Let's Chat: Seraphon 2017

tolstedt

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

For starters your list is illegal because a Thunderquake requires a unit of Skink Handlers with your salamander :)

If you're running Thunderquake then you definitely want an Astrolith Bearer to reroll hits and boost your spell rolls + range. Since he cant move after planting your banner you dont want to include him in your list - summon him into position on the first turn.

Bastiladons are great but their damage output isnt great so you pay a lot of points for their defenses. The problem with running 2 Bastiladons is that you can only make one unkillable at a time because you can't cast multiple Mystic Shield. Whichever bastiladon is (relatively) vulnerable will get focused down (3+ rerollable is still killable!) and then you've spent 280 points and not done a lot of damage. 

I would recommend running a Stegadon instead of a 2nd Bastiladon. The stegadon is not as durable but it does more damage, moves further, its unique d6" movement ability in the hero phase is EXCELLENT since you can use it on himself or another unit after teleporting, and with the points saved you can add another salamander.

Handlers are listed right under the Salamander :)

Astrolith Bearer is an interesting call. I totally forgot about him, but it makes sense.

I'm not super sold on the Stegadon. Sure it's a bit better in melee, but I can't see its shooting being better than a Bastiladon on average, especially since two of it's guns need to be right on top of the opponent. Still, I see what you're saying about Mystic Shield, though I still think a 3++ with shooting is stronger than the alternative.

35 minutes ago, robertxtrem said:

I would disagree a bit with Pjetski, two bastiladons is the better way to go in my opinion. I would use the astrolith bearer only if you were using both basts with a solar engine otherwise I wouldn't bother. I would definitely reduce or remove the cavalry, as nice as it might be charging 15 in you may be better off using less or some skinks which allows those heroes. If you remove all 15 and split your skinks into 40/40/10 you can then add the starseer.

Slann

Starseer

Engine

Bast x2

Salamander and handlers

40/40/10 skinks

Hm, I kinda like the Cavalry just from the perspective of a relatively hardy space blocker, but I see your point. 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a tough call between the bastiladon and stegadon  but I usually go another bastiladon. Stegadon + bastiladon with ark of sotek can be nasty if you take  double -teleport as your command trait. If you think you are going to play a lot of horde armies then stegadon is great because of its sunfire throwers! 

I typically go second bastiladon only because you can keep one close to your engine and use it as  a shield with the savage being what you choose in the combat phase allowing it to re roll armor saves even if only on a 3+.  The other bastiladon I usually mystic shield and ship somewhere to be a road block.  

As good as the astrolith bearer is,  the majority of your units you can choose to be swift and get the re-rolls anyways; alternatively, if you change your constellation to that of the drake, then your skinks are hitting on 3+ rerolling 1s, same with salamders. The only thing that will vastly benefit is from the bearer is your magic range (but you can also channel through your engine) and your bastiladon shots (but you can choose swift too). 

However, I will say Pjetski is onto something about something the bearer - I have never tried that but summoning him into position does make a lot of sense.

I think for your other battleline it should be a minimal unit like 10 skinks or 5 saurus knights but skinks are usually better because you can invest that other 40 points in a salamander. They are good -2 rend d6 damage for 40 points (YES PLEASE) 

Hi all. I was thinking of how complete my new Idoneth army and then I started to think that there are very few models to choose. I was thinking on other animals army and I ended here.

I would like a 2k army that is competitive and good looking, with variety of models and I love love love the dinosaurs... Is it possible to make some competitive list with stegadon or something like that? I was thinking on buying 2 start collecting boxes and then go on. I think completing the 2k army on dinosaurs would be cheaper than 2k army of idoneth. Recomendations?

40 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

Hi all. I was thinking of how complete my new Idoneth army and then I started to think that there are very few models to choose. I was thinking on other animals army and I ended here.

I would like a 2k army that is competitive and good looking, with variety of models and I love love love the dinosaurs... Is it possible to make some competitive list with stegadon or something like that? I was thinking on buying 2 start collecting boxes and then go on. I think completing the 2k army on dinosaurs would be cheaper than 2k army of idoneth. Recomendations?

Hi,

Definatelly man! There are some nice competitive builds for seraphon and many of them include dinosaurs!

