Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

2 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Considering the witches and heroes have higher bravery than other battleline troops, I'd imagine that it goes off frequently, except versus things like daemons and undead... mortal chaos, humans, other aelves, beasts, skaven, stormcast, all have lower bravery than a blob of 30 witches (7 base + 3 size bonus = 10).

Size bonus only kicks in for battleshock tests, though, so wouldn't apply here.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Ah, true.

But 7 bravery is still higher than most other battleline.

My issue is that against battleline units,  witches have no need for mind razor.  They're going to kill it pretty reliably if you've got a 30 block (with a few exceptions).  The high armor stuff where that extra rend really makes a difference tend to have 9 or 10 bravery.  

3 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

My issue is that against battleline units,  witches have no need for mind razor.  They're going to kill it pretty reliably if you've got a 30 block (with a few exceptions).  The high armor stuff where that extra rend really makes a difference tend to have 9 or 10 bravery.  

I wouldn't think it's bad at ALL against hordes of buffed up Liberators, Warriors of Chaos, Vulkites, etc.  Also, then I'd throw it on Morathi instead, with her 9 bravery.

First it's easy to manipulate Bravery - Shroud of Despair, terrain. Then it depends who are you playing against, sure against something like KO it won't better, but snakes are awesome with it against Putrid Blightknights as as long as they are near Cauldron they are Bravery 9, also Morathi, SlaughterQueen are Bravery 10. The thing with Mindrazor is that rend alone is huge bonus and you can cast on anything and it will be much better. 

I think lone Avatar is nice idea and generally overlooked but you got to build an army around it as it needs those 3 prayer casting leaders I'm thinking about fitting one espiecally with extra save from HagNarr as he doesn't work well with Kheilbron as it will be hard to teleport and animate him in turns 1&2. 

So far I'm liking Bloodwrack Shrine a lot for 220 it's very cool model - it's great against hordes, has a lot of attacks, some extra mortal wounds output and makes Medusa quite resilient. 

2 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Damnit...I'm going to end up buying another Blood Coven Box, aren't I?

I guess when we eventually play that Apocalypse-sized game the other players here are pushing for, I'll have a lot of Death on Wheels to put down.

I've just started as well - with a blood coven box, I also think my next step will be to get another box! Want a Hag Queen on foot!

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

Unfortunately Blood Coven Box are apparently discontinued. It's a bit of a struggle to find one as of today.
It's a shame, cause it's truly amazing in terms of value ?

Let's hope we see a start collecting box soon. But I imagine it won't be soon.

I was lucky to grab a Blood Coven last week, but ideally I would have wanted to get another next month as well.

It makes DoK one of the more $$$ to collect

11 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Well, maybe I better grab the one sitting on the shelf here...

I sure would.  I went on vacation a month ago with the intention of buying the blood coven at my flgs.  When I got back ten days later or was gone.  ?

I suppose the question is whether the Blood Coven box would stick around when there will presumably be a Start Collecting set coming down the road at some distant point.  Now that the DoK have more than, like, three kits total they can probably make a more balanced £50 starter box (Though I guess the lack of stand-alone hero kit makes that tough).

For those of you using Sisters of Slaughter, what load out are you doing at different sizes? I want to take advantage of the bucklers, but dropping to two attacks seems like it seriously reduces their offensive effectiveness. Thinking a 30 with dagger and whip and a 10 with buckler and whip in a Slaughter Troupe right now.

Has anyone found success with big blocks with the buckler and whip?

1 hour ago, Maddok said:

For those of you using Sisters of Slaughter, what load out are you doing at different sizes? I want to take advantage of the bucklers, but dropping to two attacks seems like it seriously reduces their offensive effectiveness. Thinking a 30 with dagger and whip and a 10 with buckler and whip in a Slaughter Troupe right now.

Has anyone found success with big blocks with the buckler and whip?

I use one block of 10 with whip and dagger in a 1K and last game in a 1,5K list. Partly because of battleline, and having a separate unit to go somewhere. But also to keep near my small unit of witches for some cheeky extra 6" pile in shenanigans and forcing your opponent to split attacks. But it's all not very competitve here, and even in that scene it was a lot of hassle to make it work without a much of an reward :S 

Hey guys,

Sorry for the incoming wall of text ?. I’ve played WHFB about 15 years ago. I recently started getting into AoS and as an old Druchii player I selected Daugthers of Khaine as my starting army. I’ve been lurking in this forum for some time now and I am writing this post, because I need your advice.

