Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

Took a break from AOS for awhile came back for DOK. Played a few games today.  A temple nest and a unit of warlocks. Played against nurgle ( all blight kings and plaguebeaera) and against an all squig army ( gobba, three sorceror dot whatever they are called, herder and tons of squigs). 

Granted im just coming back to AOS from 40k but for a glass cannon type army, it felt more just like glass to me with no cannon. I have two cauldrons to build yet.  I do have morathi. And some sister. And one more box of snakes. Also have two boxes of  khinerai.  

Any list building tips?  I ideally wanted mostly snakes but I don’t know how well that will work out. 

Thanks

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like on paper Temple nest will have a bad time against nurgle, due to their shrugging mortal wounds. The blightkings would need to be stopped before they reached you.

For mostly snakes you could consider bubble wrapping them in witches. Let them get charged, then elect to fight with the blood sisters and pile in with the 3 inches.

So the main benefit being in turn three they get reroll all failed wounds. Is the big unit size so that they make it to turn three Alive?  What size do you typically use 10-15? What’s the benefit of one big unit. Isn’t it just a massive target vs running a bunch of min sized units?   

27 minutes ago, Thor0298 said:

So the main benefit being in turn three they get reroll all failed wounds. Is the big unit size so that they make it to turn three Alive?  What size do you typically use 10-15? What’s the benefit of one big unit. Isn’t it just a massive target vs running a bunch of min sized units?   

There's little risk in running a big squad of girls because the hag queen witchbrew can make them immune to battleshock. Witchbrew gives you reroll to wound. Hag Narr gives you reroll to hit turn 3 bloodrites otherwise it's reroll hits of 1.

1 minute ago, Qaz said:

There's little risk in running a big squad of girls because the hag queen witchbrew can make them immune to battleshock. Witchbrew gives you reroll to wound. Hag Narr gives you reroll to hit turn 3 bloodrites otherwise it's reroll hits of 1.

And if you keep it next to your general/cauldron of blood the unit has a 4+ 5++ (potentially rerolling).  So your opponent is stuck between a rock and a hard place: don't attack it because it's tanky and face its high damage, or sink all their firepower into it, leaving your other units to do what they please.  

3 hours ago, Thor0298 said:

Ah hat makes sense. Thanks for all the tips I really appreicate it.  Which cauldron do you guy like best? 

It depends safe bet is Slaughter Queen as a General on Cauldron as she's just awesome - she buffs your unit, hard to take down (Especially with Hag Nar) cool CA. If you want to take more snakes then Bloodwrack Meudsa Shrine is good as general but then I think you will need Hag Queen on Cauldron anyway.  So if you got to assemble one as Bloodwrack Shrine and other as Hag/Slaughter Queen Cauldron. 

Also from what you described you have you can assemble quite a cool army : Morathi, Bloodwrack Shrine General, Hag Queen Cauldron, Blood Sisters as Battleline, then Warlocks, Khinerai and Stalkers. 

12 hours ago, Thor0298 said:

Took a break from AOS for awhile came back for DOK. Played a few games today.  A temple nest and a unit of warlocks. Played against nurgle ( all blight kings and plaguebeaera) and against an all squig army ( gobba, three sorceror dot whatever they are called, herder and tons of squigs). 

Granted im just coming back to AOS from 40k but for a glass cannon type army, it felt more just like glass to me with no cannon. I have two cauldrons to build yet.  I do have morathi. And some sister. And one more box of snakes. Also have two boxes of  khinerai.  

Any list building tips?  I ideally wanted mostly snakes but I don’t know how well that will work out. 

Thanks

What was your list exactly?  How many points?  What was the enemy list?

Temple Nest is great but you NEED buffs on your combat units.  Mindrazord, Witchbrew, Catehism of Murder... From round 3 onwards those Blood Sisters will be hitting on 3+, rerolling 1s, 6s doing 2 hits, wounding on 3+, rerolling fails, -2 rend, possibly 2 damage... mortal wounds on a 4+, rerolling 1s, 6s doing 2 mortal wounds, etc.

Gotta stack the buffs, it's what the army relies upon.

On 22-3-2018 at 6:35 PM, Kaleun said:

it is kind of a strange choice. With the 2" reach the SoS would be better behind a 1" range Witch elve squad. So the witches would stand in front of the SoS. Then the Witches should maybe have the bucklers and right behind two rows of witches the 2" range/6" pile-In behind them?!?

