Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

It will be interesting to see how the Mortarch of Grief functions. What ideas do you have for her abilities guys? 

For statline a 11 wound/4+ could go a long way if she's ethereal (which I expect her to be), since it would make her that much tougher to take down, specially with any kind of regen like her fellow Mortarchs currently have. Her probably being a wizard with two spells could open up some interesting paths, and could mean we don't have to use Arkhan as much as an ally. 

Nighthaunt with a couple of vamps as allies and a Mortarch as a general could be all the spells we need! 

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, Ahn-ket said:

@bsharitt

WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct7sb.jpg

This one's are clearly Cairn Wraith so existing stuff witch get new models but you could be right that all models with roses on the bases could be part of something else

So these's guys are indeed not Cairn Wraiths, but in stead Grimghast Reapers.

Sorry if it's been asked but I'm on my phone and sitting on a train so my phone's a bit iffy with the whole surfing the interwebs thing...

Any chance I can use these in LoN or are they missing some keyword I need to field them as more than just allies?

5 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

Sorry if it's been asked but I'm on my phone and sitting on a train so my phone's a bit iffy with the whole surfing the interwebs thing...

Any chance I can use these in LoN or are they missing some keyword I need to field them as more than just allies?

You know...I have no idea. I would hazard a no, but they do have all the keywords that the current nighthaunt have.

2 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Actually you can't use them in legions of Nagash because you can only ally to fec and only use warscrolls in the battletome 

Well they clearly show the new models right next to current LoN models like Arkhan.

3 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

The Legions in Legions of Nagash specififies that you can only use units in the book(I can't recall if it specifies unit or warscroll, which would affect potential upgraded scrolls for the Black Coach and maybe others), so the new stuff won't be usable. I suspectthat LoN was meant to be a stopgap for death for a specific moment in time, but they don't want to have to take it into consideration as they expand the death ranges going forward.

If they don't change the LoN list as it stands, then currently you can't use any of the new Nighthaunt stuff in a LoN list as Nighthaunt can't ally with Legions and only the old Nighthaunt units are in the Legions list. They could always change things with the new edition of GHB2018 however.

Just now, bsharitt said:

The Legions in Legions of Nagash specififies that you can only use units in the book(I can't recall if it specifies unit or warscroll, which would affect potential upgraded scrolls for the Black Coach and maybe others), so the new stuff won't be usable. I suspectthat LoN was meant to be a stopgap for death for a specific moment in time, but they don't want to have to take it into consideration as they expand the death ranges going forward.

Ahh true. I suspect they'll FAQ LoN having Nighthaunt as allies then. They may have never bothered with the original book because Nighthaunt may have been really far out in release date, as compared to Deepkin allies.

Speaking of all of this, is there any point so far to the Malignant keyword? Sure it gives us a neat "Start Collecting" Box but so far it seems that the Mortis Engine is the only non nighthaunt model with the malignant keyword which does seem to do much of anything.

4 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

You know...I have no idea. I would hazard a no, but they do have all the keywords that the current nighthaunt have.

Well they clearly show the new models right next to current LoN models like Arkhan.

Yeah nighthaunt can ally with deathlord so all mortachs could allied to them but not other way around

Just now, AverageBoss said:

There could also just as easily be a short snippet in the allegiance section of the ne Nighthaunt book saying X units can be used in LoN, Y units can't. We will just have to wait and see.

Yes maybe they change the Legion paragraph to unit x, y&z could be included or it's said in nighthaunt tome unit x, y&z can be part of any legion

I've been planning a Nighthaunt army project for a WHILE now (blasted "real life" expenses getting in the way!), and these glorious new miniatures dropping within weeks of my birthday seems to be nothing short of a sign by the dice gods themselves.

Of course, I am the sort of man who would build a force comprised of the spirits of the unquiet dead, the souls of murderers, thieves and worse forced into eternal servitude to the God of Death... and name the Knight of Shrouds commander "Kaspar".... theme song included

In the faction focus they mention 

…Terrifying in Close Combat

Offensively, the Nighthaunt tear through foes with a deluge of mortal wounds, whether at range or with their Frightful Touch. No matter how armoured your foe is, you’ll be able to take them out.

Now I know frightful touch has always been a thing but their ranged game has been pretty sore except for banshees. Does this mention of mortal attacks at ranged mean we are gonna see a ranged death unit? Or are they still just talking about banshees?

13 minutes ago, PFI said:

In the faction focus they mention 

…Terrifying in Close Combat

Offensively, the Nighthaunt tear through foes with a deluge of mortal wounds, whether at range or with their Frightful Touch. No matter how armoured your foe is, you’ll be able to take them out.

Now I know frightful touch has always been a thing but their ranged game has been pretty sore except for banshees. Does this mention of mortal attacks at ranged mean we are gonna see a ranged death unit? Or are they still just talking about banshees?

My guess is the banshee and banshee like attacks from some of the new stuff, but I don't expect something that behaves like a regular ranged attack. Something along the lines of "Ghost makes spooky noises: on a four up select a unit to within 9 inches to take d3 mortal wounds", but nothing along the lines of a skeleton archer replacement.

I'm glad that the Nighthaunt are being setup as the Anti-Stormcast Squad, at least from a lore perspective. 

I'm also loving the whole 'ironic punishment' thing going on. Begs the question what happens to souls who were actually half-decent but weren't Chad enough to become Stormcast.

My hopes for the book, based on all my frustrations putting together a pitched-legal Death army:

1) Embrace the Mortis Engine get started box set.  ME in faction, point cost for "Spirits of Fellblood."

2) Nagash and friends can be taken as generals, new spell lists.

3) New Cavalry is new, complementing Hexwraiths (not replacing them).  

4) Warscroll options for Black Coach sculpt.  I already have a good conversion, would field 2.  Maybe one with wizard.

5) Battalion involving only cavalry (ME, BC, HW and new).

6) Nighthaunt specific scenery (I think the purple ghost cloud is, but the guess is the next part) with Nurgle garden-esque rules for summoning.  Collect souls, add nighthaunts.

7) Hexwraiths: Spectral Hunters has very limited range and use.   I want to see the mortal wounds and/or application improve.

8 ) Hexwraiths:  I see no reason why they shouldn't get a boost to charging distance (or base move speed) of some sort.  Literally nothing is slowing them down, but they are slower than Black Knights.  Might be part of #5.

9) Unquiet Dead carried over to Nighthaunt.  

10) Something reminiscent of possession. 

Let's see how many I get out of 10.

Archived