So this year me and my family moved to Paris and I accidentally  bumped on Games Workshop on the internet.I saw there are a few shops in Paris near me so I decided to give it a go.I bought an essentials kit and a few space marines (the starter kit of 3) so i could learn to paint, as well as getting started with age of sigmar (book).

SO, in September it's my birthday and i was thinking about buying a start collecting box and that's where the problem starts.

I like the beastclaw raiders a lot (also slaves to darkness and seraphon), but i was worried that I may not have the skill to paint them. Of course I don't have enough money or skill to go with white, so i was a thinking about a brown color scheme. (probably mournfang brown with some drybrushing)

I probably have enough paint from my citadel essentials box set to paint ogres and I also heard they are cheaper to collect because they have a very small army.

So are beastclaw raiders a good choice for a first army or do you think i should buy something like slaves to darkness or seraphon?

( Also if it's not too much could you show me a beastclaw model ( and a carnosaur if you have him) in comparison to a hand picture because i am not sure of the size)

Thank you for reading.

Sounds like you like beastclaw raiders the best so I would just go with them, as far as not painting good enough I wouldn't worry about that to much just watch some videos on painting them and give it a go.

If you like the look of Beastclaw, then do the Beastclaw.

I don't think they'll be that hard to paint, I think you'll be able to get away with a lot of drybrushing on the furs that go with the army, and flesh is pretty easy to paint to a simple level (Basecoast + Wash + Highlight). They just got an amazingly good value start collecting set also, so no better time to start.

Go ahead, if you like the models, take them.

The Start Collecting! Box is around 860 Points with a Frostlord on Stonehorn and even legal to play. 

Beastclaw_Raiders_Start_Collecting.PNG.9c2f5183d3b79089dfef643dffa76873.PNG

And if you're afraid of painting the models, there are plenty of tutorial videos on how to paint them. 
But the most important thing is: thin your paints! Really.

4 hours ago, Brother_Captain said:

Go ahead, if you like the models, take them.

The Start Collecting! Box is around 860 Points with a Frostlord on Stonehorn and even legal to play. 

Beastclaw_Raiders_Start_Collecting.PNG.9c2f5183d3b79089dfef643dffa76873.PNG

And if you're afraid of painting the models, there are plenty of tutorial videos on how to paint them. 
But the most important thing is: thin your paints! Really.

Thanks but also what do you recommend as a general i heard there are 4 options.

3 hours ago, Aginor said:

Seraphon Start Collecting box is meh. If you want to play competitively Beastclaw is probably the best choice.

I dont want to play too competitively I justwant a box with a decent number of points so i can quickly get to 1000 point(usual tournament size in paris)so yeah i'll be taking BCR and maybe for later ill go and buy another thundertusk.

Thanks for replaying!

16 hours ago, PowerCreep said:

So this year me and my family moved to Paris and I accidentally  bumped on Games Workshop on the internet.I saw there are a few shops in Paris near me so I decided to give it a go.I bought an essentials kit and a few space marines (the starter kit of 3) so i could learn to paint, as well as getting started with age of sigmar (book).

SO, in September it's my birthday and i was thinking about buying a start collecting box and that's where the problem starts.

I like the beastclaw raiders a lot (also slaves to darkness and seraphon), but i was worried that I may not have the skill to paint them. Of course I don't have enough money or skill to go with white, so i was a thinking about a brown color scheme. (probably mournfang brown with some drybrushing)

I probably have enough paint from my citadel essentials box set to paint ogres and I also heard they are cheaper to collect because they have a very small army.

So are beastclaw raiders a good choice for a first army or do you think i should buy something like slaves to darkness or seraphon?

( Also if it's not too much could you show me a beastclaw model ( and a carnosaur if you have him) in comparison to a hand picture because i am not sure of the size)

Thank you for reading.

Beastclaw Raiders are actually very easy to paint. The fur is done with dry brush, which is just about the easiest technique to learn. Games Workshop's Duncan has a how-to video for painting the Thundertusks that makes the entire process easy. You can use the same exact method for painting Mournfangs and Stonehorns if you wanted to, and even use the techniques you used for the fur on the fur of the Yhetee.

But yes, money is an issue. Using his technique requires a wide variety of paints. Don't be put off by the skill level requirement though, it's minimal.

44 minutes ago, Trout said:

Beastclaw Raiders are actually very easy to paint. The fur is done with dry brush, which is just about the easiest technique to learn. Games Workshop's Duncan has a how-to video for painting the Thundertusks that makes the entire process easy. You can use the same exact method for painting Mournfangs and Stonehorns if you wanted to, and even use the techniques you used for the fur on the fur of the Yhetee.

