Rogue Idol back

Caffran101

Forge World are bringing back the Rogue Idol model, and with it what appears to be a new warscroll: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads/Rogue-Idol.pdf

By the looks of it, the points cost has been reduced by 80 points to 400 points (perfect as an alliance?) - but this has come at a nerf to the warscroll.

The rogue idol can no longer run and charge. And now makes less attacks with its "stompin' feet".

There are some buffs: When you charge you can reroll the hit rolls of the fists. The "Livin' Idol" buff now affects KEYWORDS "Orruks" and "Grots", rather than "Greenskins" on the previous scroll.

My opinion is that the removal of the "run and charge" mechanic is not great - especially for a model whose base run speed is based off a dice roll.

Open up to debate - Would you use this in your army?

Personally I find it hard enough deciding between adding Spiderfang and/or trolls to my Moonclan as it is, I don't think a third addition will be considered. The buffs it provides seem quite minor? So what would it's role be? A big tanky beatstick? What value does it have over the giant squig? I guess it is an alternative to adding 6 trolls as they both achieve something similar - adding tankiness (and some damage) to your otherwise cowardly and low-armor goblins. 

Seems aesthetically cool though. I've not seen it in action in other Warhammer games before so find it tricky to understand it's role. 

I think it would be a good addition to an Ironjawz army.

Near a Shaman and a blob of other Orruks you can cast foot of gork on a 7! Which makes that spell more viable.

The 16" bravery bubble is excellent for Ironjawz as well. Bravery problems seem to be a common issue for them, although if it dies the problem becomes worse. 

Its nice and durable thanks to its half wounds ability and despite the nerf it still has good damage output. It may be a little dangerous to keep it too close to your main force as it can damage you when it moves.

I for one see some potential with this model and perfectly pointed as an ally in 2k games as well. I can't wait to try it out!

5 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I love the keyword change to Orruk. I must admit that I was dreaming of him getting the Bonesplitterz keyword but I will be happy with him buffing my savage casters.

Fluffwise he's probably one of the few monsters that actually works with the Bonespitterz. Didn't even think of that! 

True story when GW brought out stomper rules I scratch built one, as I neared completion they brought out a model. I've been scratch building a Rogue Idol and I am nearing completion and guess what? ?????.

Great to see this back though great price and it's just such an Orcy thing. The whole idea just fits them so well. I think it's worth a plastic kit to be honest but it's a good model as it is.

At 400 points and synergising with all Orruks this is going to see a bit of use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like a ton of fun and I'm considering it as part of a Greenskinz force which could really benefit from the good rend and damage potential.  

The HUGE variability in its offensive potential will turn off many competitive players I think.  I suspect that I would use 2 gargants more often to provide something similar and at a lower cost.  

The bravery penalty from Livin' Idol if the idol dies does cause me some pause.  Destruction doesn't exactly have bravery to spare.  On the other hand, it's pretty resilient as its effectiveness doesn't really dip until it has taken 9 wounds, and combined with a 4+ save and the halved wounds ability (Da' Big Un) means that the idol will get several turns to inspire the boys by stompin' something hopefully.  This resilience could be really great because although I'm having a blast with my Gargant, it's performance declines pretty rapidly.

I fail to see a scenario where fielding the Idol won't result in some great moments, stories and laughs.

Thought that I would also add that the Idol looks pretty awesome for Grots, as the idol's 2 abilities that cause mortal wounds to your own units by keeping them close to the Idol would be of trivial consequence.  The cheap Moonclan Shaman also has nice synergy from the Idol casting bonus and "automatic" mystic shield on a 3+ when the mushrooms go off.  Curse also becomes pretty reliable on a 5+.

The visual of little Grots with big monsters has always been one of my favorites.  The Idol also fits with the mountain and subterranean themes that the Moonclan has kept so far.

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Personally I think it's great!

Working as an ally at 2,000 points and buffing the Bravery of Ironjawz is a perfect combo for me. I will finally be moving my Rogue Idol modelling project right near the top of my hobby list!

Yeah I immediately thought it would be great for a 2k Ironjawz. Bravery buff and on top that a huuuuuge distraction 

2 hours ago, Xelotath said:

Fluffwise he's probably one of the few monsters that actually works with the Bonespitterz. Didn't even think of that! 

Yeah since they are crazy religious zealots a walking manifestation of their god would work well with them

I am wondering too about how too ally it. As everyone has a list of possible allies and im not seeing any generic monster keywords in possible allies

I'll have to take a better look at the Warscroll, but he seems fun at least! A great modelling project for sure, as this seems like a model that is perfect for kitbashing/sculpting from scratch. Just gotta find out how big that base is...

So, the two issues I can see with the warscroll, are both it's damage reduction (Da Big 'Un) and the bravery buff on Livin' Idol. When compared to our other damage reduction moster, the Stonehorn with it's Stone Skeleton ability to "Halve any damage and mortal wounds inflicted on this model (rounding up)." Da Big 'Un has the downside of halving damage characteristic on weapons. I'm assuming that this is more what the 'Stone Skeleton' ability is actually supposed to do, as wounds are supposed to be dealt out individually. So a scenario of 6 attacks by 1 damage weapons would do 6 damage, but 3 attacks by 2 damage weapons would do 3 damage total, due to damage being applied separately in each instance. Though this does raise a good question: What will Half damage characteristic look like on a D3 weapon? Will it go to D2 or 2 (since we round up)? Regarding Livin' Idol, it's more a rules issue, that units must be "wholly within 16" of this model." I'd be measuring from the base (since that's what we do in my FLGS), but it does mean that if 1 model is outside that bubble, then the unit doesn't get the bonus.

39 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I am wondering too about how too ally it. As everyone has a list of possible allies and im not seeing any generic monster keywords in possible allies

He has the Greenskinz keyword, so I think most things in Destruction will have that in their allies group.

16 minutes ago, domus said:

The damage reduction change is a big change.   Dmg 1 units can actually inflict some dmg now. 

Yes this is a huge change.  It made me wonder if this new wording is a better overall way to do this type of mechanic.  Gives some protection but does not basically double the wounds needed to put something down.  Maybe the Stonehorn could go this way? Interesting to consider anyway.

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Awesome news Overall to cap a great week!

From vague memory it's not possible to ally Grots with Greenskinz, but no loss as they don't have an allegiance pack anyway.

At 400 points it's definitely viable.

Greenskinz are an ally of Moonclan in the Warhammer Community preview.

Archived