarf Thane
  • Dwarf Dragon Slayer
  • 12 Dwarf Warriors
  • 10 Dwarf Thunderers
  • 8 Dwarf Miners
  • Dwarf Cannon & Crew

Goblins

• Night Goblin Big Boss
  • Night Goblin Shaman
  • 40 Night Goblin Spearmen
  • 20 Night Goblin Archers
  • 10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders
  • Troll

Terrain

• King's Wall Obstacle Terrain
  • Dwarf Grudge Pony Terrain
  • Captured Dwarf Terrain
  • Idol of Mork Terrain

Gaming Supplies

• Pocket-Sized Warhammer Rulebook
  • Battle for Skull Pass Starter Booklet
  • Six-Sided, Artillery, and Scatter Dice
  • 2 Plastic Range Rulers and 3 Gaming Templates

My problems is that they come on square bases but I heard that in age of sigmar you mesure from models so  i guess that isn't a problem?

I just then need the Gh2017 so all in all do you think this is a good start?

(also if you know any miniature's size(from head to toe) please tell me)

Agreed, it sounds like a great deal.

Also getting the round bases you need shouldn't be both too difficult or expensive, so I'd suggest you set aside a little extra to get the right bases instead of dragging in square bases on a brand new army. You can probably buy them in bulk off fellow hobbists or you can get the bases from GW which is fairly inexpensive as is.

35 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

Holy ****** man I have no idea what 35 pounds is in dollars but I'd pick it up for sure.  You won't need the artillery dice anymore but the rest is just fine.

Are you sure all of gobo are usable in age of sigmar also do I NEED round bases?

26 minutes ago, PowerCreep said:

Are you sure all of gobo are usable in age of sigmar also do I NEED round bases?

I think all the goblins are usable. I don't know what the troll is, but all those night goblins are now Moonclan Grots and the spider riders are Spiderfang grots. On the Dwarf side I think you now count the Thane as a Warden King and the Dragon Slayers as an Unforged.  Thunders and Warriors are good as is. Artillery is fine, but not in the Dispossessed faction, but more of an annoyance and can be taken as allied. The Miners are really the only ones that a left out in the cold as a Compendium only unit, so they can't be taken as allies in a Disspossed army, but still legally playable in a generic order army.

34 minutes ago, PowerCreep said:

You don't NEED them.

But all GW minis from here on out are on rounds, and even if the AoS rules does not specify that you measure from the base, most events do, which makes the square vs round bases matter a bit more. I think it would be a shame to invest in AoS now and start basing it on square bases.

Also, as Ollie said, it just looks a lot better on rounds, I think :-)

34 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

You don't NEED them.

But all GW minis from here on out are on rounds, and even if the AoS rules does not specify that you measure from the base, most events do, which makes the square vs round bases matter a bit more. I think it would be a shame to invest in AoS now and start basing it on square bases.

Also, as Ollie said, it just looks a lot better on rounds, I think :-)

ok, i just can't imagine finding 120+ of them!

1 minute ago, Spiky Norman said:

I don't think that's unlikely. Ask here on TGA or your local hobbyist forum/group, and look on eBay.

Also GW sells packs of 100, so that's the quick wasy, but probably also the most expensive way.

Uhh i am not sure about this.

I am not a fan of small models, so I think ill just go for seraphon because they are so versatile so I can find out what style i want to paly with.

waht if I don't like hordes?then ill have to wait till christmass for another chance to get into the game :$

Also with so many round bases it turns out it is more expansive then to just buy start collecting.

I would go for the Seraphon! Personally I like the rules of them, the look is good and allows for a lot of painting possibilities. The start collecting is great value, and I think other people have mentioned to you how you can get a reasonably priced 1k army. What's not to love? :D

If you're not going to buy can you post a link to where it's being sold?

It might be worth noting that this is the 7th ed WFB starter set and there's pretty good demand for the miniatures it includes. If you bought it and sold the units individuals on eBay you'd make your money back easily and make enough of a profit on top of that to buy most of what you need for that Seraphon army you've been talking about.

I got round bases from an independent seller on e-bay, a lot cheaper than GW. 

However, If you think 35£ is a lot then this hobby might not be right for you. Building and painting an army can easily cost you a couple of hundred pounds. A seraphon monster alone is Probably more then 35£.

8 hours ago, elfhead said:

I got round bases from an independent seller on e-bay, a lot cheaper than GW. 

However, If you think 35£ is a lot then this hobby might not be right for you. Building and painting an army can easily cost you a couple of hundred pounds. A seraphon monster alone is Probably more then 35£.

oh I don't think it's A LOT, simple I want to get into the hobby right now, and because I am a teenager i can not afford to spend TOO MUCH on my first purchases?

17 hours ago, Screwface said:

If you're not going to buy can you post a link to where it's being sold?

It might be worth noting that this is the 7th ed WFB starter set and there's pretty good demand for the miniatures it includes. If you bought it and sold the units individuals on eBay you'd make your money back easily and make enough of a profit on top of that to buy most of what you need for that Seraphon army you've been talking about.

http://www.tcpaintingstudios.com/Store/store_whfb_index.html

Voila.

I'm giving up on it just because I don't really like small models have it all for yourself!

Also it's just for UK

Yeah figures. If it sounds too good to be true... :)

EDIT: So to be more helpful, if you're looking for armies that have more big models, you should look into the Beastclaw Raiders faction. Their Start Collecting box contains only 4 miniatures, but they're all massive. Another good choice is Ironjawz, which you can field 1000 points worth in less than 20 models if you so desire. Their starting box is also good value, containing 19 miniatures.

Archived