But yes, money is an issue. Using his technique requires a wide variety of paints. Don't be put off by the skill level requirement though, it's minimal.

A lot of paints?i picked the color from the video named "how to paint fur"" also from warahmmer tv.its just a base of mournfang brown, and a drybrush, very easy.How hard are flesh eater courts to paint i heard they are good as well (by good i mean the best army in Aos

42 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

There is no objective best army, no point getting into that line of thinking. The game is ever evolving.

Skin tends to be quite a challenge to paint thanks to the requirement of smooth layers and subtle shading and highlighting. 

You are totally right but 130mm base terroghiast IS FREAKIN AWESOME'.

also is there any sommuning in flesh eater army?

22 minutes ago, PowerCreep said:

also is there any sommuning in flesh eater army?

Have you heard of the age of sigmar app? You can get it on your phone or iPad. It's amazing! It's free to download and all of the warscrolls are free to download within the app. As excited as you seem about the game (rightfully so, I'm excited about it too!), I think you'd love just reading through warscrolls and learning about the armies and their troops. 

Even reading about armies your not interested in is fun and helpful. Knowing your enemy is a very important point in order to do well. E.g., a skaven warlord, or a skaven chieftain with battlestandard die like a fly, but if you dont know how much he improves the army, you wouldn't know to take him out before it's too late. 

As for flesh eater courts, their main strength is in bringing models back from the dead, e.g. regenerating wounds and regenerating units. So if you have a unit of 20 ghouls and 3 die, you get d6 back and say you roll a 6 you will get 3 back to cap the unit back to 20 (can't have more than its original size). Or with crypt horrors you roll 6 dice and any 5 or 6 gives you a crypt horror back. This is different than summoning because summoning requires points left in reserve. Regenerating doesn't require points, which is so good!

1 hour ago, Flood said:

Have you heard of the age of sigmar app? You can get it on your phone or iPad. It's amazing! It's free to download and all of the warscrolls are free to download within the app. As excited as you seem about the game (rightfully so, I'm excited about it too!), I think you'd love just reading through warscrolls and learning about the armies and their troops. 

Even reading about armies your not interested in is fun and helpful. Knowing your enemy is a very important point in order to do well. E.g., a skaven warlord, or a skaven chieftain with battlestandard die like a fly, but if you dont know how much he improves the army, you wouldn't know to take him out before it's too late. 

As for flesh eater courts, their main strength is in bringing models back from the dead, e.g. regenerating wounds and regenerating units. So if you have a unit of 20 ghouls and 3 die, you get d6 back and say you roll a 6 you will get 3 back to cap the unit back to 20 (can't have more than its original size). Or with crypt horrors you roll 6 dice and any 5 or 6 gives you a crypt horror back. This is different than summoning because summoning requires points left in reserve. Regenerating doesn't require points, which is so good!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!Also what army did you choose?I am debating between Flesh eaters and beastclaw raiders.

Both look awesome and are not too expansive to collect in comparison to some other faction (FEC units can be converted to bunch of others, start collecting box alone gives you a huge amount of choices, and BCR have a small unit count)

2 hours ago, PowerCreep said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!Also what army did you choose?I am debating between Flesh eaters and beastclaw raiders.

You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy the app :). 

I play a Skaven army. I've been playing since 8th edition, so I have like 6000 points of skaven stuff. Honestly I love my skaven and they have a ton of different unit types that are very fun to play with, but if I could start over I'd either do Stormcast, Ironjawz, or Flesh Eater Courts.

Flesh eater courts have an awesome start collecting box. You can buy 2 of them and have a pretty nice force! You build one of the terrorgheist as a ghoul king on zombie dragon and the other as a terrorghiest. You make 6 crypt horrors, and 2 units of 10 ghouls (to satisfy the battle line requirement for matched play). In the future when you save enough money you can buy a 3rd start collecting box and sell off the terrorgheist for most of your money back. Then you can have another 10 ghouls to make a unit of 20 ghouls and a unit of 10 ghouls, and build the 3 crypt horrors as the optional crypt flayers. 

So your list to start would be something like

Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon

20 Ghouls

10 Ghouls

6 Crypt Horrors

3 Crypt Flayers

Terrorgheist

And you can continue to build from there! Good additions for the future would be Abhorrant Ghoul King and Varghulf Courtier. 

31 minutes ago, Flood said:

I play a Skaven army. I've been playing since 8th edition, so I have like 6000 points of skaven stuff. Honestly I love my skaven and they have a ton of different unit types that are very fun to play with, but if I could start over I'd either do Stormcast, Ironjawz, or Flesh Eater Courts.

