Standard and Musician, why not?

Andrezi

Hi All

I've not been playing Aos for long, (only a couple of games) but I cannot see that there is any reason not to take a musician and standard bearer when available. Am I missing something or is this really the case?

I had a thought to do this with the wardancer musician that carries a drum, uses two swords for drumsticks, and has a spear on her back (covering both the standard whirling blades and the additional champion's warstave as per warscroll). It's definitely wysiwyg for both champion and musician but was afraid to be seen as some waac player (even though just how much of an advantage it is to do so is questionable).

When i first read the rule I assumed taking a musician or standard meant that model replace his weapons with that equipment, which made more sense as to why it was free, and why you could choose to take multiples if you wanted. Obviously thats not the case though.

During the building of most of my models, I was under the impression that the musician and standard bearer are not armed unless the model shows that they are. Thus I skipped musicians and standard bearers in some units.

I think musicians and standard bearers are assumed to have the same weapons as the rest of the unit. In the description for a unit it tells you how it is armed, under the rules for banners, musicians, etc. it tells you that models may be drummers, etc. but not that they are unarmed.

I think this has been ruled on in the FAQS, although I cannot find the entry... It may also be slightly more complicated in units that can be armed in multiple way, but I definitely think they can attack.

5 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I think musicians and standard bearers are assumed to have the same weapons as the rest of the unit. In the description for a unit it tells you how it is armed, under the rules for banners, musicians, etc. it tells you that models may be drummers, etc. but not that they are unarmed.

I think this has been ruled on in the FAQS, although I cannot find the entry... It may also be slightly more complicated in units that can be armed in multiple way, but I definitely think they can attack.

It's definitely in the FAQ. Page 6, under Warscrolls and Warscroll Battalions:

"Q: How do models like horn blowers and standard bearers work? Do they lose the weapons they would otherwise carry, or do you just gain the benefits of the upgrades without penalty?

A: You just gain the benefits unless specifically stated otherwise. The model is assumed to still have any weapons it had before it was upgraded, even if the weapons are not shown on the model itself."

4 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

It's definitely in the FAQ. Page 6, under Warscrolls and Warscroll Battalions:

"Q: How do models like horn blowers and standard bearers work? Do they lose the weapons they would otherwise carry, or do you just gain the benefits of the upgrades without penalty?

A: You just gain the benefits unless specifically stated otherwise. The model is assumed to still have any weapons it had before it was upgraded, even if the weapons are not shown on the model itself."

Thanks man, I knew I'd seen it, but then made an embarrassingly bad attempt to find it :$

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

I think, in units that have the same wargear it isn't a problem.

I think it's more interesting for units that could have different wargear (Ardboyz of the Ironjaws).

Which weapons would you get them in case of wysiwyg?

I play them as if they have one hand weapon, no shield, or whatever off-hand option they might have, but that is personal preference.

In tournaments I've seen that people attach shields, or two-hand weapons to backs, belts and wherever else one might reasonably be. I'm ok with that and might even do it if I want to be more competitive!

Archived