My first goal is setting up a 1000 pt. army. I already bought a Blood Coven box and a box of Witch Aelves. I am now trying to figure out which list to build starting with those models. My first list looked something like this:

Slaughter Queen on Blood Cauldron (General)

Hag Queen

Medusa

2 * 10 Witch Aelves

5 Blood Sisters

5 Heartrenders

This would give me the Slaughter Queen’s command ability, witch brew, mindrazor, two prayers and the Cauldron of Blood protection aura. The general opinion seems to be that Blood Sisters and Heartrenders are very good and I also really like the models. The problem of this list would be the small unit sizes.

With the planned changes to the command ability system, it might not be necessary to take the Slaughter Queen as a general to get her ability. If that were true, I would probably build a list looking more like this:

Bloodwrack Shrine (General)

Slaughter Queen

Hag Queen

Hag Queen

20 Witch Aelves

10 Blood Sisters

5 Heartrenders

This would give me the same buffs, plus more witch brew and prayers, minus the Cauldron of Blood protection aura. I could also field bigger units and more Blood Sisters. From my unexperienced point of view, I really like the second list, but I feel like skipping the Cauldron aura might be a bad idea.

If Slaughter Queen on Cauldron is still the way to go, the first list could also be adapted by making the Medusa the general, which would allow me to combine the Witch Aelves and still field a Cauldron at the cost of a much squishier general.

So I wanted to ask you guys on your opinion on these lists and on the Bloowrack Shrine vs. Blood Cauldron debacle. Which one do you prefer (with possible changes to the command ability system in mind)?

It really depends on which style of Daughters you prefer. There’s basically the snakes and Medusa’s faction which center around the inner sanctums of the temples. Then, there’s the variation of witches, including sisters of slaughter, which make up the mainstay of most Daughters armies. Finally, there’s the most commonly used mixed force of snakes and witches. Whichever one you choose, Daughters are a VERY expensive army to play. Not to mention, they are a pro painters dream and an amateurs nightmare. Consider style, cost, and artistic capabilities when preparing this army for play. Personally, I’m an all snake guy with the Bloodwrack Shrine General. I support the snakes with Hag Queens for the witchbrew and prayers. Lastly, I have air support from two units of 5 Heartrenders. Cauldrons are more for witches or mixed style armies, but are too expensive point cost wise for what I use. Here’s some pics of my Daughters Snake army.

7D8F8722-CC89-4637-ADA5-61B7C8846342.jpeg

C716D928-52EF-43D2-934C-B080AE1E121E.jpeg

013A268E-0ECA-4AA2-809B-E50886782326.jpeg

47E4859C-5E31-46B1-9576-A43B31A5E129.jpeg

EABD40F8-53FD-41A7-BEEE-426F382EF78C.jpeg

The books been out for a couple months now, anyone have any detail how the army is performing on the tournament scene? 
any success stories? I'm curious to hear some positive and negatives to the army competitively.  

Hello,

Starting a DoK army, and got two Blood Coven boxes in the mail. Aiming to build one with slaughter queen and one as a Bloodwrack Shrine. But what base sizes should I put the extra models on?
Slaughter queen 25mm?
Hag Queen 25mm?
Bloodwrack Medusa 40mm?

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you for your detailed response Scythian. I've seen your awesome snake ladies and their battle reports before ?. They are one of the reasons why I want to include Blood Sisters into my army.

Consider style, cost, and artistic capabilities when preparing this army for play.

Well I'm probably far beyond this point, since I already chose the Daugthers ?. I don't consider costs or artistic capabilities to be a problem. I really enjoy painting those great models, even if they are a bit more tricky than lets say Stormcasts. From a style perspective I did make the decision that I wanted to field witches (basically the link to the past), but also some of the other great models, which is why I will probably end up with a mixed force.

However, since I don't have the possibility to playtest until my army is finished, my questions stem more from a gameplay perspective. Like I said before I really like the second set of models I posted, but I'm lacking the experience to evaluate how good this list is going to work. Since you already fielded  a single Medusa and a Bloodwrack Shrine:

Did you ever have the feeling you were missing the Cauldrons Blood Shield? How useful is it actually?

Would a single Medusa without Shrine be to squishy to act as a general?

Archived