If you are going for the double carnosaur I would go order aliance with starpriest, beast battlemage and loremaster! This list gets you lots of 6 damage output but strugles with high armour armies, you can also add some rippers to this built ( 2 trex and 6 terodactils) 

Other option is Kroak and a thunderquake batallion, that gives you stegafons and bastiladons and the batallion combined with kroak is really good

Also you can take kroak and shadowstrike ( terodactils) 

So to answer your question DEFINATELLY! You can make cheap dinosaur competitive armies, just make sure you check the sinergies, as that is the big strength of seraphon

The best seraphon list at the moment is obviously to take 340 skinks and a slann. Get the rerolling 1s constellation, use the skinks to make sure no unit can physically get close enough to the slann to deal damage and your opponent usually quits during your first shooting phase.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:19 AM, Hoseman said:

Watch this battle report! It will give you an idea of how good dinosaur bulds are

50 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

I think a better competitive option for seraphon is a list around kroak. So kroak , astrolith, balewind vortex.  After that you can play with a shadowstrike, or thunderquake but kroak is the best start in my opinion:)

Kroaknado really hasn't posted as good of tournament results as standard lists, with LVO an exception.  Over the course of a 5 game GT you're too likely to encounter one of the many hard counters to Kroaknado.  Natasha is basically immune to the list and clown car will wreck your 710 point investment turn 1.  Fyreslayers have too many models for Kroak to kill considering their ward save.  So right there you have about 15% of the meta that will be dang near impossible to beat and then there are all the matches that are a tossup.  

Kroak once in balewind can't be charged, how can fireslayers deal with him? the only list that can counter kroak are shooting lists like skyre ( not that common at the moment) , maybe kunning list, thunderquake seraphon list ( teleport 4 salamanders and summon handlers near kroak, but this list is not commong at all). Every melee based list are not so good vs kroak

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Kroak once in balewind can't be charged, how can fireslayers deal with him? the only list that can counter kroak are shooting lists like skyre ( not that common at the moment) , maybe kunning list, thunderquake seraphon list ( teleport 4 salamanders and summon handlers near kroak, but this list is not commong at all). Every melee based list are not so good vs kroak

Because Kroak can't meaningfully damage vulkites, and they all have throwing axes.   They win on objectives with ease. And as I mistyped, Nagash easily counters Kroak with unbinds and a 4+ mortal save.  

Ye death in general is not easy for us. Anyway I suggest you to watch on twitch tv Thehonestwargamer channel. Darren Watson played a kroak game very intersting. The best move was chameleon skinks under the vortex ( chameleon ability don't count as movement and vortex is a terrein) Opponent can't charge them . It was a really fun game that show how to play kroak competitively:)

The "Intro to the Mortal Realms" teaser article for the new edition of Age of Sigmar (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/12/your-intro-to-the-mortal-realms-may-12gw-homepage-post-4/) has information about the different grand alliances. Specifically, there's an image that roughly defines what makes different factions fall within each alliance... (posted here for reference).

Quick question for my fellow dinosaur rememberers: If Grand Alliance Order consists of "empire builders, colonists and settlers," does that mean that our beloved lizards are full-on colonizing the mortal realms? Can I (gasp) hope for new models to be released in the future as new bloodlines are developed in the Mortal Realms?

Just some food for thought -- and some blind optimism, with caution thrown to the wind. But I'm curious if anybody else is seeing this through the same rose-colored glasses I am.

AoSRealms-May12-FactionInfograph7wv.jpg

Hey guys, i am going to start my first Seraphon army and would love to hear your opinions:

- Star Priest (80)

-Sunblood (120)

General

- Scar Veteran on Carnosaurus (240)

sunspeer

Artefact Phoenix Stone

- 10 Saurus Warriors (100)

with clubs

- 5 Saurus Knights (100)

with Lance

- 2 Razordorns (80)

- Bastilodon (280)

1000/1000

I thought the Sunblood would be a good General for his "weekness" command ability.  I have a Scar Veteran on cold one as well, should i take another General? The Scar Veteran on carnosaurus has a good ability too, i dont know. The sunblood sounds really good.

And are my Weapons alright so? This is my first army Overall and me and my friends will Play for the first time. so any tipps will help a lot ;).

1 hour ago, Vexcor said:

its hard to decide which General could fit in the most

It really is!

