From the Fen (a Fimir Blog)

Shearl

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and decided it was about time to join and contribute.

First a bit of fluff (might not be for everyone, I'm not a professional writer :D)

Start

Kernitz hobbled down the rough road leaning heavily on his gnarled staff. While the man’s form was wizened with age, within him dwelled powers which could only bestowed by dark, unspeakable evils. Kernitz passed the hours each day toiling as a scribe within the grand libraries of Arnsburg, it was there, surrounded by books describing the world that was, that he began his path to enlightenment. At first he studied in secret and eagerly consumed as much of the forbidden truths as he could find within the ancient tombs. Eventually Kernitz found kindred spirits in the forms of other scholars, and those who ventured outside the city walls, namely foreign merchants and returning soldiers; some bringing the insights only firsthand accounts could provide. It was then that Kernitz realized incredible knowledge, and through it, power, lie hidden awaiting the eager mind.

Kernitz frequented the gatherings of the city’s coven, yet over the decades he had grown increasingly disgruntled with the timid goals of the cult. Many of his fellow worshipers of the blessed Changer sought a subtle approach and devised ways to slowly infiltrate the hierarchy of the city, eventually bringing enlightenment to its inhabitants. Yet as each year passed he became more aculty aware of his dwindling form. While his devotion was great and he had grown adept with the arcane, his lord had not gifted him with any boons to extend his life or augment his physical vessel. No, blessings require achievements he thought to himself. And if he was to attract the attention of his god it would have to be of his own volition, and not with those cowards in the city.

It was this quest for power and glory that led Kernitz from the city, along the untamed path and through a blanket of fog. In this mire dwell the key to my ascension he mused. For a fortnight his scrying and meditations had shown him images of singular eyes peering out from the mist accompanied by unknown words spoken in a guttural tongue. It was here in the fen which he determined he would meet these mysterious beings and through their partnership, bring change to the realms.

The deeper he ventured into the bog the more his skin began to tingle, the dark energy of these creatures began to mingle with his own aura. While thickness of the fog prevented him from seeing far, he could feel himself nearing his destination.  Eventually he heard a scuffling along the road, and a number of hunched forms began to materialize, becoming clearer as they grew closer. The creatures stood a head taller than Kernitz, their skin a moist molted earthy green. Their mouths were lined with an assortment of jagged teeth and their long heads bore a single, cruel eye. Their bodies were adorned in an assortment of bronze plates and scales, resting on top of clothing made from patched together cloth. The largest of the beings stood at the front of the assembly, clad in a tunic of yellow wool, of a higher quality than the others. Upon its head rested a bronze helmet decorated with swirling patterns as well as a fish carved from gold rising from its central crest.

“I have ventured from the city to seek your aid, together we have the potential to bring about ruin upon the foes of the dark gods”. Kernitz said to inhuman figures.

The creatures began to chatter amongst themselves in their dark language and their four fingered hands began to tighten around their massive clubs. Kernitz strained to decipher what they said, the stray word or occasional phrase he managed to recognize. While mostly foreign to him, he noted that their language was undoubtedly possessed a demonic legacy. After several minutes of conversation the lead creature turned to Kernitz.

“And to which of the pantheon do you kneel human?” questioned the creature in a low wet voice.

“I am a follower of the Changer of Ways, the Great Deceiver.” He answered. “You speak of Tzeentch” the being responded. Upon hearing his deity’s name spoken out loud Kernitz recoiled involuntarily, he and the others in the coven refrained from speaking his full name in vain, only uttering it during the darkest of rituals. His obvious physical discomfort drew the amusement of the creatures, as several emitted what Kernitz could only assume to be laughter. Kernitz felt his anger grow, he came to this place to secure their aid, not provide them entertainment.

“Answer me creatures, will you join me in bringing glory to my god’s name, or will you slink back to your swa---.“ Kernitz was unable to finish his sentence as the knobbed tail of the creature lashed out slamming into his side. Kernitz crumpled onto the ground, his ribs shattered and flecks of blood beginning to gather on his lips and beard. He tried to call upon his powers and tap into the winds of magic around him, yet his head swam and he mouth refused to emit words. 

“We care not for the glory of the absent gods, especially the damned Tzeentch, not after the fate of the Hell Mother.” The creature said as it loomed over the dying man. Fear flashed across Kernitz’s eyes as the creature raised its club into the air, and swung down smashing the broken man.

End

Alright with that out of way let's get down to business. Fimir are strange and quirky swamp monsters and I've decided I want to build and paint a playable force of them. One serious issue with this stems from the fact their range is devoid of units or heroes, the decision to make the Fimir Nobel a unit champion instead of hero still gets me. Regardless I'll be making use of "counts as" units, but my focus is more on the painting and model aspect of the hobby rather than playing.

As a word of warning I plan on casting a few small parts for ease of conversion. I do not intend to sell anything nor seek "free" miniatures from casting entire models. This will primarily be heads here and there and maybe press molds of armor pieces to convert future units.

Thanks and here's a quick picture, (I think a blog should always start with a picture) I hope to improve my photography over time. If anyone has any suggestions about what they'd like to see please feel free let me know!

Awesome story!  I've been wondering if fimir in AoS have retained their daemon loving ways or if they've seen the light and joined Gorkamorka's camp since they're destruction aligned now.  Definitely interested in seeing and reading where you go next!

Thanks guys! 

Uruk_Guy: Fluff wise I think my force will still enjoy the company of daemons, yet aren't fans of the gods. So they'd be more likely to team up with some ogres or greenskins than chaos worshipers. But I think my fimir will primarily be focused on raiding, and possible a far darker goal...