Flesh eater courts have an awesome start collecting box. You can buy 2 of them and have a pretty nice force! You build one of the terrorgheist as a ghoul king on zombie dragon and the other as a terrorghiest. You make 6 crypt horrors, and 2 units of 10 ghouls (to satisfy the battle line requirement for matched play). In the future when you save enough money you can buy a 3rd start collecting box and sell off the terrorgheist for most of your money back. Then you can have another 10 ghouls to make a unit of 20 ghouls and a unit of 10 ghouls, and build the 3 crypt horrors as the optional crypt flayers. 

20 Ghouls

10 Ghouls

6 Crypt Horrors

3 Crypt Flayers

Terrorgheist

And you can continue to build from there! Good additions for the future would be Abhorrant Ghoul King and Varghulf Courtier. 

well i found two things i could use as first army beyond start collecting FEC:

http://mobile.hobbyshop.fr/heroic-fantasy/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/start-collecting-beastclaw-raiders-5011921088188-15157.html

and i also found this deal called battleforce on some website, which come with:

- 1 Terrorgheist
- 1 Crypt ghast courtier
- 29 crypt ghouls
- 6 Crypt horrors

Also do you think i could run a vampire lord instead of another terrorgheist?i heard its really good.

35 minutes ago, Flood said:

20 Ghouls

10 Ghouls

6 Crypt Horrors

3 Crypt Flayers

Terrorgheist

also you forgot that flesh eater courts need some courtiers, so ill just one ghoul and one crypt horror for them

39 minutes ago, PowerCreep said:

Also do you think i could run a vampire lord instead of another terrorgheist?i heard its really good.

As the rules currently stand you cannot run a vampire lord with Flesh Eater Courts because you will break the FEC allegiance, since the vampire lord does not have the FEC keyword. 

BUT the GHB2017 is coming out next month and they have this new thing called "allies," which allows you to bring a certain number of "allies" without breaking your allegiance. For a 2000 point game, you can bring 400 points of allies. Unfortunately, a vampire lord on Zombie Dragon is 440 points, so you still couldn't use him in a 2000 point game with FEC without breaking allegiance :(. You'd have to play 2500 points, which most people don't do. Most games are played at 2000 points. Anyway, I don't think it would be a good idea to take vampire lord on zombie dragon as well as ghoul king on zombie dragon anyway - I think it would be more efficient to take the terrorgheist as a monster. 

There is an awesome game on the Twitch Warhammer TV channel from the Wednesday before last where Ben Johnson uses his FEC against Ben Curry's Chaos Dwarfs. It's totally worth a watch if you are interested in FEC :). You'll have to subscribe to watch the back log of videos, but if you have Amazon Prime you get a free subscription. Tons of good battles to watch! 

38 minutes ago, PowerCreep said:

also you forgot that flesh eater courts need some courtiers, so ill just one ghoul and one crypt horror for them

And yes, I forgot that a Courtier needs to be your general to make Crypt Horrors or Crypt Flayers battle line! :0

52 minutes ago, Flood said:

As the rules currently stand you cannot run a vampire lord with Flesh Eater Courts because you will break the FEC allegiance, since the vampire lord does not have the FEC keyword. 

BUT the GHB2017 is coming out next month and they have this new thing called "allies," which allows you to bring a certain number of "allies" without breaking your allegiance. For a 2000 point game, you can bring 400 points of allies. Unfortunately, a vampire lord on Zombie Dragon is 440 points, so you still couldn't use him in a 2000 point game with FEC without breaking allegiance :(. You'd have to play 2500 points, which most people don't do. Most games are played at 2000 points. Anyway, I don't think it would be a good idea to take vampire lord on zombie dragon as well as ghoul king on zombie dragon anyway - I think it would be more efficient to take the terrorgheist as a monster. 

There is an awesome game on the Twitch Warhammer TV channel from the Wednesday before last where Ben Johnson uses his FEC against Ben Curry's Chaos Dwarfs. It's totally worth a watch if you are interested in FEC :). You'll have to subscribe to watch the back log of videos, but if you have Amazon Prime you get a free subscription. Tons of good battles to watch! 

And yes, I forgot that a Courtier needs to be your general to make Crypt Horrors or Crypt Flayers battle line! :0

Oh sorry i didnt phrase myself right i don't want a pure flesh eater army i just want a death army and start collecting flesh eaterts is the best choice.

In match play rules you can bring an alliance, all though yes FEC abilites are better, but that doesn't really matter at 1000 points since having 2 guys on dragons SEEMS WAY OVERPOWERED (most games in Paris are at 1000 so ye.)

But ye still not chosen which one i want beastclaw or FEC.Well i got time till september.

Anyway thanks for replying :P

Archived