That’s what i’m going for. 10 sosters with dagger behind 10 or 20 witches with shield to hold up a flank while 1 big block sisters with dagger goes the other way 

I finished big Morathi, my painting is always a little bit too slap-dash to do large models like this real justice, and I'm really not good at painting giant bat wings, but it was still a lot of fun.  Unfortunately my gaming group is moving to a smaller points level for a while, so I probably won't be able to really squeeze her on the board for a bit!  (Though I guess that means I won't have to try and find a transport method which wont snap off any of her many spindly bits...)

fqnH77q.jpg?1

miIhcFE.jpg?1

aYW0BoC.jpg?1

I think I am going with Blood Sisters after few more games with their Bravery of 8 near Cauldron they almost always have higher bravery so they are great Mindrazor target. 

I got two lists and will test them next both are HaggNar 

List 1

Bloodwrack Shrine General with Amulet of Fire and Steed of Shadows/Shroud of Despair Spell, Hag Queen on Cauldron with 2 spells prayer (FF rerolls and Crimson Rejuvenation) Hag Queen with Sacrament of Blood, Morathi,20 Blood Sisters, 30 Sisters of Slaughter, 10 Sisters of Slaughter, Slaughter Troupe, 2x5 Heartrendersm

Second list is Slaughter Queen on Cauldron, 2xHag, Morathi, 30 Witches, 2x10, 10 Blood Sisters, 2x5 Heartrenders, 5 Warlocks

I think first list could be better with 2 Shrines also I got some flexibility as I can cut Slaughter Troupe and add more bodies or more Heartrenders. There is also matter of times with Slaughter Troupe as I can go with Shadow Stone on Medusa and Amulet of Fire on Cauldron. 

I think Bloodwrack Shrine is somehow overlooked but again in HaggNar it's quite good as your spellcaster now has 13 wounds with extra FF save.  It's nice against hordes with some extra mortal wounds possibility. Apart from one Hag Queen this army is also very hard to snipe out as you need a lot of resources to kill those Cauldrons from afar. Steed of Shadows is nice mobility boost, Shroud of Despaired on the other hand gives me another tool to go with Mindrazor as Blood Sisters with it should have extra damage against Bravery 9-10 units. 

Snake army had wins against Blades of Khorne, Mixed Order with dragon lord and 2 frost phoenixes,  Chaos Dwarves (My favorite opponent), and Fyreslayers. The combats were BRUTAL in all of my games. These games were pure hamfisted slobber knockers!  Snakes were amazing in all of their combats and just devastated everything they hit. 

41 minutes ago, Scythian said:

Snake army had wins against Blades of Khorne, Mixed Order with dragon lord and 2 frost phoenixes,  Chaos Dwarves (My favorite opponent), and Fyreslayers. The combats were BRUTAL in all of my games. These games were pure hamfisted slobber knockers!  Snakes were amazing in all of their combats and just devastated everything they hit. 

So glad your flavorful army did well.  I suspect even kunnin rukk would fall to a more tournament optimized snake list.

@GammaMage That must have upset the poor Ironjawz player. I've had really bad luck getting spells off in all my games so far so I haven't really got to do anything cool with Mindrazor - the combats where I did manage to cast it were all ones I was going to win easily anyway.

I played my first couple of games with Temple Nest / Khailebron at the weekend. I was a little bit limited by my available models as I have 20 blood sisters and 10 blood stalkers - I would have liked a few more sisters for a proper playtest of the battalion but the army worked pretty well filled out with witches.

It seems like a solid choice though. OK there is a lot of ways to get re-roll 1's to hit but there are also lots of units that don't have it. I bounced back 9 mortal wounds at one point!! - unfortunately against Fyreslayers so they saved 6 of them with their 4+ ignore.

I actually got a pretty solid victory against the ginger gits for once (i hate playing against them sooooo much!) They did the usual tunnel shenanigans with 30 hearthguard & 30 vulkites but the -1 temple ability took the edge off the firesteel axe barrage & hearthguard shooting and I was castled around a CoB at that point so they did't do that much damage and were then nicely positioned for a counter attack and in range of bloodwrack stares from my medusae. The ability to do damage all the time with shooting, spells, combat and rebounding wounds from temple nest, bucklers and martyrs sacrifice was really useful for getting those pesky vulkites down below 20 models!