Time for a small update. I was able to get my hands on the old fimir dirach, and while it's original head is rather characterful I decided to replace it with a copy of the FW open mouth head. I sculpted a few horns on his head (I'll be sure to come up with a pseudo-gaelic word for them) and added a bag from an ogre set, as the model was looking rather plain. I'm thinking of adding something to his staff as well as it's pretty barren, let me know if you have any suggestions.     

I realize it's hard to make out many details of the head, unfortunately my resin is white,

dri1.jpg.de82046a61d5be7a6b2853b9667653d3.jpg

dri2.jpg.56e853fafc7864ddad7a3c1400a8fe3e.jpgdri3.jpg.52ae2f4be3e2bed67633c8c86d1a84f2.jpg

And luckily the size difference between him and the new models isn't too bad.

comparison.jpg.78f53788dbbb669f5a10bded6bd91d06.jpg

I also decided to include a couple non-fimir models just to give an indication of my painting ability. I'm not ready for GD but I'm happy with my results.

ex1.jpg.7e66e39db1dfaba2b486fa01711c38e9.jpg

ex2.jpg.63cdb2fdc5905fd7ce15ba56ee11b7c5.jpg

Thanks Dead_Ghost! 

I spent a little time playing around with posing my fimir warriors. As I got these off ebay, the seller had them for a while (they came with square bases) and one of their two handed clubs is broken. I figure this is a great opportunity to create a standard bearer, of course the wooden pole is just a stand in and the banner itself is replaceable. 

Option A

597ad56d0e271_optiona.jpg.2b9402e27b61892d49b860cfe2cee826.jpg

Option B

597ad57e781cb_optionb.jpg.dd0f3809c6fe8567810f70cd7b985de7.jpg

Option C

597ad5915495f_optionc.jpg.c9186f0afdd7808386758fcfbd279bff.jpg

I'm also considering playing around with one of the warriors by giving him the wooden cage from the giant set.

597ad61426759_cagea.jpg.ffdce063e66f80c2a3ebdca52b7c0e1b.jpg

597ad62204a2d_cageb.jpg.a11d2694a6e5f7af14003660df6246c7.jpg

Looking good! I had a similar issue with a broken staff and have opted for a banner. The warscroll also shows they can be equipped with a horn as a unit musician so been fiddling with one of those. Very jealous of your resin heads, I've been mucking about with green stuff and it's killing me [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I prefer option A personally due to how he's (it's?) advancing beyond the banner to fight rather than shoving it out in front... but it's easy to over-analyse these things so just go with your gut - that's the one you'll be happiest with.

Cage Fimir's a winner!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it's a great motivator! I'm still mulling over which pose to go with on the standard bearer. 

Mohojoe: Yeah the resin heads will be pretty helpful, but for some conversions I have in mind I think I'll need to break out the green stuff... Fimir heads will be the most advanced thing I've tried thus far. Also I've taken a look at your fimir log and your stuff looks great, you're greenstuff head is shaping up nicely!

Hopefully I'll have some more pictures to add tonight but I did a bit more playing around with the cage guy. I've read about others frustration in assembling these models and I have to agree they're rather fiddly. Personally I'll be pinning as many pieces as possible. 

Quick update for you guys. I've finalized the poses for my three fimir warriors.

I ended up going with a variation on pose A foth the banner guy, and gave him a hand gesturing forward. (The hand is from a bloodbowl orc with a finger shaved off)

598192b05ea03_Flag1.jpg.1bcc99afdd1a4ffe5579bca8beb4c7cc.jpg

598192bacf9c8_Flag2.jpg.4d9043933414cdf45d5f57811876ec22.jpg

Here's the fimir with the cage, his hand is pinned but not glued. I plan on painting his body and hand/cage separately and then attaching them.

598192bf7e4f6_cage1.jpg.41cdbff50421328a30f378cf198a8304.jpg

And for the third fimir I decided to build him in the regular manner.

nf.jpg.94d175684e7ca35c1ef9a47eea3e5372.jpg

I've also been playing around with how I want to paint them using a few resin heads as practice. Here's what I think I'm going to go with.

598194294f63d_face1.png.96410c5c6580218b52d8b5164a7f6b8b.png

59819433c142c_face2.png.e37ae56392bdb4a6b5ad255f36168e29.png

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone, it's been a while!

My buddy got married, then classes started up again, Christmas, and now we're here. Unfortunately I find it difficult at times to break the momentum of inaction.  Fortunately I haven't totally neglected my Fimir and have progressed on their painting, I'll post recent pictures soon. What finally forced me to dust off the log was the package I received this morning.  

Thanks for sticking with me, hopefully I'll have a lot more to show soon!

5a889dea9147d_NewFimir.jpg.41def604b0a5b0d2226cc9106148bf8d.jpg

5 hours ago, Shearl said:

Hey everyone, it's been a while!

My buddy got married, then classes started up again, Christmas, and now we're here. Unfortunately I find it difficult at times to break the momentum of inaction.  Fortunately I haven't totally neglected my Fimir and have progressed on their painting, I'll post recent pictures soon. What finally forced me to dust off the log was the package I received this morning.  

Thanks for sticking with me, hopefully I'll have a lot more to show soon!

5a889dea9147d_NewFimir.jpg.41def604b0a5b0d2226cc9106148bf8d.jpg

Your stuff looks great please keeping updating really looking forward to your work!

ps. Following this 

@Double Misfire The realms can be a dark place...

@AthlorianStoners Thanks!

I've just thrown the noble in a bath then I'll get to work on him and some warriors. I'm not sure if I should do any serious conversions with this noble or wait till my next.

Here's a quick picture of my wip warriors: 

I based the banner art on that of an original fimir illustration, the shading isn't super apparent in this picture but I'll try to get some better closeups tomorrow. 

FW.jpg.df2d3fcc4f40e0a3f4c897ecfc4157f0.jpg

Archived