Welcome, and good luck with your army. I'm afraid I'm new enough myself to not be able to offer a great deal of list-building advice, but I do think that the general consensus is that the Seraphon-specific allegiance artefacts are better than the Order artifacts (which is what I presume a Phoenix Stone is). Good luck!

hi,

thx for your answer. the idea with the artefact Change is a Thing. maybe i could give the Scar Veteran on Carnosaurus an other, coronal shield and blade of realities both sounds not to bad.

4 hours ago, Christopher Rowe said:

It really is!

Welcome, and good luck with your army. I'm afraid I'm new enough myself to not be able to offer a great deal of list-building advice, but I do think that the general consensus is that the Seraphon-specific allegiance artefacts are better than the Order artifacts (which is what I presume a Phoenix Stone is). Good luck!

Phoenix stone is a GA:Order artifact.  If you were to take it you may as well take the Seraphon specific one that will just resurrect the bearer(Incandescent Retrices?) instead honestly.

Edit:  That may be a Slann specific artifact, havent been playing my Seraphon much lately so i'm a bit rusty. :)

Its worth noting that the Phoenix Stone heals you in every hero phase - not just your own.

On a big relatively tanky model like a Scar Vet on Carnosaur it can add up to a lot of healing over the course of the game.

mmmmh, so phoenix Stone on scar Veteran on carnosaurus could be an Option.

the Thing is, i dont know what model should be the gerneral in this list:

the car Veteran on carnosaurus?

the sunblood?

scar Veteran on cold one?

If you're lucky enough to be able to play often, my advice would be to try them all and see which you like best.

If, on the other hand, you're like many of us and don't get to play as often as we'd like, I'd pay special attention to the command abilities and synergies that each of your choices offer when measured against your battlelines and other units. You're preferred play style will factor in as well, of course. If you're going to smash right in and get into close combat as soon as possible--and your list of available models seems to make that a viable choice--I'd consider the Scar-veteran on Cold One, keeping the model close to your unit of Knights, for example.

Fellow Seraphon players, is it just me or did Geedubs forgot that Seraphon even exist around the time of Malign Portents campaign?

I'm starting to think that if we don't see new army feature soon in warhammer-community article, they might be on their way to join Khemri and Bretonnia soon...

7 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

Fellow Seraphon players, is it just me or did Geedubs forgot that Seraphon even exist around the time of Malign Portents campaign?

I'm starting to think that if we don't see new army feature soon in warhammer-community article, they might be on their way to join Khemri and Bretonnia soon...

I doubt it.  Seraphon have a fairly new range of models and a place in AoS lore.  Bretonnia and Tomb kind have neither of these.  Seraphon have a battle tome and got one of the most substantial rules updates in GHB2017.  Again, Brets and TK have neither of these.  

I'm a little surprised Seraphon aren't more popular.  Carnosaur, Bastiladon and Stegadon are some of the coolest models out there and the variety the army offers provides tons of list building opportunities.

8 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I doubt it.  Seraphon have a fairly new range of models and a place in AoS lore.  Bretonnia and Tomb kind have neither of these.  Seraphon have a battle tome and got one of the most substantial rules updates in GHB2017.  Again, Brets and TK have neither of these.  

I'm a little surprised Seraphon aren't more popular.  Carnosaur, Bastiladon and Stegadon are some of the coolest models out there and the variety the army offers provides tons of list building opportunities.

Agree!

The main reason was rules! They wherent significantly powerfull enough for competitive play, however that has changed and a lot of people have started this army.

On February the start collecting for seraphon  was one of their bestsellers on their website.

I don't think they are disappearing, but I do think its going to be a while before the models get updated.... Elves took 2 years ( and are one of the main races) slanesh have not yet gotten their models, and neither sKaven, and if you want a more extreme case there are the sisters of battle for 40k that took like 10 years.

I think we just have to be patient and continue asking for updates in their social media page, if there is interest they will work on it, and I think there is interest

On 5/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, PJetski said:

Bringing an Astrolith Bearer lets you pick savage AND still reroll hits.

So you can reroll hits, wounds, and saves - this is what makes Thunderquake a top tier list!

Don't suppose you could expound on what a 2k Thunderquake list might look like?

I haven't eyeballed AoS in some time and I'm feeling the Dinosaur itch.

Archived