I'm in 2 minds about the blood stalkers. Which may ultimately stop me playing TN very much. 160 points is a lot for what you get back.

a) Its great having a couple of units that can stay back guarding objectives and actually contribute some damage while doing it.

b) the damage out-put is not that great and the unit is not very versatile. I was doing more or equal damage with 80 pt heartrenders.

I think that 320 points is better spent on a couple of units of Doomfire warlocks - gets you 2 more wizards, a powerful damage spell, extra mobility and still retains some shooting and combat capability.

2nd game I lost against SCE. I deployed badly and he had some good luck on critical dice but at the end of the day I just got outplayed. SCE used a venator, 3 longstrikes and javelin prosecutors to snipe both my hags on turn 1 and then sacrificed the prosecutors to hold up my advance. The deal got pretty much sealed when I lost the roll off for turn 3 and Celestant Prime came down and smashed my bloodwrack shrine with Ghal Moraz...

Oh well, can't win em all and I was pretty unlucky that the -1 to hit didn't save my hags from shooting early on. 

The bloodsisters were really good, I think I'm going to try and fit them into my draichi ganeth list to speed it up a bit by reducing the model count. Draichi are still my faves but I want to give all the other builds a go and I really need to get on with painting Morathi so I can actually get a game with her. I can bring myself to put her on the table with one wing and no head...

7 hours ago, Richelieu said:

So glad your flavorful army did well.  I suspect even kunnin rukk would fall to a more tournament optimized snake list.

So true, Richelieu, I definitely confirmed my fears of being so weak defensively. While I did well, the Fanatical Faith save did NOTHING in almost every game. No joke, I made like 6-7 in all 5 games. Draichi Ganeth +1 to hit ability was brutal. It made my combats just devastating to my opponents on my charges. I found my Blood Sisters were even better offensively than I suspected they would be. Having the four Medusa’s did little for me as well in terms of shooting.  There were more big things or chunky things like bull centaurs  and fewer horde units other than the Fyreslayers I faced. Overall, I’m satisfied with keeping the army as is, but possibly I’ll make my general ride the Bloodwrack Shrine. 

Just gonna come right out and ask

Anyone got any super competitive lists to hand or too early to judge? 

I know build your own is best as you may not know the intended play style but really interested to hear what looks to be strong builds / my lists don't stack up after I've built and painted it all :|

*Bring out your filth* :D

Even the best armies can crash to someone who is not familiar playing them. I’m a huge proponent of finding your own army that fits for you. For instance, I love big, scary units of Blood Sisters smash-mouthing right into the enemy, but other people may enjoy more balance between magic, shooting, and combat. I really think you should find your own “fit” or you’ll always end up feeling that you’re playing with somebody else’s toys. Just my opinion.

Yeah that's fair enough and makes sense. Just trying to take a competitive approach this time as I've just started playing tournaments. My other armies have been buy what I like and make a list but then after all the time I poured into painting an army I can't compete which then makes my disheartened about my own army. Don't get me wrong I enjoy just playing but it'd be nice to be in contention. 

I'm just starting daughters and pretty much like the whole range of models. I'm going to really try and research it this time before the time investment. 

That should would still like to see lists if anyone has any in mind. 

21 minutes ago, SuperKick said:

Just gonna come right out and ask

Anyone got any super competitive lists to hand or too early to judge? 

I know build your own is best as you may not know the intended play style but really interested to hear what looks to be strong builds / my lists don't stack up after I've built and painted it all :|

*Bring out your filth* :D

I have played several ultra competitive games against strong opponents (Maggotkin, Mixed Order with 3-4 Pheonixes, Changehost, Sylvaneth, SCE) with different builds. Will be playing against LoN on Wednesday. I posted reports in this thread with full lists. But right now it's safe to say that :

Slaughter Queen Cauldron, HagQueens on foot, Witches(min 30), 1-2 Heartrenders units are safe bet for any comeptitive list.

Right now I will testing 

HaggNar 

Bloodwrack Shrine with Amulet of Fire General - Steed of Shadows 

HagQueen on Cauldron with 2 prayers item 

Morathi - Mindrazor 

Hag Queen 

10 Blood Sisters 

30 Sisters of Slaughter with Knives 

10 Sisters of Slaughter with Bucklers 

2x5 Heartrenders 

SlaughterTroupe 

Archived